Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My favorite clip was the one where the guy is cutting a tree that is very clearly leaning towards the house and he thinks screaming and pointing will magically make it fall the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Now hold on a minute here guys. Follow the logic.

Trees are made of wood.
Wood floats.
Heavy things do not float.
Therefore trees are not heavy.

Of course that tree won't break any windows you muppets. Just try engaging your brains next time before jumping in with your silly opinions.

Edit: Just been reminded that they make boats out of metal. Yeah right mate April 1st was Monday.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Coming this summer: Anybody can cut down a tree. Not everyone can... survive.

From the demented mind of Rob Zombie. *chainsaw noises*

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deported to Canada posted:

Now hold on a minute here guys. Follow the logic.

Trees are made of wood.
Wood floats.
Heavy things do not float.
Therefore trees are not heavy. witches!
FTFY

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

what's the problem here.... oh, i see an arrow... hmm.....ah, the arrow is pointing at a tree! but why... hmm....

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm the obligatory Prometheus reference

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Run UP stupid!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ringu0 posted:

I'm the obligatory Prometheus reference

Classic fencing response

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Renegret posted:

I've posted about this before but a neighbor of mine got his own dumbass killed when he thought exactly that, on a smaller tree that had more clearance around it on all sides. He rented a cherry picker and went up there by himself with a chainsaw, and was rewarded with a giant piece of falling trunk to his skull.

Don't gently caress with trees.

A guy about a mile away from me went up a tree with a chainsaw to trim it, didn't tie himself off. He fell out of the tree from 35 feet and landed on one of the upright poles of a chain link fence and suffered "a fatal penetrating wound".

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A guy about a mile away from me went up a tree with a chainsaw to trim it, didn't tie himself off. He fell out of the tree from 35 feet and landed on one of the upright poles of a chain link fence and suffered "a fatal penetrating wound".

Yeah I think one of the things that doesn't dawn on you until 13 ancient white pines collapse on your cabin all in the same storm, but every lateral branch on a tree is a potential spear, just waiting to dump pine sap into your attic treasures.

A tree is just a giant spear covered in spears growing in other directions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah I think one of the things that doesn't dawn on you until 13 ancient white pines collapse on your cabin all in the same storm, but every lateral branch on a tree is a potential spear, just waiting to dump pine sap into your attic treasures.

A tree is just a giant spear covered in spears growing in other directions.

Pff, if the wind could knock it down, it can't be that dangerous.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/cmbriyN.mp4

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Jeremy Clarkson was right!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I really wish it had sound.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Boogalo posted:

I really wish it had sound.

Stomp!
woosh
PONK!
"Ow, haha, gently caress!"

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Stomp!
woosh
PONK!
"Ow, haha, gently caress!"

It's like I'm there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Pictured: the tree.

Him: "So I got that quote. That's a lot of money."
Me: "Yeah, that's what it takes to do it safely and legally."
Him: "Nah, it'll be fine. I'll come by with my chainsaw and cut it down myself. You'll see. I've done it loads of times. "
Me: :stonklol:

This hasn't happened yet, but I'm planning on not being in the building when and if it does.

We had a huge maple right in the middle of our yard growing up and one year it started dying. Since its branches came near the power lines, the city decided that it was my family's responsibility to cut it down before branches started rotting and falling off. A few days after my parents were notified, a hand-written note showed up in our mailbox: an offer from some power utility tree cutters to do the job under the table. They were ridiculously fast and even tool care of the disposal.

A really tidy operation, but I don't think we found out how they knew to contact us.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Dark One posted:

We had a huge maple right in the middle of our yard growing up and one year it started dying. Since its branches came near the power lines, the city decided that it was my family's responsibility to cut it down before branches started rotting and falling off. A few days after my parents were notified, a hand-written note showed up in our mailbox: an offer from some power utility tree cutters to do the job under the table. They were ridiculously fast and even tool care of the disposal.

A really tidy operation, but I don't think we found out how they knew to contact us.

Tree mafia.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who do you think killed the tree in the first place? loving tree mafia.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

definitely Tree Mafia

if only we had tree law to take care of this

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Pfffft. Ahahahahahah. How naive, believing that tree law breakers would be stopped by more stringent tree law! I chortle, sir. Guffaw. I have spilt my sherry onto my mahogany fireplace, which only burns mummies.

Preposterous!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sweet racket. Pay off a clerk to look up notifications or maybe it was already inside their database. Don't need to buy your equipment, tax free, lump sums, what's not to like? They were fast and cleaned up because they didn't want to get caught moonlighting with company equipment. Pretty good motivator to be professional about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You have to be careful though, because birds live in trees, and bird law is far more nuanced, and requires a far sharper mind to safely navigate.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

You have to be careful though, because birds live in trees, and bird law is far more nuanced, and requires a far sharper mind to safely navigate.

Writes down "law druid" on novel ideas scratchpad

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tree 6 Mafia

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
All this talk of cutting down trees has got me wondering...

Whatever happened to the chainsaw juggler? He was a good friend of mine.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

yeah that thing isn't jack poo poo i wouldn't worry about it. lol having to get a permit every time you cut a tree though what a loving racket....

That’s not what the law or anyone said. Cutting trees between houses is kinda unsafe.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

That’s not what the law or anyone said. Cutting trees between houses is kinda unsafe.

K. Guess I was hallucinating all that tree business I've been in my entire adult life, 95% being urban forestry.

My point was it's an easy tree and the OP shouldn't evacuate his home. Sounds like the guy covered his bases but I still laugh at the prospect of a professional outfit getting permits for each tree, it's just foreign to me.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 4, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nocheez posted:

Tree 6 Mafia

:drat:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kNr354PJs

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nocheez posted:

Tree 6 Mafia

:whatup:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Am I a bad person for laughing at this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

My point was it's an easy tree and the OP shouldn't evacuate his home. Sounds like the guy covered his bases but I still laugh at the prospect of a professional outfit getting permits for each tree, it's just foreign to me.
Here it's a permit for any tree within 100' of a utility. Because assholes kept loving up power lines.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/aEOk5o9.mp4
Boop landing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Making Hydrazine Sulfate from Urea and Bleach

Well, I mean, I guess, if you have to, maybe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Looks like a category 5 storm in a teapot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Am I a bad person for laughing at this?

I for one am insanely jealous of their 360° wave pool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

definitely Tree Mafia

if only we had tree law to take care of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Dark One posted:

My Dad was a tree trimmer for years whose company was contracted out to the power company in the area and he used to do jobs like this all the time. People would just come up to him while he was trimming power lines and be like "so...I have this tree I need to have taken down" and he'd give them a cash quote and would show up on the weekend and the tree would "magically" disappear. He also knew of people who wanted chips and wood too, so he'd get money for taking the tree down and hauling it away, money for the chips and money for the wood. That's how we got Christmas presents and school clothes for at least a decade growing up. It's one of those things that the boss/company doesn't care about...until you make a mistake. Then you're fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Relentless posted:

You can shoot that laser once a second for 40+ days straight for the cost of one Mark 48 Torpedo.

This is like saying I can fire a .22 rifle millions of times for the price of a Mk48. So what? The Mk48 is for killing things that a .22 can't do anything about. If you have an enemy ship to kill that laser's not doing the job.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Boop landing

See, that works much better than a mattress.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 4, 2019