Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
I'm going to recommend Cult Sim too. Plays well on mobile. Just don't start a 'quick round' in bed before you want to sleep - you'll lose a couple of hours before you realise what the gently caress any of the cards mean. I also agree with the frequent pausing advice given here. Makes a huge difference in being able to make proper tactical decisions.

It really is fun just stumbling through this game and figuring out what is what. I'd go as far as to say that the progression in understanding the game is kind of the point of it. That being said if you want a small clue read on:

One thing I learned was if you study cards like health, passion and reason you get a sub-component of that (vitality, glimmer and whatever the reason one is called). After you get 2 of these sub components you can then study those together to get a 'lesson learned' card to upgrade the corresponding skill.

Sockmafia fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

John Lee posted:

They're not similar games at all, despite them both being card games about cultists. Cultist simulator is open; you can do whatever you want with your cards at pretty much any time, no turns, but various actions have cooldowns and such, or take up a slot for a given amount of time.

I meant is it the same developers/designers

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cultist Simulator, how in the poo poo do I generate funds? Everything I do for work just gives me poo poo like glimmers and vitality, which is not helping the whole starving thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Try improving yourself, and then pay your way with your improved skills.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jabor posted:

Try improving yourself, and then pay your way with your improved skills.

This was super unhelpful, but luckily I figured out how to get a job.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'll make sense in hindsight.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

norp posted:

Ah, sorry. Nope, not even a little.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I seem to keep hitting a plateau where despair drags me down and I can't keep up with contentment while also trying to figure out how to get my cultists to accomplish anything whatsoever.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I was hoping to use Despair for something character building.
Like be a sickly depairing wretch of a cult leader but it doesn't seem to have an upside, or I haven't discovered it yet.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dungeon Warfare 2 is out.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The newest Sega Forever thing is After Burner Climax, after a few years of being out of the store due to the Tomcat license kicking out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I seem to keep hitting a plateau where despair drags me down and I can't keep up with contentment

So it's a simulation of my life?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The True Skate people have a new game out called True Surf, which as you might guess is a surfing game. It seems quite chill, though it pulls real world data so don't expect Point Break style killer waves.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am loving Cultist Simulator but it definitely is pretty goddamn frustrating trying to figure out how to get the various cards I need (Contentment, for one) using the stuff I have. I guess the whole thing is that sometimes you have timers going so you just can't get some cards some times when you really need it but I am also hitting an eventual death spiral once I start getting the Despair cards because I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It makes me want to look up a wiki to just figure it out but I know that'd gently caress with a lot of this game's charm so I just keep mashing cards into slots until I get something beneficial.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

I am loving Cultist Simulator but it definitely is pretty goddamn frustrating trying to figure out how to get the various cards I need (Contentment, for one) using the stuff I have. I guess the whole thing is that sometimes you have timers going so you just can't get some cards some times when you really need it but I am also hitting an eventual death spiral once I start getting the Despair cards because I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It makes me want to look up a wiki to just figure it out but I know that'd gently caress with a lot of this game's charm so I just keep mashing cards into slots until I get something beneficial.

I've discovered that dreaming with funds is a guaranteed contentment (but starts getting weird if you do it alot), and dreaming with health is a decent chance of one. I've started just dreaming of health whenever I'm not dreaming of something else and I have a couple health cards banked; staying ahead of despair seems alot easier than trying to catch up. I buy some sleeping pills if things look dire.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I had high hopes but it isn't for me. The "try poo poo until it works" mechanic isn't my thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've discovered that dreaming with funds is a guaranteed contentment (but starts getting weird if you do it alot), and dreaming with health is a decent chance of one. I've started just dreaming of health whenever I'm not dreaming of something else and I have a couple health cards banked; staying ahead of despair seems alot easier than trying to catch up. I buy some sleeping pills if things look dire.

Health is another thing altogether, I'm finding myself running out of health a lot and have no idea how to gain some back. I know that for the most part it seems like Work gets you money (although the daily upkeep usually takes it away right away if I'm low) but can never figure out how to gain health back when I'm sick.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

explosivo posted:

Health is another thing altogether, I'm finding myself running out of health a lot and have no idea how to gain some back. I know that for the most part it seems like Work gets you money (although the daily upkeep usually takes it away right away if I'm low) but can never figure out how to gain health back when I'm sick.

