Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The fundamental design of Sekiro (and other souls games) is built around the super tightly designed and balanced difficulty, and there’s no real way to add assist modes without compromising the core vision of the developers

I’d argue that the only reason this is blowing up to be such a thing is because of all the other major releases having some sort of “story mode” where the gameplay becomes completely trivial and you basically just walk your way through the plot. I’d also argue that those games are basically admitting that the gameplay isn’t really an essential part of the experience, which is bad design 101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Teamed up with Vice to write an article on how this piece of poo poo doesn’t release his Games megathread posts in 10 major languages and simplified English for gamers who can’t figure out how to read God’s own language or use google translate.

elf help book posted:

look at that final line "The goal posts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers."

Lmfao. That’s the reason I hate him because he talks like that too except with a bunch of dramatic pausing and fumbling. gently caress you Klepek.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

im often impressed by just how bad of a writer pat is

same. in a way he is the great uniter

Wormskull posted:

It’s not the same because in one instance your telling people they have an obligation to compromise their craftwork. Stupid clown. You can’t program toxic gatekeeping into the game dude. Some people just can’t handle it. Whatevs.

The idea that any kind of vague, still-unspecified change to a game in the name of accessibility would "compromise their craftwork" is wrong imo and makes the whole conversation unnecessarily confrontational.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ive been saying for a long time how hosed up it is that The goal posts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the goalkeepers keep blocking my shots to beat uncharted 3 and gamefaqs says nothing about it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

elf help book posted:

ive been saying for a long time how hosed up it is that The goal posts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers

i read it on kotaku that the goalposts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm a gatekeeper, twisted gatekeeper.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

elf help book posted:

look at that final line "The goal posts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers."

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The idea that any kind of vague, still-unspecified change to a game in the name of accessibility would "compromise their craftwork" is wrong imo and makes the whole conversation unnecessarily confrontational.

If you had infinite resurrections (one of the suggestions the Celeste dev had for the game) it would fundamentally detract from the core experience of learning boss patterns and experimenting with different techniques and items; meanwhile it would also undermine the plot points about the effects of dragonrot as the consequence of your failures and the overall theme of eternal life being a curse worse than death

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

the goalkeepers keep blocking my shots to beat uncharted 3 and gamefaqs says nothing about it

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm a gatekeeper, twisted gatekeeper.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

same. in a way he is the great uniter

Journalists want to play a game that lets them see all the content because progression rather than mastery is what makes hem feel good. It doesn’t need to be specific to fly in the face of the whole point of a Souls style game’s design. gently caress off you hand wringing little poo poo. *brandishes roller coaster shotgun*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the phrase nintendo hard is a very ironic one that gamers tend to use, laughing at casual fans like me struggling with how games used to be very easy, until they had to gatekeep the goal posts

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If a game requires any sort of dedication to learning the ropes through trial & error and lots of dying, it's docked 2 Points. Subtract an additional Point if it's Japanese and popular for uh, reasons. Unless of course it's a 2d indie charmer made by a guy who regularly retweets me, then it's a masterpiece.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fundamental design of Sekiro (and other souls games) is built around the super tightly designed and balanced difficulty, and there’s no real way to add assist modes without compromising the core vision of the developers

I’d argue that the only reason this is blowing up to be such a thing is because of all the other major releases having some sort of “story mode” where the gameplay becomes completely trivial and you basically just walk your way through the plot. I’d also argue that those games are basically admitting that the gameplay isn’t really an essential part of the experience, which is bad design 101

I see what you're saying but I don't know if that holds true. People come to games for different reasons. You can button mash through bayonetta 2 on very easy and go through the whole thing, or you can try harder to get trophies or play on other difficulties. I don't think that's a game where I'd say the devs admitted the gameplay isn't an essential part of the experience, or that it hurts the game for people who want the challenge.

That's not to say that games with easy or story modes can't suck anyway. Just that those modes don't on their own hurt the intended game experience.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i would drop a full sized Destiny Iron Gjallarhorn Replica on someones head if they told me they beat celeste using the "accessibility" options

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Journalists don't like hard games bc they have to play everything that releases to have an opinion, so if they can't see the whole thing in under 3 days it's barely playable garbage, unless it's a loot shooter in which case they'll play it forever and also say other games are too long,

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If you had infinite resurrections (one of the suggestions the Celeste dev had for the game) it would fundamentally detract from the core experience of learning boss patterns and experimenting with different techniques and items; meanwhile it would also undermine the plot points about the effects of dragonrot as the consequence of your failures and the overall theme of eternal life being a curse worse than death

That's fair, I wouldn't recommend that change then!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Phew, thank goodness you're in charge of everything.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

circling klepek’s apartment blaring 2 Chainz’s Watch Out Little Bitch

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Or going back to Celeste, a game I really like and where I think persistence through failure is at the core of its themes: it didn't bother me that accessibility options were there and if someone used them to get through maybe they didn't have the same experience as me but that's ok. I feel like that game is pretty popular here and I'm curious if any of you feel it was cheapened by the easy mode stuff. Or if you or anyone you know felt patronized by it. I feel like this idea gets pushed back on as a social justice crusade bogeyman but when it's actually implemented it doesn't have these terrible effects. That's just my experience though.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Remember when Ben fell and busted his teeth Lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Professor Latency posted:

Lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its funny he wrote that tweet and then had to say "cant argue going to the dentist" and no one could call him a bitch for it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In retrospect that was a SJW hitsquad that curbstomped him in retaliation for tweeting "if you beat super Mario Bros 3 with a warp whistle your[sic] blocked".

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

In retrospect that was a SJW hitsquad that curbstomped him in retaliation for tweeting "if you beat super Mario Bros 3 with a warp whistle your[sic] blocked".

pat took a drat axe to his knees and the redwood came down

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the stuff in celeste is fuckin goofy, like you can turn off dying from falling into pits but it takes often longer and is more annoying to get back than just starting a room over anyway

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I picked that option because it seemed like the most accessible option possible (although I’m sure some people still wouldn’t be able to finish it). Because if that goes too far then you need to start making the decision about where the accessibility cutoff is and just how many people you will exclude from your game. Accessibility options are good for gaming as a whole but not every game needs to be equally accessible.

Vegans have every right to (and should!) push for more vegan options in their community and to raise awareness of vegan dining options, but at the same time a vegan will never be able to experience an omakase sushi restaurant, ever, because the experience is a very specific and deliberate one that cannot accommodate them. And that’s fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

...And Why That's OK.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

...And Why That's OK.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

People continuously conflate ease of play with accessibility in this dumb loving argument thanks in large part to patrick arguing like 3 different points at once all the while goalposting the gate in the argument.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The idea of gatekeeping a single player offline game is the funniest poo poo in the world to me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

The idea of gatekeeping a single player offline game is the funniest poo poo in the world to me

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1113552250276913152

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lastly, listen dude. No one in this forum is afraid of the SJW menace. Your preaching to the choir. The problem is that the journalists finally found a game made since 2010 that doesn’t bend over for their scrub asses, and they need to be talked poo poo about in a dead forum.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wandering over to a mirror and recoiling in horror when I see a GIT GUD ballcap in a Top Gun logo treatment: I'm...toxic???

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One of the big issues with the Easy Mode Discourse is that it's basically arguing that a video game is something that just happens to you instead of you interacting with the systems and like growing your skills and getting better. Like obviously not everybody has the same level of skill but that has little bearing on the game itself tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Wandering over to a mirror and recoiling in horror when I see a GIT GUD ballcap in a Top Gun logo treatment: I'm...toxic???

lol