Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I know people love their Eeveelutions so here's a link to own them all: https://hlj.com/g-e-m-ex-series-pokemon-eevee-friends-meg82741

Speaking of Eeveelutions and Pokemon names, what should the English names of the inevitable Eeveelutions for the remaining types be? While a lot of the existing ones are just a word associated with the type + Eon rather than actual wordplay, most of them at least sound good (with Leafeon being the exception), and I like the way Flareon can be read as either Flare + Eon or Flare + On. My ideas:

• Drageon (Dragon, obviously)
  • Ireon (Steel)
  • Litheon (Rock, has a lithe body)
  • Spectreon (Ghost)
  • Zephreon (Flying)
  • Geon (Ground)
  • Muscleon (Fighting)
  • Musiceon (Normal, playing on "musician")
  • Veneon (Poison)
  • Hiveon (Bug)

Some of these are probably really bad, but I'm not sure which ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Eeveelutions and Pokemon names, what should the English names of the inevitable Eeveelutions for the remaining types be? While a lot of the existing ones are just a word associated with the type + Eon rather than actual wordplay, most of them at least sound good (with Leafeon being the exception), and I like the way Flareon can be read as either Flare + Eon or Flare + On. My ideas:

• Ireon (Steel)
  • Spectreon (Ghost)
  • Zephreon (Flying)
  • Geon (Ground)
  • Muscleon (Fighting)
  • Veneon (Poison)
  • Hiveon (Bug)

Fighting type should be Bludgeon, hands down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dienes posted:

Fighting type should be Bludgeon, hands down.

Ooh, that's a good one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flying Eeveelution is Halyceon :effort:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

.......Vulgina

I love that the cries of Vullaby and Mandibuzz are "I'm loving sick of this" and "I'm a banana" respectively

And Palpitoad is a phone on vibrate

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pentaro posted:

How do you decide which version to pick? Do you check the exclusive monsters first, or decide based on what your IRL acquaintances will get?

I usually just pick the cold-colored version. I only broke that streak with Y because Hellbird won my heart.

Usually a combination of box legendary and exclusives, whichever has teh coolest factor in those categories. However, outside of these forums I usually have a moon themed username, so I had to get Moon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Flying Eeveelution is Halyceon :effort:

That's another good one!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Silver2195 posted:

• Ireon (Steel)
  • Spectreon (Ghost)
  • Zephreon (Flying)
  • Geon (Ground)
  • Muscleon (Fighting)
  • Veneon (Poison)
  • Hiveon (Bug)

How did you miss Champeon for Fighting?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

How did you miss Champeon for Fighting?

Feels too easy, probably
(Some) People like being clever with their names

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Eeveelutions and Pokemon names, what should the English names of the inevitable Eeveelutions for the remaining types be?

these

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Eeveon

Normal

Learns Return

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think the biggest issue I have against fanmade Eeveelutions is that most of them don't seem to be "cute" enough to qualify as a good tool for mass marketing, which is the main point behind Eevee and its evolutions being popular in the first place.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zuzie posted:

I think the biggest issue I have against fanmade Eeveelutions is that most of them don't seem to be "cute" enough to qualify as a good tool for mass marketing, which is the main point behind Eevee and its evolutions being popular in the first place.

Counterpoint:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

My brain keeps on adding "But I won't cry for yesterday" to the front of Ordinareon.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Boringeon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blandeon becomes the new meta and completely rewrites the competitive scene

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah to an english speaking audience that reference is completely lost, which is to safe, gibberish.

The english translation of Blacky is Umbreon. Getting mad that the subs say Umbreon when the japanese text is Blacky is as dumb as getting mad the subs say Let's Go instead of IKUZE!

This is the kind of weird obsession with THE TRUTH MEANING OF THE PREVIOUS GLORIOUS ORIGINAL LANGUAGE that leads to poo poo like TV-Nihon subs or those One Piece translators that don't translate 'Nakama' to 'Crew' or 'friends' cause that word is just too powerful to be in english.

I've already addressed this, and to be frank, I'm not going to debate with someone who takes the flying leap from saying "proper nouns should stay unchanged in a sub" to saying I want TV-Nihon poo poo where they leave everything the same.

I even said I'd be okay with something on the level of what Kamen Rider Gaim's subs did with Gridon when I suggested localizing Golisopod's name so the reference to samurai is kept. You're shoving words in my mouth to make me seem more extreme than I actually am.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Thing is, one of the reasons that I saw given for keeping the names the same is that changing Golisopod's name was removing some reference to it being a Samurai.

If you had not explicitly told me that reference was there, I would have no way of knowing, whether his name was changed or not because I don't speak Japanese. References and puns don't work cross-language without localization, and script re-writing. If your reference requires the other person to understand the language you're translating from, then it's not going to work unless you localize it and re-write the reference so people who only speak the language you're translating to can understand it. And if they do understand the language you're translating from, then why are you translating it at all?

I'm for using the localized names.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
[slamming the desk] arino-kacho is CLEARLY saying BC GENJIN and not "BONK". "BONK" does not carry over the HILARIOUS DOUBLE MEANING involving the system the game appears on, the PC ENGINE, which is the japanese name for the "TURBOGRAFX-16" (WHICH HE IS ALSO NOT SAYING!!) [swipes all items off the desk] this is BULLSHIT

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I refuse to watch Any of this show, they keep calling them Pokemon, and not Pocket Monsters.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BattleCattle posted:

I refuse to watch Any of this show, they keep calling them Pokemon, and not Pocket Monsters.

