Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Oxxidation posted:

shigaraki and the league are ironically in the more traditionally heroic position right now, a team of scrappy underdogs facing a foe with unimaginable power and resources, scrounging for allies while learning the true meaning of friendship along the way

the institutional advantage the heroes have in MHA is ridiculous and the story seems kind of hesitant to confront that

Are they really at such a disadvantage now though? They just got handed a lab full of super powerful nomu, one of which was strong enough to push the current number 1 hero to his absolute limit, and the doctor has implied that he has other gifts waiting for Shigaraki once he gets stronger(which he probably will be now that this flashback is over).

Like, yeah Shigaraki and his murder gang where just wandering around stealing poo poo for a while, but it's pretty obvious that the organization All For One left for him is far bigger than anyone realizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Are they really at such a disadvantage now though? They just got handed a lab full of super powerful nomu, one of which was strong enough to push the current number 1 hero to his absolute limit, and the doctor has implied that he has other gifts waiting for Shigaraki once he gets stronger(which he probably will be now that this flashback is over).

Like, yeah Shigaraki and his murder gang where just wandering around stealing poo poo for a while, but it's pretty obvious that the organization All For One left for him is far bigger than anyone realizes.

I really kind of hate the Nomu, I get why they exist but they skew this entire story around in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ha ha ha, I bet you wish there were Noumoa Noumu!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

which is where the "scrounging for allies" bit comes from, they're actually making progress while UA has just been chasing its tail since the overhaul arc at least, which has been...what, two years ago now?

the slice-of-life stuff in MHA is constantly at odds with the rest of the story and that's mainly a problem in UA itself, because the League doesn't have this divided-identity issue where they're trying to be students on top of dealing with the story's central conflict. imo it's also why vigilantes is a lot more compelling and focused

socialsecurity posted:

I really kind of hate the Nomu, I get why they exist but they skew this entire story around in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

at some point the comic's gonna have to say outright just how many of these things are mutated and lobotomized children

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

at some point the comic's gonna have to say outright just how many of these things are mutated and lobotomized children

I was going to say "all of them" as a half-joke but the first Noumu was a grown man originally, which makes sense from a meta-perspective since the reveal of it being a kid would have come out of nowhere and made the tone really dark really early. The winged Noumu was relatively early too, but its true nature was never explicitly addressed in-comic, just heavily "implied" in supplementary material, so it's a bit different; the nature of what Noumu are was addressed before we even knew that Noumu wasn't the name of an individual entity, as part of the setup for AFO's reveal through the "many quirks from different people" bit and all.

Which is a bit of a tangent, I forgot my original point for a moment there. But, yeah, definitely more than just the one kid in the bunch.

Meanwhile, while reading the official translation right now, I just realized that the potential ally Dabi was talking about scouting in this chapter was probably Hawks, since this happened before all that. Which is kind of funny because he's all high and mighty, telling off Shigaraki and refusing to help out, while he himself is unwittingly trying to recruit a double agent. Also finally noticed that "Johnny" has no lower body and is wearing shoes on his(?) hands. Just to make the poor thing even more hosed up.

Edit: The contrast between how monstrous what the doctor does is and what a jerk he is to the VA for the most part is a major contrast with his enthusiasm while talking about the Noumu and gushing about how Dabi's aesthetic matches the High-End he gave him. It's interesting, and not quite what I was expecting from him. He's kind of a man-child himself, really; probably why, posturing aside, he's actually all for helping Shigaraki out here.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 1, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rhonne posted:

So are we not gonna talk about John the Nomu?

It looked like the Doc activated the teleport quirk by screwing in a module. I bet he figured out a non-body method of storing a quirk, and John is his testbed/utility tool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What if the doc is one of the people who experimented on the principal?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

What if the doc is one of the people who experimented on the principal?

then woe betide the doc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chapter 222 official translation: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-222/chapter/17983?action=read

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: The contrast between how monstrous what the doctor does is and what a jerk he is to the VA for the most part is a major contrast with his enthusiasm while talking about the Noumu and gushing about how Dabi's aesthetic matches the High-End he gave him. It's interesting, and not quite what I was expecting from him. He's kind of a man-child himself, really; probably why, posturing aside, he's actually all for helping Shigaraki out here.

