Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Relentless posted:

You can shoot that laser once a second for 40+ days straight for the cost of one Mark 48 Torpedo.
That's cute. Let me know what damage that laser's done to the CVBG 15km away and 500m above you, because you're in a SSN. ADCAP's exist for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

This is like saying I can fire a .22 rifle millions of times for the price of a Mk48. So what? The Mk48 is for killing things that a .22 can't do anything about. If you have an enemy ship to kill that laser's not doing the job.
Hey now I bet it burns sensors real good. As long as they're not over the horizon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it meant to come down that hard? :stare:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Growing up in a fairly urban residential area we had a neighbour with a chainsaw and a country heart. Any time a tree fell anywhere in the neighbourhood there would only be small amounts of sawdust left as evidence before the city crew arrived. He had a wood stove for heating and a massive wood shed in his back yard that always hungered for more. He eventually built up a network of informants all throughout the city who would inform him of any downed trees and he'd rush out and take care of them. The people calling it in liked it because he got rid of them so fast, and he just wanted that sweet wood.

Of course sometimes these trees were only half fallen over and really should have been taken care of professionally, but he was a helicopter logging pilot and had tons of forestry experience on the ground as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToxicFrog posted:

It looks like they're using the boop cradle because the nose wheel didn't come down, so that's not a typical landing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's meant to come down on landing gear.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Growing up in a fairly urban residential area we had a neighbour with a chainsaw and a country heart. Any time a tree fell anywhere in the neighbourhood there would only be small amounts of sawdust left as evidence before the city crew arrived. He had a wood stove for heating and a massive wood shed in his back yard that always hungered for more. He eventually built up a network of informants all throughout the city who would inform him of any downed trees and he'd rush out and take care of them. The people calling it in liked it because he got rid of them so fast, and he just wanted that sweet wood.

Of course sometimes these trees were only half fallen over and really should have been taken care of professionally, but he was a helicopter logging pilot and had tons of forestry experience on the ground as well.

I know a guy like that, too. There must be some kind of brotherhood of vigilante tree clear-ers. My guy swears he does it because his name is Woody. Who am I to argue.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ToxicFrog posted:

To elaborate on the other answers, because the nose landing gear hasn’t deployed the pilot needs to line up with that support, so as soon as they get the nose in the right position they’re dropping it down quickly.

And I imagine those landing gears are built to take a lot of punishment anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is a harrier pilot in the A/T aviation thread who could probably tell you all about the emergency procedures.

One neat thing I learned from him is that the harrier is not meant to land horizontally like a normal airplane. If the thrust vector system fails, you just do a slow pass near a friendly ship or air base and eject.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 4, 2019

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

For contrast:
Some Marines thought it would better for their harrier to land on a bunch of mattresses instead of a belly landing. It wasn't.

Bedtime for a Jump Jet posted:

A USMC TAV-8B Harrier from VMAT-203 suffered a landing gear malfunction when trying to return to MCAS Cherry Point. The Marine aviator realizing his gear failed to extend naturally referred to SOP that dictated activating the backup safety nitrogen bottle to blow the gear down.

Unfortunately for the pilot and plane, when communicating the issue over the radio, a higher ranking officer ordered him not to follow standard operating procedures, and instead had a stack of strapped mattresses placed in the centre of the runway.

Much to the surprise of the Officer that devised the imaginative contingency plan...when the 23,000lb fighter jet blowing down over 20,000 pounds of vectored thrust from its Pegasus engines settled down on its bed, the landing mattresses immediately responded with a critical un-contained failure and exploded in a shower of metal springs, fabric and coils that were quickly ingested through the spinning engine turbine blades.

Although the aircraft was extensively damaged, the pilot was able to climb out of bed without injury.

When ground crews jacked up the Harrier Jump Jet, they we able to blow the gear down with no problems. This is when the story takes an even stranger turn. Once the jet was placed in the hangar, relatively undamaged structurally speaking, an EZ-go golf cart came flying into the hangar and smashed directly into the jet, causing some D-level repair damage. It turns out that the cart operator was huffing keyboard cleaner shortly before making his parts run in the EZ-go. He got dizzy, lost consciousness and the cart, now driverless, turned directly into the hangar at full speed through a gap in the hangar doors and smashed into the parked Jump Jet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

One neat thing I learned from him is that the harrier is not rated to land horizontally like a normal airplane. If the thrust vector system fails, you just do a slow pass near a friendly ship or air base and eject.

Harriers land horizontally like a normal airplane all the time. VTOL has far stricter weight limitations than conventional takeoff/landing, if they could only land VTOL they’d have to jettison most of their fuel and ordnance every single time.

https://youtu.be/_cxATLtHZZA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe you can do that if the thrust vector system fails in perfectly level flight mode but if it's stuck at a weird angle I could see the situation being unrecoverable.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I'm the harrier pilot. Our standard roll-on landing calls for 60 degrees of thrust vectoring on final. We land at about 90 knots. If we have to do a zero-nozzles landing we land at like 150 knots. We then need a ton of runway because our brakes are tiny and only exist on the single main landing gear. It's designed to slow down then land, not land and slow down.

Re: the ejection if the nozzle drive fails at the ship--yeah we'd have to but I've literally never heard of it happening, it's a very robust system.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

yeah that thing isn't jack poo poo i wouldn't worry about it. lol having to get a permit every time you cut a tree though what a loving racket....

Permits protect the community from idiots. You gotta permit for that shitpost?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Here’s a fun Harrier not-all-that-conventional landing:

https://youtu.be/pfuw0PXlRn0

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Platystemon posted:

Surely it’s possible to evict the parked cars for half a day.

You can, but that also requires a permit and costs money.

