Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other big news item recently is the Philippines having officially withdrawn from the International Criminal Court.

Most of the liberal opposition and the mainstream media are making a huge deal over this, but personally, I'm not really too bothered: the ICC has only ever been used to prosecute African warlords, and even in the case of getting favorable decisions with regards to Duterte violating human rights with the war on drugs, or with regards to China's intrusion into the West Philippine Sea, those decisions are completely unenforceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The big conspiracy is that the water shortage is being faked to drum up support for opening a new dam up north, which so happens to be heavily-subsidized and owned by Chinese companies.

Personally, I figured that if Duterte wanted to ram through a project for his PRC buddies, he wouldn't bother with subterfuge. He still has plenty of support.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I’m not from the Philippines (my wife is) but I’ve been trying to follow a little what’s been going on since Duterte was elected. If he still has enough political capital to not face any significant pushback on the Kaliwa dam, this is more likely Hanlon’s Razor at work here right? Figured that Duterte would just use to opportunity to further advocate for the Chinese dam project too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ragaman posted:

I’m not from the Philippines (my wife is) but I’ve been trying to follow a little what’s been going on since Duterte was elected. If he still has enough political capital to not face any significant pushback on the Kaliwa dam, this is more likely Hanlon’s Razor at work here right? Figured that Duterte would just use to opportunity to further advocate for the Chinese dam project too.

Yes, it's very very likely that the water crisis boils down to decades of privatization, mismanagement, and lack of facilities improvements coming home to roost as it intersects with El Nino specifically this year and the pressures of climate change in general.

The idea that this was a "manufactured crisis" primarily derives from the fact that the Finance Secretary was quoted as saying that the Kaliwa dam would solve all of Manila's water problems, and then The Philippine Daily Inquirer ran a headline to highlight that the Kaliwa dam was going to be funded with a Chinese loan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte threatens to suspend writ of habeas corpus, declare 'revolutionary war'

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – Outraged by words of caution on his order for a review of all government contracts, President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to suspend the writ of habeas corpus and arrest "all" of his critics.

In the same breath, Duterte warned he would declare a "revolutionary war" if pushed to a corner.

"(If you push me to my limit, I will declare a suspension of writ of habeas corpus and I will arrest all of you. I will put you together with the criminals, rebels, and drug lords.)," he said on Thursday, April 4, in Puerto Princesa, Palawan.

He was speaking at a gathering of lawyers, the Annual Convention of the Prosecutor’s League of the Philippines.

"(If you give me a hard time, I will declare a revolutionary war until the end of my term. Beg pardon, that's really what will happen)," he continued.

A few sentences later, he revived his threat to establish a revolutionary government.

"This is the first time I mentioned revolutionary government...I'm not stupid like that but if you push me to the wall then I'll show you how stupidity works," said Duterte.

Duterte's threat-laden outburst was prompted by his outrage at Senator Franklin Drilon for saying the Duterte administration must be cautious when reviewing government contracts.

The Liberal Party senator emphasized that he supported the review in general but said all existing contracts have procedures for when provisions are to be changed and that these procedures should be followed so that the government does not breach its obligations under the contract.

"Here comes Drilon saying that 'be careful.' Be careful of what? Be careful of what? (We both went through the) Department of Justice. Why should I be very careful in reviewing contracts that are not for the interest of the people?" said Duterte.

"Be careful of legalities, of what? (Son of a bitch). How dare you say that to me Mr Drilon?" the President continued.

The Chief Executive made it clear that he would not respect procedures in the contracts for modifying "onerous" provisions.

"You think I will allow it just because we cannot impair the obligations of our contracts? (I'm telling you), you push me," said Duterte.

It was during the April 1 Cabinet meeting when Duterte ordered all government agencies to review all contracts they signed with private corporations or foreign governments.

Lawmakers have said government must be careful when demanding changes of provisions in contracts, saying it might send a signal to entities, foreign governments, and investors that the Philippines cannot be trusted to honor the sanctity of contracts.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
a very normal response to criticism from a very normal president 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Thread title continues to deliver

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Dueterte touts 'suicide mission's after Chinese sail near disputed island

Inkstone posted:

The Philippines says it will prepare for a “suicide mission” if Beijing ever touches an island claimed by both countries in the South China Sea.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday called on Beijing to leave alone the island of Thitu, known as Pagasa in Filipino, in a strong protest against a growing Chinese presence in the disputed waters.

