Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i "worked from home" today and now im eating tim tam slams so things are ok for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

hell yeah idk what a tim tam slam is but it rhymes so it must be good

meanwhile i'm trying to business-professionally write a letter to a hospital alleging emotional and economic distress that they exacted on me unjustly and wrongly,

which itself is causing me emotional and economic distress,

which is making it harder to do the thing

that i don't know how to do

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
They put once on some adderral knock off that was supposed to last shorter so it'll be less addictive (more expensive) and all it did was make me like murderously angry all the time and I smashed in a tire air pump with a brick when it didn't accept my credit card.

That's my adderal story.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

without insurance my daily meds (buprenorphine and escitalopram) would cost me more than that. With insurance I pay around $40.

Oof. I consider myself extremely lucky the most expensive thing I take in my cocktail is lamotrigine and maybe trazedone. :(

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm transitioning to prozac which they might as well put out in a little dish by the register like mints

It owns

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

juche avocado posted:

hell yeah idk what a tim tam slam is but it rhymes so it must be good

meanwhile i'm trying to business-professionally write a letter to a hospital alleging emotional and economic distress that they exacted on me unjustly and wrongly,

which itself is causing me emotional and economic distress,

which is making it harder to do the thing

that i don't know how to do

yeah this owns

i would like to apply for disability because certain topics/situations give me physical anxiety symptoms that make me basically nonfunctional. one of those topics/situations is applying for disability lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

my parents failed me lmao

solidarity friend

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

solidarity friend

tell me about it

I would've happily sacrificed privilege to have parents that gave a poo poo about me besides making them look good

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
crossposting from the happypost thread bc lmao:

https://twitter.com/cat_mparadise/status/1113342330159763456

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/SlenderSherbet/status/1114257030737534976

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could say that the thing that excites me most about a hypothetical Bernie presidency with a cooperative Dem congress is the relief and joy hundreds of millions would feel as they reaped the benefits of a government that was truly for the people. But if I'm being honest the thing that really makes me smile is the thought of gleefully encouraging wailing chuds and millionaire boomers to commit suicide.

I guess, really, that makes me just as toxic and awful as anyone else in the TRUNP thread, and I only cling to things like "facts" and "nuance" and "hope" because it's how I justify to myself how thoroughly poisoned I truly am.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

1,400 words to explain why i'm not paying this bill lol

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
found out my sister had a dna test done to find out what sort of antidepressants were incredibly likely to trigger a gene-drug interaction.

and all the ones that she had been on previously were in the 'significant' or 'moderate' gene-drug interaction boxes.

it's a bit steep ($300), but it sounds like it'd be worth it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I guess, really, that makes me just as toxic and awful as anyone else in the TRUNP thread, and I only cling to things like "facts" and "nuance" and "hope" because it's how I justify to myself how thoroughly poisoned I truly am.

it's possible to feel both emotions at the same time op

also I'm going to break with my usual neutral evenhanded (LOL LMAO) thread moderation over this

there is nothing morally wrong with schadenfreude involving horrible people who have done really horrible things, and anyone who would freak out over rolling back the really heinous poo poo that's been done and replacing it with good, cool things that benefit society deserve every bit of howling rage hell they've trapped themselves in. it is possible to have compassion for them—imagine what past must have been like in order to get to that sort of state—but it requires a much bigger heart and mental fortitude than I have. every trump voter can drop dead tomorrow and the world will be a massively better place, they knew exactly what they were getting when they pulled the lever and autofailed the Decent Human Being test

you have to find something meaningful tho or it will gnaw on you until there's nothing left. I'll repost LG's quote from the OP because I think it's a really good time for it

Lastgirl posted:

I stopped going online for a while, I turned off the news and it really helped my perspective tremendously.

When you're constantly seeing the worst of humanity piped into your eyeballs from a bright white screen, it can be really detrimental because you start to think that everyone is a massive piece of poo poo playing a zero sum game.

