Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Hype for The Real Housewives of Orange County & Knuckles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Donkey Kong Divorce Island sounds like kind of a departure but I'm interested

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

romanowski posted:

well in order to be an effective prank it has to start with something remotely plausible

that being said it still was not a particularly effective prank

If it's the video I'm thinking of there's a guy remaking OoT and SM64 in Unreal Engine 4 and not an IGN thing.

It's a neat long-term project for them I guess. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Nintendo just dropped a bomb with a surprise Direct. Tons of incredible ports coming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpOkr0bTSwQ

I realized after watching it that "all the Final Fantasies except 8 are coming to the Nintendo Switch!" would fit right in there.

Except uh....

That actually happened. What a time to be alive.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they reduced my hearts truest desire to a meme. I yearned for oot on switch so hard

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
who is this leering jack o lantern mocking me

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yomawari :stare:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This is violence.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo just dropped a bomb with a surprise Direct. Tons of incredible ports coming:

Calling the Mario Bros movie the worst? gently caress you IGN.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I mean, it's not good as far as movies go

Video game movies, it's in the top five of all time

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mean.

Well done. But mean.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Diablo has a leader board? God, can you even imagine caring?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

American McGay posted:

I mean, the Switch already tracks generalized playtime. I doubt they figured normal people would have much use for the detailed information.

The best was in old 3DS threads where people would post their annual hour totals for each game and accidentally out themselves as pirates because the 3DS would recognize flashcards as some obscure game no one would put hundreds of hours into.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Imagined posted:

Diablo has a leader board? God, can you even imagine caring?

yes i can imagine that

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright, Blaster Master Zero 2 finished. Uhg.

BMZ1 is a game that is pretty meh for most of the game and then the last ~20% of the game gets real good and helps redeem it a lot.

BMZ2 is the exact opposite, the first 5 hours are real solid and fun ... and then the entire last 2 hours of the game are garbage loving terrible. Like, holy poo poo what the hell happened to this game.

Just a quick summary of the whole end game:
- You finally get to the final Area of the game... and the first three planets are just entirely boss refights with almost nothing changed. Not a big deal but just kind of really dull because you spend more time waiting for death animations and load screens than you do fighting the bosses who are comically easy by this point.

- You can't progress past the actual next boss fight until you go fetch 3 plot items, like we're suddenly a Shantae game now. They do absolutely nothing fun or interesting with this, it's just retreading back and forth through areas you've already finished with no changes, twice in two cases, and grabbing plot trigger items. This takes a while to do, especially since one of the people you need to find is not where you would expect him to be.

- After that, you get a very lengthy segment where you switch characters and have to be out of your tank in the side scrolling sections (the worst parts of the game easily). It's not a terrible segment on its own, but it's pretty slow and unexciting and completely unfitting for an end game area, and just continues further drag down all the momentum the game had built up until now.

- Finally there is a gimmick final boss fight which is dull. Followed by the real final boss fight which is laughably easy even by the standards of this series. Plot resolves itself via plot magic and no satisfying explanation. And that's it!

So yeah. Despite the strong start and great QoL improvements from the first game, this one is a pretty big stinker in my book. I have to wonder if they just ran out of time/money to work on it because it just feels outright unfinished. Also the music is a lot worse than BMZ1.

Oh yeah, and credit where it's due, the bizarro planet with the plant girl is one of the best areas in a metroidvania I've seen in a long time. It's hilarious and definitely the high point of the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 2, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright, Blaster Master Zero 2 finished. Uhg.

BMZ1 is a game that is pretty meh for most of the game and then the last ~20% of the game gets real good and helps redeem it a lot.

BMZ2 is the exact opposite, the first 5 hours are real solid and fun ... and then the entire last 2 hours of the game are garbage loving terrible. Like, holy poo poo what the hell happened to this game.

Just a quick summary of the whole end game:
- You finally get to the final Area of the game... and the first three planets are just entirely boss refights with almost nothing changed. Not a big deal but just kind of really dull because you spend more time waiting for death animations and load screens than you do fighting the bosses who are comically easy by this point.

- You can't progress past the actual next boss fight until you go fetch 3 plot items, like we're suddenly a Shantae game now. They do absolutely nothing fun or interesting with this, it's just retreading back and forth through areas you've already finished with no changes, twice in two cases, and grabbing plot trigger items. This takes a while to do, especially since one of the people you need to find is not where you would expect him to be.

- After that, you get a very lengthy segment where you switch characters and have to be out of your tank in the side scrolling sections (the worst parts of the game easily). It's not a terrible segment on its own, but it's pretty slow and unexciting and completely unfitting for an end game area, and just continues further drag down all the momentum the game had built up until now.

- Finally there is a gimmick final boss fight which is dull. Followed by the real final boss fight which is laughably easy even by the standards of this series. Plot resolves itself via plot magic and no satisfying explanation. And that's it!

So yeah. Despite the strong start and great QoL improvements from the first game, this one is a pretty big stinker in my book. I have to wonder if they just ran out of time/money to work on it because it just feels outright unfinished. Also the music is a lot worse than BMZ1.

Oh yeah, and credit where it's due, the bizarro planet with the plant girl is one of the best areas in a metroidvania I've seen in a long time. It's hilarious and definitely the high point of the game.

How do both compare to the original BM?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have only barely touched NES Blaster Master so I can't help you there. For some reason that's one I just never got around to playing through, but I'm just now realizing it's on the NES App so I might give it a whirl later.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Diablo switch is great handheld and docked. Me n fellow goon beastie bomber play it every now and then. Good game, good port. Need more arpg on switch.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also they’re a lovely unreliable company that tried to screw me out of a game that was never delivered to me.

