Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

This rules. Young people are so much sharper and more alert than that the Fox News boomer chud world, and a decade of passing off millennials as lazy entitled sheep has left them completely unprepared for having their mediocrity thrown back at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

pseudanonymous posted:

I doubt Cain has any actual ideology, whoever owns him at the moment will dictate his policy. He was previously owned by business, which wanted inflation kept low. Now he's owned by Trump, he'll do what Trump wants.

If Cain does get to the Fed, then he will outlast Trump. He can't be fired before his term ends (except for cause like if he becomes a felon or something). He'll pretty much be free to vote for whatever policy he wants/believes is correct.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cain is one vote among twelve. And really the committee already skews pretty heavily R anyway. I don't think he could do too much damage even if he sucks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its more they expected(hell even i weirdly expected) Barr to do the right thing.

Dude was all for the Iran Contra pardons so if they thought that they are just as stupid. People are wringing their hands about Trump doing what Bush Sr already did and he got called a noble gentleman when he died.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Radish posted:

Dude was all for the Iran Contra pardons so if they thought that they are just as stupid. People are wringing their hands about Trump doing what Bush Sr already did and he got called a noble gentleman when he died.

I thought they called him David Coppafeel before he died?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zophar posted:

This rules. Young people are so much sharper and more alert than that the Fox News boomer chud world, and a decade of passing off millennials as lazy entitled sheep has left them completely unprepared for having their mediocrity thrown back at them.

It's pretty crazy how consistently this happens. The younger generations are radically more informed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ReidRansom posted:

Cain is one vote among twelve. And really the committee already skews pretty heavily R anyway. I don't think he could do too much damage even if he sucks.

Skewed R because they're rich and white, but also they're largely insulated from the idiocy of Trump so they just ignore him.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"But how do we pay for it?"
"millions will die, I support whatever is needed"
"so you want to raise taxes?"
"If that's needed."
"But how do we pay for it???"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1113918310419185671

Wait, he didn't talk to Don Jr either? :what:

quote:

An administration official expressed some frustration with Democratic demands to see as much of the Mueller report as possible. The official complained that the report should not reveal information that is embarrassing about the President if he's not being accused by the special counsel of committing any crimes. That official called that possibility "sh***y."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spun Dog posted:

I thought they called him David Coppafeel before he died?

Nah that was his name for himself.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

ReidRansom posted:

It helps that generally everyone wants the same thing*, so partisanship isn't really a factor.

*there's a relatively esoteric argument you can make that a higher inflation rate would be better for the poor especially if they're 'student debt' poor, but higher inflation would also hurt those on fixed incomes, and uncertainties in general are burdened by consumers, so...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's like how everyone is going to act on the National Infrastructure and Displacement Commission in 30 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Yeah, as much as we roll our eyes at Cain, the last guy Trump nominated was arguably worse. There's a decent chance that Cain might turn out to be not terrible and Trump regrets appointing him.

Jerome Powell was bad? I would have preferred Yellen stay, but Powell has done an alright job. It looks like he caved to Trump, but in reality Trump slowed the economy down on his own with his trade wars and tweets so the Fed didn't need to do anymore rate hikes.

I don't think Trump 'gets' government appointments. Even a Cabinet official who serves at the pleasure of the President can't be fired easily or without ramifications. Trump thinks he can appoint people who will be there long after he's gone and that they'll still do his bidding. If they are ideologically the same, sure. But he's just run out of that pool of sycophants.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1113921457011216385?s=20

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1113919962995884033

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jerome Powell was bad? I would have preferred Yellen stay, but Powell has done an alright job. It looks like he caved to Trump, but in reality Trump slowed the economy down on his own with his trade wars and tweets so the Fed didn't need to do anymore rate hikes.

I don't think Trump 'gets' government appointments. Even a Cabinet official who serves at the pleasure of the President can't be fired easily or without ramifications. Trump thinks he can appoint people who will be there long after he's gone and that they'll still do his bidding. If they are ideologically the same, sure. But he's just run out of that pool of sycophants.

I don't think he cares at all about what happens when he's gone. He's said so before. And he has no ideology other than himself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is such a stupid, lovely, poorly written story.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Believe it when I see it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I laughed.

For those who don't know, California's proposition 65 requires basically any establishment to post this warning on any building or object that might contain hazardous materials. You see this warning on literally every building because the warning is required if the building contains hazardous materials, even if it's poo poo that a normal person would never come close to touching like insulation or whatever. It's the most worthless warning in existence.

When LITERALLY EVERYTHING gives you cancer, does anything truly give you cancer? Or is the whole world just cancer?

Signed, a CA resident.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tayter Swift posted:

Believe it when I see it.

I saw that Chelsea Manning got moved out of solitary today (into normal jail), so something might be happening for all we know

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1113887170652192769

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

good

if it happens

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't cock tease me mate I want to see him booted out and face punishment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

I saw that Chelsea Manning got moved out of solitary today (into normal jail), so something might be happening for all we know

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1113887170652192769

even better! sort of!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I laughed.

