Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Does Russia not have control over Syrian air space? I guess I am wondering if Israel needed anyone's permission\clearance to hit these targets and if so whose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does Russia not have control over Syrian air space? I guess I am wondering if Israel needed anyone's permission\clearance to hit these targets and if so whose?
Why would the Russians care? It's not their stuff getting hit and they agreed not to interfere with Israeli strikes back in February.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/russia-wants-to-get-iran-out-of-syria-netanyahu-says-after-putin-meet-1.6978647

Maintaining good relations with Israel is a higher priority.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Why would the Russians care? It's not their stuff getting hit and they agreed not to interfere with Israeli strikes back in February.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/russia-wants-to-get-iran-out-of-syria-netanyahu-says-after-putin-meet-1.6978647

Maintaining good relations with Israel is a higher priority.

Thanks, the last I had read was when Russia thought Israel had shot down one of their planes and was threatening to be more restrictive.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-saudi-nuclear/u-s-approved-secret-nuclear-power-work-for-saudi-arabia-idUSKCN1R82MG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorizations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-saudi-nuclear/u-s-approved-secret-nuclear-power-work-for-saudi-arabia-idUSKCN1R82MG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorizations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

The brotherhood of the international dryish fundamentalist petrostates in action I see.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
some good news, three of the saudi female activists have been temporarily released from prison, rumors that the rest will be released this sunday, again this is a temporary release, they appeared in court a few days ago detailing heartbreaking and horrible stories of torture and abuse:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-arrests-idUSKCN1R91S6

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Thanks, the last I had read was when Russia thought Israel had shot down one of their planes and was threatening to be more restrictive.
Russia can talk a good game but if push came to shove that is not a fight they'd win.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Russia can talk a good game but if push came to shove that is not a fight they'd win.

That might be overstating the case, but it's not a fight that's worth having as long as Israel isn't threatening the regime's survival, especially since the US is hyperfocused on supporting Israel. Israel and Russia both have red lines the other tries not to cross, and Netanyahu has met with Putin multiple times, so it's not like Israel is just doing whatever they want with no fear. They do get away with a lot though, and it's hard to say how much is because Russia is nervous about coming into conflict vs how much they actually like Israel keeping Iran from completely dominating the country, or at least from positioning aggressively against Israel and creating more headaches down the line. The war has been costly for Russia even as things stand, and they don't really stand to benefit from any kind of regional escalation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait since when has Israel been able to go toe to toe with Russia's military?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Russia's power projection isnt that great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Fighting close to home is a big advantage, they have solid capabilities, and it's an open question how capable Russia would be of moving enough forces to the area for a real fight (and how effective their vaunted AA system really is--Russian tech tends to be less impressive in practice than in theory). Israel clearly has more to lose though, and even winning a local war against a nuclear superpower creates risks as they look to save face, so it's not like taking a swing at Russia and hoping for an in theater knockout punch makes much sense. By that same token though, Israel's capabilities are sufficient to make Russia at least think long and hard about doing anything to escalate the situation themselves. Since neither one remotely wants a fight, they talk often and find a way to exist despite having seemingly conflicting interests in Syria. And of course it's unclear how much Russia really gives a poo poo about Iranians getting blown up.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

And of course it's unclear how much Russia really gives a poo poo about Iranians getting blown up.
I'll take "Not at all" for 400 Alex.

Going by how they reacted to those Wagner assholes who got whacked they don't even care much about Russians getting blown up.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

The Israelis blew up some top of the line Russian air defenses during one of the last big strikes and in general seem to still be able to get in and out of Syria without much issue. They have a very modern air defense network, plenty of anti-shipping platforms, and a superb Air Force so they can project a lot of hard power in the region if they choose to.

Russia, meanwhile, has little ability to move troops or sustain any kind of air campaign into the region. Those options they do have would be pretty easily interdicted similarly to Iranian shipments.

