Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, it's not just about the record against those teams, it's that those teams are rarely any real threat to take the division and force the Pats to play from a wild card seed. Meanwhile the AFCW has had a 12-4 wildcard in 2 of the past 3 years.

I seriously forgot the Raiders won 12 games in 2016.

in fairness I try purging the Mike McCoy years out as best I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The AFCW has absolutely been the worst during that stretch. The Rams, Cardinals and 49ers have often been among the worst teams in the league.

we just gonna let this one go by or

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

He's in the position of not having to care about the AFCW in the playoffs or any of those teams in general so it's understandable.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Alaois posted:

Blah, I meant NFCW of course!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

King Hong Kong posted:

In essence, the AFC East is the second least competitive division in the league because it is utterly incapable of producing a second best team that can reach the playoffs.

The AFC East has had two playoff teams two of the past three years. As have the South and West...

Maybe the North is the true garbage division of the AFC. :thunk:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mega64 posted:

The AFC East has had two playoff teams two of the past three years. As have the South and West...

the fuckin bills snuck into the playoffs, i forgot about that

Nov 6, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Ah, but the Bills only got in because of Andy Dalton.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

evilweasel posted:

the fuckin bills snuck into the playoffs, i forgot about that

On second thought, the entire AFC is garbage.

Nov 6, 2002

Mega64 posted:

On second thought, the entire AFC is garbage.

AFC is due for a big shakeup.

Pats have had an exodus on both sides of the ball and their coaching staff, and Brady is reeeeally old.
Thanos snapped on the Ravens defense and their QB is a project.
Steelers lost their best playmakers and Ben is going to break in two someday and will probably piss off someone else talented this year.
Rivers is going to be 38 this year and has already entered a slight decline.

Someone has to pickup the slack.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pats/AFCE is a hard to isolate feedback loop, but if you look at all the anecdotal evidence (rosters, management changes, this forum reactions, etc), its pretty clear than the non-Pats AFCE have literally no idea what they're doing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Blah, I meant NFCW of course!

Those teams aren’t notably worse than the AFC east in win percentage over the past 15 years.

Since 2003:
Arizona - 46.2
NYJ - 44.5
Miami - 43.8
San Francisco - 42.6
Buffalo - 42
LA/STL - 40.8

The difference is that in that time period every one of those teams has won the division multiple times. Each one of them has been really good for at least some point during that stretch. Every one has a 13 win season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is that first fight in the beginning of The Highlander when everyone knows Connor MacLeod belongs to the Kurgan.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AFC is due for a big shakeup.

Pats have had an exodus on both sides of the ball and their coaching staff, and Brady is reeeeally old.
Thanos snapped on the Ravens defense and their QB is a project.
Steelers lost their best playmakers and Ben is going to break in two someday and will probably piss off someone else talented this year.
Rivers is going to be 38 this year and has already entered a slight decline.

Someone has to pickup the slack.

Rivers has gotten better each of the last three years

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's how often each team was Bad / Average / Good since 2001:

Bad = <7 wins, Good 10+

pre:
		Bad  Average	Good 
Patriots	0	1	17
Jets		8	5	5
Dolphins	6	8	4
Bills		9	9	0

Steelers	1	5	12
Ravens		3	6	9
Bengals		6	6	6
Browns		13	4	1

Colts		3	2	13
Titans		6	8	4
Texans		7	7	3
Jaguars		11	4	3

Chiefs		5	5	8
Broncos		3	8	7
Chargers	4	9	5
Raiders		12	3	3

Eagles		2	6	10
Cowboys		5	7	6
Giants		6	6	6
Washington	8	8	2

Packers		3	3	12
Vikings		6	7	5
Bears		6	6	6
Lions		11	5	2

Saints		1	10	7
Falcons		4	7	7
Panthers	4	8	6
Buccaneers	9	6	3

Seahawks	2	7	9
49ers		8	5	5
Rams		7	7	4
Cardinals	8	6	4

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 3, 2019

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
lmao Bills @ 0

lmao Pats @ 17 and Jets+Dolphins+Bills @ 9

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

lmao Bills @ 0

lmao Pats @ 17 and Jets+Dolphins+Bills @ 9

I also tallied another category of Great seasons, which required 13+ wins:

7 - Patriots
3 - Saints / Colts / Broncos / Steelers
2 - Bears / Falcons / Cowboys / Packers / Eagles / Chargers / Seahawks / Rams
1 - Cardinals / Ravens / Panthers / Chiefs / Vikings / 49ers / Titans

I'm kind of shocked the Packers had less then the Broncos.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 3, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Your numbers seem slightly off -- the Browns have only 16 seasons, the Saints have 18, the Packers have 17.

Saints being the most average team since '01 is funny.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Mega64 posted:

I'm fairly certain that the AFC East has had the fewest wildcard teams in the league since re-alignment. Obviously that's not the full thrust of that argument, which is that the second and third best teams in the AFC East are quite poor compared to the other second and third best teams and don't effectively impact the Patriots' seeding in the playoffs. The "bad season" chart above demonstrates this pretty well.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 3, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your numbers seem slightly off -- the Browns have only 16 seasons, the Saints have 18, the Packers have 17.

Saints being the most average team since '01 is funny.

I lost a few seasons somewhere, figuring that out.

Aside from my 1st problem... I was only pulling wins, so that means the Lions / Browns are missing a year, haha.