Look, the man just wants to perform unethical experiments on children, who are we to judge? There's also a chance he might actually know Dabi. The Todoroki family apparently lives in the same area as Deku and Bakugo, so there's a chance all the kids went to see him growing up.

Huh, something I didn't notice the first time around, who do you think this is this supposed to be?

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1112458856720797697

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Huh, something I didn't notice the first time around, who do you think this is this supposed to be?

Hair makes me think Destro. Writing a memoir then committing suicide is too convenient.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

Look, the man just wants to perform unethical experiments on children, who are we to judge? There's also a chance he might actually know Dabi. The Todoroki family apparently lives in the same area as Deku and Bakugo, so there's a chance all the kids went to see him growing up.

Oh, I'm not sympathizing, in case it comes off that way. I just find him darkly hilarious; "does horrible experiments on children because science" is kind of cliched, but "positively giddy to show off his horrible child-experiments to people and matching them up with murdervillains based on aesthetics" is more interesting and entertaining. I appreciate Horikoshi not making him a completely flat character, and enjoy the contrast between how excitable and enthusiastic he is about his work with how awful that work actually is.

Tangent, he knows all the individual High-End Noumu well enough to immediately think of one to pair with Dabi, and he refers to at least one of them by name. Does he have names for all of them, or is "Johnny" special due to being a tool he keeps around and active at his beck and call? Are the names their former names, or does he give his "children" new names? Does he even know the former names of his subjects? The thought of him cheerfully giving the Noumus new, ordinary names after obliterating the people they used to be is kind of disturbing. (Not that what we know that he does isn't disturbing, before anyone gets pedantic.)

quote:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1112458856720797697

I saw that person as well, and couldn't figure it out myself. Maybe it's foreshadowing? It's not anyone I recognize at least.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hope that when they get to this part in the dub, they hire Mike Pollock to voice Daruma. Dude makes me think of Archie Comics Eggman a lot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never noticed Toga's little look of confusion at Shigaraki talking about how his family dying hosed him up, and calling him disturbed for it. That's kind of amazing. :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

I never noticed Toga's little look of confusion at Shigaraki talking about how his family dying hosed him up, and calling him disturbed for it. That's kind of amazing. :allears:

I just went to look at that, then looked earlier in the chapter, and noticed something in this panel:

That disintegrating shape on the right, one of those pieces looked like a fingertip with a nail. I looked even closer, and:

Yeah, that's definitely a hand falling apart there. More evidence for the "AFO set the whole thing up and/or faked the hands" theory, I suppose.

(Zoom on these might be off, I made these captures on my phone. Sorry about that.)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Also, talk about bedside manner. "Hey kid, you just went through a ton of trauma you can barely remember. Here are some souvenirs."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, AFO's plan was always to twist Shimura Tenko as a way of getting back at All Might and spitting on Nana's memory, so loving up the poor kid by driving in just how awful what happened to him is and how no one was able to save him is entirely consistent and appropriate given AFO's goals.

Also, idea I had, part of why the hands fill Shigaraki with rage might be because, besides clinging to things like that being extremely unhealthy (also I just realized that Shigaraki's fixation on the injustice and trauma he suffered is represented by the hands of his dead family literally clinging to him even years after the fact, that is not subtle at all in retrospect, ha), that go on some level he knows that those aren't actually their hands, even in the fragments of memory he has he can recall at least some of those disintegrating, plus his quirk shouldn't have left any there to begin with. He's aware on some level that things aren't right, maybe even that he's being lied to and used, but confronting that would mean acknowledging, well, a whole lot of poo poo, so he shoves it away, but the cognitive dissonance still burns.

Or this could all be entirely off base and the person in that particular memory still had their other hand intact afterwards so that one disintegrating doesn't mean anything. We'll see. (Though if every hand is from a different individual, with no pairs, then hoo boy Shiggy killed a lot of family members.)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The doctor basically twisting the knife is definitely consistent with All For One's goal to corrupt Shimura Tenko and mold him into his pupil. It's mostly just darkly amusing to me that he was so blatant about it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We've known the doctor had horrible bedside manners since he told 4 year old Deku that his dreams were impossible and he should just give up in the very first chapter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

We've known the doctor had horrible bedside manners since he told 4 year old Deku that his dreams were impossible and he should just give up in the very first chapter.