While there are literal sociopaths in the highest seats of power around the globe, it feels like an abstraction when you dealing with the daily minutiae of your lives, especially with school, work and other obligations.

Of course it doesn't mean you should ignore the system, and in fact being active about the news is important to make informed decisions. It's key to go outside because you can engage with communities and make an impact where you can, when you can. Doing so will absolutely improve your state of mind. It's about striking a balance, and if you truly feel passionate about an issue, you should act on it in some way or manner, even down to the smallest tiniest contribution, because it absolutely matters. You don't have to lead the charge on everything.

There will be times where it is tough and it can feel hopeless, that's just the nature of our emotions. It ebbs and flows, as long as you remember that it is temporary and you can focus on the things that truly matter to you and are important to your values, as long as you remain honest to yourself. Be sure to always ask "Why am I being affected by this?" and open a more objective dialogue mentally rather than being critical of yourself. It takes practice do to this but it helps in the long run. If that doesn't work, talk to someone.

Processes like these take time.

Lastly, I'd like to say that it is important to carve out a little time for yourself, only just for yourself. Away from the internet, away from everything else. Just you and yourself alone. For example, I decided to do something new lately and that was to learn how to dance salsa and bachata. It keeps me sane, for real.

It's really the small things that make the biggest difference, and that should not be underestimated because it compounds. So if you are struggling, try to do something small. I wish you well in your endeavors.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so this isn't related to politics or me really but I need help with a friend who i'm p sure has depression

she was let go at the job i'm at about 6 months ago and has been on unemployment since. her monetary situation is not great, and she's stressed about that among other things

she's working on submitting a patent, and her native tongue is chinese so I've been helping her proofread her english before she submits it to her lawyer

thing is though, she's becoming more and more distraught. she has to have the patent done now she says. people are waiting on it. we're nearly done with it, and i'm p sure we could finish the proofreading tonight if we really work hard on it. the problem is, she's not sleeping well and is constantly thinking about this patent. last night she stayed up and checked the chinese vs the english instead of sleeping. she's constantly telling me how guilty she feels that she's taken so long on this patent, etc. etc.

i'm p certain she's entering a depressive state and this obsession with this patent is just a symptom. a couple of weeks ago i helped her proofread a conference presentation, and like with this she was becoming anxious and distraught (though that had a defined date it needed to be done by). last night she texted me cause she couldn't sleep cause she had a vague feeling of stress.

any suggestions for how I can help her? i'm trying to get her to calm down, and I'm worried that by helping her with this patent again today I'm just feeding a negative obsession for her (since, the more she works on it the more she worries and is anxious about it). worse, I do not know if actually finishing the patent will lift her out of this anxiety. also, me helping her more than she helps me makes her feel guilty and I think that's making things harder on her.

I could really use some help with this if anyone has some suggestions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
about a couple weeks ago or less someone in here did a long post talking about cbt and eventually getting to the behaviours lead the way for attitudes thing anyway I wanted to say thanks to whoever that was because it's been helping me make progress

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

so this isn't related to politics or me really but I need help with a friend who i'm p sure has depression

she was let go at the job i'm at about 6 months ago and has been on unemployment since. her monetary situation is not great, and she's stressed about that among other things

she's working on submitting a patent, and her native tongue is chinese so I've been helping her proofread her english before she submits it to her lawyer

thing is though, she's becoming more and more distraught. she has to have the patent done now she says. people are waiting on it. we're nearly done with it, and i'm p sure we could finish the proofreading tonight if we really work hard on it. the problem is, she's not sleeping well and is constantly thinking about this patent. last night she stayed up and checked the chinese vs the english instead of sleeping. she's constantly telling me how guilty she feels that she's taken so long on this patent, etc. etc.

i'm p certain she's entering a depressive state and this obsession with this patent is just a symptom. a couple of weeks ago i helped her proofread a conference presentation, and like with this she was becoming anxious and distraught (though that had a defined date it needed to be done by). last night she texted me cause she couldn't sleep cause she had a vague feeling of stress.

any suggestions for how I can help her? i'm trying to get her to calm down, and I'm worried that by helping her with this patent again today I'm just feeding a negative obsession for her (since, the more she works on it the more she worries and is anxious about it). worse, I do not know if actually finishing the patent will lift her out of this anxiety. also, me helping her more than she helps me makes her feel guilty and I think that's making things harder on her.

