Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Captain_duck posted:

Before the end, that behelith guts is carrying around is getting used. It's a extremely horrible Checkovs gun. No idea who is going to use it, could be Guts, Puck or maybe even Casca. Maybe Guts will do it to gain the power to kill Griffith but that seems unlikely. Maybe Guts dies and Puck or Casca uses it to revive Guts somehow?

But whoever isn't using it is going to get sacrificed. Farnese, Serpico, Isidoro, Schierke they are pretty much guaranteed to be sacrificed, and it will be awful.

Guts cannot use the behelit since he has the brand. Same for Casca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Laputanmachine posted:

I always thought the implication was that the behelit in Gut's posesion would be used as a way to open up a pathway to reach griffith or the godhand, and if there is any astral walking, Schierke would probably be the one to actually use it in that way.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Captain_duck posted:

Before the end, that behelith guts is carrying around is getting used. It's a extremely horrible Checkovs gun. No idea who is going to use it, could be Guts, Puck or maybe even Casca. Maybe Guts will do it to gain the power to kill Griffith but that seems unlikely. Maybe Guts dies and Puck or Casca uses it to revive Guts somehow?

But whoever isn't using it is going to get sacrificed. Farnese, Serpico, Isidoro, Schierke they are pretty much guaranteed to be sacrificed, and it will be awful.

Man, I dunno. In another series I'd agree with you, but I can see Guts as he is now being very staunchly against having anything to do with the loving thing. I find it very easy to imagine Miura doing a bit of a fake-out with it though; Guts in a moment of crisis holding the Behelit and staring at it before another six-month cliffhanger, then back to him going "gently caress this," and hucking it into the ocean or something.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The behelit belongs to Puck :colbert:

jk I hope skill knight turns it into a time bomb to kill the rest of the godhand

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

The_White_Crane posted:

Man, I dunno. In another series I'd agree with you, but I can see Guts as he is now being very staunchly against having anything to do with the loving thing. I find it very easy to imagine Miura doing a bit of a fake-out with it though; Guts in a moment of crisis holding the Behelit and staring at it before another six-month cliffhanger, then back to him going "gently caress this," and hucking it into the ocean or something.

I don't see Guts using it for Power either as i said. Guts has seen enough people use it and then killed em hah. But someone else, Puck, Casca and perhaps even Farnese could do it, especially if its to save Guts somehow.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think the story has come a long way towards guts’ crew 100% not getting sacrificed. there might be a close call but these guys are preparing to fight the god hand. if they die itll be in a desperate final battle, in glorious conbat

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I hope Zodd uses it and once Griffith is paste the REAL rematch begins.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Void speaks, pointing at the vision of Elfhelm
“lf even now, that castle...
Is in your eyes more dazzling than anything...
Then pile it up, take all you have left...
Chant the words "I sacrifice" in your heart...
And you shall be granted raven-black wings...
Upon which you shall soar in the heavens, far above any mountain.”

At this point Guts finally reaches the top of the spire and shouts
”PUCK!”

Puck turns to him and smiles warmly
“Yes...
Amongst the thousands of comrades,
And the tens of thousands of enemies...
There was only one man...
You were the only one
Who ever made me forget my dream.”

“I sacrifice.”

Guts:
“Ah poo poo not again.”

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 5, 2019

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Augus posted:

Void speaks, pointing at the vision of Elfhelm
“lf even now, that castle...
Is in your eyes more dazzling than anything...
Then pile it up, take all you have left...
Chant the words "I sacrifice" in your heart...
And you shall be granted raven-black wings...
Upon which you shall soar in the heavens, far above any mountain.”

At this point Guts finally reaches the top of the spire and shouts
”PUCK!”

Puck turns to him and smiles warmly
“Yes...
Amongst the thousands of comrades,
And the tens of thousands of enemies...
There was only one man...
You were the only one
Who ever made me forget my dream.
I sacrifice.”

Guts:
“Ah poo poo not again.”

And it's Chestnut Puck the whole time.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
People who have the brand cannot be sacrificed again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder if some gimmick will show up that Griffith hasn't achieved full power/whatever since Casca and Guts lived and all of his sacrifices havent been completed.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Harlock posted:

I wonder if some gimmick will show up that Griffith hasn't achieved full power/whatever since Casca and Guts lived and all of his sacrifices havent been completed.

Yeah I think the same. I think that's why Griffith isn't totally evil because she didn't shed all of his humanity.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Laputanmachine posted:

I dunno, I think some of the Godhand could bend the rules just to watch what would happen. At least, maybe Slann would. It would be interesting if the rules of the sacrifice are more a gentleman's agreement so long as the five arch demons follow the same laws - but with what's going on now, well, maybe one could do something that the other four wouldn't appreciate if they were aware of it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Laputanmachine posted:

I thought this was the case too but iirc they never explicitly state that anywhere, and Slan implies in Qliphoth that Guts could use the Behilit too if he were chosen by Fate

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Harlock posted:

Additionally it has been implied that Guts/Casca/Griffith's ghost fetus being part of Griffith's new mortal body was not part of his plan / is a potential weakness.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laputanmachine posted:

I don't think this has ever been stated. What we do know is that

Laputanmachine posted:

People who have the brand cannot be sacrificed again.

but we've never seen a branded person try.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like I don't think they would refuse a Sacrifice's Sacrifice as that's just more souls bound to the chain for them. It probably has just never really happened before because most sacrifices die before they are given the chance, which is why Slann is interested in the possibility outside of maybe having a murder crush on Guts. Could he actually use it? There were times when the beddy was becoming a formed face seemingly to suggest that the option and fate were aligning for a struggler that they keep failing to write out of the story. Will he is probably a big no as Guts has done much to get where he is. But there will probably be a big temptation scene involving that. Especially if Casca fully becomes herself and regains her memories in their entirety - including The Eclipse and everything after that.