Dream with An Affliction

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Does Cultist Simulator have persisting elements, or are you starting fresh between runs?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morpheus posted:

Does Cultist Simulator have persisting elements, or are you starting fresh between runs?

No persistence as far as I can tell, every game seems to be a new run from scratch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

Dream with an affliction and pay funds or vitality to get the health back. You also know you can build up extra health (and passion and reason), yes?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
How are the controls of cultist Sim on mobile vs pc?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Knowlue posted:

How are the controls of cultist Sim on mobile vs pc?

Haven't played on PC, but if you told me that the game was designed for touch controls I would believe you. It's great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I downloaded that Among Us game because it sounded fun so if anyone wants to get a game going I would be interested

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Thumper is $2.99 right now. Great price.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Pixel puzzle is now out in Europe if anyone was put off by sideloading

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you need contentment, explore with health until you find the cabaret. It exchanges 30s and 1 money for contentment and sometimes other stuff about 70%of the time.

My investigator had a fun time founding 2 cults and ruining all his rivals that got uppity by sending them to jail. Game owns.

Also if you desperately need a job, work with reason and you should be offered a job at a firm.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

If you need contentment, explore with health until you find the cabaret. It exchanges 30s and 1 money for contentment and sometimes other stuff about 70%of the time.

My investigator had a fun time founding 2 cults and ruining all his rivals that got uppity by sending them to jail. Game owns.

Also if you desperately need a job, work with reason and you should be offered a job at a firm.

Dreaming with Funds generates Contentment too, and I've yet to see ill effects. You can also paint by working with Passion using Restlessness as your inspiration before it turns into dread.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Found another Dungeon Raid game but with some persistent elements: God of Dungeons. Definitely has some engrish sprinkled in but it's definitely a tough game. Has some challenges and light pvp leaderboard stuff. Check it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

cage-free egghead posted:

Found another Dungeon Raid game but with some persistent elements: God of Dungeons. Definitely has some engrish sprinkled in but it's definitely a tough game. Has some challenges and light pvp leaderboard stuff. Check it.

It's okay, it gets the main flow of the game well enough, but aside from the obvious gacha issue you don't earn skills as you go, everything is fixed from the start, which really takes the wind out of the Dungeon Raid sails.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's okay, it gets the main flow of the game well enough, but aside from the obvious gacha issue you don't earn skills as you go, everything is fixed from the start, which really takes the wind out of the Dungeon Raid sails.

Not to mention that the game stutters every time it loads a new banner ad, which has caused me to miss movies a number of times already.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The state of the play store is astoundingly depressing. Unlike steam I have no way to filter the mountain of worthless garbage out, and suspect it would be barren if I did.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Not to mention that the game stutters every time it loads a new banner ad, which has caused me to miss movies a number of times already.

Get yourself adguard, Blokada or a pihole. Rarely if ever get ads in games. This one just lets me get modt rewards except a respawn.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does dungeon raid still, like, exist?

edit: I apparently asked the exact same thing last year do I guess that's where my priorities lie

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 7, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mrkillboy posted:

The True Skate people have a new game out called True Surf, which as you might guess is a surfing game. It seems quite chill, though it pulls real world data so don't expect Point Break style killer waves.

This is actually pretty fun, but it does make me realize I have no idea what makes a good surf and a bad surf. I just kinda move up and down until I get a good score :shrug:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

explosivo posted:

This is actually pretty fun, but it does make me realize I have no idea what makes a good surf and a bad surf. I just kinda move up and down until I get a good score :shrug:

I found this guide somewhat useful since the game is doesn't really explain how scoring works (to people unfamiliar with the sport like me at least).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

norp posted:

Cultist Simulator is made by Failbetter, the people behind Fallen London, Sunless Sea, etc

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Cultist Simulator is made by Failbetter, the people behind Fallen London, Sunless Sea, etc

Cultist Simulator is made by Weather Factory, a studio co-founded by Alexis Kennedy (Who was at Failbetter and the man behind Fallen London and parts of Sunless Sea).

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Thanks! Been waiting for this for a while. Instant buy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mr_Chicken posted:

Cultist Simulator is made by Weather Factory, a studio co-founded by Alexis Kennedy (Who was at Failbetter and the man behind Fallen London and parts of Sunless Sea).

Painting seems like a lot of player work. Like, you have to feed in multiple actions and 3-4 cards and it creates drat near a dozen cards of clutter.

I need some automation or minor scripting

I have yet to complete my first rite.