“I will not plead or beg, but I am just telling you that lay off the Pagasa because I have soldiers there. If you touch it, that’s a different story. I will tell the soldiers ‘prepare for suicide mission’,” Duterte said in a speech, according to Reuters.

Duterte made the speech after the Philippines’ foreign ministry accused China of violating its sovereignty and jurisdiction by allowing more than 200 vessels to sail close to Thitu in the disputed waters.

The island is part of the Spratly Islands, where China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam and Brunei have competing sovereignty claims.

Beijing has in recent years stepped up asserting its claims over a large swath of the South China Sea. Its construction of artificial islands and military facilities have unnerved neighboring countries.

In a Thursday statement, the Philippines’ foreign ministry said more than 200 Chinese vessels had sailed near Thitu between January and March.

“The presence of Chinese vessels near and around Pag-asa and other maritime features in the KIG is illegal,” it said, using the Filipino acronym for the Spratlys, the Kalayaan island group.

“The presence of Chinese vessels within the KIG, whether military, fishing or other such will thus continue to be the subject of appropriate action by the Philippines.”

Since coming to power in 2016 Duterte has sought stronger ties with China, which has pledged billions of dollars in investment in the Philippines. But he has also been criticized by nationalists for taking a soft stance in territorial disputes with Beijing.

Following the “suicide mission” remarks, the strongman leader said he was not issuing a threat, but offering “a word of advice to my friends,” according to Bloomberg.

China’s foreign ministry spokesman said on Thursday that the two countries would continue to safeguard the peace and stability in the South China Sea.

Satellite images captured in February by the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative under the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies showed almost 100 Chinese ships near Thitu.

The fleet, dispatched from the nearby Subi Reef on which China has built an artificial island, included naval and coast guard vessels, as well as dozens of fishing boats.

AMTI said their presence was part of an effort to coerce the Philippines into stopping the construction work on the island.

Manila was planning to upgrade its military facilities on Thitu, including the construction of an airstrip, but the project was suspended because of the Chinese interference.

The US, a longtime military ally of the Philippines, has promised to increase its support for Manila’s military modernization – a move seen as a response to Beijing’s assertive posturing in the South China Sea.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, it's very very likely that the water crisis boils down to decades of privatization, mismanagement, and lack of facilities improvements coming home to roost as it intersects with El Nino specifically this year and the pressures of climate change in general.

The idea that this was a "manufactured crisis" primarily derives from the fact that the Finance Secretary was quoted as saying that the Kaliwa dam would solve all of Manila's water problems, and then The Philippine Daily Inquirer ran a headline to highlight that the Kaliwa dam was going to be funded with a Chinese loan.

I know a guy who's spent a lot of time with indigenous people in the Philippines, and he was quite straightforward about agitation about terrorism being a straight up cover for removing any community that happened to be inconvenient to foreign capital.

Like he'd ride in a car with an indigenous leader and they'd be like "thanks by the way, they're way less likely to try to kill me when a foreign nationalism is riding with me."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

I know a guy who's spent a lot of time with indigenous people in the Philippines, and he was quite straightforward about agitation about terrorism being a straight up cover for removing any community that happened to be inconvenient to foreign capital.

Like he'd ride in a car with an indigenous leader and they'd be like "thanks by the way, they're way less likely to try to kill me when a foreign nationalism is riding with me."

Oh for sure, that's a thing. The whole declaration of martial law in Mindanao is basically an excuse to militarize the gently caress out of the island so that you can use soldiers to push indigenous tribes out of their territory and open it up for mineral and commercial exploitation, and if that doesn't work, the military just says that NPA have infiltrated the organization and then they use that excuse instead.

Here's a couple of articles touching on the issue:

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/04/01/1906386/belgian-ngo-alcadev-funding-growing-greens-not-raising-reds

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/04/04/1907265/another-belgian-ngo-defends-partners-tagged-rebel-fronts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Helsing posted:

It was a really good choice lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/227159-maria-ressa-posts-bail-new-case-april-1-2019

MANILA, Philippines – Five United States senators urged the Philippine government to drop the charges against jailed Senator Leila de Lima and Rappler CEO Maria Ressa, in a resolution filed this week.

US senators Edward Markey (Massachusetts), Marco Rubio (Florida), Richard Durbin (Illinois), Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee), and Chris Coons (Delaware) have filed a bipartisan resolution condemning the human rights violations in the Philippines.

