Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Choosing the lesser evil is not a strategy. It’s not something you plan. It’s what you do when you have a multiple choice question where all the answers suck. The reason it’s important in politics is that it is better than not choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

The thing you appear to be missing is that literally no one in this thread has suggested Biden would be a good candidate.

Again it's like I am being wilfully misinterpreted. I haven't implied that anyone was here arguing that Biden was "good"- I have specifically attacked the ideology of lesser-evilism that has long dominated democratic strategy.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Eyes and noses on the prizes taxes:

https://i.imgur.com/6IGY2FB.mp4

From the cute thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769444

Edit: For cuter URL.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 2, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol how many people do you think actually like their health insurance? I think sub-10% is a very safe bet.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Prester Jane posted:

Again it's like I am being wilfully misinterpreted. I haven't implied that anyone was here arguing that Biden was "good"- I have specifically attacked the ideology of lesser-evilism that has long dominated democratic strategy.

You only think that because you’ve never voted in or worked on a primary election

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

The president is currently ranting puerto rico got more money than any other place in history.

What, that "place"?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

It's like I am being wilfully misinterpreted. Its not about one side being more or less evil than the other- its about refusing to fight for good things because accepting less-evil things is easier/safer.

I think accepting the lesser evil as a primary strategy is naive bolloxs that only makes sense if you have spent your life in a privileged bubble. Further the idea of always pursuing lesser-evilism makes it loving impossible to build a community of regular people- you might build a few associations of similarly priveleged people but you will never build the kind of community that is required to change politics.

What I am saying is that the left needs to start unapologetically fighting for good things. Doing that shows true leadership- and people respond to true leadership no matter how otherwise powerless the leader is. (See for example AOC, her popularity and power are derived from her unswerving pursuit of good things and her flat rejection of the lesser-evilism that has dominated democratic ideology for decades.)

Defeat them! Defeat the argument you're having in your head!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Sorry guys I'm not good at all this technical stuff: what does "premiums" mean?

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Let me tell you, my private insurance told me they weren't going to pay for my wife's Physical Therapy because it was only decreasing her pain level and not permanently curing her, and suggested we try useless home exercise instead. I really respected and loved them for that.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Stereotype posted:

You only think that because you’ve never voted in or worked on a primary election

Gone knocking doors with my underdog pro-union democratic candidate who was unpopular with the party. (He won.) Try again please.

Also- please try addressing the actual substance of my argumentc instead of finding an excuse to dismiss my opinion with a handwave.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1112906931868520452?s=21

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Also- please try addressing the actual substance of my argumentc instead of finding an excuse to dismiss my opinion with a handwave.
Nobody is saying that we have to pick Joe Biden

As far as I know, he literally has no supporters in the thread. I haven't seen a single poster come out in support of him as their favorite candidate, ever.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

As far as I know, he literally has no supporters in the thread. I haven't seen a single poster come out in support of him as their favorite candidate, ever.

I shook his hand once.

Would still rather vote for Warren.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boingboing.net/2019/04/01/antiantifa-not-a-thing.html/amp

:lol: the cover of this VERY REAL report by law enforcement. You can still see the swastika on the "Anti-Antifa" flag

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

theflyingorc posted:

I've openly come out in support of fundraising whatever amount it takes to literally chain biden to ryan for the rest of both of their lvies so he can dunk on him non-stop and they can deal with eachother

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pakled posted:

lol how many people do you think actually like their health insurance? I think sub-10% is a very safe bet.

Actually, this is a huge part of the problem, many many people like their health care and are afraid they'll lose it in whatever changeover. They're irrational and ignorant, but it still drives the health care debate.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

"Republicans will always support Pre-Existing Conditions."

"The Republican Party will be known as the Party of Great HealtCare."

HealtCare. HealtCare .HealtCare. HealtCare .HealtCare. HealtCare!

"Meantime, the USA is doing better than ever & is respected again!"

The spring is sprung.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Voters of the Democratic part probably don't pick their candidates because they are lesser or evil or even electaability. Shockingly, voters might like said candidate and policies. Saying we are sliding to fascism because of lesser evil voting seems dubious because all one has to do is look 2016. If you truly believe that HRC was evil but the lesser of evil (which is a whole other can of worms) but literally her being President would of been 1000x better for this country and not being fascist then electing a proto-fascist and giving them the keys to kingdom.

But since you lay this at the lesser of evil voting, can you give a specific example of what you are talking about, instead of talking in code?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pseudanonymous posted:

Actually, this is a huge part of the problem, many many people like their health care and are afraid they'll lose it in whatever changeover. They're irrational and ignorant, but it still drives the health care debate.

Health care, sure, I get that people like their primary care doctor or local hospital, but how many people like their health insurance?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

pseudanonymous posted:

It's not so much that they LIKE it - I maintain that any real contact with your health insurance is going to make you feel miserable - it's that they're scared to drop it. A bunch of people also are mentally invested in "I DONT GET PAID AS MUCH HERE, BUT THE BENEFITS ARE REALLY GOOD", and if you give them UHC, they'll lose a benefit at work.

(the company should pay them more to compensate)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Okay fine

Prester Jane posted:

Demonstrate to me how lesser-evilism has "long dominated" the ideology of the democratic party in primaries. I honestly cannot ever remember people bitching about having to choose the "lesser evil" in a primary election. Most primaries are pretty pathetic and lots of liberals have been apathetic or content for a long time so they didn't bother running, but it wasn't a party platform for gosh sakes.

In the general sure, you have to choose the lesser evil, but that is because one party is evil and one is not.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump continues to whine that Puerto Rico is getting too much relief money:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1112910106004504576

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1112915488424816640

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be damned. Trump really wants to run for re-election on "get rid of Obamacare and then elect us so we can put in a secret healthcare plan we totally have already worked out but you can't see." Like during the debates he's actually going to be asked "What's your healthcare plan" and answer "If I tell you the Democrats will steal it."

Again.

Quick! Someone ask him to expand on what he means by "support pre-existing conditions"! Because I have a 20 that says he has no idea what that phrase refers to.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

its super weird that he puts "place" in quotes like that. Like he might think Puerto Rico isn't even real so he can't call it a place without the quotes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stereotype posted:

its super weird that he puts "place" in quotes like that. Like he might think Puerto Rico isn't even real so he can't call it a place without the quotes.

Generously I imagine he wanted to say "state" but then he realized it isn't actually a "state" but he couldn't figure out a more intelligent way to say "US territory" or something.

But he might think its one of those Mexican countries Fox News talks about.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mooseontheloose posted:

ji
Voters of the Democratic part probably don't pick their candidates because they are lesser or evil or even electaability. Shockingly, voters might like said candidate and policies. Saying we are sliding to fascism because of lesser evil voting seems dubious because all one has to do is look 2016. If you truly believe that HRC was evil but the lesser of evil (which is a whole other can of worms) but literally her being President would of been 1000x better for this country and not being fascist then electing a proto-fascist and giving them the keys to kingdom.

But since you lay this at the lesser of evil voting, can you give a specific example of what you are talking about, instead of talking in code?
Hillary Clinton failed because she was an uninspiring corporate technocrat of the exact variety that inevitably rises to power when an institution embraces lesser-evilism. Hillary campaigned to become CEO of American International Interests LLC, not to become leader of the free world. Hillary's entire approach to campaigning was lesser-evilism personified- and the American people did not respond to that strategy.

Please listen to what I am specifically saying in these posts- I haven't addressed Democratic voters outside of arguing that lesser-evilism cannot unite enough regular people to create a community that changes politics. (And that is demonstrably true and we have a very recent example that makes this case plainly).

Please parse what I am saying catefully- it is entirely irrelevant to my argument whether or not Hillary would have been a better President than Trump. What I am arguing is that Hillary's embrace of lesser-evilism made her defeat effectively inevitable because it massively depresses support for her among regular (not necessarily woke or democratic) voters.

Lesser-evilism is a slippery slope that always ends in fascism- because it makes true resistance to fascism impossible.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I love it when the leader of my country is constantly bad mouthing the various parts of it he doesn't like.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mueller washing his hands of this poo poo really put a new wind in Trump’s sails Jesus Christ.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

theflyingorc posted:

It's not so much that they LIKE it - I maintain that any real contact with your health insurance is going to make you feel miserable - it's that they're scared to drop it. A bunch of people also are mentally invested in "I DONT GET PAID AS MUCH HERE, BUT THE BENEFITS ARE REALLY GOOD", and if you give them UHC, they'll lose a benefit at work.

(the company should pay them more to compensate)

For most people, the most memorable experience of 'changing healthcare' is when they got fired/switched jobs/had their benefits changed and either they had to change all their doctors or suddenly had a huge jump in premiums/deductibles, etc. Very few people are really happy, but lots of them have had experience with being hosed over by changes, so any indication of change makes them anxious because by now they're conditioned to (correctly) anticipate it means they're going to get hosed one way or another. So you have to work extra hard to break that assumption and convince people that it's actually possible for for a change to make things improve.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Haha, "Republicans support pre-existing conditions."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's me, I'm the one saying you Must Pick Joe!

actually I said he was destined to be an also-ran it he ever bothered to declare

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Stereotype posted:

Okay fine

Demonstrate to me how lesser-evilism has "long dominated" the ideology of the democratic party in primaries. I honestly cannot ever remember people bitching about having to choose the "lesser evil" in a primary election. Most primaries are pretty pathetic and lots of liberals have been apathetic or content for a long time so they didn't bother running, but it wasn't a party platform for gosh sakes.

In the general sure, you have to choose the lesser evil, but that is because one party is evil and one is not.

The majority of the pro-Hillary arguments in the 2016 primaries were premised on the idea that although she was far to the right of Bernie- progressives needed to support her because she was more "electable" than Bernie and no matter how bad she was on a given issue she was worlds better than Trump.

Lesser-evilism was imo the bedrock of Hillary's campaign both during the general and the primaries.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Z. Autobahn posted:

The thing about Biden is I think if he could win the primary, he could win the general, because all of the issues with him are the ones that most matter to various Dem voters.

...But I don't see any way he can win the Dem primary.

Except there will be more and more poo poo like this coming out and depressing dem turnout. The only people hyped about Biden are centrists and idiots who think the Biden jokes are real.

No he's not as bad as Trump but "less bad" and "not Trump" aren't strong motivators. Both of those were there in 2016 and we still lost.

The right may not care about sex pests but the left does.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Hillary Clinton failed because she was an uninspiring corporate technocrat of the exact variety that inevitably rises to power when an institution embraces lesser-evilism. Hillary campaigned to become CEO of American International Interests LLC, not to become leader of the free world. Hillary's entire approach to campaigning was lesser-evilism personified- and the American people did not respond to that strategy.

Please listen to what I am specifically saying in these posts- I haven't addressed Democratic voters outside of arguing that lesser-evilism cannot unite enough regular people to create a community that changes politics. (And that is demonstrably true and we have a very recent example that makes this case plainly).

Please parse what I am saying catefully- it is entirely irrelevant to my argument whether or not Hillary would have been a better President than Trump. What I am arguing is that Hillary's embrace of lesser-evilism made her defeat effectively inevitable because it massively depresses support for her among regular (not necessarily woke or democratic) voters.

Lesser-evilism is a slippery slope that always ends in fascism- because it makes true resistance to fascism impossible.

...candidates don't vote for the lesser evil. Voters do. Every word of this is gibberish because you don't understand the terms

Prester Jane posted:

The majority of the pro-Hillary arguments in the 2016 primaries were premised on the idea that although she was far to the right of Bernie- progressives needed to support her because she was more "electable" than Bernie and no matter how bad she was on a given issue she was worlds better than Trump.
This isn't true.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

We'd probably be better off with Dean instead of Kerry and electability was a big part of that primary.

But The Scream was really weird.

Mostly I think it's just the ghost of McGovern though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Prester Jane posted:

For someone complaining about being willfully misinterpreted, you sure were eager to quote and respond to my post with something you now claim is completely unrelated. It seems like we both feel misinterpreted and attacked, and I don't think you're wrong, it just seems like the thing you're attacking is something I never mentioned in the first place.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

RandomBlue posted:

Except there will be more and more poo poo like this coming out and depressing dem turnout. The only people hyped about Biden are centrists and idiots who think the Biden jokes are real.

No he's not as bad as Trump but "less bad" and "not Trump" aren't strong motivators. Both of those were there in 2016 and we still lost.

The right may not care about sex pests but the left does.

Er, maybe my post was badly worded, but that's exactly what I'm saying. All of Biden's problems are problems that affect the left, from his creepiness with women, his racist history, or being a pathetic corporate stooge. The only way he can win the primary is if these issues somehow are not a deterrent for Democrats, in which case he'll be fine in the general

(but they ARE a deterrent for Democrats, which is why he's going to lose the primary)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Biden is a likeable guy who represents a return to Obama-era politics, an attractive prospect to a lot of people.

This “handsy” stuff should sink him and even outside of that, god knows I don’t want him to be he nominee, but it’s not as if his appeal is a complete mystery.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Comrade Fakename posted:

Biden is a likeable guy who represents a return to Obama-era politics, an attractive prospect to a lot of people.

His Secretary of State... can't quite remember her name, but I'm pretty sure she ran for president at one point and it didn't work out so well. Why do people assume Biden would be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
What I wanna know is why people are just now talking about Biden.

We've known he was really weird with women even back when he was VP. Why is it a surprise now?