Keep in mind that Russia is a kleptocracy led by a guy who projects an image of military strength - if poo poo goes sideways in a conflict with Israel not only does his image take a hit domestically, but the Russian defense industry and the $$$ that brings into important people's bank accounts could dry up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This sounds dicey:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...7NeVqAav1RUKWQA

I guess Israel has never given a gently caress, but the proxy war is pretty direct at times.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
Why did they not use the F-35 ?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

If I remember correctly, it was syrians mistaking the trace of the russian plane with that of the Israel's fighters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Super86 posted:

Why did they not use the F-35 ?

Israel is an early-access subscriber and therefore can participate in the open beta of the F-35; however it's still not feature-complete.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
F-35 Air Citizen

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Cue a bunch of posters Arzying about every militia in the middle east acquiring nukes.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Warbadger posted:

The Israelis blew up some top of the line Russian air defenses during one of the last big strikes and in general seem to still be able to get in and out of Syria without much issue. They have a very modern air defense network, plenty of anti-shipping platforms, and a superb Air Force so they can project a lot of hard power in the region if they choose to.

Russia, meanwhile, has little ability to move troops or sustain any kind of air campaign into the region. Those options they do have would be pretty easily interdicted similarly to Iranian shipments.

Keep in mind that Russia is a kleptocracy led by a guy who projects an image of military strength - if poo poo goes sideways in a conflict with Israel not only does his image take a hit domestically, but the Russian defense industry and the $$$ that brings into important people's bank accounts could dry up.

The Israelis also defeated the Soviet Air Force over Egypt in the 1970s. The IAF is no joke.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Frond posted:

The Israelis also defeated the Soviet Air Force over Egypt in the 1970s. The IAF is no joke.

I thought they blow up the grounded Egyptian airforce in a surprise attack.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

I thought they blow up the grounded Egyptian airforce in a surprise attack.

The 60s and 70s are two different times.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

The 60s and 70s are two different times.

Ah! Yeah I misread that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

rich person slap fight

quote:

Bezos Investigation Finds the Saudis Obtained His Private Data

Our investigators and several experts concluded with high confidence that the Saudis had access to Bezos’ phone, and gained private information. As of today, it is unclear to what degree, if any, AMI was aware of the details.

We did not reach our conclusions lightly. The inquiry included a broad array of resources: investigative interviews with current and former AMI executives and sources, extensive discussions with top Middle East experts in the intelligence community, leading cyber security experts who have tracked Saudi spyware, discussions with current and former advisers to President Trump, Saudi whistleblowers, people who personally know the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman (also known as MBS), people who work with his close associate Saud al-Qahtani, Saudi dissidents, and other targets of Saudi action, including writer/activist Iyad el-Baghdadi.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeff-bezos-investigation-finds-the-saudis-obtained-his-private-information

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kushner dude.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

drat congrats Saud, didn't think you had it in you to pull off an operation as technically sophisticated as stealing the bezos dick pics. I mean the whole operation was insanely stupid in terms of like strategery and common sense, but still congrats on the execution.

For some reason that the fact that THIS of all things is the priority of the Saudi intelligence agency is really telling for some reason. Such a stupid and petty state, to waste its resources on such a terribly ill conceived operation. MBS had so little tolerance for WaPo saying impolite things about him just because he brutally murdered one of their employees that he started a personal feud with one of the richest and most powerful men in the United States. I'm sure this plan sounded real good in MBS's head right? This is some brain-genius politicking here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squalid posted:

drat congrats Saud, didn't think you had it in you to pull off an operation as technically sophisticated as stealing the bezos dick pics. I mean the whole operation was insanely stupid in terms of like strategery and common sense, but still congrats on the execution.

For some reason that the fact that THIS of all things is the priority of the Saudi intelligence agency is really telling for some reason. Such a stupid and petty state, to waste its resources on such a terribly ill conceived operation. MBS had so little tolerance for WaPo saying impolite things about him just because he brutally murdered one of their employees that he started a personal feud with one of the richest and most powerful men in the United States. I'm sure this plan sounded real good in MBS's head right? This is some brain-genius politicking here.

