Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

OddObserver posted:

Well, the other alternatives were the unpopular incumbent and Yulia Timoshenko.

Hey now, Timoshenko still gets a non-trivial share of the vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

florida lan posted:

Hey now, Timoshenko still gets a non-trivial share of the vote!

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1112780863220191235

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Ukraine, this story is a wild ride. The Russian government ran an assassination program there that turned out to have very little to do with the Donbass war.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Does he look like a hitman or just one of the many taxi drivers I encountered in my small Ukrainian town

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Does he look like a hitman or just one of the many taxi drivers I encountered in my small Ukrainian town

I always assumed the taxi drivers were just hitmen picking up some extra cash on their days off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Guy is a... clown?

https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1113825872476348418?s=21

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Imo, Poroshenko is a bigger clown for taking the bait, and doing a blood test at the stadium today. All of it is so insanely absurd, I can't even imagine where Zelenskyi is going with this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Imo, Poroshenko is a bigger clown for taking the bait, and doing a blood test at the stadium today. All of it is so insanely absurd, I can't even imagine where Zelenskyi is going with this.

Well...
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kateryna_Kruk/status/1114186632633171969

Eastern Europe: the piss test is fake?
(Even if it was a blood test).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is he being tested for? Patriotism?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

What is he being tested for? Patriotism?

Poroshenko is said to be an alcoholic, and there are rumours about Zelenskyi doing coke.

Poroshenko pivoted so hard, he even proposed to make blood test a legal requirement next time around.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in the thread, but this is definitely the future European liberals want:

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1114615742610202625

/s

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, "soulless" might not be the best translation here since it has somewhat different connotations. The original is just literal
"devoid of spirituality/religion".

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, "soulless" might not be the best translation here since it has somewhat different connotations. The original is just literal
"devoid of spirituality/religion".

Yeah, that's true. "irreligious" or "faithless" may be better words here... but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian right also believes that gay people have no souls.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 7, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Having religion is so great, it has given the West such cool things as the Thirty Years War, the Saint Bartholomew's Day Massacre, or more recently the Charlie Hebdo shootings. How could anyone choose godless gays over pointless mass murders?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think religion is ever going away (the human need for meaning in the universe may be too strong), but the Russian right is pretty happy to tap into the deep Christian roots of the country while often not being particularly religious themselves. There used to be a joke that "every bugor (local mafia leader) now wears a cross" i.e. a bunch of murderers now believe they're religious adherents.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the thread, but this is definitely the future European liberals want:

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1114615742610202625

/s

Although the sentiment is all too real and not entirely unpopular, the article itself is actually fake.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Yanukovich's palace. I guess he didn't have enough icons.

in some Estonian news, conservative racists are getting ministry of interior for themselves. I predict that one of the first things they'll do is not allowing many more non-EU students or allowing only those from certain selected countries. And then they'll do something about the number of illegal foreign workers from Ukraine. I'm hoping that they would sooner punish the companies who use illegal workforce to get around immigration quotas and to not have to pay a fair wage.

The push for foreign workers is huge, the immigration cap for 2019 was reached in the first few days of January. IT and other high-tech workers are exempted from the quota, just like investors and those who get double national average wage, as are people from certain countries (USA, Japan).

I guess we'll just have to see how long this coalition lasts, hoping that they don't bankrupt the country until next elections are due. Healthcare and unemployment reserves have been dwindling over last few years. But not on what those reserves were meant for. Increased benefits, free public transport, so forth.

e: that party also wants to reverse all the increases in alcohol excises so people would buy their drinks locally and that Finns would come back for booze cruises.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 7, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Although the sentiment is all too real and not entirely unpopular, the article itself is actually fake.

Oops... missed that part. Can find a real article - pretty sure I've seen "гейропа" mentioned unironically elsewhere.

Edit: Here is a better article about where that term comes from and how its used.
From Evropa to Gayropa: A Critical Geopolitics of the European Union as Seen from Russia, Andrew Foxall
DOI link (but you can find in on sci-hub): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14650045.2017.1417848

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Paladinus posted:

To be honest, it's hard to distinguish real absurd Russian propaganda from fake one. I remember some older story about headless Ukrainian zombies fighting DPR soldiers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

To be honest, it's hard to distinguish real absurd Russian propaganda from fake one. I remember some older story about headless Ukrainian zombies fighting DPR soldiers.
It wasn't quite that egregious, but there was the zombies headline and they claimed that Ukraine injected their soldiers with a combat drug that kept them going even after being shot in the head. The thing is you can afford your propaganda to be *really* stupid when you manage to isolate your electorate from any other source of information, something Russia has been working on for quite a while.

Here in the Czech Republic Sputnik tried to spread the story but got laughed off everywhere but the conspiracy sites.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Teachers in Poland have gone on strike for pay, a vast majority of schools in the country are shut down. Teacher salaries have lagged behind the economic growth so badly over the last couple of decades that an experienced teacher in Poland makes about the same money as an entry-level corporate desk jockey, while a newly minted teacher makes about as much as an unqualified manual laborer, meanwhile a rushed and poorly thought out education reform has made their jobs more difficult. Frankly I'm surprised it took them this long to get really pissed.

