Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Poor kids. I’d suggest therapy...

This. She's going to need a lot of therapy to get over the abuse she obviously faced as a child, and the husband needs to grow a spine and teach his wife all the damage she's doing to their children by transferring her trauma onto them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

how the world treats assholes..

:chaostrump:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://twitter.com/nathcun/status/1113767370374488065?s=19

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

literally how do you raise a child in an era where the person who does every single thing you tell them not to is elected president, gently caress

yes small fries please, no mayo

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Biohazard posted:

This. She's going to need a lot of therapy to get over the abuse she obviously faced as a child, and the husband needs to grow a spine and teach his wife all the damage she's doing to their children by transferring her trauma onto them.

Yeah the minute the post mentioned homeschooling my Abusedar went off. This mom was harmed by someone as a child and has lived her entire life with the resulting anxiety. She's a great housewife because there's a voice in the back of her head telling her that if she slacks off she'll lose everything.

sandoz posted:

literally how do you raise a child in an era where the person who does every single thing you tell them not to is elected president, gently caress

"rich people are sociopaths and people who seek authority are Damaged." simple enough :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
My ex deleted my BA thesis and underlying research off my computer. Due date is in 10 days. Do I have any recourse at all?
(self.legaladvice)
u/Thesis2019

Update-I need more help. My ex deleted my BA thesis and it’s due in 7 days
u/Thesis2019

these people all sound like morons so I give high odds on the thesis being in the recycle bin

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Renegret posted:

And in her head she was trying to do something nice. Getting yelled at will just make her double down on thinking that she was making the right decision and now they resent eachother because they can't communicate like adults.

90% of the stories in this thread can be resolved with good communication. The last 10% is solved with murder.

"My spouse is angrily yelling at me for poisoning them... so that must mean that I did the right thing"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

My (27m) wife (25f, together 8 years, married 6) refuses to leave our kids (6f and 3m) anywhere with an unrelated man, and it is starting to cause problems with my sister and her husband (30s, together 7 years, married 3)

quote:

She used to scare herself by staying up late reading about kids getting abducted and molested. I think it got to the point where she became really scared of all men.

quote:

She has never been abused (at least she never told me if she has), but her parents were helicopter parents too so I think this is just her continuing that with our kids. We had to keep our relationship secret from them for a while.

The sad thing is that she doesn't recognize her mom and dad's style of parenting as controlling and damaging because it wasn't :airquote: abuse :airquote:. Now she's continuing the cycle with her kids.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I'm going to say his wife was molested. Just because she never told him doesn't mean it didn't happen. Dude needs to gently suggest therapy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah the minute the post mentioned homeschooling my Abusedar went off. This mom was harmed by someone as a child and has lived her entire life with the resulting anxiety. She's a great housewife because there's a voice in the back of her head telling her that if she slacks off she'll lose everything.

Yeah, that would make sense. The part about how she and the OP are religious while the in-laws aren't and this caused a rift between them makes me think they're also just kind of crazy. The husband should really be making it clear that this is an issue and that help is available because she isn't just going to magically get better all of a sudden. The fact that none of the grandparents have a problem with her policy is not great either. I don't have a whole lot of hope for an extremely overprotective religious homeschooler choosing to get help unfortunately.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what leads you to believe that dude is capable of gently suggesting anything, his amazing deescalation technique for people getting offended when his wife implies their spouses are child molesters is going "well I don't think it's sexist" and then whining that they might "get petty" over it

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/AmItheAsshole
AITA for the "insensitive" sticker I have on my gun?
u/Farti_B

quote:

I like guns, and I have a near obsession with history. Going to the shooting range is a hobby of mine and I go ever so often to shoot the more "historical" guns that I have.

Due to my obsession with history, I too obsess over the history of my guns. One of these guns is a Mosin Nagant, the first "historical" gun I purchased. This Russian gun was made in Tula sometime during WWII according to the insignia on it. Jokingly, I put a "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker on the stock because considering the context and history of the rifle (and the quote) it may or may not have partaken in such an action. I'd usually be against stuff like this on an antique, but its just a sticker that can be peeled off easily and I have another (completely unmodified) Mosin from the same era and the same factory. Also, Mosins are a dime a dozen (relatively speaking, compared to other guns).

The other day my friends and I went to the shooting range and I brought it along. While we were there, someone came up to us and said the sticker is insensitive/offensive and trashy. I basically told him that the rifle indeed may have killed fascists a long time ago but now its just shoots paper and not people, in the same vein as many other historical firearms (especially from WWII). He told me that's true but the sticker almost implies that I'd use it to kill other people, and it's no different from putting "This machine kills (Any other ideology/group/etc)." I felt this was a really lovely comparison and told him that the phrase isn't some modern invention but goes back to WWII just like the rifle (it was actually coined by the same dude that wrote "My Land is Your Land").

We agreed to disagree, and by that time we had already been packing up so we left. My friends sided with me on the whole discussion, but I can't help feel that maybe it is kinda trashy. I never meant the sticker to refer to the modern political climate, and in my head it's always referred to the actual Nazis/fascists in WWII just like the quote originally does. AITA?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

it's good to be insensitive to fascists.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

Everything seems to be in order here except for the fact that the fascist he talked to is still standing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A: Killing fascists is good
B: This guy is not going to kill fascists
C: If you put stickers on your gun, you are risking having conversations with people at the gun range

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm going to say his wife was molested. Just because she never told him doesn't mean it didn't happen. Dude needs to gently suggest therapy.