I could really use some help with this if anyone has some suggestions

I sort of wonder what else is going on in her life. I assume you've been reassuring her, what sorts of things have you tried?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RandomPauI posted:

I sort of wonder what else is going on in her life. I assume you've been reassuring her, what sorts of things have you tried?

so right now she's feeling useless and worthless since I'm doing all the proofreading on my own (i check with her to make sure I have the right meaning of things, etc). I've tried reminding her that she wrote all of this stuff and even if her english isn't perfect it's a ton of good work and i'm just polishing it a bit. last night I tried walking her through our day today to try to get her to realize that things aren't so dire. i tried talking about us doing things after (she won't do anything not patent-related till it's done) to get her mind off it a bit, etc. this downturn is a bit new. i said before she was showing a lot of anxiety with the presentation i helped her with, but nothing as bad as this

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Condiv posted:

so right now she's feeling useless and worthless since I'm doing all the proofreading on my own (i check with her to make sure I have the right meaning of things, etc). I've tried reminding her that she wrote all of this stuff and even if her english isn't perfect it's a ton of good work and i'm just polishing it a bit. last night I tried walking her through our day today to try to get her to realize that things aren't so dire. i tried talking about us doing things after (she won't do anything not patent-related till it's done) to get her mind off it a bit, etc. this downturn is a bit new. i said before she was showing a lot of anxiety with the presentation i helped her with, but nothing as bad as this

two things here

one while it won’t address the underlying anxiety disorder finishing the patent will take some mental pressure off. I’m wondering what her background and relationship with her parents are bc Asian culture often has a lot of BOOTSTRAPS involved when it comes to mental health. I’m not sure whether or not it’s gotten better and I’m working off outdated stereotypes but I have some Vietnamese friends where it’s still very much a problem

two, and this is the really difficult part, you can’t fix your friend’s problems singlehandedly. you can and should provide support, lend a sympathetic ear, and encourage her to get help—repeatedly, so long as it’s not going to piss her off and have the opposite effect. even helping her on her patent is great. but, and this is absolute murder, she has to confront her issues herself. you can’t fix or take the burden from her. if you try you will ruin yourself.

it’s not selfish to reserve some time and breathing room for yourself. no one gets helped if you try to shoulder two peoples burdens and implode

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chokes McGee posted:

two things here

one while it won’t address the underlying anxiety disorder finishing the patent will take some mental pressure off. I’m wondering what her background and relationship with her parents are bc Asian culture often has a lot of BOOTSTRAPS involved when it comes to mental health. I’m not sure whether or not it’s gotten better and I’m working off outdated stereotypes but I have some Vietnamese friends where it’s still very much a problem

two, and this is the really difficult part, you can’t fix your friend’s problems singlehandedly. you can and should provide support, lend a sympathetic ear, and encourage her to get help—repeatedly, so long as it’s not going to piss her off and have the opposite effect. even helping her on her patent is great. but, and this is absolute murder, she has to confront her issues herself. you can’t fix or take the burden from her. if you try you will ruin yourself.

it’s not selfish to reserve some time and breathing room for yourself. no one gets helped if you try to shoulder two peoples burdens and implode

I’ve already prepared to stay with her today till we finish proofreading the patent. hopefully that will help. she’s mentioned that in China you’re considered a loser if you’re over 30 and not married and that she’s used to being a loser. maybe that’s layering on top of everything else, but I thought she was at peace with that

as for taking time for myself, I plan to after this patent. hopefully everything will be all right

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
that 30 thing is bs, tell her to stay here where we're not as jerky about that
also go for a jog outside, get that runner high to feel better