For those who don't know, California's proposition 65 requires basically any establishment to post this warning on any building or object that might contain hazardous materials. You see this warning on literally every building because the warning is required if the building contains hazardous materials, even if it's poo poo that a normal person would never come close to touching like insulation or whatever. It's the most worthless warning in existence.

Don't fall for propaganda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_California_Proposition_65

quote:

In the law's first 10 years of operation, emissions of its listed chemicals into the air were reduced much more in California (~85%) than in the rest of the U.S.(~50%), as tracked by the U.S. Toxics Release Inventory.[14] California's air emissions during the same period of other toxic chemicals, also tracked by TRI but not on the Proposition 65 list, declined by only the national average,[15] strongly indicating that Proposition 65 was the cause of the difference.

There's a bunch more listed in there.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lemming posted:

Yeah but the "Prop 65 warning stickers affixed to literally every window of every building in literally the entire state" thing is still stupid as almighty gently caress. A stupid, poorly planned law can still end up doing some good things. Doesn't mean we shouldn't call out the stupid parts.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

as funny as cain is this is like the first trump appointment that actually makes sense so that's at least a breath of fresh air

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah but the "Prop 65 warning stickers affixed to literally every window of every building in literally the entire state" thing is still stupid as almighty gently caress. A stupid, poorly planned law can still end up doing some good things. Doesn't mean we shouldn't call out the stupid parts.

There's a difference between saying something is overzealous and saying it's worthless

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Lemming posted:

Propaganda? I live there, and I don't think I have literally ever seen anyone actually advocate for repealing prop 65. I'm just going off what I see.

Prop 65 consists of more than just the worthless warnings, and those other parts are unquestionably good. The warnings are still worthless.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1113912138106572806

scorched

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

But who will care for Embassy Cat??

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

It's not dumb, it worked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yesh posted:

But who will care for Embassy Cat??

the cat got adopted out in November, in part because he couldn't be bothered to feed it and clean its litter so the duty devolved on some hapless diplomat

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Lemming posted:

The authority cited there for the success of Prop 65 is apparently a piece written by the author of Prop 65.

I'm unfamiliar with the data, but given the time period, I'd be more inclined to look to the secondary effects of the drastic measures required to handle California's nonattaining CAA areas for criteria pollutants.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Propaganda? I live there, and I don't think I have literally ever seen anyone actually advocate for repealing prop 65. I'm just going off what I see.

Prop 65 consists of more than just the worthless warnings, and those other parts are unquestionably good. The warnings are still worthless.

quote:

Proposition 65 has caused large numbers of consumer products to be reformulated to remove toxic ingredients, as documented in settlements of enforcement actions.[12] The law's author has noted that many more product reformulations have taken place "invisibly," because of Proposition 65's incentive to reduce toxic exposures in advance of enforcement, and that product reformulations have benefitted consumers nationwide, not just in California.[13]

The law has been also been criticized for causing "over-warning"[23] or "meaningless warnings,"[24] [25][26]and this risk has been recognized by a California court.[20][27]There is no penalty for posting an unnecessary warning sign,[28] and to the extent that warnings are vague or overused, they may not communicate much information to the end user.[23]The law's principal author notes that in practice, businesses have overwhelmingly chosen to reduce or eliminate their toxic exposures, rather than giving warnings about them, due to market forces. [29]

You're basically arguing that your umbrella is worthless because you're dry, ignoring the fact that it's raining.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lemming posted:

There's a difference between saying something is overzealous and saying it's worthless

Let me just close this discussion on the law's current stupid parts thusly:

*mic drop*

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Mush brain only rememberss that Token has a pizza store, hope he still has it.

Also that one time he used an anime song because Bannon used to watch so much digimon.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"hours to days" is a bullshit timescale of bullshit.
This is just Wikileaks crying about persecution as brave truth tellers and signal boosting a scandal against people they hate.

Rex-Goliath posted:

as funny as cain is this is like the first trump appointment that actually makes sense so that's at least a breath of fresh air
trump is running out of people he knows who will work for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god i hope so.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Prop 65 is a challenging one for business. I work at a company that uses chemicals, is focused on sustainability and being ECO friendly, so I deal with that regulation frequently. It's useful if harsh at times. For us if there is a chemical of concern that can be included on Prop 65 that has a risk we evaluate formulating out of that chemical and finding an alternative. Now can it be stated it goes overboard? Yeah it can, but there is a benefit to it too. It's also lead to conversations about transparency of what's in a product, the right to know what's in there and the right to understand what that is

Conversely Canada has extremely difficult regulation that does not allow for new formulation easily as in some cases they wanted people to put something like hep B (I forget what it was) on someone's skin and then use a product to fix it. On the one hand I can get being that extreme to not allow for grift on the other hand it does make things very difficult as to who would volunteer to put themselves at risk to prove. If you're not grandfathered up there a lot companies can now have difficulty doing new business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

"hours to days" is a bullshit timescale of bullshit.
This is just Wikileaks crying about persecution as brave truth tellers and signal boosting a scandal against people they hate.

trump is running out of people he knows who will work for him.

I would have loved being appointed to the Fed even if it came from Donald Trump :(