Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

ZeButler posted:

Is Amaria supposed to have clinical depression? Because if so, holy poo poo that's written by someone that's never actually experienced it. Clinical depression doesn't make you a self absorbed whiny rear end in a top hat that tries to kill people, it makes so you never want to leave bed because you don't have the energy to do so, and even if you did, what's the point because it doesn't really matter.

What I'm saying is, Amythest should never try to write things she doesn't know.

This, so much. Genuinely depressed people do not have the energy to spare on pretentious emo phrases about tasting emotions and venomous tongues and whatever the gently caress else she was babbling about because they need all their energy for really loving basic poo poo like getting up and having a shower and remembering to eat. A regular conversation that long would be draining enough without dressing it in melodrama. It's lovely amateur writing to have depression manifest as overwrought Livejournal poetry, let alone a homicidal episode.

An actual severely clinically depressed gym leader not receiving any form of treatment would just not open the gym, then refuse to fight once you track them down, then be really unenthusiastic about it and it would be a really dull fight with no wacky terrain bullshit or mega or z anything and their pokemon would all be underlevelled with only default level up moves. Because it turns out that mental illnesses affect your ability to do things, they don't leave you perfectly functional and just unable to stop talking garbage about your feelings.

Disregarding all that, why did Amaria even try to kill us? I thought she had magic plot amnesia and has no idea we were involved in the mess before, and Titania doesn't dump her psychotic rear end until after this all plays out, so what exactly does she think is Raven's fault?

And this is pretty much the only action of Titania's that I can't blame her for. Once someone starts trying to kill regular non-villain people, you nope on out of there and don't look back. Frankly if this is what she's been putting up with this whole time then I am fractionally more sympathetic. (Which is not to say actually sympathetic; I was already well into the negative on that scale, we're just a bit closer to neutral now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Mad Surge posted:

Screw Terra, *these two* are the worst characters in the whole game. Amethyst can't write for poo poo, but trying to write a clinically depressed person and all she can come up with is "mopes around a lot and suddendly tries to kill you" is bloodcurdling! And Titania is an insufferable garbage edgelord who can't even keep her "I don't trust you anymore" promises and immediately shows up to save the player, for... reasons?!

I guess maybe you could read that as Titania being overwhelmed and saying stuff she didn't mean at the time, and reconsidering later when she remembers Amaria built a gym challenger drowning trap in their house?

What a stupid update

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Amaria was faking amnesia in order to keep the deeply toxic relationship going

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Black Robe posted:

Disregarding all that, why did Amaria even try to kill us?

When Raven showed up at Fiore Mansion the second time it was the diary fiasco, and then when Amaria woke up after Team Meteor attacked, Raven was there again and Titania flew away to be at her castle in the desert, and now Titania still hasn't returned but Raven's here again.

The bad parts of her brain are spraying bad chemicals that lead her to connect Titania staying away with Raven hanging out.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Black Robe posted:

Disregarding all that, why did Amaria even try to kill us?

Better question, why does Amaria have a murder room?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BisbyWorl posted:

Reborn

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BisbyWorl posted:

If you were building your house and had the chance to build in a murder room, wouldn't you?

I mean, I'd probably just end up using it as a library, but a murder room is a murder room, no matter what's inside :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Disregarding all that, why did Amaria even try to kill us? I thought she had magic plot amnesia and has no idea we were involved in the mess before, and Titania doesn't dump her psychotic rear end until after this all plays out, so what exactly does she think is Raven's fault?

Also, all of you were wrong about Amaria's amnesia. You all were so preoccupied with how it reset Amaria and Titania's relationship, that you missed how it also included all of her memories of Raven being a friend and ally, and her own heroics against Team Meteor.

