Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

DS2 is widely considered the worst in the series
And I agree, however, "worst game in the very good dark souls series" is very different from "pure trash"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
By that standard, all video games are pure trash, which is an objectively true statement.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not really no

ds2 is a good game despite some lame bosses/how ugly forest of fallen giants is/the deadzone issue which is fixable
if you don't think so your standards are highly inflated

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
If DS2 had covenant reward requirements halved and an infinite Red Eye Orb (that could also be obtained somewhat early), it'd be perfect.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ok, so I restarted and went one step less boring than Long Sword Faith Paladin. I took an Assassin and went Vigor/Dex. I'm doing most of the work with Uchi and sometimes I'm getting an assist from Magic Weapon or a Fire Whip. I'm currently exploring Farron Keep and finding lots of cool stuff like Pharis' Bow. I really want to use all 3 of these weapons in tandem, but I have a feeling that this won't work out over the long haul. A Sword + Bow setup with Magic Infusion will be pretty cool I guess tho. I also am really liking my Lothric Knight Leggings + OG Pyro Gear + Katana + Bow look.

Anyways, I helped this turtle dude in my castle fort thing and after he died i turned into motherfucking beef jerky. Why do I look like beef jerky? How do I not look like beef jerky? Beef jerky.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

anothergod posted:

Ok, so I restarted and went one step less boring than Long Sword Faith Paladin. I took an Assassin and went Vigor/Dex. I'm doing most of the work with Uchi and sometimes I'm getting an assist from Magic Weapon or a Fire Whip. I'm currently exploring Farron Keep and finding lots of cool stuff like Pharis' Bow. I really want to use all 3 of these weapons in tandem, but I have a feeling that this won't work out over the long haul. A Sword + Bow setup with Magic Infusion will be pretty cool I guess tho. I also am really liking my Lothric Knight Leggings + OG Pyro Gear + Katana + Bow look.

Anyways, I helped this turtle dude in my castle fort thing and after he died i turned into motherfucking beef jerky. Why do I look like beef jerky? How do I not look like beef jerky? Beef jerky.

Purging stones for a temp solution and giving a special item (in firelink shrine) and a shitload of souls (that scales with your level maybe) to the firekeeper for a permanent one

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Perfect Potato posted:

Purging stones for a temp solution and giving a special item (in firelink shrine) and a shitload of souls (that scales with your level maybe) to the firekeeper for a permanent one

That said, being beef jerky has almost zero negative gameplay impact short of looking like beef jerky.

Also, beef jerky looks can be mitigated via the right fashion choices.

And it opens up an ending you otherwise won't be able to get.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 5, 2019

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You can buy one of the Rings from Yuria. She should show up, now that turtleman's purpose is fulfilled.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Sulyvahn was a big road block for me on my first character that used a big sword and dodge rolled, only took me a few tries on my second character that used pyromancy and parrying. He's a good boss imo

Thinking about playing through again with a Dex build after completing Sekiro.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just summoned dudes for pontiff. gently caress that

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pontiff is arguably the only boss that actually gets easier after the halfway point because he (usually) repeats whatever his clone does a second later so it's very easy to get a bunch of free hits on him if you exploit that.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Another example of how mind-numbingly stupid this game is sometimes: just defeated Aldritch, got teleported to that old church or whatever. I see no bonfire in front of me (and honestly can't remember where it is in that area) so I'm about to wander out but I see this woman on the ground and I talk to her. Imagine my happiness in knowing that I am now instantly hosed out of 50k souls because another boss immediately appears.

50k isn't that much at this point of the game but the stupidity of it all annoys the gently caress out of me.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You can still Homeward Bone?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can quit or bone out of a boss fight

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can also just pick up your bloodstain

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Promethium posted:

You can still Homeward Bone?

Thanks guys but it's too late now, didn't even know I could use it in a boss fight, and even if I did I didn't have the item in my quick rotation so I probably would've been killed before using it.