"The Senate calls the government of the Philippines to immediately release Senator De Lima, drop all charges against her, remove restrictions on her personal and work conditions, and allow her to fully discharge her legislative mandate, especially as Chair of Committee on social justice," the resolution read.

"[It] urges the government of the Philippines to guarantee the right to the freedom of the press, and to drop all the charges against Maria Ressa and Rappler," it added.

De Lima, a fierce critic of the Duterte administration, has been imprisoned for over two years now over drug charges, which she said were fabricated by the government. (READ: De Lima in jail: 'I never imagined Duterte would be this vindictive')

Meanwhile, Ressa was arrested twice, in February and in March, over charges on cyberlibel and for allegedly violating the Anti-Dummy Law. She has since been released after posting bails worth P190,000 just for these two cases.

and Malacañang's response:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like prisoner of NO conscience :smugdon:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Helsing posted:

There's always more and it always goes further

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Today, President Duterte finally signed a budget bill for 2019 into law.

Yes, the nation has been operating without a national budget for about four months and change.
No, it wasn't a "government shutdown" because the previous year's budget kicked in, per the constitution's failsafe provisions

The reason it took so long is that the House of Representatives, lead by former-President-and-now-Speaker-of-the-House Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, wanted to add some 95.3 billion pesos (1.844 billion USD) in pork barrel funding to the budget.

In comparison, the entire budget amounted to 3,757 billion pesos (72.701 billion USD), so the pork, all by itself, was about 25% of the whole thing.

The "fun" part of this whole debacle was that the House and the Senate met in a bicameral conference to reconcile differences in the bill, and the reconciled bill that came out of the conference did not have the pork, but then the copy of the bill that went to the President for his signature had the pork re-inserted, after the bill was already certified by the conference.

The Senate President then attached a cover letter to the bill, essentially saying that "I know this document this fraudulent, and here's the parts that the House changed after-the-fact, and I am affixing my signature to it while imploring the President to please use his line-item veto power to strike out the pork that they tried to sneak through us"

And that's exactly what Duterte did, reportedly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not sure its 25% of the budget based on those numbers

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1118137948820709378

The full speech was way way longer and I can't find a transcript so here comes a translation of all the tagalog tweets in this thread (just skim the thread for all the english parts), and jesus christ as i got further and further into this the quotes got worse and worse... those i could grammatically make sense of anyway