Earlygame Amaria was a hero despite her depression.
Like Victoria (the rival as other Hero) and Fern (the rival as Snarker) she degenerated into an rear end in a top hat obstacle. The difference here is that they had to straight-up kill the original version of her with the amnesia plot so that she could develop in the opposite direction.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ZeButler posted:

Is Amaria supposed to have clinical depression? Because if so, holy poo poo that's written by someone that's never actually experienced it. Clinical depression doesn't make you a self absorbed whiny rear end in a top hat that tries to kill people, it makes so you never want to leave bed because you don't have the energy to do so, and even if you did, what's the point because it doesn't really matter.

What I'm saying is, Amythest should never try to write things she doesn't know.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"["]Just give me my badge already, Stop whining for attention, There's nothing really wrong with you.""

On one hand I do know in fact how you feel, on the other hand oh my god was I this bad

"But you don't get it! Even if there were nobody here at all, there's still someone there saying those things. It's the part of me that only shuts up when she's around. It's the part of me that I can't kill."

"And the worst part is... I don't know who I am without it. There's a part of me still livid with you, too. Maybe you've done nothing wrong. But it's because of you that she's gone."

What DO you call this, then? That was giving me flashbacks to darker times, ones I haven't fully shaken off, so it's not limited to the movie screen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

whomst among us haven't installed a murder dungeon into their homes

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Millennials Are Killing The Murder Room Industry- And Why That’s Bad News

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wives have the final say in real estate purchases and that's why my murder room is built with women in mind.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wives have the final say in real estate purchases and that's why my murder room is built with women in mind.

How do I clean copious amounts of blood off my plastic fake rocks?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When murdering people, martial arts are helpful because then you can target their load-bearing joints.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

YamiNoSenshi posted:

It's why you gotta build your murder room in your weird symbolic underwater labyrinth

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What a big sunken tub! Still no toilet, though.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Is Julia supposed to be the audience surrogate or something? She's just chilling using a flooded house as her own pool probably being :munch: while watching the entire trainwreck.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Obviously by flooding the entire thing thanks to bad plumbing skills.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Bruceski posted:

What DO you call this, then? That was giving me flashbacks to darker times, ones I haven't fully shaken off, so it's not limited to the movie screen.

Yes, that part, at the minimum, sounds accurate. You have no will, everything's pointless, you can sit and stare for hours. Or sleep. Been there, doing that, taking anti-depressants(I can't say they're helping for sure, but people yell otherwise, so I keep doing it). There's little to nothing that's useful. Some things or places(Even and especially places like this forum) might get you to do things, even 'inventive' or 'creative' things but it's also a spectre that makes everything you do 'useless'. 'Pointless'. It's poison that ruins everything you do. Why go on, why keep doing X? Why keep living, even? And most of the time, there's no answer.

There's also the self-hatred. Why are you so lazy? Just get up and GO. You're just not doing enough. There's nothing actually wrong with you.

Now, Amaria thinks she has an answer, she's living for Titania. Losing her for any reason can, of course, be a breaking point. Been there, done THAT. To myself, but done that. I still miss Mama.

I'm still of the feeling "I should be dead." How the hell I'm not is basically luck. Dramatic? Too much? Whiny self-absorbed idiot? I guess? Maybe?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 5, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

YamiNoSenshi posted:

By painting everything red and black to begin with both the fresh and dried on stains will be unnoticeable.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't believe OFS cut the thread's joists by having the name change too early.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I prefer to think that dive provides endless air (I mean, Raven has spent plenty of time scouring a lakebed for corpses and not had any problems) but Amaria forgot that because she's too wrapped up in Drama, so Raven, being stuck in a room with no agency, did the logical thing and took a nap.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
yikes

that was more offensive than the coreycide

can we report this woman to the hat guy, she needs a straightjacket and years of therapy and he's the closest thing the game has to a psychologist

also literally just trying to kill the player with no out and effectively no consequence is maybe the apex of the lack of player agency

Jen X fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 5, 2019

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Bruceski posted:

That, on its own, would be a decent depiction of depression, for the most part (it's still a bit melodramatic to me, but that's besides the point). The whole running away from you multiple times, then trying to kill you, while LiveJournaling at you the entire time? That's complete and utter bullshit. People that are clinically depressed wouldn't even be able to gather the energy to swim, let alone swim underwater in a giant labyrinth that has built in kill rooms and try to use one of those kill rooms on someone. If Amethyst wanted to be accurate, Amaria never would've even been at her arena. The actual puzzle would've been "How do I convince this person to get out of bed and fight me so I can try to get a badge?" That thing about asking you whether you want singles or doubles, then going "gently caress you, we're doing the other one"? Wouldn't happen. You would be lucky to even get the "Singles or Doubles" question out of her if she was actually depressed, and she would probably just try to give you the badge without fighting you.

