Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i can't believe there are people that unironically argue for literal translations in the year 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've never watched that sub. Is it translating the basic meaning of the Japanese name, or something totally made up?

absolutely anything posted:

i can't believe there are people that unironically argue for literal translations in the year 2019

I'm... not?

Saying they should keep proper names the same or translate their actual meaning is far removed from some TV-Nihon level poo poo or going full on "keikaku means plan".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tir McDohl posted:

It's kinda funny how Jojo's Bizarre Adventure subs use "localizations" when it would be way better if they didn't but Pokemon doesn't use localizations when it would be better if they did.

that's probably because crunchyroll doesn't own the intellectual property of things that get said in jojo and them being changed is the only way we get subs in the first place

with pokemon it's not an issue either way but the end result in both cases is that we all know what they're referring to as it is so who cares even if nothing ends up being changed about the process

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
The "copyright dodging" JoJo does is good, actually. You get poo poo like "Worse Company" that way.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
jojo is a weird edge case where they change the names to cover their asses legally and were we not in a capitalist hell world they'd definitely just use what the characters are actually saying, saying they should use the japanese pokemon names is some extremely pushing up your dork glasses and complaining that they translated "futon ga futtonda" as "why did the chicken cross the road" kinda poo poo

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's probably because crunchyroll doesn't own the intellectual property of things that get said in jojo and them being changed is the only way we get subs in the first place

I'm not arguing against the reality of the situation for those subs, I just dream of a world where copyright law isn't so overbearing

Ada posted:

The "copyright dodging" JoJo does is good, actually. You get poo poo like "Worse Company" that way.

I feel like this is the exception rather than the rule.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Inspired by a thread I saw on Smogon, regional variants that should totally exist:
  • Johtonese Honedge: Grass/Ghost, based on a shinai.
  • Kantonian Honedge: Normal/Ghost, appears to be a katana made of thousand-folded Hanzo steel but is actually cheap plastic. Poor Attack, but high Special Attack because it looks cool.
  • Unovan Honedge: Electric/Ghost, based on the beam sword from the Smash games (because Nintendo owns the rights to that) and definitely not a lightsaber!
  • Unovan Sudowoodo: Steel, was popular as a Christmas decoration back in the 60s.
  • Kalosian Vanillite: Ice/Electric, resembles lemon sorbet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ada posted:

the "localized" english subs for the Ace Attorney anime are also very good because it changes all references to japanese food to burgers or whatever despite visibly being like, ramen. its perfect

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sea Lily posted:

the "localized" english subs for the Ace Attorney anime are also very good because it changes all references to japanese food to burgers or whatever despite visibly being like, ramen. its perfect

they actually do two entirely different sets of subs

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nodosaur posted:

they actually do two entirely different sets of subs

yeah thats why i specified the "localized" ones. the subs using the japanese names are there too for the people that want them
its the best way to do it (just make both!), but, youre not going to get that sort of choice from fansubs

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yes, because that's a lot of work to time and upload two entirely different sets for free

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Silver2195 posted:

• Kalosian Vanillite: Ice/Electric, resembles lemon sorbet.

I like the idea of a Grass-type Vanillite line, based on the vanilla plant, and a Fire/Grass Bellsprout line, based on peppers.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Galar Pyroar: poison/fire Pyroar. Has wings on its back (ability is levitate), and a scorpion tale. One of the Galar elite 4 has it as his Coat of Arms.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Elite Four of Lords and Elite Four of Commons for Galar region.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm a bit sad I've still had no luck getting a shiny ponyta or rapidash. But man, my 4IV rapidash is getting things done. Unicorn is still a good boy. Seadra's putting in lots of work, clefable is cute. Shrooms' IVs aren't great but he is a good boy. And alolan golem is way more awesome than I thought it would be.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The difference between Jojo's and Pokemon is that with the Stand names, they're mostly in English (Besides a couple here and there that are references to Japanese bands). So with English, changing an English term to another English term would naturally have that bit of pushback (Aside from other factors, such as fans being accustomed to those names and such)

Pokemon has it different where the original names ARE Japanese, so there could be a case on both ends where some people feel those Japanese names should be localized to an English audience, or just left alone due to the unnecessary nature of changing a name.

