Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Plan Z posted:

I use ESDF for games with a ton of weapons. Makes it easier to reach the far ones and 1/2 keys often are kinda poo guns.

Yeah back when I was playing the Battlezone hybrid FPS/RTS games, I'd use ESDF because it was nicer for getting at controls quickly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i once tried to get myself to change over to esdf cuz i figured having more usable keys on the left side would be handy but i kept on loving up during gameplay subconsciously trying to do wasd to the point i just gave up. cant teach an old dog new tricks, as they say

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

Once I finish up Sunlust, I intend to play something much less ridiculous. Is there anything that's more low-key, maybe plays a bit more like classic Doom? Generally looking nice or stylish is a plus as well.

Memento Mori holds up great if you haven't checked that out yet, cool level design. Suspended in Dusk is my fav, you probably played that already, and it's more complex labryinthine than classic Doom, but pulls it off very well. The first two maps especially I love. The Darkening has some cool maps.

HolyKrap posted:

In Half-Life? Ladders are their own separate entity, func_ladder

Good band name.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
ESDF is legit better than WASD in every single way, not least of all because it retains home row position. I can't believe it didn't become the standard, almost as much as I can't believe I quit using it despite the Tribes games being my loving jam for several years around the millennium.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gabe Newell almost did make ESDF the standard. He's gone on record saying he historically has played using ESDF and apparently wanted it to be the default in Half-Life but nobody else did since WASD was already the standard from what few FPS games there were on PC.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Memento Mori holds up great if you haven't checked that out yet, cool level design. Suspended in Dusk is my fav, you probably played that already, and it's more complex labryinthine than classic Doom, but pulls it off very well. The first two maps especially I love. The Darkening has some cool maps.

Good band name.

func_ladder isn't too far off from...Funco_land

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
func_opop

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

func_opop

:cursed:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks, I've already got and enjoyed The Darkening and its sequel, but I'll definitely check out Suspended in Dusk and Memento Mori.

I'm enjoying No End in Sight so far, just beaten episode 1 using the TNT weaponset from Final Doomer. If I have one complaint its that it might feel a little too classic at times, but it looks like it's actually a DTWID spin-off, of sorts, so that's to be expected.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

Thanks, I've already got and enjoyed The Darkening and its sequel, but I'll definitely check out Suspended in Dusk and Memento Mori.

I'm enjoying No End in Sight so far, just beaten episode 1 using the TNT weaponset from Final Doomer. If I have one complaint its that it might feel a little too classic at times, but it looks like it's actually a DTWID spin-off, of sorts, so that's to be expected.

It diverges from the DTWIDness as it goes on. There's some clever trickery with the exits in a later episode. I really liked NEIS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Heavy Metal posted:

Good band name.

Not as good as trigger_hurt. Truly a fearsome FPS name, on the same level as playing Counter-Strike during beta and encountering... Der Totmacher.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If we're talking about computer-based names that sound weird, my favourite is always the shortcut (PIF) manager from old Windows installations. It was a .dll file.

pifmgr.dll.

Piffmigger Dill.

Also:

Mierenneuker posted:

Sorry, but you can't have a Jedi Knight run without that. Edit: Also, not really first person LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6nXSOPNgA

There is also a run by the same guy from a couple years earlier, I don't know if that one is better.

And I'm sorry, but you can't bring up GDQ + the JK series without some CovertMuffin. He might seem annoying at first, but like... the dude is just so, SO happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrDS-3Qs-4

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He laughs like a hare from redwall

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite thing about Half Life 2 speedruns is when players annihilate physics by standing on top of an object they are holding and jump off of it. Gets my goat every time.

HolyKrap posted:

In Half-Life? Ladders are their own separate entity, func_ladder

I stand corrected!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Man was 2018 like the worst year for single-player shooters or what? The only fully-released ones were FC5 and DUSK. There wasn't even a CoD campaign to blow through.

EDIT: Forgot Project Warlock, but still.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Man was 2018 like the worst year for single-player shooters or what? The only fully-released ones were FC5 and DUSK. There wasn't even a CoD campaign to blow through.