The government, of course, negotiated in bad faith and only got Solidarity, now their pet right-wing union, to concede and back down. The negotiator from Solidarity, a member of PiS :laffo:, accepted an insulting offer at the last minute and pretty much told his union to scab, but dozens of local and school-level organizations have rebelled against the leadership and are striking anyway. Final exams for elementary and middle schoolers are scheduled to begin next week and who the gently caress knows what will happen to them. Government media are of course howling for blood, accusing the teachers of being greedy and "holding kids hostage", same as it always goes in these things.

Here's hoping the stubborn dumbasses in charge of this country realize what's at stake and cave. If they don't and God forbid the strike fails, I can absolutely envision mass resignations by teachers and outright understaffed schools this time next year.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My bandmate and I have toured Ukraine in the past, and he's currently in Germany. A recent conversation of ours went something like this.

"I should move to Odessa. It's cheaper, and I could make better music with the producers there."
"Dude, there's a presidential election going on."
"Oh poo poo."
"And the front runner is a TV actor."
"gently caress."
"A comedian parodying a president, even. And Tymoshenko is running again."
"Yeah, gently caress that, I'm staying here."

I dunno man the slovenian prime minister is an ex-comedian now and he's doing pretty well.

OTOH, he has to be doing well, because "the left" party only votes with him on issues they can agree on, and without them it's a minority coalition, and the right is too far removed from anyone else despite having the largest parliamentary party, lmao

Guildencrantz posted:

I can absolutely envision mass resignations by teachers and outright understaffed schools this time next year.

Ah, the american model of education, that always works well

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Teachers in Poland have gone on strike for pay, a vast majority of schools in the country are shut down. Teacher salaries have lagged behind the economic growth so badly over the last couple of decades that an experienced teacher in Poland makes about the same money as an entry-level corporate desk jockey, while a newly minted teacher makes about as much as an unqualified manual laborer, meanwhile a rushed and poorly thought out education reform has made their jobs more difficult. Frankly I'm surprised it took them this long to get really pissed.

The government, of course, negotiated in bad faith and only got Solidarity, now their pet right-wing union, to concede and back down. The negotiator from Solidarity, a member of PiS :laffo:, accepted an insulting offer at the last minute and pretty much told his union to scab, but dozens of local and school-level organizations have rebelled against the leadership and are striking anyway. Final exams for elementary and middle schoolers are scheduled to begin next week and who the gently caress knows what will happen to them. Government media are of course howling for blood, accusing the teachers of being greedy and "holding kids hostage", same as it always goes in these things.

Here's hoping the stubborn dumbasses in charge of this country realize what's at stake and cave. If they don't and God forbid the strike fails, I can absolutely envision mass resignations by teachers and outright understaffed schools this time next year.

Betsy DeVos sheds a tear of joy, wiping it away with one finger.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

jonnypeh posted:

in some Estonian news, conservative racists are getting ministry of interior for themselves. I predict that one of the first things they'll do is not allowing many more non-EU students or allowing only those from certain selected countries. And then they'll do something about the number of illegal foreign workers from Ukraine. I'm hoping that they would sooner punish the companies who use illegal workforce to get around immigration quotas and to not have to pay a fair wage.

The push for foreign workers is huge, the immigration cap for 2019 was reached in the first few days of January. IT and other high-tech workers are exempted from the quota, just like investors and those who get double national average wage, as are people from certain countries (USA, Japan).

I guess we'll just have to see how long this coalition lasts, hoping that they don't bankrupt the country until next elections are due. Healthcare and unemployment reserves have been dwindling over last few years. But not on what those reserves were meant for. Increased benefits, free public transport, so forth.

e: that party also wants to reverse all the increases in alcohol excises so people would buy their drinks locally and that Finns would come back for booze cruises.

I don't understand why people are talking as if the coalition already happened? Don't the formal coalition talks only start now, and there's a non zero chance Reformi have something up their sleeve?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

More WW2 bombs found in Vilnius :toot:

https://twitter.com/kaunas_events/status/1115216318981070848

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Comments on KVK are as always utter trash but such is life in this country.

*For the sake of the eternal Kaunas vs Vilnius rivalry I have to boast here how we are saving the capital yet again!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You should just let us take it off your hands, let's just say you'll owe us a favour, eh?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Guildencrantz posted:

Solidarity, now their pet right-wing union

This is just painful to read :(

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

This is just painful to read :(

Like goddamn seriously. Wasn't Lech Walesa protesting PiS last year by wearing an anti-PiS t-shirt to HW Bush's funeral?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Walesa is not connected to current Solidarity in any way.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Churches or alcohol shops?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

alex314 posted:

Or furries?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Walesa is not connected to current Solidarity in any way.