I'm not trying to minimize your experiences, I have been to some bad places mentally before, so I understand. But, as a whole, Amaria is Hollywood depressed, not clinically, and Amethyst sucks at writing.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Honestly, this reads like the writer opened up a DSM and interpreted every symptom it lists through a pop-psychology and/or soap opera lens. This is what depression looks like if you look at it in a funhouse mirror through a kaleidoscope.

I'll admit that one or two lines almost worked, or could have in a vacuum, but in context and taken as a whole, I don't think I can find a way to not see this depiction as incredibly offensive. (For the record, I too am saying this as a person who's struggled with clinical depression most of my life; hello everyone! I see you all too.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Golux posted:

I prefer to think that dive provides endless air (I mean, Raven has spent plenty of time scouring a lakebed for corpses and not had any problems) but Amaria forgot that because she's too wrapped up in Drama, so Raven, being stuck in a room with no agency, did the logical thing and took a nap.

Dammit, I like that idea better than my Death of the Player Character interpretation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As one of the many people here with clinical depression (And gently caress is it a miracle if I make my weekly obligations of "Stream on Monday morning for a few hours. Maybe play D&D on Wednesday.") And yeah it's a complete loving mental hellscape. Especially when life, as life is want to do, lends itself to make you question yourself (Why is it I've been looking for a job for over two years and can't even get callbacks for loving retail? What's wrong with me? Why do I even bother doing this?)

At my worst point, a fire alarm went off in my apartment and I could not work up the energy to crawl from the bed and get dressed and go outside. Literally was willing to lie there and, in the potential case of an actual fire, just let me burn. "Hey, you've run out of Anti's, need to go down to the doctors to get it refilled" yeah, how about we just lie here though? And this one, literally these past couple of days "Hey, a plate got broke, you should go downstairs to get the free vacuum cleaner that you can get for no hassle and just vacuum up the shattered plate." And I have not. It's almost been a week, I've picked up the big pieces and like... I know it's a simple walk down, I know it's easy to do, I know all of that and I just can't.

That's depression.

and yes, on the Zekrom route, Amaria wouldn't have tried to kill us or been angsty. But gently caress these characters, and I want them to be miserable, so let's stick to Reshriam.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's not uncommon to drown your sorrows.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You know what? gently caress it, now I'm thinking it's a pity that Titania finally walked out on Amaria because I'm now totally in favor of their hideous sham relationship. They deserve each other.

Also as yet another person with deep issues relating to self-loathing gotta once again say gently caress you to Reborn. :majorminor:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It says something that I read the last update and instead of being shocked and bewildered I’m all, “Yep, that’s Reborn all right!”

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
in an alternate universe

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Onmi posted:

and yes, on the Zekrom route, Amaria wouldn't have tried to kill us or been angsty. But gently caress these characters, and I want them to be miserable, so let's stick to Reshriam.

I think the biggest thing that makes me confused is how the hell does choosing to fight Taka or not in a sewer lead to someone deciding whether or not to kill you?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Those two loving deserve eachother, if only to keep them away from everyone else.

Also I like how the golden ending has everyone BUT one of the biggest assholes suffer.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
This happened because Raven didn’t fight Taka in the sewers.
e:fb

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hi woomod.