Speaking of that, since Shigaraki is older than Deku, that confirms Daruma had already thrown in his lot with AFO by the time he was diagnosing Deku.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor is hundreds of years old just like All For One, he seems like he was one of his closest allies.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Darumas are those little guys that you dot the eyes and make a wish, right?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hihohe posted:

Darumas are those little guys that you dot the eyes and make a wish, right?

Correct. I think it’s supposed to be a New Year’s Resolution or goal, though

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The doctor basically twisting the knife is definitely consistent with All For One's goal to corrupt Shimura Tenko and mold him into his pupil. It's mostly just darkly amusing to me that he was so blatant about it.

I laughed my rear end off at that panel. "Kid, you accidentally killed your entire family. Oh yeah, here's their severed hands." Complete maniac and loving it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thetoughestbean posted:

Correct. I think it’s supposed to be a New Year’s Resolution or goal, though

You put one eye in when you make a promise to yourself and fill the other when you have completed the promise/goal, is the most basic way of saying it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

that go on some level he knows that those aren't actually their hands, even in the fragments of memory he has he can recall at least some of those disintegrating, plus his quirk shouldn't have left any there to begin with.

his disintegration isn't unlimited and it's very likely he has a smaller radius of death as a child

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shiggys quirk doesn't totally destroy everyone he touches. In his original flashback you clearly see a hand in a pile of viscera- and the hand that's disintegrating is probably his dad's hand since he only has the one he wears. That one smaller mook that shielded overhaul was reduced to pieces but not entirely to dust.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What he did can't be particularly uncommon in their world

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jose posted:

What he did can't be particularly uncommon in their world

that's probably one of the big sources of anxiety behind the Singularity theory - as the generations go on, the chances go up of getting some little tyke who can spontaneously combust everyone nearby when he gets a tummyache

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

that's probably one of the big sources of anxiety behind the Singularity theory - as the generations go on, the chances go up of getting some little tyke who can spontaneously combust everyone nearby when he gets a tummyache

It's a polarizing show but "From the New World" deals with this exact concept taken to the extreme end.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

It's a polarizing show but "From the New World" deals with this exact concept taken to the extreme end.

There was also a X-Men comic where Logan has to "take care" of some mutant kid with an unbelievably dangerous power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

Shiggys quirk doesn't totally destroy everyone he touches. In his original flashback you clearly see a hand in a pile of viscera- and the hand that's disintegrating is probably his dad's hand since he only has the one he wears. That one smaller mook that shielded overhaul was reduced to pieces but not entirely to dust.

Didn't Shigaraki have to cut off Overhaul's arm after destroying part of it to prevent the quirk from reaching his whole body?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The way that flashback is framed, we'll probably get a complete version of it at some point, when we get the 'reveal' that AfO was instigating it. Seemed like a fire-poker or a cane or something was swinging in one of those panels. I'm going to chuckle if that ping-pong paddle at Shigaraki's feet has some relevance to the story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Didn't Shigaraki have to cut off Overhaul's arm after destroying part of it to prevent the quirk from reaching his whole body?

He did.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was also a X-Men comic where Logan has to "take care" of some mutant kid with an unbelievably dangerous power.

ironically that kid's power was basically "what if Shigaraki's Quirk was airborne"

Like he just wakes up one day and everyone else in his town has been disintegrated

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm gonna go with Chekhov's gun on the hand thing.

I checked the handedness of the blown up hand and the one he wears, right hand blown up, left hand on his face. Nevermind.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Maybe AFO just scooped a bunch of people dust into some gloves.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Maybe AFO just scooped a bunch of people dust into some gloves.

Yeah, I'm thinking those hands are just containers that hold their dust. Otherwise he should have hands of a bunch of different sizes and shapes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Newest one https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/223/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hori callin' out the hand that feeds him.

God bless.

EDIT: Oh god is that a Gorillaz reference.