• [The reason I ran, I don't even know why], you know it's quite complicated. With practically no money, no supporters. I ran because I had two messages
  • And second [if the corruption in this government isn't stopped] you can give any president any number of terms, maybe 10 terms and still if you can not improve on these two things forget about giving our children a better deal than what our parents our giving us.
  • [If Nur, by the grace of God allows] with the same set-up [in his area, maybe] in the goodness of God's time we will be able to have a sort of peaceful Mindanao
  • [The only problem is these Abu Sayyaf.] They're a bunch of idiots... they're just a bunch of crazy people [like ISIS in the] Middle East. They don't know what's good and what is wrong
  • [I have no] bigotry and bias. I don't like it. I hate it. [I choose nobody but those who have] talent
  • [If I leave and the people I've appointed want to have a coup, that's okay. The government is yours.]
  • Duterte reiterates that he doesn't want tarps, adulation: [That's my loving work. I'm paid for.]
  • [These drug runners, gently caress you all I'm going to kill you all]
  • [Go to Davao. There's no mess there. It's quiet. They're all dead.]
  • Duterte slams human rights groups again: [You who spread black propaganda. Even my daughter Veronica, a 14 year old drug addict? I'm going to have something to show, you just wait]
  • Duterte on corruption: [My enemy is the nation itself]
  • [Do I lie to you?]
  • [Do you believe in hell? Heaven? What heaven and hell, why do you think I'm God, why would I make bad people just to throw them in hell like Duterte?] (I have no idea what he was saying here but it sounded equally wonky in the original)
  • [Let me choose where I want to go. The inferno. See who's there. Where are the hot girls? In heaven?]
  • [It was really good timing that I'm the president because my work before was that of a killer. You'd pay me and tell me who you wanted dead. My prices were very low. As long as a woman asked, all I needed was a kiss and a hug. For men I charge money.]
  • [You NPA, you want to kill, don't use your soldiers. Those corrupt people who make checkpoints, those are who you should kill. That's what I'm ordering.]
  • [How many here are NPA? There's a lot of you here in Cagayan.]
  • [I really loving beat up people. Ask the soldiers and the police.]
  • [If you sin, I'll let you off the hook. But if you're a drug runner I'll kill you.]
  • [You NPA people, do you want a proper discussion?] Immediate ceasefire
  • [Come home, Sison. I'll take care of you.] I give you my word of honor, [we'll talk. But nothing] about coalition government. You can not have even an iota of the sovereign powers of the Republic of the Philippines.
  • Duterte at a PDP-Laban campaign rally: [I'm not campaigning]
  • [This Roxas guy has done nothing. He worked for Aquino, for Gloria, became Trade secretary, then jumped to Aquino, DOTC, then became DILG. Look at what he's done. Up to now I don't understand and want to ask, why did the SAF enter at 8:00? Why was no help sent?]
  • On the SAF44 incident: [Why did you use the SAF, who weren't familiar with the topography of the place? This president Aquino, I'm calling you out. He asked the general and his question was, he said, "If you were General... if you were there what would you have done?" I got up because it was a very stupid... Ask something like that, at the end of the day your soldiers are dead. I got up.]
  • Duterte on Mamasapano encounter: [Why the police, who know nothing, and why not the army, and why was no assistance sent?]
  • [If you can give a good answer to that, then make Roxas number one. Support that fucker.]
  • Duterte touts Zajid Mangudadatu: [They have a huge family here. The Mangudadatu has stood by the government. The help they've given, the countless lives saved because they're our allies. Up to now these Mangudadatu are pro-government.]
  • Duterte slams Bam Aquino: [Full of words, full of talk, his biggest asset is that he looks like Aquino, that's all. And his nephew looks more like Aquino]
  • In my table either [at home or the office, I have no contracts or] transaction about money. [Just my salary, that's all I live on.]
  • Duterte on universal health care: [A hospital can't turn you down. Cure them. If they can't pay and it looks like you're going to lose money on it, give them an injection of air and water. But don't turn away patients, because that's not allowed.]
  • [You gays, don't get angry at me. I used to be gay.] (appears to be a joke, as the audience laughed)
  • Duterte on Florin Hilbay: [Became solicitor general without any deeds, then filled his office with gays]
  • [Trillanes, gay or man?]
  • [Gays have a sixth sense, you see]
  • Duterte on Trillanes' sexuality: [Ask your gay friends. I challenge you.]
  • Duterte on Hilbay: [His girlfriend is] Agot Isidro, [while his boyfriend is gay].
  • Duterte talks about Tatad's diabetes: [You can't even get an erection. We're all old here, Viagra is the strongest stimulus]
  • [These election lawyers, they get rich off elections. This is the lawyer president. These idiots only stand to profit off a mess during the elections.]
  • Duterte twits Jim Paredes: [Okay let's not have an election. Just a dick size comparing context.] (Duterte then asked the audience to compare genital sizes)

Argue has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Apr 19, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I never really knew what Muammar Gadaffi said in all those long, rambling speeches that was in-vogue to make fun back in 2011 or so, but Duterte certainly seems like he's pulling from the same general feel of it, and being able to understand the words just makes it worse.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Good thread title change.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
girth of a nation

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hot

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm glad to see world leaders acknowledge the existence of the gaydar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

already posted this in the pictures thread but then saw this thread so here you go. Spotted this license plate in Woodside, the big Filipino neighborhood in Queens NY

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

i just stepped out for a 10 minute lunch and already i need to take a shower

i'm dying

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

gradenko_2000 posted:

I never really knew what Muammar Gadaffi said in all those long, rambling speeches that was in-vogue to make fun back in 2011 or so, but Duterte certainly seems like he's pulling from the same general feel of it, and being able to understand the words just makes it worse.

gadaffi had better* ** *** fashion sense

also my favorite libya-related person is the UN translator who hurled down his headphones in the middle of a Gaddafi speech, shouted "I can't take it anymore!", and stormed out of the building

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
imagine having to do weekend chores in an aircon-less car in the philippine summer

ha ha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's "funny" seeing our electrical bill just double in April and May compared to the rest of the year from how goddamn hot it is and having to run the AC more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting's Counterspin show recently did an episode on "the Philippines under Duterte":

quote:

A March Washington Post article about Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said:

quote:

As of December, more than 5,000 people have been slain because of Duterte’s war on drugs, according to officials. That number, however, is significantly lower than the estimate given by human rights groups, which put the casualties at closer to 12,000 or even 20,000.