I am a goat.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"This is supposed to be my personal area. Pass through to the gym if you want, but the only one allowed to stay down here with me is Tania. ...Not like she ever would... Do you want to know why I fell in love with Tania? It's because she's the only one-- ...who let me. When I was crying, she stayed. When I was bleeding, she stayed. And when I was dying--"

"She's still here. And I know... I know she deserves better. I know-- She doesn't love me."

"I'd suck venom right from her tongue a half-thousand more if it meant she would always be here... But she's not here now."

"Why is it you? She's all I have. You don't understand. You don't-- Forget it."

gently caress you.

No, but seriously though. gently caress you. gently caress this. This sucks. I hate this. Everything about this is the worst. gently caress this. This is terrible. Both of these lovely people deserve each other. I absolutely hate this. Everything about this complete and utter garbage is the actual loving worst, eat poo poo. Every development of this garbage plotline is somehow even more the worst than the entire rest of it. I absolutely despise this.

Like- like, okay, someone earlier in the thread said that pre-amnesia Amaria was 'a hero' and like, apparently that's not true at all, because apparently she's the sort of person who attempts suicide and fakes amnesia multiple times as a way of grabbing attention and keeping her lovely fake girlfriend around! I honestly don't know, at this point, which of these two pieces of garbage I hate more, I'm- I am honestly, genuinely angry in a way that Reborn does not often make me. Everything about this subplot makes my skin crawl. I- I just-

This character has significant mental problems and if depression is one of them it is frankly one of the much more minor ones on the list, and I frankly feel a touch offended at the comparison! gently caress o- just gently caress off, jesus! Just, gently caress! I hate Pokemon Reborn! Why is there still another episode of this garbage?!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

alcharagia posted:

gently caress you.

No, but seriously though. gently caress you. gently caress this. This sucks. I hate this. Everything about this is the worst. gently caress this. This is terrible. Both of these lovely people deserve each other. I absolutely hate this. Everything about this complete and utter garbage is the actual loving worst, eat poo poo. Every development of this garbage plotline is somehow even more the worst than the entire rest of it. I absolutely despise this.

Like- like, okay, someone earlier in the thread said that pre-amnesia Amaria was 'a hero' and like, apparently that's not true at all, because apparently she's the sort of person who attempts suicide and fakes amnesia multiple times as a way of grabbing attention and keeping her lovely fake girlfriend around! I honestly don't know, at this point, which of these two pieces of garbage I hate more, I'm- I am honestly, genuinely angry in a way that Reborn does not often make me. Everything about this subplot makes my skin crawl. I- I just-

This character has significant mental problems and if depression is one of them it is frankly one of the much more minor ones on the list, and I frankly feel a touch offended at the comparison! gently caress o- just gently caress off, jesus! Just, gently caress! I hate Pokemon Reborn! Why is there still another episode of this garbage?!

Because it has a dedicated fanbase who thinks it's both better balanced and better written then main pokemon games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BlackPersona posted:

I think the biggest thing that makes me confused is how the hell does choosing to fight Taka or not in a sewer lead to someone deciding whether or not to kill you?

In the Zekrom Route Amaria basically admits that much of her depressive behavior is an act to force Titania to stick around, and she knows it's monstrous to force Titania into a relationship with her but she doesn't care. And will agree with you if you call her an rear end in a top hat.

So yeah I don't think Amaria's depressed at all, it's the overblown attention seeking emo "depression" that uses elaborate (but ultimately fruitless) forms of self harm to ensure that they get their way. She threw herself off the waterfall to force Titania to intervene in hopes that it would make her actually for real love her, and when that failed she fell back on the amnesia gambit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

luv 2 get monologued at underwater

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

alcharagia posted:

gently caress you.

Pokemon Reborn: gently caress you. No, but seriously though. gently caress you. gently caress this. This sucks. I hate this. Everything about this is the worst. gently caress this. This is terrible. Both of these lovely people deserve each other. I absolutely hate this. Everything about this complete and utter garbage is the actual loving worst, eat poo poo. Every development of this garbage plotline is somehow even more the worst than the entire rest of it. I absolutely despise this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
totally with julia not caring about their relationship drama