Localized names are an interesting topic for me overall, even down to the critique of what names are changed into what, so I do hope people keep things to a critical level, rather than caustic. :eng101:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
psychologically, this explains everything

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

psychologically, this explains everything

Ash js the spirit of intellect?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Mesprit represents Emotion (Dawn has them)
Uxie represents Knowledge (Brock is a medical doctor)
Azelf represents Willpower (Ash is very stubborn and tenacious)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Dawn is Link, Brock is Zelda, Ash is the Demon King.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'll raise you one:

Ash, Brock, Dawn. They even match Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit color-wise.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have no horse in the pokemon sub game, but any subgroup translating Henshin in Toku shows is commiting a crime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ash is Sonic, Brock is Tails, Dawn is Knuckles

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

That would make sense if Pokemon English names were consistently derived from their Japanese names, but they aren't. They oftentimes have completely different root words or inspirations. Pawniard for instance references a completely different game from Komatana.

Yeah to an english speaking audience that reference is completely lost, which is to safe, gibberish.

The english translation of Blacky is Umbreon. Getting mad that the subs say Umbreon when the japanese text is Blacky is as dumb as getting mad the subs say Let's Go instead of IKUZE!

This is the kind of weird obsession with THE TRUTH MEANING OF THE PREVIOUS GLORIOUS ORIGINAL LANGUAGE that leads to poo poo like TV-Nihon subs or those One Piece translators that don't translate 'Nakama' to 'Crew' or 'friends' cause that word is just too powerful to be in english.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I will not be satisfied until every game comes with a (translator's note:) with three paragraphs explaining the pun and its relevance to Japanese culture, every time a Pokémon name is mentioned.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Who the gently caress is Dawn the pokeyman show has ash, brock, and misty and it only aired when I was 12

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Dawn was the best protag the series has had, she should be retconned as the star of all 21 seasons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah to an english speaking audience that reference is completely lost, which is to safe, gibberish.

The english translation of Blacky is Umbreon. Getting mad that the subs say Umbreon when the japanese text is Blacky is as dumb as getting mad the subs say Let's Go instead of IKUZE!

This is the kind of weird obsession with THE TRUTH MEANING OF THE PREVIOUS GLORIOUS ORIGINAL LANGUAGE that leads to poo poo like TV-Nihon subs or those One Piece translators that don't translate 'Nakama' to 'Crew' or 'friends' cause that word is just too powerful to be in english.

4kids poisoned the well so drat badly that the backlash got downright stupid in response.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I know people love their Eeveelutions so here's a link to own them all: https://hlj.com/g-e-m-ex-series-pokemon-eevee-friends-meg82741

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You should translate pokemon just as you would translate cat or dog. :psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Or how Nippon is Japan or Deutschland is Germany in English.

Things often have different names in different languages.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

less laughter posted:

Mesprit represents Emotion (Dawn has them)
Uxie represents Knowledge (Brock is a medical doctor)
Azelf represents Willpower (Ash is very stubborn and tenacious)

Oh I thought it was that Uxie and Brock both had their eyes closed all the time.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

How do you decide which version to pick? Do you check the exclusive monsters first, or decide based on what your IRL acquaintances will get?

I usually just pick the cold-colored version. I only broke that streak with Y because Hellbird won my heart.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I got moon so that most of my playtime would have day time.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the two versions split is just a capitalist tactic to increase sales dattebayo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pentaro posted:

How do you decide which version to pick? Do you check the exclusive monsters first, or decide based on what your IRL acquaintances will get?

I usually just pick the cold-colored version. I only broke that streak with Y because Hellbird won my heart.

Usually I pick whichever has Pokemon I like more, though with UM I went with what would help me complete my Pokedex more (since I had Sun already).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pentaro posted:

Whichever one has Jigglypuff

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zedd posted:

I have no horse in the pokemon sub game, but any subgroup translating Henshin in Toku shows is commiting a crime.

If they don't translate it as "morph" then they are terrible people.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Elusive monsters/box legendary is how I chose and yet my first choice is always the one without Vulpix.

And that's why it took me 17 years to use a mon with a design I've liked since I was 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Avalerion posted:

I got moon so that most of my playtime would have day time.
I got Sun so that most of my playtime would have Dusk Balls working.

if we ever meet we will annihilate in a flash of energy or something