Note the passivity of “have been slain,” and the choice to lead with an official death toll, rather than human rights groups’ less self-interested numbers. The “12,000” figure provides a link to a Human Rights Watch report that has never been the subject of a Washington Post news story.

Among many things such reporting wouldn’t lead you to suspect: Two years ago, when the Philippine Senate tried to cut funding for the campaign of state and state-sanctioned violence, for which the toll of “even 20,000” is almost certainly conservative, it was the United States that stepped in with the money to fill the shortfall. That’s a direct line from your tax dollars to the leader who said, “Hitler massacred 3 million Jews…. There’s 3 million drug addicts. There are. I’d be happy to slaughter them.”

Corporate media don’t talk much about the Philippines, much less about the US responsibility there. A recent piece from Foreign Policy in Focus, headlined “It’s Time to End US Military Aid to the Philippines,” filled some of that void. We’ll hear from its author, Mellon-ACLS public fellow Amee Chew, and hear also from two Filipino activist/organizers, Ed Cubelo and Mong Palatino.

Their guest, Amee Chew, also wrote an article on "It’s Time to End U.S. Military Aid to the Philippines":

quote:

Meanwhile, less known to U.S. audiences, Duterte has dropped bombs on Philippine soil over 368,391 times — and some 450,000 civilians have been displaced by militarization. After scuttling peace talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), Duterte has jailed internationally protected peace consultants. And in January, consultant Randy Malayao was murdered in cold blood by armed hit men.

Ever since the Philippines attained formal independence in 1946, the U.S. has maintained a military presence on its former colony, guiding and supporting “counter-insurgency” operations to put down constant rebellions against an oligarchic government. Today, the Philippine armed forces overwhelmingly direct violence not against outside invaders, but at poor and marginalized people within its borders. U.S. military aid is only making internal conflict worse.

U.S. taxpayer funds are bankrolling the worsening human rights crisis in the Philippines.

Duterte’s repressive regime is the largest recipient of U.S. military aid in Asia.

In 2016, the U.S. helped inaugurate Duterte’s drug war by giving $32 million to the Philippine police (supposedly for “training and services” in “policing standards” and “rule of law,” besides equipment). In July 2018, the United States announced an additional $26.5 million in U.S. tax dollars to beef up support for Philippine police, in the name of “counter-terrorism.”

In FY2018, the Defense Department provided roughly $100 million in military aid, including equipment, weapons, and aerial surveillance systems, to the Philippine military and police, though Operation Pacific Eagle — a so-called “overseas contingency operation” that is exempt from congressional limits on spending. The amount demanded for this program will increase to $108.2 million for FY2019 — even as the Defense Department has admitted it lost track of transactions for 76 of 77 arms sales conducted under bilateral agreements with the Philippines.

In 2018, on top of the above, the U.S. sold the Philippine police and military over $63 million worth of arms. It also donated 2,253 machine guns, over 5 million rounds of ammunition, surveillance equipment, and other weapons. Military aid totaled at least $193.5 million last year, not including arms sales, and donated equipment of unreported worth. At least $145.6 million is already pledged for 2019.

In January, Trump authorized $1.5 billion annually for the Asian Pacific region, including the Philippines, from 2019 to 2023. Although this authorization includes a stipulation that counter-narcotics funds will not go to the Philippines (“except for drug demand reduction,” a potential loophole), it’s too little, too late. The set-aside has no restrictions on weapons funding for the Philippine military. And separately, the State Department already plans to deliver $5.3 million this year to the Philippine police for anti-narcotics activities. Worse, rampant corruption together with a total lack of transparency means it’s hard to ensure where military aid could actually end up.

U.S. military equipment forms the backbone of Duterte’s “military modernization” program.

Although the above aid is tiny compared to the U.S.’s own bloated military budget, this tremendous transfer of weapons and surveillance technology is significant in propping up the Philippine armed forces’ capacity.

Duterte has embarked on an ambitious program to “modernize” the Philippine military, massively increasing funding and pouring more money towards this than spent in the last 15 years. (Meanwhile, he’s doubled the salaries of military and police.) He could not do so without U.S. aid and arms.