The last few times I ordered games from them, I wouldn't get the games until a month later even though I chose a faster shipping method and was told the item was in-stock. I also found it was cheaper to shop at other importers and actually receive my items in a timely manner. This was before their garbage social media gamergate pandering.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I recently beat Blaster Master Zero 2, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the original Blaster Master. The original has a frustrating difficulty curve, where some on-foot bosses were very difficult without the best gun, so even getting hit once in the level leading up to the boss would mean likely failure. Plus, the tank controls are sometimes really frustrating, especially late-game. Still, there is something engaging about exploring the game world and finding secrets. It's an interesting game, but I never managed to beat it. BM02 is more fun and less frustrating. Gwyrgyn is right that the end of the game isn't the best part, but I still really enjoyed it overall.

I started playing StarTropics yesterday. It's a game that I never had as a kid, but always wanted to play. It's pretty fun so far, but it's a little mean sometimes. For example, I thought I discovered a secret room toward the beginning of the game, but it was actually a secret insta-death room. WTF, game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DorianGravy posted:

I started playing StarTropics yesterday. It's a game that I never had as a kid, but always wanted to play. It's pretty fun so far, but it's a little mean sometimes. For example, I thought I discovered a secret room toward the beginning of the game, but it was actually a secret insta-death room. WTF, game?

If I remember correctly, most of the gotcha rooms are actually in the earlier dungeons and the game lays off as you go further.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DorianGravy posted:

I recently beat Blaster Master Zero 2, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the original Blaster Master. The original has a frustrating difficulty curve, where some on-foot bosses were very difficult without the best gun, so even getting hit once in the level leading up to the boss would mean likely failure. Plus, the tank controls are sometimes really frustrating, especially late-game. Still, there is something engaging about exploring the game world and finding secrets. It's an interesting game, but I never managed to beat it. BM02 is more fun and less frustrating. Gwyrgyn is right that the end of the game isn't the best part, but I still really enjoyed it overall.

There's an entire dungeon based around this concept. lol, have fun.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm so impressed with the Pro Controller, I can use it for days without charging, and even when I got the low battery warning I still had a good hour before it was completely drained.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm so impressed with the Pro Controller, I can use it for days without charging, and even when I got the low battery warning I still had a good hour before it was completely drained.
The battery it uses is the 3DS battery, presumably because Nintendo already had a lot of them lying around or they could secure a good price on them. I'm no controller expert but I'd imagine it's much larger than a battery you'd find in a standard bluetooth controller.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DorianGravy posted:

Yeah like, BMZ2 is probably like 70% good game, but because all the bad comes at the very end it really drags it down pretty hard IMO. Most of the early stuff is real solid though, I especially appreciated all the improvements they made to the top down sections which play so much better now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If I remember correctly, most of the gotcha rooms are actually in the earlier dungeons and the game lays off as you go further.
Nah there's plenty more where that came from. Like there's a dungeon with multiple fake exits and taking any of them makes you have to redo the entire dungeon again from the beginning :shepface:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nah there's plenty more where that came from. Like there's a dungeon with multiple fake exits and taking any of them makes you have to redo the entire dungeon again from the beginning :shepface:

I never played StarTropics as a kid, so when I played it as an adult, I had zero nostalgia for it. The game is filled with TONS of bafflingly, antagonistically bad decisions, and I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone actually enjoys this game. It feels like a massive collective effort by the internet at large to gaslight me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Most of my memories of Star Tropics come from an old issue of Nintendo Power featuring it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having fun playing through custom robo arena again.

I hope a switch sequel gets made.

And man, I forgot how the final boss is literally a custom robo version of a fighting game character.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Kiranamos posted:

Dungeons & Brazzers is shaping up to be a real banger on the Switch.
I don't usually pre-order but I'm making an exception for Wayne Knight's Erotic Pinball.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Goddammit I have been humming the Wii Channel music all day, thanks to that April Fool’s video.

That’s almost worse than the taunting of OoT, Wind Waker and Minish Cap, because the Switch store is so dreadfully quiet. Just hammered home how great the Wii was for some things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HPanda posted:

Mean.

Well done. But mean.

They joke, but let's be honest; Wind Waker's almost certainly a matter of when, not if. Ditto for Twilight Princess.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I hope they port Skyward Sword, that and Zelda 2 are the only mainline games I haven't played.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I hope they port Skyward Sword, that and Zelda 2 are the only mainline games I haven't played.

skyward sword is pretty bad, unlike zelda 2

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

BGrifter posted:

Most of my memories of Star Tropics come from an old issue of Nintendo Power featuring it.

All of my memories of Maniac Mansion come from the Howard and Nester comic in an old Nintendo Power magazine :3:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They joke, but let's be honest; Wind Waker's almost certainly a matter of when, not if. Ditto for Twilight Princess.
Ehh this is way more doubtful than you make it out to be.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Get a one month online sub and then skyward sword can be your only unplayed like me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You all had better played Wand of Gamelon

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BGrifter posted:

:hfive:

Though admittedly I also played it with my brothers. Autofire controllers are the poo poo against mummies.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I get a little surprise jolt of joy every time I pick the thing up and it works. Unlike literally every other wireless game controller that is almost certainly dead right when I’m in the rare mood to play a game. Thanks Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I realized after watching it that "all the Final Fantasies except 8 are coming to the Nintendo Switch!" would fit right in there.

Except uh....

That actually happened. What a time to be alive.

All the 3d final fantasies except 8 you mean, I still can't play ff1-6 on the switch as far as I know