Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I felt the same way as Pat initially to the point where the SBFP videos helped me into the series by Pat realizing what hurt his initial experiences and pulling down a lot of the barriers that kept me out initially.

All I know was Woolie making it easy and Pat giving some pointers (don't put points into x y and z and such) is what made me give DS1 another go and I am grateful for that because I fuckin love the series, regardless of how much it can put me on tilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do Woolie and Pat still have good chemistry together?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grouchio posted:

Do Woolie and Pat still have good chemistry together?

Judging by the DMC5 LP, I'd say yes. Though Pat and Woolie was always my favorite pair.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Also the podcast seems fine in that regard as well.

Meanwhile Matt put out a video on Ape Out which I also like. He seemed to have fun making the video too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Judging by the DMC5 LP, I'd say yes. Though Pat and Woolie was always my favorite pair.
Cool. They need guest stars again.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The only problem I have with the podcast is that they're retreading a lot of ground episode-to-episode. Having Matt as a third could break up some monotony with an extra comment or "hey I watched a weird movie" discussion. Otherwise, it's just like the SBFP podcast where it'd just be Woolie and Pat.

Oxyclean posted:

All I know was Woolie making it easy and Pat giving some pointers (don't put points into x y and z and such) is what made me give DS1 another go and I am grateful for that because I fuckin love the series, regardless of how much it can put me on tilt.

The stat points is the big one. I always have this moat I need to cross with RPGs because I've been burned so many times with "No wonder you're having trouble, Dexterity is just bugged and flat-out doesn't work in that game," or something. Hearing Pat just go "Okay, you wanna do weapons? The spears you like are all DEX-based, so the more DEX you put in, the more worth it they'll be, but don't go over 40," is almost all I needed to hear.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
that schreier piece on anthem is pretty nuts, matt definitely rushed out his video waaaaaaaay too early

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Neo_Crimson posted:

I can't believe Woolie would stunblock Pat with Dr. Faust like that

I do agree that they could use a guest ever now and then at Castle Superbeast. Love the podcast, but they do retread similar topics with similar conversations.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Depths posted:

that schreier piece on anthem is pretty nuts, matt definitely rushed out his video waaaaaaaay too early

Yeah, it's one of the best and most brutal gaming articles i've read in a while. One of the best comments was the one former BioWare dev who that the best thing for BioWare in the long run would have been having Dragon Age: Inquisition be a total failure and a lesson to the company that they can't rely on bullshit like "BioWare magic" anymore. Then unfortunately it won a bunch of GOTY awards for some reason and nothing changed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Pat and Woolie talked about new anime again. I fear they've lost interest completely.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't believe Woolie would stunblock Pat with Dr. Faust like that

I do agree that they could use a guest ever now and then at Castle Superbeast. Love the podcast, but they do retread similar topics with similar conversations.

Be rad if they could get Slowbeef in. Those Retsutalks they were both on were awesome, especially Pat's.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

publishko posted:

Yeah, it's one of the best and most brutal gaming articles i've read in a while. One of the best comments was the one former BioWare dev who that the best thing for BioWare in the long run would have been having Dragon Age: Inquisition be a total failure and a lesson to the company that they can't rely on bullshit like "BioWare magic" anymore. Then unfortunately it won a bunch of GOTY awards for some reason and nothing changed.

I will never understand video game companies insisting on having such insane crunch periods when every single study confirms over and over that doing this poo poo is actively harmful to your productivity.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monaghan posted:

I will never understand video game companies insisting on having such insane crunch periods when every single study confirms over and over that doing this poo poo is actively harmful to your productivity.

The answer is shareholders, capitalism, and the general money-grubbing of executives who aren't anywhere near the product itself, they just want it to make more money than the last thing did.

See also: Focus testing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well no, because one is an issue of discrimination and the other isn't

Mel I'm gonna blow your loving mind here but let me try and point this out as simply as I can.

The idea of "using disabled people as a shield" is near-universally a bad-faith argument meant to undermine someone's actual point.