For its part, the U.S. is particularly interested in expanding aerial “intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance” missions over Mindanao, the largest island in the Southern Philippines, rich in untapped mineral resources. Without U.S. aid, the Philippine military would lack the airplanes and technology to perform this surveillance.

What’s more, this year’s Operation Pacific Eagle budget sets aside an extra $3.5 million for U.S. military efforts to collect and analyze “local media in native languages” — underscoring that the U.S. is striving for an upper hand in directing Philippine military operations. And in winning an information war over public opinion.

In recent years, the U.S. has had up to 5,000 troops deployed in the Philippines at any one time. Officially, U.S. troops are limited to “joint exercises” and war games. But questions have been raised over possible U.S. personnel involvement in secretive missions, resulting in killings of civilians and human rights abuses.

In the case of the 2015 Mamasapano massacre, supposedly under the jurisdiction of Philippine police and military only, hearings later uncovered U.S. guidance and surveillance support, despite U.S. denials. Meanwhile, U.S. troops who themselves commit human rights abuses, murder, or sexual assault, are insulated from being held accountable by the U.S.-Philippines Visiting Forces Agreement.

Since 2017, Duterte has imposed martial law on Mindanao. Increasing militarization is resulting in rampant abuses against indigenous and Moro people. Aerial “surveillance” missions already make up the bulk of U.S. aid to the Philippine military. Most likely in direct relation, bombings in Mindanao have escalated — particularly over indigenous lands, causing mass evacuations. Simultaneously, reminiscent of U.S.-sponsored tactics in Latin America resulting in indigenous genocide, the Philippine military, together with paramilitary groups it arms and guides, are terrorizing indigenous communities. The military has recruited and even forced indigenous people to become paramilitaries as a means of divide-and-conquer.

Indigenous groups’ resistance is at the forefront of the struggle against climate change, both in the Philippines and globally. Now, their lands, such as those in Mindanao’s Pantaron Range, are some of the few remaining to be opened up to extractive logging and mining by multinational corporations. The militarization of indigenous lands, purportedly in the name of counterinsurgency, seeks to quell this organized community opposition to corporate land-grabbing and environmental degradation.

When the Philippine Senate tried to restrict funding for Duterte’s drug war in late 2017, the U.S. stepped in to provide funds that filled the shortfall.

To evade accountability, Duterte has shifted drug war operations from under the Philippine National Police (PNP) to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and back to the PNP’s general operation funds. Recently, he eliminated keeping a separate budget item for the drug war — obscuring how much money is being expended on it. The Philippine Congress has not been able to provide effective oversight.

The continuing drug war killings and rampant human rights abuses only underscore that there is no way to ensure U.S. military aid to the Duterte regime does not enable human rights violations. For its part, U.S. military spending is not only overblown, but also often untraceable, secretive, and unaccountable. From Central America to Palestine to the Philippines, U.S. military aid has a sordid legacy of fueling atrocities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

oh yeah smart guy? well here's mine what do you have to say to this???

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
y'all alright? that earthquake hit something fierce apparently

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I made it through fine, but yeah, that quake was a no-poo poo damaging event. Travel around the city is going to suck if it turns out the MRT lines are damaged, and I've seen pictures of Clark's terminal suffering a collapse as well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I made it through fine

I am glad of this!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1120895186958155776

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1120923633092661248

lmao fuckin' cucked

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chinese Subtitles and Xenophobia: What Are We Really Angry About?

quote:

This week, a number of city cinemas made headlines because of plans to screen of Avengers: Endgame with Chinese subtitles. Social media quickly flared up with vitriol criticizing the move. Some complained about the visual integrity of the film, which is understandable. Subtitles, after all, can be a distraction for people not handicapped by language barriers. Others questioned the necessity of the move – “Why not put Filipino subtitles first before Chinese subtitles?” or “Wow, they’re really prioritizing the Chinese!”

Megaworld Lifestyle Malls was heavily criticized for screening Endgame with Chinese subtitles, and some Internet users were keen to point out the same accommodation had not been given to Koreans in the past. “Koreans have been here longer, why didn’t they bother putting Korean subtitles?”

While some of the comments about Chinese subtitles in Avengers: Endgame screenings may be valid, the negative reactions may be symptomatic of a deep-seated problem among many Filipinos: racial intolerance. And this is not a recent thing. Historically, Filipinos and Spaniards in the 16th century treated Manila’s Chinese as lower class outsiders.

