Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The hell am I looking at?

It's a meme about King of Dragon Pass, a darling of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's a meme about King of Dragon Pass, a darling of this thread.

Thanks. I really need to get around to playing that some day.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

New Leaf posted:

I just wish I could get the screen to work properly.. It's really annoying right now. I wonder if it's because I'm on an LG G7. The screen is really tall and narrow for some reason, it might be trying to do the full height resolution but that doesn't jive with the width. Can anyone think of a fix?

I refunded a game before I found it, but my OnePlus has an option under "display" to turn on compatibility mode for specific apps.
I'm pretty sure it's a standard android thing, it just forces the app to run in 16:9

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

norp posted:

I refunded a game before I found it, but my OnePlus has an option under "display" to turn on compatibility mode for specific apps.
I'm pretty sure it's a standard android thing, it just forces the app to run in 16:9

Unfortunately that app isn't listed for whatever reason.. Bummer. I emailed the company, doubt I'll hear back but worth a try.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

New Leaf posted:

Unfortunately that app isn't listed for whatever reason.. Bummer. I emailed the company, doubt I'll hear back but worth a try.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/lg/140716-how-to-scale-apps-to-fill-lg-g6-s-screen

try this.

edit: oh wait, that's basically the same thing as above, nvm, hope you can fix it!

phourniner fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 31, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wow, yeah, Stardew is nearly unplayable with the touch controls they currently have. It took me about 10 minutes to clear the initial plot and plant radishes. Refunded that poo poo until it gets reworked.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Wow, yeah, Stardew is nearly unplayable with the touch controls they currently have. It took me about 10 minutes to clear the initial plot and plant radishes. Refunded that poo poo until it gets reworked.

i am picky enough about touch controls that i would never do something like stardew on a phone screen. even if it was a phablet (which i would never willing use) i wouldn't even try

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gotta say, I've been playing the hell out of that skiing game, the new levels you'll get after buying it are really fun and varied with some neat races and events. Plus it just feels good moving around. I'm still clearing out the third mountain but I'd love to see more get added!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Is fishing supposed to be reslly hard in Stardew Valley? Cuz it is on the phone.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Thundercracker posted:

Is fishing supposed to be reslly hard in Stardew Valley? Cuz it is on the phone.

Fishing is very very hard even on pc. By design, apparently, the dev wanted at least one super challenging bit in the game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Got any suggestions for Android games that let you build some sort of sci-fi thing (space station, spaceship, terraformed planet, whatever) that are not idle games? I don't mind paying if it means I can actually play a game instead of just poking it every hour.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I remember Epic Astro Story from Kairosoft being fun for a while... it's one of their games without IAP.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.frontier_en&hl=en_US

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Got any suggestions for Android games that let you build some sort of sci-fi thing (space station, spaceship, terraformed planet, whatever) that are not idle games? I don't mind paying if it means I can actually play a game instead of just poking it every hour.

Terragenesis is a space colony build and management game. Haven't played it, but it doesn't seem to be idle.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Terragenesis is a space colony build and management game. Haven't played it, but it doesn't seem to be idle.

Unfortunately, it is. Not a clicker, but you do wind up setting things up and waiting more-or-less patiently for oxygen too accumulate or whatever while it keeps urging you to watch ads.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Does anyone have a favorite artillery game for android?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Cultist Simulator seems like it could really benefit from a tutorial of some sort. Even something menial just to get you going. I found a Help guide under Options but I feel like that should open and take you through some scenarios at the beginning of the game, not be hidden under menu options.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

If I remember right, Cultist Simulator was designed to be opaque and mysterious when you start playing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, kinda the entire point of Cultist Sim is that it doesn't explain jackshit about itself.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Among Us is a weird little game that's like a cross between Mafia and Spacestation 13. Players are all assigned tasks to complete around a ship and need to move around and complete them, while one of the players tries to sabotage the ship and kill people. When a body is found and reported, it goes to a round of Mafia style discussion and voting who to eject out the airlock.

In practice, players rapidly leave the game if they don't roll killer, the killer stabs people as soon as possible, nobody speaks in voting and votes randomly, and the killer leaves if he gets fingered. Playing with pubbies seems impossible, but you can create private online games or play local co-op over wifi, so this is potentially something fun to get some goon games going?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd be down for some goon games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
That elder scrolls blades sucks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr Hootington posted:

It looked pretty bad, and that was before I started reading about some of the monetization stuff. I will probably check it out to see how it runs on my new phone but it sounds like a Skyrim themed skinnerbox and I don't need that in my life.

Cultist Simulator, however, has been on my radar for a while. I didn't realize it was already out on Android. I'm considering picking this up, reviews seem to indicate it translates well to mobile. Anyone give it a try yet?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

explosivo posted:

Cultist Simulator, however, has been on my radar for a while. I didn't realize it was already out on Android. I'm considering picking this up, reviews seem to indicate it translates well to mobile. Anyone give it a try yet?