It is literally barely separate from the idea of "virtue signalling", "oh, you don't really care about the disabled, you're just using them as a convenient excuse to want the game to be easier". I'm debating with you in good faith that that's not what you think it is, but the sooner you realize this is how it is used when arguments like this come up, the better off you will be.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 3, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i'd say "able people suddenly care about accessibility now that they can't beat a game" is a valid thing to point out, but it doesn't make the original complaint any less valid

e: and pat accusing people of doing this and then immediately being like "but look there are disabled people who can beat the game" is laughable

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 3, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Monathin posted:

Mel I'm gonna blow your loving mind here but let me try and point this out as simply as I can.

The idea of "using disabled people as a shield" is near-universally a bad-faith argument meant to undermine someone's actual point.

It is literally barely separate from the idea of "virtue signalling", "oh, you don't really care about the disabled, you're just using them as a convenient excuse to want the game to be easier". I'm debating with you in good faith that that's not what you think it is, but the sooner you realize this is how it is used when arguments like this come up, the better off you will be.

I am gonna be completely clear and tell you I have no idea why you are bringing this up. Are you accusing me of it? Are you accusing him of it? Are you accusing both of us of it?

EDIT: I am trying to parse whether the quotation marks are meant to be a summary of what someone is saying or to be saying that that is what they are arguing against.

EDIT 2: Like, it seems like you are trying to imply I am using the disabled as a shield so my argument is invalid, or that I am arguing other people's arguments are invalid because they are using the handicapped as a shield. I do not believe that I am doing either though so I am confused about what you are trying to say.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 3, 2019

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm not accusing you of it. I'm saying this idea you keep grappling with comes from an inherently bad-faith point people raise in order to undermine people's positions. The amount it matters to the overall discussion when it comes up is very little, and you shouldn't be trying to give it more significance in the grander scheme of the argument.

Yes, the quotation marks are meant to be the argument presented when someone is claiming that people are using the disabled as a shield. It's a boiling down of the most common take used alogside such a claim.. somepartsareme raises a good point that you can separate the idea that some people are suddenly caring about accessibility now that they can't beat a game, but it doesn't, unlike the take of someone 'using the disabled as a shield', undermine the actual point in the need for more (and varied) accessibility options.

e: my entire argument is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill, you are grappling with a point that literally does not deserve consideration in this discussion, because it is almost always universally brought up by jackasses trying to get an own (see: a bunch of other people in This Very Thread)

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 3, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

People are using Sekrio as an example to talk about the issue broadly. You know, to raise awareness in hopes to create a trend of other developers being more conscious about difficulty settings? Arguably people are also just venting / expressing disappointment about Sekrio's lack of difficulty settings which is just as loving valid as any other complaint about a game. People poo poo all over games for DRM and business practices and you don't see half as much gnashing of teeth and people rushing to their defence.

Also, why not use this logic on all things? Don't bother calling out companies on poor colourblind settings or poor subtitle settings, just hope the free market sorts them out!

Why should we use less than ghost peppers in our food? Make it mildier?! The weak should fear the strong!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Remember when Liam defended Mighty No. 9?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Plan Z posted:

Remember when Liam defended Mighty No. 9?
Nope! :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RareAcumen posted:

Why should we use less than ghost peppers in our food? Make it mildier?! The weak should fear the strong!

Speaking of, Pat still has to made due on his promise and eat a ghost pepper on stream.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
You can't assuage the difficulty to allow people to "experience the story" of sekiro, because the difficulty is part of the story.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sex Tragedy posted:

You can't assuage the difficulty to allow people to "experience the story" of sekiro, because the difficulty is part of the story.

So people who are good at Sekiro didn't experience the story because they had an easier time with it?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Andrast posted:

So people who are good at Sekiro didn't experience the story because they had an easier time with it?

The story for them referenced whatever in their experience made them good at it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sex Tragedy posted:

The story for them referenced whatever in their experience made them good at it.

So if people of warying skill levels don't experience the same story anyway, what is the problem with having an easier difficulty?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Andrast posted:

So if people of warying skill levels don't experience the same story anyway, what is the problem with having an easier difficulty?

