Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my loving christ Papadopoulos is being interviewed on wnyc and he's being the biggest piece of poo poo worm ever.

how the gently caress does he have a ghost written book? isnt that poo poo loving ilegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InsertPotPun posted:

In the middle of their "touchy Biden" campaign they elevate a serial harasser with a history of payments that trump has vigorously defended in the past.
Real life needs a rimshot.

You don't think Trump and the GOP would run against Biden as a touchy creep despite his being accused of much worse? Their superpower is shamelessness.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Payouts to Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

syense posted:

This is the same hermain Cain who made his fortune slinging gas station pizza, yes?

for what it's worth, herman cain served on the board of the fed reserve kansas city branch for like six years

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

InsertPotPun posted:

In the middle of their "touchy Biden" campaign they elevate a serial harasser with a history of payments that trump has vigorously defended in the past.
Real life needs a rimshot.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1113830207939645440

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

It largely is. Houses in course communities are plummeting in value as boomers move out to assisted living or die and no younger people want to buy a place where you can't walk to anything and you have to pay an assload to the HOA for course upkeep.

https://twitter.com/samsykesswears/status/1083759258989060096

And those sorts of courses apparently were never profitable or sustainable as independent business ventures to begin with. Instead just being built to inflate the value of the houses in those communities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Asema posted:

there's a couple spoiled codebros in my office that golf and that's all I know and it seems more from what they did with their very rich family than their age though tbh
Golf is a very fun low key fuckoff "sport" that can either be an excuse to walk around some greens for a few hours and shoot the poo poo, to meticulously hone your form to make marginal improvements, or to just have a reason to get some drinks and drive an electric version of the jumpy-rear end truck from the Halo games.

Unfortunately the barriers to entry (greens fees, complete club sets, atrocious water/land usage) and the people attracted to the clubs that care for courses don't make it accessible or worthwhile in our hellworld.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1D0quttOeY

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

And those sorts of courses apparently were never profitable or sustainable as independent business ventures to begin with. Instead just being built to inflate the value of the houses in those communities.

yeah, golf course communities are the funko pops of rapidly aging white guys who retired and moved to the sunbelt so they could golf every day

big suburban boomer mansions are breaking even at best in terms of retaining value but if your subdivision has a big failing golf course attached to it, woof. the best course scenario is that the golf course is turned into greenspace/garden

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ENBrown/status/1113753754703159297

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

selec posted:

We get paid in rubles to screw with the rubes, right? Jesus get it together.

Nobody's saying that you disingenuous poo poo. What they are saying is it's very weird to call Glenn Greenwald a leftist when he goes on a white supremacist's show on a white supremacist-run network and agrees with him. It's also weird to act like Glenn Greenwald acts in good faith when he has frequently lied his rear end off if he thought the news would damage the West, and his two-faced-ness and hypocrisy. (see: his complete denial of Bashar Al-Assad's chemical weapons use. See: his defense of Operation Iraqi Freedom that, unlike a certain Presidential Candidate, he has never admitted that he ever had that opinion to begin with. See: his defense of anti-immigration policies. See: Backing the loving Oath-Keepers. See: his defense of Citizens United. See: burning Reality Winner. See, using illegal wiretaps). It is further weird to not think for a second that it's super odd that Glenn Greenwald completely agreed with a summary filed by a Trump-appointed-AG whose previous big claim to fame was "Covered up Iran-Contra".

EDIT: Seriously, other journalists rightly get lambasted for doing half the poo poo Greenwald has done but he gets a pass?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 4, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It might be quicker at this point to name the members of this administration who aren't

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh I've missed whiney baby about the investigation Donny :allears:

Victory lap Donny was insufferable

luxury handset posted:

for what it's worth, herman cain served on the board of the fed reserve kansas city branch for like six years

I read that as "human cain" and got an lol

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2019

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

It might be quicker at this point to name the members of this administration who aren't

Oddly enough, the surprisingly scandal-free Rick Perry. I don't know how a man so widely known to be corrupt as gently caress has managed to basically be the least hosed up person in this administration. I keep forgetting he even exists.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This sounds like what would happen if you put a kid in charge or something

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/taragolshan/status/1113834562537259008

AOC and Jonathan Van Ness? Stop it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

Do you know anyone your age who golfs? Because I don't. The only person I know who golfs regularly is my future FiL, and he's 77.

But man, when my city tried to turn the municipal course into a huge multi-use park, citing declining use as the main reason, the few dozen olds who still used it pitched an absolute loving fit to the point that in what was I'm absolutely certain was deal rife with corruption and kickbacks and such, the city purchased a failing local country club to use an an "events center" and turned that course into a municipal one. My understanding is that like the previous one, it is little used and only by a small number of people.