Splicer posted:

Say up a camera for humour and also rental insurance.

This is not a joke.

This might actually be motivation to get a motion-activated security camera of sorts, yeah. The landlord's habit is to just show up and start doing stuff at random times. (Not inside the units, but definitely around the space.)

yeah that thing isn't jack poo poo i wouldn't worry about it. lol having to get a permit every time you cut a tree though what a loving racket....

The bigger trunk is about a foot in diameter at the base.

if anything permits like those are for environmental purposes or states trying to keep track on urban greens, not safety oriented. but again, my municipality just does that on their own without passing the cost to arborists

Yes, it's exactly this -- the permits are because the City got sick of rich assholes buying houses and then cutting down every tree on them. The City also requires an arborist to certify that a tree is a structural danger to a building before they'll allow it to be cut down. The arborist's quote included the permit/certificate (which was only around $300), and then around $1800 for safely cutting down the tree.

As for the safety aspect, I'm sure, like my landlord, that you know better than the arborist who actually went and looked at the tree before creating that quote.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

you can't spell arborist without boris you commie bastard

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The City also requires an arborist to certify that a tree is a structural danger to a building before they'll allow it to be cut down.

I thought we had already established that little weak pissy trees can't damage no structures.

As for the safety aspect, I'm sure, like my landlord, that you know better than the arborist who actually went and looked at the tree before creating that quote.

Have you considered the tree mafia?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

deported to Canada posted:

I thought we had already established that little weak pissy trees can't damage no structures.

No one was willing to step up and put their car & house on the line to test this hypothesis, so it remains unestablished.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

No one was willing to step up and put their car & house on the line to test this hypothesis, so it remains unestablished.

This might actually be motivation to get a motion-activated security camera of sorts.

May I suggest an idea for an experiment. For science...

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

This surely can’t be a real advertisement right?

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

xergm posted:

For contrast:
Some Marines thought it would better for their harrier to land on a bunch of mattresses instead of a belly landing. It wasn't.

This had me bust out laughing at work. Thanks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Piggy Smalls posted:

This surely can’t be a real advertisement right?

It is

Not a current one, but it is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am pretty sure it's a photoshop from waaaaaay back that has just been passed around so much that people think it must be real.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

I am pretty sure it's a photoshop from waaaaaay back that has just been passed around so much that people think it must be real.

It's real. Even won a CRESTA award in 2002

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

More tree cutting chat
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv0JP3uAC9r/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1c6z1vtc1az5f
This time with positive results.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Illegal chemical storage warehouse burns down. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-05/campbellfield-factory-fire-sends-smoke-over-melbournes-north/10973650

I had errands to do today but now I'm stuck indoors with my cats.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/melbourne-express-friday-april-5-2019-20190404-p51aq0.html

quote:

We can report the factory that's gone up in flames is listed to Bradbury Industrial Services, which describes itself on its website as a "trusted, EPA licensed provider for safe disposal of hazardous goods".

The EPA suspended the company's licence last month after it found Bradbury was storing more waste than permitted, storage containers were not adequately labelled and were handled outside an adequately bunded area.

On March 21, EPA said Bradbury had not satisfied its concerns, and suspended its licence.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

This is beautiful, I wish it had sound.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm an incredible cynic, but the first thing I thought of when I heard "toxic waste disposal company had its license suspended and then goes up in flames" was "oh yeah they torched it to get ahead of any investigation".

poo poo's on fire. Sorry about your day :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found a bunch of old Dutch safety posters, here are some useful ones for woodworkers:
"The safety cap was set too high"

"Never work without the safety"

"Don't wear a ring while you work"

"Use a piece of wood make the last push"

"When you leave the workshop... Everything alright? Think about safety!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want to see a modern one with the ring finger cut off. Caption: Not following safety procedures is the real shocker.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Found a bunch of old Dutch safety posters, here are some useful ones for woodworkers:
"The safety cap was set too high"

"DEKAPSTANTEHOOG" is a pretty good onomatopoeia for the noise you make after you cut your fingers off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This isn't exactly OSHA but it fits into chainsaw chat.

Video Shows Shoplifter Stuffing Chain Saw Down His Pants in Fresno

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
The 11foot8 bridge has a new victim. A tractor trailer, no less! The typical clearance for a trailer like that is 13'6" so this driver was a real rear end in a top hat running the light and under that bridge at full speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxDhgDjVCA

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's 100% arson

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Necrosaro posted:

The 11foot8 bridge has a new victim. A tractor trailer, no less! The typical clearance for a trailer like that is 13'6" so this driver was a real rear end in a top hat running the light and under that bridge at full speed.

I know there are upstream warnings too, but those traffic light warnings are worthless, look how late they come on. They should be like hey you truck holy gently caress slow down you dumb fucker

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Necrosaro posted:

I'm surprised the bridge doesn't have some kind of permanent structural deformation after being hit that many times.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

evil_bunnY posted:

That's 100% arson

:hai:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm surprised the bridge doesn't have some kind of permanent structural deformation after being hit that many times.

There is a nice steel beam protecting it most of the time, taking just a bit off the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

evil_bunnY posted:

That's 100% arson
Did you read the article..?

quote:

Stu, who works as a welder at a business next door, told the ABC he had been told an accident involving a forklift sparked the blaze.

"There was a forklift [which] accidentally pierced a drum which then fell, and obviously a steel drum on concrete, created a spark and with the fumes, one can only assume that it ignited," he said.
Which fits pretty well with this pic of a truck engulfed...

Also...

quote:

In a statement, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) said about 30 people were believed to have escaped the building at 16 Thornycroft Street before firefighters arrived.
You don't do arson with thirty people in the building...

So... No.