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

got any sevens posted:

that 30 thing is bs, tell her to stay here where we're not as jerky about that
also go for a jog outside, get that runner high to feel better

she already exercises 2-3 times a week with a physical trainer and hates life each time

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Condiv posted:

she already exercises 2-3 times a week with a physical trainer and hates life each time

sounds like she might not be doing exercise she actually enjoys / that supports improved mood

lots of research that exercise is natures anti-depressant and can actually have more efficacy than anti-depressants

The best exercise plan is one that you enjoy and will/want to do. If it is becoming a chore maybe time to branch out and try a new thing. Doesn't have to be in the gym. Jogging, hiking, intermural sports, power lifting, bike riding whatever. the most effective exercise plan is one you will actually do

I love walking on the beach. I also love lifting weights. Whenever I am at a beach house or something like that I love to go out and pick up and throw driftwood. It is also fun for me if I am camping near body of water to go and pick up and throw heavy rocks. Just examples of how varied and non-gym orientated exercise can be

EmbryoSteve has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Apr 6, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Toxic shame is a killer, I don't know what resources there are about it in Chinese but there's plenty in English. It won't give her an immediate fix or an answer, but maybe it'll help once she can identify the problem for what it is.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
this patent sounds fishy too. did her parents convince her it would make her a millionaire and solve her problems? she might be pinning too many hopes on it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

this patent sounds fishy too.

username/post

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m taking some time off work to participate in an anxiety treatment program next week. I’m hoping it helps since it’s not a general wellness program like the one I went to last year.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mill Village posted:

I’m taking some time off work to participate in an anxiety treatment program next week. I’m hoping it helps since it’s not a general wellness program like the one I went to last year.

gl op, let us know how it goes :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

juche avocado posted:

lol same and i kind of low key hate my stepmom. in retrospect it's actually pretty amazing how much she's done to gently caress with my mental health

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
never be afraid of failure. failure isn't an option; it's a prerequisite. whether it's you or someone in yr life, failure will happen.

sincerely, a failure

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

never be afraid of failure. failure isn't an option; it's a prerequisite. whether it's you or someone in yr life, failure will happen.

sincerely, a failure

everyone remembers their successes but nobody remembers how much they learned when they hosed up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

got any sevens posted:

this patent sounds fishy too. did her parents convince her it would make her a millionaire and solve her problems? she might be pinning too many hopes on it

maybe. dunno. I just got done working on it with her. the first proofreading is almost done and I had her promise me she won’t touch it again tonight and we’ll work on it tomorrow

she seems to be in better spirits and I think she’ll be fine tonight but we’ll see

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SHVPS4DETH posted:

sincerely, a failure

Can't learn without failing, I've learned a lot.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

everyone remembers their successes but nobody remembers how much they learned when they hosed up

I ruminate on my failures constantly, tyvm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dave Grool posted:

I ruminate on my failures constantly, tyvm

seriously, every time my girlfriend asks “how was your day?” a parade of fuckups marches into my brain demanding attention

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
go see Shazam

it will cheer you up

seriously he’s literally a goon superhero, if one of us got superpowers we’d be him

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I don't have any specific advice, but I just wanted to say that you're a very kind and supportive friend. You're really going above and beyond to help someone who, in addition to all the stress about the patent, sounds like she might be feeling a little out of place in a foreign country. However, please keep what Chokes said in mind and make sure to take care of yourself as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

go see Shazam

it will cheer you up

seriously he’s literally a goon superhero, if one of us got superpowers we’d be him

literally first scene in present day after the prologue is the lil dude before getting powers loving over a cop, locking him in a pawn shop and stealing his lunch

goon 10/10 movie

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Speaking of superheroes, I think Robert Smith counts, and he's very relevant to this thread.

https://twitter.com/_hidingwithboys/status/1111780091477016583

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
welp stumbled across a gamefaqs post talking about my FFL LP and apparently I was completely wrong about saga permadeath so now I am shamed forever and always

sry everyone