A 2013 study by the World Values Survey showed the Philippines is among the least racially tolerant countries in the world. According to the study, Filipinos are more skeptical than optimistic about racial diversity and inclusiveness.

Nationalism, Patriotism, or Racism?

Nationalism is the sense of national consciousness, exalting one’s nation (the people) above all others. Patriotism is the love or devotion to one’s country. Racism is prejudice or discrimination towards other races.

While there is a clear indication of racism among many Filipinos toward the Chinese, we cannot entirely label the negative reactions about Chinese subtitles in the screenings of Endgame as mere racism. It may also be because there are links to national issues that exacerbate our xenophobia.

The problem may lie with Filipinos not wanting to accommodate the spreading influence of the Chinese in our own territory. We may have had good reason to welcome the Koreans in the past (and the entry into our culture of K-pop, K-dramas, and Korean food), but we now also have good reason to not lay out the welcome mat for the Chinese: the West Philippine Sea disputes, the harassment of Filipino fishermen on Scarborough, and the alleged presence of Chinese manual laborers in the country—jobs Filipinos are clearly competent at and hired for in many places abroad.

These issues about national sovereignty have ignited our sense of nationalism and patriotism, which in turn, may have fueled Filipinos’ increasing animosity racist rants about Chinese nationals in the Philippines. The truth is, subtitles are a normal thing. We tolerate them everywhere: in K-pop videos, in K-dramas, in bootleg copies of movies we buy from China. But in recent days, they have become a whipping boy for Filipinos to vent their anger and frustration upon, which is a completely separate issue of Chinese expansionism in the West Philippine Sea.

Unpopular Conclusion

To put things into perspective, there are more than 380 cinemas in Metro Manila, and hundreds more around the country. Cinemas that will screen Endgame with Chinese subtitles are fewer than 10, and only at select locations such as in Lucky Chinatown Mall, where there are concentrated numbers of Chinese Filipinos, many of whom were born and raised there, as well as immigrants.

Filipinos should rise above themselves and accept the reality that Chinese subtitles in these cinemas—a gesture of accommodation to paying customers—are okay. Malls are business entities, after all.

Accommodating legal immigrants, no matter what their nationality, is the least form of decency we can offer, especially from a country with a tenth of its population living abroad as foreigners.

If we are angry about certain issues regarding sovereignty and China’s expansionism, we should focus our indignation via the proper channels, not toward immigrants or those who choose to accommodate them. Filipinos are always the first and loudest to cry foul whenever one of our own is discriminated against or not accommodated abroad because of our language, skin color, or heritage. At the end of the day, we are all part of a global community.

https://twitter.com/rllyrina/status/1121059849704329216
https://twitter.com/icegazmin/status/1120963707670892544

I feel like I'm yelling at the void, or maybe preaching to the choir in this thread, but I'm really starting to hate this kind of rhetoric as it develops.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

It's our duty to protect the intellectual property of Disney by only attending accredited theaters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A recent development is that some of our right-wing propagandists found that the National Endowment for Democracy previously made grants/donations to Rappler, Vera Files, the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism, and the Center for Media Freedom & Responsibility:

They're trying to turn this into a scandal under the banner that this represents foreign influence on Filipino domestic affairs - that essentially, the US / CIA, via the NED, is funneling money to these groups for them to publish work that is damaging to Duterte.

And further, that such monies represent a violation of the Constitution, since media entities are supposed to be completely locally-owned, per our Constitution. Rappler was previously in hot water over being funded by billionaire Pierre Omidyar (who also owns/funds The Intercept), right up until Omidyar essentially gave up all his stake in the company to try and prevent Rappler from being prosecuted by the SEC.

It's an interesting angle, because the consensus among the left is that the NED is bad news as far as being enabler of American propaganda (and worse) in countries where the US has a foreign policy stake in, but in this case, outing the NED as such a force is being used by the right, to prop up Duterte and attack his critics.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 12:36 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So I used this and just took the top matches as my list of candidates for the election on Monday.

Chel Diokno was pretty much the only one I had decided on before this, but based on the results, I can also add Tanada, Colmenares, De Guzman, Gutoc, Hilbay, Arellano, Roxas, and Osmena. Alejano is against Divorce so I'm not sure on him but past that list is the point where I get uncomfortable with voting for anyone else. Are there any caveats with the people I listed, and also Is there anyone else I can vote for to help stop the absolute garbage tier from gaining power?