There has been a decade long fight in Austin over a golf course hogging up 141 acres about a mile from downtown. The university owns the property and wants to build facilities and housing there but it is also in the richest area of town and holy poo poo the lengths to which those fucks will go to block the change are astonishing.

Notably absent from their efforts though is putting up the money needed to take the University up on their offer to continue the lease at full market rate.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FilthyImp posted:

Golf is a very fun low key fuckoff "sport" that can either be an excuse to walk around some greens for a few hours and shoot the poo poo, to meticulously hone your form to make marginal improvements, or to just have a reason to get some drinks and drive an electric version of the jumpy-rear end truck from the Halo games.

Unfortunately the barriers to entry (greens fees, complete club sets, atrocious water/land usage) and the people attracted to the clubs that care for courses don't make it accessible or worthwhile in our hellworld.

It's also a very viscerally satisfying game. I like going to driving ranges occasionally because hitting golf balls has that same meaty feeling that hitting baseballs does. Not to mention that it's a lot of high drama while the ball is flying and you get nearly instant feedback.

On top of that it's a "low score" game like hockey which means that each win or loss is really felt.

Golf would be a great game if it wasn't so incredibly classist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i live on a golf course. golf stinks!

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/1113830165291970567

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also a very viscerally satisfying game. I like going to driving ranges occasionally because hitting golf balls has that same meaty feeling that hitting baseballs does. Not to mention that it's a lot of high drama while the ball is flying and you get nearly instant feedback.

On top of that it's a "low score" game like hockey which means that each win or loss is really felt.

Golf would be a great game if it wasn't so incredibly classist.

There are parts of the country with public courses and Goodwills selling sets of used clubs for nothing. It's possible for golf to be cheap and accessible, but rich people are reclusive assholes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Oddly enough, the surprisingly scandal-free Rick Perry. I don't know how a man so widely known to be corrupt as gently caress has managed to basically be the least hosed up person in this administration. I keep forgetting he even exists.

Perry and a few other Trump appointees seem to have gone in with a "I'm going to take down this overreaching government once and for all" attitude and months later had an epiphany of "Oh poo poo. What have I done." It's too late to actually fix the damage, of course.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This sounds like what would happen if you put a kid in charge or something

Seriously, this is how you scam your way into a lot of things. People aren't on the look out for someone walking up to the front door and going, "Hi, I'm supposed to be here. Could you let me in?" On top of that, minimum wage security guard at Mar-a-Lago is definitely warned that he'll be canned if he "inconveniences" a member. That's kind of situation that leads to huge blind spots. And since Trump is definitely preventing the secret service from doing their job since he wouldn't be able to channel money into his club if he didn't, the result is security that's not really there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

There are parts of the country with public courses and Goodwills selling sets of used clubs for nothing. It's possible for golf to be cheap and accessible, but rich people are reclusive assholes.

Also there's no reason it needs all that land. We could do just fine with driving ranges, Par 3 pitch-and-putts, and mini golf.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

To me, golfing is like shooting. I love going to the range to plink at paper zombies with a .22 rifle, it's fun as gently caress. And there was a par 3 by my house that was dope because it was cheap and hitting the golf ball on a nice Florida day is fun with a buddy. But my life would not be changed if either of these things went away forever, and I'm certainly not going to stand up for any of them.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also there's no reason it needs all that land. We could do just fine with driving ranges, Par 3 pitch-and-putts, and mini golf.
:yeah: Pitch-and-putts rule. There was a massive (for mini-golf) course by my grandparents' old house that was meticulously maintained, it was a great time and really challenging. They had two courses - one in the front that was wacky-times with clowns and windmills, and this serene, quiet course that had real grass and was challenging like a real golf green.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 4, 2019

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

selec posted:

We get paid in rubles to screw with the rubes, right? Jesus get it together.

It's real hard to take your purity police act seriously due to your other shitposting. I would go into more detail but we both know you're real sensitive about it.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
Since at least one of you is saying they live near a golf course, I really want to know how often someone there has to replace windows.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ReidRansom posted:

Do you know anyone your age who golfs? Because I don't. The only person I know who golfs regularly is my future FiL, and he's 77.
I know a fair number of young-30s dudes who golf. Not seriously, but as a relaxing thing to do outside in the summer occasionally. Like fishing only without having to deal with boats & mosquitos.

There are four golf courses (I think) in my town of ~50,000 people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
every advantage golf has is shared by frisbee golf, it depends on if you can tolerate the hippie crust factor better than white boomer men can

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Since at least one of you is saying they live near a golf course, I really want to know how often someone there has to replace windows.