I mean if you want to count mods, Half-Life Echoes was really good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

2016 was great with DO4M, Titanfall 2 and Killing Floor 2 (if you are into that kinda game). 2013 had some sleepers like Far Cry Blood Dragon, Shadow Warrior, Metro Last Light and Call of Juarez Gunslinger. 2014 was Wolfesntein TNO only for me, 2015 Wolfenstein TNB... drat, we don't have a decent FPS year since 2016...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Games take time to make

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1113483479206060032

for those who don't know: Dragonfly is a very skilled doom mapper, and was the main guy behind Eviternity, which is a loving awesome mapset released at the end of last year.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
huh.

that....that might move the needle for me.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Dusk alone makes 2018 one of the best FPS years ever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gobblecoque posted:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So we discovered a new vanilla Doom trick: a Boom-style voodoo doll "conveyor belt" in vanilla Doom to enable pseudo-scripting https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105364-did-you-know-you-can-make-a-voodoo-conveyor-belt-in-vanilla-doom/

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Turok question, because I finally finished it (without bothering to get the chronoscepter because gently caress it) and I'm left wondering: Do weapons in that game do varying amounts of damage depending on enemy type because it seemed like the amount of damage any weapon did was wildly inconsistent depending on what I was killing.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

i just picked it up and i am loving dusk. i legitimately don't like quake 1, its just so snooze inducing to me, but dusk is somehow nailing something i can't put my finger on. i think its just the atmosphere, it does so much with so little visual fidelity and the ambient sounds are all great. soundtrack rules too. i do wish the movement speed was a hair slower.

otherwise though yeah 2018 was apparently a real poo poo rear end year for video games. i picked up and played mafia 3 which i thought was fantastic and legit don't think i really played anything else all year except a replay of quake 2 and some other old junk.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

quote:

More surprisingly, another Half-Life developer, level designer Dario Casali, also rejects WASD. Instead, he prefers ASXC. “It feels natural to me, where WASD feels odd,” wrote Casali. “But lots of people scoff at my config.”

i'm trying to contort my hand around this and imagine how you would make it work but it's just bizarre.

i'd call it the weirdest, but one of my friends plays with strafe left/right bound to mouse left and right, shoot on space bar, and i don't even know what for forward and back, and he's the most dominant competitive player i know. can't always play games with him though because a swath of modern games won't let you rebind the mouse to that extent for some reason.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Glagha posted:

Turok question, because I finally finished it (without bothering to get the chronoscepter because gently caress it) and I'm left wondering: Do weapons in that game do varying amounts of damage depending on enemy type because it seemed like the amount of damage any weapon did was wildly inconsistent depending on what I was killing.

Everything you fire has its own projectile, as in it's not hitscan, and it does different amounts of damage based on what kind of surface you hit, like metallic enemies or what kind of blood color they have. If I'm remembering correctly, some damage types have a randomness to them but I don't think they changed a whole lot from the base damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

the nucas posted:

i just picked it up and i am loving dusk. i legitimately don't like quake 1, its just so snooze inducing to me, but dusk is somehow nailing something i can't put my finger on. i think its just the atmosphere, it does so much with so little visual fidelity and the ambient sounds are all great. soundtrack rules too. i do wish the movement speed was a hair slower.

otherwise though yeah 2018 was apparently a real poo poo rear end year for video games. i picked up and played mafia 3 which i thought was fantastic and legit don't think i really played anything else all year except a replay of quake 2 and some other old junk.

2018 was dire for good shooters but was a good year in general for videogames, more so if you own a console. God of War, RDR2, Spiderman, Monster Hunter: World (this one on PC too) and Yakuza 6 are some examples. I didn't add a bunch of indie games or more niche tittles.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Linguica posted:

So we discovered a new vanilla Doom trick: a Boom-style voodoo doll "conveyor belt" in vanilla Doom to enable pseudo-scripting https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105364-did-you-know-you-can-make-a-voodoo-conveyor-belt-in-vanilla-doom/

holy poo poo

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

HolyKrap posted:

Everything you fire has its own projectile, as in it's not hitscan, and it does different amounts of damage based on what kind of surface you hit, like metallic enemies or what kind of blood color they have. If I'm remembering correctly, some damage types have a randomness to them but I don't think they changed a whole lot from the base damage.