Yes? I think? I don't know what the gently caress is going on, but I'm doing *something*.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Is there a link between cultist simulator and underhand? The theme looks similar.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Blades is a medocre and not interesting at all, plus currently it's doing this infinite load thing so it's a pass.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Yes? I think? I don't know what the gently caress is going on, but I'm doing *something*.

I've found, more or less, that the cards you put into your verb boxes like Work Study etc go and do that thing and you get more cards back.

I got sick from lack of funds first game. Fell into despair too.

This game I put a Passion card into the Work slot and made money from the resulting painting sale after being fired. Also when you get the bequest you should Study it. You can use Reason or Passion to study it with. I seemed to get more interesting cards by using Reason.

It seems pretty interesting when get how to do things and what you are doing but I still dont understabd the icons for poo poo. Cool game tho so far.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

If you put money into your Dream slot you go buy drugs lol and get a good sleep but the game hints this could be nasty long term.

Its fun seeing what works and what doesn't

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

And use the pause button a lot. Like when you gain a Contenment card, just like irl, it is fleeting. You can spend Contentment to fend off Despair. Its probably useful for a other stuff too.

Some verb slots are timed and represent things like your expenses. When the timer ticks down it takes some money if you have any. I couldnt pay and got ill. Which sets off other timers for medicine or whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah like spam that pause button, that is the best advice anyone can ever give for cultsim. you should be doing most of your play on pause and unpausing.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

As there was recent talk about jobs, here a post of my friend on Facebook.

quote:

Ok so.

- Work have offered me *a* job. Details are promised...after the referencing. As is the exact salary figure.

- Work decided that anybody at my level who didn't apply for a job, perhaps because their post wasn't at risk, clearly isn't hungry enough to work here. So they're fired. Yes that means anyone at a senior level who didn't apply for my job has just been or is about to be terminated. Their replacements will be drawn from the applicant pool.

Contractors, y'see. No notice period.

- And now everyone else is having their jobs advertised too.

- Except the team lead, who has been told that her job will terminate at a moment's notice, she will get no advance warning, she just has to be ready to clear out her desk at any time. I wouldn't have wished that on the poor woman.

Ah capitalism.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mr Hootington posted:

I was continuing with it to see if it possibly maybe got anywhere near enjoyable later on and then I accidentally double clicked on opening a silver chest and blew all my gems because there's no confirmation for spending gems. I just immediately Uninstalled. It's like wading through a minefield. Game is absolutely predatory.

It's a shame because an Ultima underworld style dungeon crawler on mobile is really appealing to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cultist Simulator is a lot of fun. That initial phase of figuring out just what the gently caress is going on is really difficult at first but I like the sense of discovery as you gently caress things up because you didn't realize there was a timer and picking up mechanics and understanding what everything does. I'm still lost with a lot of stuff (some of the icons I'm still not really sure on) but it's been a lot of fun. Echoing the "spam the pause button" sentiment, once I started pausing when I get new cards to figure out what goes where and giving myself time to organize things it makes it much easier to handle. I really dig being able to set up your board the way you want to as well. Really cool stuff. Highly recommended at this point, it seems to translate incredibly well into mobile as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CascadeBeta posted:

I was continuing with it to see if it possibly maybe got anywhere near enjoyable later on and then I accidentally double clicked on opening a silver chest and blew all my gems because there's no confirmation for spending gems. I just immediately Uninstalled. It's like wading through a minefield. Game is absolutely predatory.

It's a shame because an Ultima underworld style dungeon crawler on mobile is really appealing to me.

Inventor of horse armor made a predatory game?!

I kid though, horse armor isn't even top 10 shittiest DLCs anymore and the fact that people once got angry at it makes me sad. Where did that rage about microtransactions go?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Len posted:

Inventor of horse armor made a predatory game?!

I kid though, horse armor isn't even top 10 shittiest DLCs anymore and the fact that people once got angry at it makes me sad. Where did that rage about microtransactions go?

People got tired of having to complain about literally every AAA game offering that sort of thing shortly after Oblivion. Like, I love the gently caress out of Rocket League, but I don't think I'm going to drop any money to drive in the '89 Batmobile or the Delorean, as neat as they look.

Now, if there was a sale that had a ton of that all packed together, sure.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just tried blades and lmao loving 3 hour minimum timers on everything. fuuuuuuck that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

norp posted:

Is there a link between cultist simulator and underhand? The theme looks similar.

They're not similar games at all, despite them both being card games about cultists. Cultist simulator is open; you can do whatever you want with your cards at pretty much any time, no turns, but various actions have cooldowns and such, or take up a slot for a given amount of time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

just tried blades and lmao loving 3 hour minimum timers on everything. fuuuuuuck that.

and i thought the combat was clunky in morrowind! ayyyyyy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does anyone have a favorite artillery game for android?

Pocket Tanks has a pretty good android port.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and i thought the combat was clunky in morrowind! ayyyyyy

You're not wrong.

It helps that almost every other aspect of it was wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're not wrong.

It helps that almost every other aspect of it was wonderful.

Such as how the opening drum beats in the theme song are the Heart of Lorkan, etc