Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Impermanent posted:

I just...how does your definition of casual include a static at all? At that point you're talking about scheduling at least one night a week for [videogame]. You'd have to tell people you know in real life "I have to [play videogame] that night, can't make it to your concert." You'd have to actively say "oh I'm not free Tuesday, that's the day when my catgirl dies repeatedly to a scary clown."

There are casual statics. They cancel nights due to prior plans, people pass out before raid time, etc. The line in the sand between casual and midcore is the flexibility and willingness of a group to agree to a 3rd day a week to get over a hump or figure out what the hell is going on in a fight.

This tier was pretty rough from what I’ve seen people say. A lot of midcore groups just exploded at O10S and disbanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sucks for them. o11s was dope as hell.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's not bad [on controller], tbh. SAM otoh... :suicide:

I play SAM on a controller and love the poo poo out of it. A lot of it has to do with how you have your hotkeys set up. I don't have any screenshots saved for this occasion, but if you set your hotkeys up to mimic the Midare Setsugekka structure, that solves any confusion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got DRK 70 a couple hours ago. The writers did pretty good this time too :unsmith:

now to make a complete rear end in a top hat of myself trying to tank at level cap again :shepicide:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's not bad, tbh. SAM otoh... :suicide:

idk i play mnk on a controller and it rules

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

oh do you mean the book full of solo ex challenges cos queuing for things is lame when you can just kill it by yourself?

I do it through PF because it only takes a couple minutes and sometimes I get free poetics :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Grimace posted:

I play SAM on a controller and love the poo poo out of it. A lot of it has to do with how you have your hotkeys set up. I don't have any screenshots saved for this occasion, but if you set your hotkeys up to mimic the Midare Setsugekka structure, that solves any confusion.

Oh, not saying it can't be done, but holy hell does it require a lot more hand work than my other classes.

Phone posted:

idk i play mnk on a controller and it rules

Only gotten to 50 on MNK, haven't settled on a layout yet. I'll be back some day.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
When did this midcore term even become a thing? This is like the first time I've ever heard it even being considered a sect of playerbase since '96. Is this just another way people are saying "casual hardcore raiding"?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Midcore is JRPG hobby-grade coop raids genre-blended multi-mode competitive e-sports meta-growth choice + epic Heroes of Light!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ciaphas posted:

Got DRK 70 a couple hours ago. The writers did pretty good this time too :unsmith:

now to make a complete rear end in a top hat of myself trying to tank at level cap again :shepicide:

It's ok. You're still a good person.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Givin posted:

When did this midcore term even become a thing? This is like the first time I've ever heard it even being considered a sect of playerbase since '96. Is this just another way people are saying "casual hardcore raiding"?

the breakdown was given earlier...

casual: meets a few hours a week for 1 or 2 days, not super serious about min/maxing and spending all day on the balance pouring over potency formulas
midcore: meets 2 or 3 days a week, will prioritize clears and will be serious about time commitment (i.e. - will tell coworkers or friends that they have prior plans if invited out for drinks), they'll get stuck on content but will be able to clear it before the next major point patch
hardcore: takes vacation time off of work to figure out all of the fights week of release to grind it out, interested in the world first race, will raid every day in order to get clears

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I think when someone else gets to tell you when you need to log on and do something, you're no longer casual.

Midcore just means you're not very successful at whatever they tell you to log on and do.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone ever hear of cancelling a SE account? A buddy of mine said he wanted to cancel his sub until Shadowbringers and accidentally cancelled the account instead. I didn't know that could be a thing.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think when someone else gets to tell you when you need to log on and do something, you're no longer casual.