Every time I play there.

luxury handset posted:

every advantage golf has is shared by frisbee golf, it depends on if you can tolerate the hippie crust factor better than white boomer men can

They frown on you beating the frisbee with a club.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Critical posted:

Tiger absolutely innovated fitness in golf. I was about 10 feet away from him at a tournament last year and he's still built like a brick shithouse.

his dad was Special Forces in the military, and Tiger obsessively chased his dad's legacy and basically destroyed his back by going through "navy seal training." Pretty sad story actually - http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Shifty Pony posted:

There has been a decade long fight in Austin over a golf course hogging up 141 acres about a mile from downtown. The university owns the property and wants to build facilities and housing there but it is also in the richest area of town and holy poo poo the lengths to which those fucks will go to block the change are astonishing.

Notably absent from their efforts though is putting up the money needed to take the University up on their offer to continue the lease at full market rate.

I don't know anyone in Austin that actually wants to get rid of Lions Muny, even people that aren't from Terry Town. UT isn't going to build housing for normal people or students, they're going to build $1500/month 1br apartment complexes on the land. I dont think paving over a big rear end open space in the middle of austin which sits on the aquifer and is close to the green belt and barton springs would be a good idea personally.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

There's a public golf course here in pittsburgh that's frequented by the blue collar steel mill types, of both races...

But they're all old as hosed.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

twice burned ice posted:

Do you think milk toast is a breakfast item or something?

We had to do something after Trump closed the border and we ran out of avocados.

E- didn't we just have golf chat like 2 weeks ago?

ummel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 4, 2019

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
turns out most sports are classist (either the players are privileged and the sport is gatekept, or are lower classes expected in engage in bloodsport for the privileged set), terrible for the environment, and effectively hazardous to your health

Maybe we should stop idolizing them???

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mango sentinel posted:

The Goodwill sets I've seen are usually in the $30-50 range (bag included). It's not a several-hundred dollar set of Titanium Graphite clubs, but that's still pricey. Considering most of the courses I've seen have the caveat that each player needs their own set, it can be daunting to get into. There's also a bit of keepaway due to dress codes and whatnot that newbies can find offputting.

Though you're right, if you're looking hard enough you can find a way to play.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kerning Chameleon posted:

turns out most sports are classist (either the players are privileged and the sport is gatekept, or are lower classes expected in engage in bloodsport for the privileged set), terrible for the environment, and effectively hazardous to your health

The NFL is modern day slave trade. And I agree to stop idolizing sports.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gatts posted:

The NFL is modern day slave trade.

I thought that was prison

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

We have a golf course near the middle of Des Moines where they started building houses assuming it would be yet another successful gated golf community. It didn't work at all, houses sat unsold, construction stopped and that whole area just sat mostly unused for years, other than some big charity golf tournament that happens there one weekend a year. It took them the better part of a decade to finally sell the few homes they did build. Unfortunately they haven't given up on it yet. Golf is, if not dying, then at least seriously declining. Very few people who are buying homes today care about golf.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ReidRansom posted:

But man, when my city tried to turn the municipal course into a huge multi-use park, citing declining use as the main reason, the few dozen olds who still used it pitched an absolute loving fit to the point that in what was I'm absolutely certain was deal rife with corruption and kickbacks and such, the city purchased a failing local country club to use an an "events center" and turned that course into a municipal one. My understanding is that like the previous one, it is little used and only by a small number of people.

The marketing manager I hired at the mobile game company I was at (2010-2016) was a 20-something who nailed a job at "Taylor Made Golf" and basically gets paid to play, interview players and talk about their stuff.

I don't play golf but I have to say that is a heck of a job.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

The Goodwill sets I've seen are usually in the $30-50 range (bag included). It's not a several-hundred dollar set of Titanium Graphite clubs, but that's still pricey. Considering most of the courses I've seen have the caveat that each player needs their own set, it can be daunting to get into. There's also a bit of keepaway due to dress codes and whatnot that newbies can find offputting.

Though you're right, if you're looking hard enough you can find a way to play.

There's a course near me that is next door to a superfund site, costs about $10, you can rent clubs for like $1 and they sell $2 beer. I'm pretty sure there's no dress code, and it regularly floods, making the game even more interesting. The course is cheaper than playing Golden Tee at the local brewery. So yeah, ymmv.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is basketball is the best sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Gatts posted:

The NFL is modern day slave trade.

Please elaborate. NFL players are compensated for their labor, have freedom of movement, and are represented by a player's union.

I get (and agree with) the argument that collegiate sports is modern indentured servitude, but calling the NFL a modern slave trade seems over-the-top