Destroying the carefully and beautifully created realism of a single world with hard laws, referring to the admittally harsh physical reality we share as people with physical bodies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait till we start gamifying life and people start arguing against things that mitigate random chance and reject fate like vaccines and firefighters because the intended experience is letting problems get to the point that someone's pouring whiskey on you and sawing off an arm and dying in your sleep from smoke inhalation.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait till we start gamifying life and people start arguing against things that mitigate random chance and reject fate like vaccines and firefighters because the intended experience is letting problems get to the point that someone's pouring whiskey on you and sawing off an arm and dying in your sleep from smoke inhalation.

Game and real life are different.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sex Tragedy posted:

Destroying the carefully and beautifully created realism of a single world with hard laws, referring to the admittally harsh physical reality we share as people with physical bodies.

Uh, sure

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Can anyone point to anyone else making the connection between the discussion of disability around sekiro, and the fact that the main character is disabled in that he lacks a left arm?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Andrast posted:

Uh, sure

Bad faith argumentation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And to sarcastically make a serious point, Captain Baal brought up DMCV as an example but no one's brought up Resident Evil 4 and it's invisible sliding difficulty system or GOD HAND's power level inhibiting system as a means to hand wring about the intentional deep lore meaning behind every hand-crafted artisinal, bespoke, organic, non-GMO pesticide-free encounter's damage numbers that only exist in a tragically fragile equilibrium. If the slightest change is made, then the meaning is lost and no one will derive anything from it anymore.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

And to sarcastically make a serious point, Captain Baal brought up DMCV as an example but no one's brought up Resident Evil 4 and it's invisible sliding difficulty system or GOD HAND's power level inhibiting system as a means to hand wring about the intentional deep lore meaning behind every hand-crafted artisinal, bespoke, organic, non-GMO pesticide-free encounter's damage numbers that only exist in a tragically fragile equilibrium. If the slightest change is made, then the meaning is lost and no one will derive anything from it anymore.

DMCV, RE4, and GOD HAND aren't the same as sekiro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sex Tragedy posted:

DMCV, RE4, and GOD HAND aren't the same as sekiro.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Having never claimed to be smart, I've been scammed out of all of my items and somewhere along the line Valve stopped doing the return policy for them too. I'm mostly just surprised though because it's not like I had unusuals or austrailium items.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Sex Tragedy posted:

Destroying the carefully and beautifully created realism of a single world with hard laws, referring to the admittedly harsh physical reality we share as people with physical bodies.
I love how you somehow manage to argue that Sekiro is good because it's experience isn't universal, and yet it should not in any way accommodate anybody because that would "destroy" it's unified vision. It's somehow both changing depending on the player yet also immutable and untouchable.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Plan Z posted:

The most frustrating thing with every release is "hey I found an actual proper issue with the game (anything from a bug to some oversight)," being responded to with "no it's perfect, From games are actually insanely easy because they give you so many tools to play with." Then within a year, those superfans are making videos and spamming comments talking about all of the things wrong with that game and how it's now the worst in the series if you examine the design elements. One of the first times I ever heard Pat talk, he was ragging on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls because he hated the games at first because (I love this series mind) almost every single title in the series sucks at conveying important details to the player. From nonsensical item or stat descriptions to how even magic or backstabbing is supposed to work in some of them, it's 100% understandable when they cause anyone to bounce off the titles, and those issues won't get fixed when reviews get scared to bring them up as things that can be improved upon. I felt the same way as Pat initially to the point where the SBFP videos helped me into the series by Pat realizing what hurt his initial experiences and pulling down a lot of the barriers that kept me out initially.

Tons of people love the poo poo the series has been doing since DS1 or even DeS. The obscurity is great. Leave this neon signposting poo poo to Assassin's Creed and the latest Bioware offering.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

It's somehow both changing depending on the player yet also immutable and untouchable.

If you didn't also believe this at some level we wouldn't be able to have different opinions about the object we both refer to as sekiro.

Sex Tragedy fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 3, 2019

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It honestly astounds me how many people come out of the woodwork to post in this thread to try and claim these games are high art and cannot possibly be improved by being made more accessible to more people. Or, as Dias put it:

Dias posted:

Souls Fans continue to be The Worst, news at five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Every game needs to be as dumb and easy as possible or the developers are Nazis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)