I think the big misconception here is that "casual" in this context refers to "casual raider", not a casual player of the game overall.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Quite simply, midcore as a term exists because there's a pretty wide gulf between the casual-est of casual raiders and the hardest of hardcore, and a lot of people occupy a spot somewhere in between for most of their raiding career. In general, midcore raiders want to clear content and are willing to devote some time to make that happen, but not to the same degree as world first clearers or gold parse hunters (either because they just aren't quite that good or they have too many other time commitments to spend time gitting gud in a catgirl simulator).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just call it parentcore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Should I bother getting to end game crafting with SB2 coming out so soon? I don't remember how long ironworks lasted going from HW to SB1.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ironworks could carry you to 65 at least ,maybe even to 70 if you melded it.

It's your money, but I personally like not having to micromanage five sets of leveling equipment when I started working on my crafters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is there a newbie guide to profession jobs? I’m a newbie and it looks like all gibberish to me when I look at leveling guides.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Oh.

I always just called that group "raiders". You either raided or you didn't. Nowadays it seems dudes are broken down into phylum and species like plants or insects.

I'll roll with it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Is there a newbie guide to profession jobs? I’m a newbie and it looks like all gibberish to me when I look at leveling guides.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/aabzbz/beginners_job_overview_selection_guide/

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Givin posted:

Oh.

I always just called that group "raiders". You either raided or you didn't. Nowadays it seems dudes are broken down into phylum and species like plants or insects.

I'll roll with it.

biological terms are appropriate, both the process of speciation and the process of raiding generally involve reproductive isolation :eng101:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thanks that’s pretty useful but I’m mostly talking about crafting. Guess I shoulda been clearer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Givin posted:

Oh.

I'll roll with it.

Mostly to make it easier for raid groups to form. If all you say is "hi I want to raid" then you wind up with a bunch of people with wildly different skill level, availability, goals, and personality. Then it falls apart immediately and everybody feels like their time has been wasted. So, PF basically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Quite simply, midcore as a term exists because there's a pretty wide gulf between the casual-est of casual raiders and the hardest of hardcore, and a lot of people occupy a spot somewhere in between for most of their raiding career. In general, midcore raiders want to clear content and are willing to devote some time to make that happen, but not to the same degree as world first clearers or gold parse hunters (either because they just aren't quite that good or they have too many other time commitments to spend time gitting gud in a catgirl simulator).

Or for people like me, it's not as much about not having the time to play, but being unwilling to schedule my play time. Even if I knew I'd have the free time every Tuesday night or whatever, I don't really like scheduling when I play a game--it turns it into an obligation. Maybe this sounds stupid, but I know other people end up feeling the same way and never join a static as a result.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think of playing a scheduled time once a week the same as having a board game night or any other weekly thing you schedule because it makes it more convenient for everyone. The weird part of this conversation is assuming people who do that are like, not actually having fun or aren't doing a thing they want to do. Like you have to give up a portion of your Fun Time to do it, instead of thinking about raiding itself as just a different thing to do that is fun.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

only casuals play for "fun"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m bad at scheduling stuff like board game nights too so checks out

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vitamean posted:

but I personally like not having to micromanage five sets of leveling equipment when I started working on my crafters.

Welp

*looks up whats needed to craft onishi gear*

*sighs and draws katana*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I think of playing a scheduled time once a week the same as having a board game night or any other weekly thing you schedule because it makes it more convenient for everyone. The weird part of this conversation is assuming people who do that are like, not actually having fun or aren't doing a thing they want to do. Like you have to give up a portion of your Fun Time to do it, instead of thinking about raiding itself as just a different thing to do that is fun.

Oh yeah, for sure. I absolutely acknowledge that it's fun for some people. Scheduling my video games time just isn't For Me. I do like raiding when I can do it, and I like the concept of it, I just generally have trouble with it turning into an "obligation" for me. I don't think that's how it is for everyone or even for the majority of MMO players, really, just kinda my own thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Givin posted:

Oh.

I'll roll with it.

It's crazy I know, that these hyoomons would use short hand phrases to communicate how much time and effort they have in their lives to allocate towards raiding. :v:

Countblanc posted:

Raiding is a lot more work than board game night. Which is why a lot of people resent how it turns into an obligation. It's different for everyone whether the activity itself, and the social group you raid with, are entertaining enough to justify putting an obligation like that in your life.