Oh, hah, found it. The other problem is the AFC/NFC Central existed in 2001 instead of the North/South

Fixed it, it'd be unfair to short the Bears a Devil number.

-----------

Also yeah, the Saints thing is funny, but I guess if you're *that* bad on defense that often, you can somehow drag down an all time great QB.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 3, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

I'm fairly certain that the AFC East has had the fewest wildcard teams in the league since re-alignment. Obviously that's not the full thrust of that argument, which is that the second and third best teams in the AFC East are quite poor compared to the other second and third best teams and don't effectively impact the Patriots' seeding in the playoffs. The "bad season" chart above demonstrates this pretty well.

Yep, though the Jets are tied with the Ravens for most wildcard appearances of any team. They even won 3 of them

Times team has been a wildcard:

Jets 5
Bills 1
Dolphins 1
Patriots 0

Ravens 5
Bengals 3
Steelers 3
Browns 1

Colts 4
Titans 3
Jaguars 2
Texans 0

Chiefs 3
Broncos 2
Chargers 2
Raiders 1

Giants 4
Eagles 3
Cowboys 2
Washington 2

Packers 3
Lions 3
Vikings 2
Bears 0

Falcons 4
Saints 2
Panthers 2
Buccaneers 1

Seahawks 4
49ers 2
Cardinals 1
Rams 1

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
But what does it all MEAN, basil?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

None of this is special to the AFCN.

Ben gets injured because he holds on to the ball and takes a million killshots while trying to shrug a tackler off. Not because he plays in the AFCN.

Disagree. There's very few teams left that will hit QBs the way teams in the AFCN will. I rarely worry about defenses outside of the division when it comes to Ben getting hurt. Maybe the Broncos

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Disagree. There's very few teams left that will hit QBs the way teams in the AFCN will. I rarely worry about defenses outside of the division when it comes to Ben getting hurt. Maybe the Broncos

A successful season for the Brown's used to be injuring Ben right before the Playoffs, guaranteeing an early Steelers exit.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

It's poo poo, Austin

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Bros don’t lie. The AFC is loving garbage.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Rivers has gotten better each of the last three years

Yeah. Two of Rivers' most efficient seasons have been the last couple since Lynn took the team over.

He's old but he still looks like he's got another year or two at least. It isn't like Eli where he's very blatantly just done and there isn't anything anybody can do about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm pretty sure last time we had this discussion we found that the Pats' winning percentage against the rest of the league is either roughly equal or better than their winning percentage in-division. it's fun to poo poo on the Jets/Bills/Fins but the rest of the NFL hasn't put up much of a fight either

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, since 2001 you've got the Browns, Jags forever, Chiefs were in there a few times, Raiders, etc. I don't think the AFC East had the losingest AFC teams as a whole during that timespan.

Bills were mostly bad but only had one 3 and one 4 win season in there, it's a bunch of 6-10 and 7-9 seasons for them. The Jets were worse as far as bad years go but also were actually good for a couple of years in there. The Dolphins were like the definition of mediocrity that whole time other than one 1-15 season.

Losingest was the wrong word, I should've said "worst" losing teams. The AFC East, as a division with three bad teams, is unlikely to have many teams that are actually the losingest.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I agree there is a special element of physicality that the AFCN, along with some other divisions, tend to have more of.

Still, the only way QBs are gonna get hurt these days is if they run into their own player, get rolled up on as they're dragged to the ground, or tear their ACL without contact. Ben played in the glory days of QB targeting but those days are gone now

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

indigi posted:

I'm pretty sure last time we had this discussion we found that the Pats' winning percentage against the rest of the league is either roughly equal or better than their winning percentage in-division. it's fun to poo poo on the Jets/Bills/Fins but the rest of the NFL hasn't put up much of a fight either

yeah, I mostly was just bored this afternoon at work so decided to dump some data into a spreadsheet.

Mostly just happy to find out that the most dead average teams of this era are the Bengals, Bears and Giants.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

yeah, I mostly was just bored this afternoon at work so decided to dump some data into a spreadsheet.

Mostly just happy to find out that the most dead average teams of this era are the Bengals, Bears and Giants.

And yet the Giants have 2 Superbowl wins

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

We've come full circle, now. Basically, it's impossible to separate a team's wins and losses from their division, and likewise it's impossible to separate their division from wins and losses. I'm comfortable saying the Patriots have had an abnormally easy path to the playoffs and byes for a long, long time. They're also a very good team that is good at winning generally. Both of those things can be true at the same time, and they are

Also,

Ehud posted:

one interesting thing about the pats is that they cheat to win football games

;)

Kalli posted:

For me it's enjoyable every now and then to have a spirited discussion and get down into the nitty gritty. Even if there's no real conclusion reached.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Flikken posted:

proof that the trumpets of Revelation have begun sounding

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

just lol at complaining about the AFCe when your team has like 1 playoff win in the past 20 years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

For me it's enjoyable every now and then to have a spirited discussion and get down into the nitty gritty. Even if there's no real conclusion reached.

I think the inescapable conclusion from the data is that cheating is extremely effective.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the inescapable conclusion from the data is that cheating is extremely effective.

maybe other teams should be better at it instead of getting caught doing dumb poo poo like piping crowd noise into the stadium

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

evilweasel posted:

maybe other teams should be better at it instead of getting caught doing dumb poo poo like piping crowd noise into the stadium

:patssay:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Flikken posted:

Eli Manning's whole career is the adage of how it's better to be lucky than actually good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Amy Pole Her posted:

The Lions are poop :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR