Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
You can click the button on screen and hammer keys to finish it in the first third of the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Thundarr posted:

That Tidal Wave 10 seconds into the fight is still one of the all time great FFXIV troll moves though.

Using surecast on this so a few people think its safe and stand next to you is funny every time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BRD seems like it would be a lot of fun on controller

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Asimo posted:

People complain about FFXIV's patch pacing, but I'll definitely take 1-2 new dungeons, a new raid, and whatever side content predictably and reliably every 4-5 months than WoW's "wait a year to release stuff promised on the expansion box, maybe a new raid every six months".

I long for the days when wow got mid-expansion dungeons that weren't overtuned mythic only slogs that begrudgingly got downgraded after much winging on the part of the devs.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Shinryuu is a little easier imo once you realize the cast bars for the mechanics are down in the enmity list and not next to the his health bar. It’s still my least favorite ex primal of 4.0 just because it takes so long to complete at the intended item level.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

lol just lol if you don't drag your hand back across the keyboard like a loving ape

yeah but that's what I do normally so I should do something different for the special mechanic

Realtalk:

So I just started using ACT and there's a lot of stuff here, but first:

Is there any way to increase the font size of the legend list on the right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I server transfer, does all the stuff in my housing warehouse or whatever it's called come across too, or do I have to stuff anything I care about into a retainer before I hit the button?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nessus posted:

If I server transfer, does all the stuff in my housing warehouse or whatever it's called come across too, or do I have to stuff anything I care about into a retainer before I hit the button?

The latter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just in time for 5.0

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Omega did nothing wrong.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Phone posted:

Just in time for 5.0

yoshi p let me turn off gauss barrel for everyone and not just myself :negative:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Impermanent posted:

You like to grind or be challenged but you don't want to form a static

Or your static is okay with killing 1 or 2 bosses and kinda futzing around because gently caress it. A static is still only 8 people, it’s not nearly as stressful as wow raid groups are to manage.

There’s a pretty wide gulf between players who beat doom train savage and ones who beat god kefka.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

yoshi p let me turn off gauss barrel for everyone and not just myself :negative:

how do you turn off gauss barrel for yourself?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

how do you turn off gauss barrel for yourself?

/gbarrel

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that it's literally only for yourself, other people still see it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Which is absurd. I like to use smol gun from PvP that just looks like a glock but the gauss barrel is as big as the entire gun. Ugh.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

It's not bad, tbh. SAM otoh... :suicide:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It's fine.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Phone posted:

Just in time for 5.0

There's still time to get 12 down

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Or your static is okay with killing 1 or 2 bosses and kinda futzing around because gently caress it. A static is still only 8 people, it’s not nearly as stressful as wow raid groups are to manage.

There’s a pretty wide gulf between players who beat doom train savage and ones who beat god kefka.

My static is basically midcore. We cleared all the savages this expansion but spent months getting there. The hardcore ones are the people that take a week off work when a raid tier drops and mainline it until it's beat :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Some goon said there was a way to see who was behind the retainers on the MB in the thread earlier. Were they full of poo poo, or if not, how does one do that?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Impermanent posted:

You like to grind or be challenged but you don't want to form a static

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Neither of these is what the raiding community calls midcore. This is casual raiding.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Some goon said there was a way to see who was behind the retainers on the MB in the thread earlier. Were they full of poo poo, or if not, how does one do that?

I'm 99% sure they were talking about seeing who crafted something and confusing it with who is selling something

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah from recruiting I midcore seems to be raiding at least 3x a week and aiming for a clear in at most 2ish months

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my anxiety's showing again so I'll just ask. Getting close to 70 on DRK and I'd like to keep playing it a while, but how do you get past being a blue DPS (:v:) in content you've never seen before? I still haven't done Orbonne Monastery or any of Omega from 5 on, and thinking about wandering into those blind with a blue icon makes me :yikes:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you tell people its your first time some hero will probably lay out the mechanics for you

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

my anxiety's showing again so I'll just ask. Getting close to 70 on DRK and I'd like to keep playing it a while, but how do you get past being a blue DPS (:v:) in content you've never seen before? I still haven't done Orbonne Monastery or any of Omega from 5 on, and thinking about wandering into those blind with a blue icon makes me :yikes:

To be honest, there are a whole lot of 24 man raids I've been in where none of the three tanks know what they're doing or have any interest in tanking successfully so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you go in and neither of the other tanks seem interested in being MT, just turn on your tank stance and give it a shot. If you get nuked by something that you didn't see coming and nobody bothered to explain, let the other guys deal with picking hate back up.

If you want to run Omega you should at least be familiar with how tank swaps work if you aren't already, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are no tank swaps in normal mode

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ciaphas posted:

Just tell people its your first time tanking it and if there's anything to look out for. Or realize that the worst case scenario is that the party wipes and everybody loses like five minutes of their time, tops. That one manbaby might throw a fit but the vast majority of people are pretty chill and don't mind a little bit of learning pains in normal duties.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Here’s the secret to being a tank - 90% of content involves you standing in place and nothing else. Maybe hitting a cooldown when you see a castbar that says “big hit” in fancy words.

Additionally, ff14 has a bunch of mechanics that act as training wheels. If you keep tank stance on, you will never have to worry about enmity. This lets you get used to watching the boss castbar for mechanics and tank busters.

The main thing is to just practice being aware of the fight itself and then improving your play one step at a time after that. It’s way easier than you think it is I assure you. Soon you’ll be getting angry at lazy tanks when playing dps because you know how easy it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phone posted:

For reference when I start tanking normal mode trials: are there usually unspoken rules for which tank does the actual tanking and which one just pretends to be DPS and/or picks up adds? I've never actually noticed tanks in party chat working it out when I've done normal trials as a healer or DPS so it looks from the outside like there's just this unspoken understanding that happens, or maybe it's just whichever one grabs the boss first.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's usually whoever steps up first.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

For reference when I start tanking normal mode trials: are there usually unspoken rules for which tank does the actual tanking and which one just pretends to be DPS and/or picks up adds? I've never actually noticed tanks in party chat working it out when I've done normal trials as a healer or DPS so it looks from the outside like there's just this unspoken understanding that happens, or maybe it's just whichever one grabs the boss first.

It is usually whoever steps in first, but in content sync'd to 50, it's best to let a PLD MT if there is one, because they don't have their DPS combo at that point, so they're going to be building significant threat even in Sword Oath, and it makes it harder for the MT to drop their threat stance if they want to (not so much an issue for WAR at 50, but for DRK, more so). In 60-70 content, it's usually more optimal to have a WAR or DRK MT, but realistically, it's not that big of a difference either way.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ciaphas posted:

For normals, just look up the fight and see what tank buster ability it has and that's almost the only mechanic you have to deal with. There is going to be a few sprinkles here and there with extra poo poo but it's not going to be something crazy. The rest is going to come with experience. If you die, you die. If you get kicked, jump back in the saddle and try again. That's the only way to learn and yes, it's on everyone else time but that's not your problem. But going in with at least some knowledge, be it on one or two of the abilities or what seems like to you a significant fight mechanic will serve you and the group much better than going in cold.

As said, if you get some rear end in a top hat that bitches about you being new, point out that you are rich with gil due to your instant tank queue's + adventurer in need rewards and could buy and sell his whole family into slavery if you wanted.

It's honestly not as annoying as you might think doing trials first time. The dungeon speedrunner but you got to be in DPS stance 99.9% of the time crowd is far worse. The real anxiety comes when content is new. People are way on edge then. When it was current content, it was a common thing to have some jackoff vote abandon on Shinryu one wipe in and people got it in their heads it was better to just fish for the perfect roulette group than tough it out.

Harrow posted:

For most people, it's literally mind games and a silent mental tug of war going on between the two tanks to see who swaps to tank stance and charges in first. The rest falls into place. Imagine every time you zone into a trial, a battle is taking place that looks like the scene from "Big Trouble In Little China" where Lo Pan and Egg Shen are having the mental duel and it looks like they're smashing controllers. Or this for refrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5Oc4kb23k

Givin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 5, 2019

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Harrow posted:

If you don't feel like main tanking, put on your dps stance and stand your ground when you load in.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Phone posted:

there's a tank swap in A5N :goonsay:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you don't feel like main tanking, put on your dps stance and stand your ground when you load in.

Tanking duty finder content at 70 is basically a game of chicken for which tank will put on their tank stance first.

Every once in a while you'll get one that's gung-ho about tanking, but generally, if you really don't want to tank, you won't have to (on bosses at least, there are some trash pulls that need all the tanks).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

WAR > DRK > PLD is ideal and is a rule I try to follow when I queue as one of those jobs, otherwise if someone comes in on and stays in tank stance they can take it. Otherwise it's a game of chicken and one will eventually give in.

If you have anxiety queuing into places blind, there are usually video guides up seemingly minutes after content is released. Occasionally text ones too. Skim it for tank busters or group mechanics. Otherwise it's all the same poo poo, different day as far as mechanics go.

Honestly you could ask here and get a dozen encounter overviews in a few minutes as well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibblebibble posted:

If it helps, on kb/m you can press literally any button and it'll count to the buttonmash.

Ciaphas posted:

lol just lol if you don't drag your hand back across the keyboard like a loving ape

That's what gets you in poo poo like "oh gently caress, I hit enter, and now all my buttonmashing has gone to the chatbox instead".

Just loving drum ASDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the annoying thing about actually wanting to tank alliance raids is that's the only queue that's longer for tanks and i will always get two other idiot tanks sitting in tank stance fighting over aggro