I used to do it, can't do it anymore. Feels like an imposition and I just come to resent both the game and my raid group over time :shrug:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Thundarr posted:

Mostly to make it easier for raid groups to form. If all you say is "hi I want to raid" then you wind up with a bunch of people with wildly different skill level, availability, goals, and personality. Then it falls apart immediately and everybody feels like their time has been wasted. So, PF basically.

This is important because as mentioned, you’l get people with similar expectations.

When I used to raid, it was a 2-3 hour, 2 days a week kind of affair. Everyone wanted to clear, and always did well before the next major raid patch, but we weren’t willing to kill ourselves to do it. Everyone was expected to learn their rotations and handle mechanics in a reasonable amount of time, but not to the point of MLG Pro Gamer FFLogs type of poo poo. Raid dates were a commitment sure, but certain dates (Fridays and Saturdays usually) were off limits because we still wanted social lives.

But on occasion, if we did bad, 9am “Punishment Sundays” was a thing and no one wanted that

The other main thing is to make sure you’re having fun, not just working a side job essentially

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Leal posted:

Welp

*looks up whats needed to craft onishi gear*

*sighs and draws katana*

it's pretty cheap on the MB, full set for about 2-3 mil?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the other thing is that board game night or tabletop RPG night is me hanging out with my friends in person, which is a different thing than playing with people I sorta only know through an MMO. I actually wish I was able to get over that hangup because I think I'd enjoy doing savage raiding in FFXIV, but it just doesn't really work for me and ends up feeling like "ugh, I 'have' to play FFXIV tonight" instead of just kicking back and logging on to play a game.

So I generally stick to more casual/normal-mode stuff as a result. I'm the kind of player who'd love to be able to just jump in on an alt run and things like that--I don't really care if I get all the savage mode gear, I'm just happy to come along and try my best when there's room for me. But since that doesn't happen super often, I just have fun with the stuff I can do without needing (or seriously wanting) a static.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Raiding is a lot more work than board game night. Which is why a lot of people resent how it turns into an obligation. It's different for everyone whether the activity itself, and the social group you raid with, are entertaining enough to justify putting an obligation like that in your life.

I used to do it, can't do it anymore. Feels like an imposition and I just come to resent both the game and my raid group over time :shrug:

This is why I stopped raiding in WoW. There were a group of us who did all the necessary work outside of raid-hours to make sure we were geared to the nines with all the requisite consumables and strategies and such, but we didn't have enough people to fill ranks, so we joined with a smaller group of one or two hardcore raiders and their hangers on who just wanted to see content. Slowly that second group grew larger and larger and it felt like I was busting my rear end to contribute 100% with little to no recognition/reward.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Givin posted:

Oh.

I'll roll with it.

World War Mammories posted:

only casuals play for "fun"

Everyone that plays more than me is too hardcore. Everyone that plays less is a loving casual.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I know right? There are actually people who don't raid. It is embarrassing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The "filthy casuals" thing was a joke folks. I really don't care if you raid or not.

Impermanent posted:

I just...how does your definition of casual include a static at all? At that point you're talking about scheduling at least one night a week for [videogame]. You'd have to tell people you know in real life "I have to [play videogame] that night, can't make it to your concert." You'd have to actively say "oh I'm not free Tuesday, that's the day when my catgirl dies repeatedly to a scary clown."

Because there are casual statics :shrug:

Even for the midcore groups I've been in there isn't a problem if you occasionally miss a night.

Impermanent posted:

Your second lowest point on that list is the point at which strangers think you have a problem.

I don't do hardcore raiding, but in general strangers can go gently caress themselves :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just want 4 player content that's EX difficulty or higher, is all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I just want 4 player content that's EX difficulty or higher, is all...
I think this is just swinging.