That's really weird but seems consistent with my experiences. I distinctly remember some tribal wizard dude who seemed to be able to soak a ton of punishment but died surprisingly easily to getting knifed for some reason because I was just like "gently caress it why not". Like, it seemed like sometimes tek arrows and grenades did the same amount of damage to enemy 1 as in taking roughly the same number of shots to drop it, but against enemy 2 grenades seemed to kill it way faster than with tek arrows. (This is just a random made up example, not based on any data.) I know regular arrows can do a massive amount of damage if you time the shot just right as well, but to tek arrows also have that property?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guillermus posted:

2018 was dire for good shooters but was a good year in general for videogames, more so if you own a console. God of War, RDR2, Spiderman, Monster Hunter: World (this one on PC too) and Yakuza 6 are some examples. I didn't add a bunch of indie games or more niche tittles.

If you like Metroidvanias 2018 was like a fever dream.

I got to spend a weekend 100%ing the Ion Maiden demo too. That was fun

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Glagha posted:

That's really weird but seems consistent with my experiences. I distinctly remember some tribal wizard dude who seemed to be able to soak a ton of punishment but died surprisingly easily to getting knifed for some reason because I was just like "gently caress it why not". Like, it seemed like sometimes tek arrows and grenades did the same amount of damage to enemy 1 as in taking roughly the same number of shots to drop it, but against enemy 2 grenades seemed to kill it way faster than with tek arrows. (This is just a random made up example, not based on any data.) I know regular arrows can do a massive amount of damage if you time the shot just right as well, but to tek arrows also have that property?

Looking in game.kpf, I guess the knife is able to backstab enemies, that's news to me!
Tek arrows do 50 damage to all enemy types, and if it's a direct hit there's no splash damage from the explosion. In scripts/weapons.txt it mentions super arrows, but I'm not sure what the exact damage is, the faster your arrow's going the more damage it'll do, but that only applies to regular arrows. Once your arrow flashes, you have a whole .75 seconds to fire off a super arrow

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Is the rest of NEIS like episode 2? I'm at E2M7, and so far E2's been a miserable slog with some of the worst switch hunts I've had to endure in Doom.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
other then radiosity for the lighting and moving from quakec to gamex86.dll's, what other changes were there from quake 1 to quake 2 tech wise?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ETPC posted:

other then radiosity for the lighting and moving from quakec to gamex86.dll's, what other changes were there from quake 1 to quake 2 tech wise?

A big one was animated mesh interpolation, so models could appear to move smoothly at high frame rates. They didn't do it perfectly so things had a weird swimming look but it was a big step up from Quake 1's snapping to poses at 10fps.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quake II also broke off renderers into DLLs with standard interfaces so they could be switched on the fly instead of having separate EXEs like Quake did.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

This is cool as hell

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
how do people feel about amid evil? i really miss weird fantasy shooters like heretic but the screenshots for this game are just weird. the hi-def gun models and environments, and these poo poo rear end looking pixelated enemies is just not working for me. is it better in motion? play alright?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

catlord posted:

Is the rest of NEIS like episode 2? I'm at E2M7, and so far E2's been a miserable slog with some of the worst switch hunts I've had to endure in Doom.

If E2 is taxing you then quit now. It only gets more convoluted, E4 especially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

the nucas posted:

how do people feel about amid evil? i really miss weird fantasy shooters like heretic but the screenshots for this game are just weird. the hi-def gun models and environments, and these poo poo rear end looking pixelated enemies is just not working for me. is it better in motion? play alright?

It’s garishly ugly for sure, even in motion. Its art style is very much early 00s CG wallpaper. I don’t dislike it but i think it suffers a lot from comparison to Dusk. Weird is certainly a fair descriptor. I don’t think the first episode is very good though.