Not only he's not connected, there was a hilarious interview with Monika Olejnik where he claimed PO (who were the ruling party then) should send riot police on protesting miners from Solidarity.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Quick summary for westgoons: Solidarity splintered several times since 1989, with Walesa leaving the union early on to run for president. The main line of division was over the transfer of power, with a large minority of opposition activists believing that 1989's roundtable talks with the communists were too lenient, and pushing for things ranging from prosecuting those responsible for repression to outright banning former Communist Party members from public life. There was also the impossible tension inherent in a labor union supporting a government that pushed Thatcher-style reforms which poo poo on unionized workers. This sort of carried on for a while as the weird confusing mess that was the 90's, with the conservative and liberal factions remaining allied against the post-communist party, but during their (terrible) 1997-2001 stint in government all the divisions came to a head and the whole bloc fell apart into what is now PiS and PO. The conservative, hardline anti-communist faction retained control of the union, allied with PiS, and increasingly radicalized as membership dwindled due to both an overall decline in union membership and people who disagreed with their increasingly one-sided politics leaving. At this point they're down to about 400K people.

The thing to realize is that for historical reasons Solidarity has always been both a union and a strictly political force, to the point of running candidates in elections. This was a good strategy for the 80's because, obviously, when you're facing a one-party state that owns virtually all industry, the ability to call strikes is the most powerful bargaining chip for political concessions, plus the line between political and economic demands is pretty blurry. In modern Poland these roles are in irreconcilable tension with one another and Solidarity is clearly walking a pretty desperate tightrope between them. It can kind of work out when their political opponents are in power, but when their allies are in power and there are labor disputes in the public sector it becomes clear that they have split loyalties. Thus you get stupid bullshit like the current scenario, where a guy who happens to be a local councillor for the ruling party was sent to "negotiate" with the government, then immediately caved in what was clearly a pre-arranged media spectacle. At this point the union leadership are PiS politicians, so they will 100% sell out their rank and file members to support their own political careers.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 9, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

alex314 posted:

Supposed to be teachers on strike.

https://twitter.com/courtneywmh/status/1115559726102851586

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Ras Het posted:

I don't understand why people are talking as if the coalition already happened? Don't the formal coalition talks only start now, and there's a non zero chance Reformi have something up their sleeve?

Those three parties have been at talks for three weeks and it's a done deal , unless some (Center) party members rebel at the very last moment leaving the coalition with less than 51.

I'm not seeing any chances for the reform party to form a coalition.

e: okay, the reform party can try for a week but they won't make 51, then the president will pass it on.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 9, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Since we're talking about Poland, can someone explain this?

https://en.news-front.info/2017/06/22/poland-passes-law-on-demolishing-red-army-monuments/

I can't find anything about it in Polish, but it would I can't imagine they would circulate such a blatant fake or just report something old. I know there is a law against Communist propaganda in Poland, and the only recent thing about it I can find is that there was a bill to include Ukrainian and Lithuanian nationalist propaganda in the law. Other than that I don't see any other recent developments.

E: oh, I guess it's this
http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/kraj/sejm-uchwalil-nowele-ustawy-o-zakazie-propagowania-komunizmu/f9x2th7

Can someone link the list of objects they plan to demolish?

\/\/\/ Yes, that's the old one, from 2016. The new version of the law says that monuments in public spaces that are included in some register can now be demolished by local governments based on what Institute of National Remembrance deems propaganda.

Paladinus posted:

It's all over Russian news and it really took me a while to find anything in Polish (although, admittedly, my Polish is not that good), so maybe ~the truth is in the middle~ after all. Maybe they'll demolish statues of some Soviet generals who participated in anti-Polish operations, but will spare simple soldiers. We'll see.

Sorry for rehashing this old rear end subject but an update to Polish struggle against tyrannical communists is that the monuments commemorating Russian soldiers were in fact demolished all over the country, including one very close to where I live. So yes, the law against promotion of totalitarian regimes was interpreted in the broadest possible way.
On the flip side there is also a very real clusterfuck of de-communisation of street names, where people had their street names changed from commemorating no good commie pre-war socialist activists to very cool and good cursed soldiers or the nice pedophile enabler John Paul II a couple of years ago, only to have many of those name changes flipped back to the way they were before.
Sad thing is, you can change the name of a street back (many actual signs were even saved because this scenario was expected), but it's harder to rebuild a monument.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Whelp, shows me what you get for being optimistic.

On the topic of statues, when I was in Warsaw this March, I saw Jarosław Kaczyński with some delegation at his brother's monument. Was a bit surreal. The square was full of security, but somehow we slipped past all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There was a street in my city named after socialist family killed by Germans. They were OG Soviet style socialism believers, as far as I know didn't engage in terrorism against interwar Poland, got killed fighting Germans. And PiS shitheads still used that dumb anti-totalitarian regimes supporters law against them.