Maybe as a means to both gently caress with him and Griffith.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Keep in mind that people don't really use a Behelit; it's fated to arrive coincident with their despair, which activates it. Of all the people now in Gut's party, the most likely to despair is Casca; I still think it's hers.

Now, what happens on activation when the planes are already merged? It doesn't seem we have much (any) evidence for that. We certainly know where most of the apostles are, but the Godhand are seemingly still locked away unless there's a particularly evil spot they can seep through.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you’ve got the brand you’re exempt from fate (at the cost of being a demon magnet forever) right? I think the logic is that that prevents you from being the fated user of a behelit

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

skasion posted:

If you’ve got the brand you’re exempt from fate (at the cost of being a demon magnet forever) right? I think the logic is that that prevents you from being the fated user of a behelit
Skull Knight misses Griffith with a Behelit Sword that he's been constructing forever, bringing about Griffiths grand vision, and you think fate is simplistic and linear? When we know that there's more than one type of Behelit, it seems far fetched to assume that all are off limits.

Also: Witch lady purposefully doesn't answer his questions about it. Hmmm.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 5, 2019

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The godhand is connected to the behelits, and fate brings on the eclipse. There may be a way to use the behelit in a non sacrificey way if you are not trying to become an apostle.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I doubt trying to use the behlit in any other way except to summon the Godhand ends well as Skull Knight showed, but it could be possible to bound the Godhand to a certain place instead of a weapon that can effectively damage them. However, it is also possible to self sacrifice like the Behlit apostle did.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
so

uh

I just finished watching the 97 anime for the first time and

what the frick

what should I do now?

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

so

uh

what the frick

what should I do now?

Not watch the new one.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Read the comic, learn about Puck and what happens after the eclipse.

Eventually catch up to the current release and have to accept that ~6 chapters are released each year now if we're lucky.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Volume 40 is coming out September 28th.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Raspberry Bang posted:

Not watch the new one.

Seconding this, holy poo poo.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

so

uh

what the frick

what should I do now?

read the manga from the start

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I actually started rereading Berserk last year because I realized I'd totally forgotten most of it and that I had absolutely no idea of the events leading up to the eclipse.

But then I had to stop right before it happens because I got attached to the characters and I just can't reread the misery that's about to follow :smithicide: Berserk is drat well one of the hardest things to read casually because the only way to avoid feeling like poo poo about the stuff that goes on is to have an aura of cynical detachment on you at all times and that in itself is miserable.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ruflux posted:

I actually started rereading Berserk last year because I realized I'd totally forgotten most of it and that I had absolutely no idea of the events leading up to the eclipse.

But then I had to stop right before it happens because I got attached to the characters and I just can't reread the misery that's about to follow :smithicide: Berserk is drat well one of the hardest things to read casually because the only way to avoid feeling like poo poo about the stuff that goes on is to have an aura of cynical detachment on you at all times and that in itself is miserable.

After a good 4 or 5 times I've read or watched through the eclipse, I've gotten pretty desensitized to it. I still think Berserk is good or I wouldn't have read it that many times, but the golden age is actually a pretty short part of the manga.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What's really cool is that on rereads you pick up on things that you never noticed before, like lots of foreshadowing and iconography that you forget and miss when waiting half a year between chapters. That and various themes are present all the way back in the golden age and build upon themselves as the story progresses further.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ruflux posted:

:smithicide: Berserk is drat well one of the hardest things to read casually because the only way to avoid feeling like poo poo about the stuff that goes on is to have an aura of cynical detachment on you at all times and that in itself is miserable.
Naaa, this view is itself fairly cynical. Corkus got his vision of loveliness. Others die in battle (how else would they want to go out?). Apostles gotta eat. Go back and look at how happy they are.

A great banquet is meant to be enjoyed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
does the manga really start with this or am I missing something

e:

holy poo poo this is amazing already. this will be a fun read

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah uh, Miura really wasn't in his groove when he started Berserk and the first arc is the weakest for this.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
k last manga I read was Bleach and holy poo poo I'm so not used to backgrounds there's a lot of information going on

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm so not used to backgrounds

Ah, to discover the berserk manga for the first time.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
mm k the elf is a lil bit annoying. Not for the cutesy factor but for the stand-in emotion surrogate thing. I assume it gets toned down in later chapters, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think if Miura had time travel to change how he did things, the opening of Berserk would be wildly different to the point of it sharing basically no panels.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
counterpoint: Black Swordsman loving owns and I wouldn't change a single part of it

Guts getting freaky with some random demon lady is almost hilariously against his character, but that scene is also badass as hell and a sweet Conan the Barbarian nod, and everything else basically tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You got to respect the commitment to that plan to keep going even after she turns into a Giger-esque monstrosity.

That part is crazy out of character but it's like the first thing that happens.