One of the things you hear with a lot of victims of sexual abuse is that they didn't even process it as abuse until they usually go through a full on breakdown at some point. That MJ documentary was a pretty good example of this, they just didn't really see what had happened as abuse, because it happened as a child and they weren't capable of processing it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

lmao no points for guessing how hotly contested the ruling on this one is

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

keep the sticker on, and make it clear you do feel it applies to the current political situation imo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Just give it the Lionel Hutz treatment

This machine killsed facists?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

Imagine going out in the world with that on your gun and not having the wherewithal to reply "Are you a loving Fascist?" when some idiot clutches their pearls.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

TheScott2K posted:

Imagine going out in the world with that on your gun and not having the wherewithal to reply "Are you a loving Fascist?" when some idiot clutches their pearls.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

Oh it's trashy, but gently caress the fascist defender for making me side with such a trashy person.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Biohazard posted:

Oh it's trashy, but gently caress the fascist defender for making me side with such a trashy person.

it's literally the classiest sticker to ever enter a gun range

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

WIBTA for "robbing" my boyfriend for supporting cardi b's robbery?

quote:

My boyfriend ignorantly thinks Cardi B is a role model for robbing passed out men. Everytime surviving Cardi B comes up on our socials he always is over the top in defending her. As someone who has had a home invasion when I was 15, I'm disgusted he continues to support that.

We are in the process of moving in together, so I was hatching a little plan to wait until we're drinking this weekend hide most of his electronics,wallet, and keys in the basement so he can wake up to a cleaned out room and an open door and feel how much it shakes you up to have your poo poo missing. I wouldn't let him freak out for more than a few minutes before returning the stuff. AITA or is that too far

You would be the rear end in a top hat, but you should still do it

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Biohazard posted:

One of the things you hear with a lot of victims of sexual abuse is that they didn't even process it as abuse until they usually go through a full on breakdown at some point. That MJ documentary was a pretty good example of this, they just didn't really see what had happened as abuse, because it happened as a child and they weren't capable of processing it.

I know there’s an entire other thread about that doc but like, wasn’t that public knowledge? Like growing up I knew he was a diddler and didn’t need a making a murderer style zero fact documentary to tell me. What’s next, a crime “documentary” about how OJ was guilty, or about the Clintons being murderers?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tetramin posted:

I know there’s an entire other thread about that doc but like, wasn’t that public knowledge? Like growing up I knew he was a diddler and didn’t need a making a murderer style zero fact documentary to tell me. What’s next, a crime “documentary” about how OJ was guilty, or about the Clintons being murderers?

a lot to unpack here

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA for "robbing" my boyfriend for supporting cardi b's robbery?

You would be the rear end in a top hat, but you should still do it

She should do it but move all her poo poo out at the same time because her boyfriend seems like a moron.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Tetramin posted:

:chloe:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

r/AmItheAsshole
u/Farti_B

Wow that fascist snowflake was looking to get offended and should go back to his safe space.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for expecting more than half the pizza?

Apparently a large pizza in his area normally costs 3500 yen or about $35, and they don't own a "proper" oven to bake their own.

Still a lot of pettiness going on between these two.

LMAO at this guy dating Broko Ono

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Tetramin posted:

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread to much, but basically yes, we all kinda knew he was an abuser. But then these kids all came out and said he didn't do anything to them so it was sorta like "eh, maybe not, and his music is so good!".

I don't think most people really thought he was totally innocent, but the documentary is more about how typical the grooming process was, how it affected these two particular kids as they became adults, and what it took to come to terms with what had happened.

(I'm assuming the clinton thing was a joke/troll?)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Biohazard posted:

(I'm assuming the clinton thing was a joke/troll?)

:agesilaus:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
all US presidents have been murderers, so

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tetramin posted:

Edgelord jokes about him being a pedo cause he looks creepy are one thing and a detailed description of how he systematically abused his victims in the same way he did you is another. Most normal people aren't spending their afternoons going back and deeply reevaluating each one of their childhood memories to see which ones register as sexual assault now that they understand what sex is, just for the hell of it.

also

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

fair

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Not Harrison, it doesn't count as murder if only end up killing yourself

(yes i'm aware he was in the military and killed dudes, shut up)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

My (27m) wife (25f, together 8 years, married 6) refuses to leave our kids (6f and 3m) anywhere with an unrelated man, and it is starting to cause problems with my sister and her husband (30s, together 7 years, married 3)

Every couple I know who got married when one of them were younger than 21 is weird as gently caress.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My mom absolutely believes the Clintons murdered 90 or so people. She also feels that the dude in Colorado that killed his wife and two daughters was sick of his bitchy wife and that she deserved it. Now apparently she thinks he killed the wife but his mistress killed the childredn, even though he confessed to it and specifically told police how he did it.

Youtube conspiracy videos rot brains.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

My mom absolutely believes the Clintons murdered 90 or so people. She also feels that the dude in Colorado that killed his wife and two daughters was sick of his bitchy wife and that she deserved it. Now apparently she thinks he killed the wife but his mistress killed the childredn, even though he confessed to it and specifically told police how he did it.

Youtube conspiracy videos rot brains.

Old people spend their days turning their brains into pudding to a degree so much greater than anyone else. I've noticed among my parents' peers, it's like a switch flips when they retire and their days become nothing but Fox News and Facebook. Suddenly they live in this Bizarro World and there's no arguing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Religious upbringings are abuse, not even joking a little bit. This “don’t let someone around the opposite gender unsupervised” crap is Mike Pence poo poo, it’s not limited to children, and it’s super common in the Bible Belt in particular.