It's like hereditary wealth makes you dumb as poo poo but also incapable of ever realizing bad actions have consequences

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Squalid posted:

I mean the whole operation was insanely stupid in terms of like strategery and common sense, but still congrats on the execution.

If the execution were worth of congratulations, we wouldn't be speaking about this right now. I'm glad they were as sloppy as usual regarding their smear campaigns.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Squalid posted:

lmao I am willing to bet a toe on how this is the priority of the CIA as well

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really don't get how the hell you end up in a situation like this, was Trump so pissed about "liberals in Silicon Valley" his entourage decided they needed to get Saudis support to help get one of them "down*".

*Pants down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toplowtech posted:

I really don't get how the hell you end up in a situation like this, was Trump so pissed about "liberals in Silicon Valley" his entourage decided they needed to get Saudis support to help get one of them "down*".

*Pants down.

Trump hates the Washington Post and bezos owns it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Trump hates the Washington Post and bezos owns it.
Yet, this nonsense still leave a furious owner of the Washington post with half his gigantic fortune, his intact money-making company (amazon) and now a real reason to strike back. There is a Machiavelli quote about how to strike your enemies that said the people who decided to strike were idiots but i feel like we didn't need that confirmation. Maybe they wanted to scare the "other" billionaires. Well, now they can see Trump is dangerous for even the most rich people, i doubt it will help.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 31, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MBS is as dumb as Kushner sometimes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

MBS is as dumb as Kushner sometimes

Pretty much just as qualified for his position, too.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Toplowtech posted:

Yet, this nonsense still leave a furious owner of the Washington post with half his gigantic fortune, his intact money-making company (amazon) and now a real reason to strike back. There is a Machiavelli quote about how to strike your enemies that said the people who decided to strike were idiots but i feel like we didn't need that confirmation. Maybe they wanted to scare the "other" billionaires. Well, now they can see Trump is dangerous for even the most rich people, i doubt it will help.

You're overthinking this, MBS is just trying to score some brownie points with the big dumb babyman who keeps selling him bombs to drop on school buses.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Turkey had municipal elections yesterday. Amongst other things, it looks like the opposition won Ankara and probably eked a win out in Istanbul(though the AKP may be cheating to get their candidate over the finish line) and several other less significant but still significant cities.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

You're overthinking this, MBS is just trying to score some brownie points with the big dumb babyman who keeps selling him bombs to drop on school buses.

MBS ALSO had his own motive in that the WP was still making noise about 'the Saudis murdered one of our employees' at that point.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Elyv posted:

Turkey had municipal elections yesterday. Amongst other things, it looks like the opposition won Ankara and probably eked a win out in Istanbul(though the AKP may be cheating to get their candidate over the finish line) and several other less significant but still significant cities.

The main story is obviously that the CHP won Ankara and Istanbul, but it should be noted that the AKP didn't lose overall, they even slightly improved, compared to the last local elections. The fascist MHP fell from 17 to 7% though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cebrail posted:

The main story is obviously that the CHP won Ankara and Istanbul, but it should be noted that the AKP didn't lose overall, they even slightly improved, compared to the last local elections. The fascist MHP fell from 17 to 7% though.

honestly that seems even better from an outside point of view

what happened to precipitate that disintegration?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cebrail posted:

The main story is obviously that the CHP won Ankara and Istanbul, but it should be noted that the AKP didn't lose overall, they even slightly improved, compared to the last local elections. The more openly fascist MHP fell from 17 to 7% though.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

MHP’s topline is hard to compare since they were in the opposition in the last local elections. They ran more candidates and the literal Moderate Fascist IYI Party hadn’t splintered away from them yet. Now MHP is aligned with AKP, and they agreed not to run in certain places and split the right-wing vote. They did well in some small seats, but they lost Mersin and Adana. AKP would clearly miss that 50% national popular vote visual threshold without MHP, so the elections were a mixed bag for them.