Monster Balls > Poke Balls

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vinylshadow posted:

Monster Balls > Poke Balls

I giggle at "great balls" every time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I picked up some Super Balls!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Japanese language puns are drat near impossible to translate, but leaving them untranslated as an exercise to the listener is not the goddamn solution.

And you definitely don't need a 3 page translator note explaining that Gusokumusha has 4 separate meanings every time Guzma tells him to use a move.

If you're translating into English then use the English names, that goes double for moves.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Beast Balls are called Ultra Balls in Japan

translator's note: they really are

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

i just now realised that mew and mewtwo are cats and don't know how i didn't realise it before

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Flareon is called BOOSTER, that’s rad sick, bruh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Japanese language puns are drat near impossible to translate, but leaving them untranslated as an exercise to the listener is not the goddamn solution.

And you definitely don't need a 3 page translator note explaining that Gusokumusha has 4 separate meanings every time Guzma tells him to use a move.

If you're translating into English then use the English names, that goes double for moves.

so do you think satoshi should be translated as ash in these subs? cause i kinda don't like that at all

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

i just now realised that mew and mewtwo are cats and don't know how i didn't realise it before

their names give it away, they aren't called woof and wooftwo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

their names give it away, they aren't called woof and wooftwo

mine are

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

so do you think satoshi should be translated as ash in these subs? cause i kinda don't like that at all

Satoshi is his name. Which is fine(even though there's an official english name). And if these people nicknamed their pokemon then I'd be fine with referring to them as their nicknames. But there's more than one Golisopod. It's the name of the species. It'd be like leaving "Dog" untranslated or using Ningen rather than Person.

e: also there's a much lower barrier to entry of "Ash's japanese name is Satoshi" compared to "please memorize the Japanese names of all 809 Pokemon."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 4, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Persian has its dumb English name only because they were too lazy to localize the Japanese name and correct the mistake.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Satoshi is his name. Which is fine(even though there's an official english name). And if these people nicknamed their pokemon then I'd be fine with referring to them as their nicknames. But there's more than one Golisopod. It's the name of the species. It'd be like leaving "Dog" untranslated or using Ningen rather than Person.

e: also there's a much lower barrier to entry of "Ash's japanese name is Satoshi" compared to "please memorize the Japanese names of all 809 Pokemon."

that's fair, I was just unsure of how far you're line of reasoning went. fwiw if i watched a fansub I'd prefer they localize the pokemon names too but i totally see where nodosaur's coming from and i don't agree with the gang-up on him

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

what are their japanese names?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

that's fair, I was just unsure of how far you're line of reasoning went. fwiw if i watched a fansub I'd prefer they localize the pokemon names too but i totally see where nodosaur's coming from and i don't agree with the gang-up on him

Like I'd be fine with a sub going either way(Ash or Satoshi) but the idea of re-translating Pokemon names into completely new ones that better adhere to the "intent" of the Japanese is completely off the goddamn rails.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

what are their japanese names?

inu and ini

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

that's p good

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's bullshit that any translation is happening, the subs should just be in Japanese to really get across the mood of the original tbh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

[slamming the desk] arino-kacho is CLEARLY saying BC GENJIN and not "BONK". "BONK" does not carry over the HILARIOUS DOUBLE MEANING involving the system the game appears on, the PC ENGINE, which is the japanese name for the "TURBOGRAFX-16" (WHICH HE IS ALSO NOT SAYING!!) [swipes all items off the desk] this is BULLSHIT

Kurieg posted:

why do you keep saying I'm arguing for things I'm not?

I've clarified repeatedly that this isn't what I'm arguing people say. Why the hell do people take a flying leap from "dub names don't belong in a sub and here's why" to saying that people want huge, repetitive translator's notes or that I want "nakama" to be left untranslated or poo poo like that? I'm not even saying that people should memorize the Japanese names of Pokemon; the core of my point there is most people watching this are enthusiasts anyway and are gonna recognize them by appearance. A Chansey showing up and being called "Lucky" is more likely to illicit the reaction of "Huh, a Chansey. So that's what they're called over there" than "WHAT IS THIS STRANGE CREATURE I CAN'T RECOGNIZE IT ANYMORE".

Kurieg posted:

Like I'd be fine with a sub going either way(Ash or Satoshi) but the idea of re-translating Pokemon names into completely new ones that better adhere to the "intent" of the Japanese is completely off the goddamn rails.

Look, I'm gonna be honest. I'm not wild about it either. I offered it as a good faith argument because people brought up Kamen Rider subs and I remembered how well people responded to how "Gridon" because "Ornac" and how it made me see the value of english names in subs that do their best to incorporate the essence of the Japanese name.

Saying "Gosukomusha" isn't the same as "Golisopod" a matter of trying to pump up the glorious aspects of the Japanese language and berate the english name. They chose their name for the sake of marketability, which is a dub's prerogative. I'm only talking about it because... well, that's the actual case. They are not 1:1 the same thing by definition. That's just an objective reality, whether it's important or not.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is my thought too.

Character and place names untranslated, Pokemon and move names localized. With place names being less of a preference than character names.

But I also spent my preteen years watching the anime raw, so I equally think of Ash as both “Ash” and “Satoshi”. Same with Dawn as both “Dawn” and “Hikari”.

(Doesn’t apply to call characters though. TR’s pretty much always Jessie, James, and Meowth to me instead of Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyarth. But that’s because the theme of the localization of their names is more memorable to my American brain I think. )