No big deal but lol nice piece of game design by From btw. No bonfire right after a boss, and no indication at all of what would've happened if I talked to the woman. Funny thing is I only did it because I thought she would've commented on Aldritch or told me why the hell I got tped there.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

you can also just pick up your bloodstain

EDIT: I suppose I can get in and use homeward. still loving stupid

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 5, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dancer isn't that hard, picking up the bloodstain is easy, 50k souls doesn't matter much.

it's not that big a deal, my friend.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

dancer isn't that hard, picking up the bloodstain is easy, 50k souls doesn't matter much.

it's not that big a deal, my friend.

It's not but it's annoying when a game breaks its own rules.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

For future reference you can fight Dancer at any time prior to Aldrich by just killing the old lady if you ever decide to rip that bandaid off early.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

And Tyler Too! posted:

For future reference you can fight Dancer at any time prior to Aldrich by just killing the old lady if you ever decide to rip that bandaid off early.

Oh ok that's interesting. My first run in any From game is always completely blind but in case I'll want to plat this it's good to know.

EDIT: lol just killed the Dancer on my 3rd try, felt kind of lucky but I'll take it. I guess finally my ridiculous Dex glass cannon build paid off. 36 dex, 20 vigor coming through

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Have fun storming the castle

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

DS2 is widely considered the worst in the series

By idiots, yes.

Ds2 is the best in the series, including BB.

B team = Best team. Deal with it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

fargom posted:

By idiots, yes.

This man gets it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I follow all the Souls game threads except Bloodbourne and it seems like there's always a DS2 is bad/good discussion going on in at least one of them at any given time.

DS2 is okay.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Tallgeese posted:

This man gets it.

Can you explain why? Does it involve hacking by any chance? I have a feeling it might involve hacking for some reason

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Soul Reaver posted:

some things it does better than any other DS in the series
Which things would those be, in your opinion? I'm kind of curious.

Soul Reaver posted:

better equipment 'balance' than DS1 or 3
I distinctly remember switching to a mace four or so bosses into the game and suddenly doing like three times more damage per hit to basically everything, so you might have to explain that a little.

IronicDongz posted:

ds2 is a good game despite some lame bosses/how ugly forest of fallen giants is/the deadzone issue which is fixable
if you don't think so your standards are highly inflated
If you look at it in a vacuum, DS2 is a perfectly adequate action-RPG. If you look at it as the direct sequel to Dark Souls 1, it's kind of awful.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

I follow all the Souls game threads except Bloodbourne and it seems like there's always a DS2 is bad/good discussion going on in at least one of them at any given time.

DS2 is okay.

I think "pure trash" was an exaggeration on my part but I really don't think it's okay. Multiplayer wise it's probably the most interesting souls game, single player it's the worst by miles. It felt like a lazy DS with way too many terrible bosses and areas. Area transitions were also weird and super jarring. Music was mediocre at best, I can't remember a single boss theme that stood out.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Kawabata posted:

I think "pure trash" was an exaggeration on my part but I really don't think it's okay. Multiplayer wise it's probably the most interesting souls game, single player it's the worst by miles. It felt like a lazy DS with way too many terrible bosses and areas. Area transitions were also weird and super jarring. Music was mediocre at best, I can't remember a single boss theme that stood out.

It's okay because the DLC offers some interesting boss fights and Ilyum Loyce is a cool area. The base game is bad though. I enjoyed the novelty in the early areas up through Lost Bastille. After that, the main game pretty much sucks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fargom posted:

By idiots, yes.

is that why instead of a cool, thematic final boss fight it has a lady who means nothing to the player wearing a cheap hr giger knockoff halloween costume made out of rubber

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

is that why instead of a cool, thematic final boss fight it has a lady who means nothing to the player wearing a cheap hr giger knockoff halloween costume made out of rubber

Nashandra was referenced to throughout the game along with the king. The worst thing about her is that the fight is so easy. I think I beat her on the first try in my first run through DS2, which was also my first ever souls game. Of course I probably summoned some people.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
As opposed to say Soul of Cinder, or whatever the DS3 boss was called? DeS, DaS, and Borne do a better job of it I agree.

But I agree that DS2 is the worst, if only because they introduced such a stat tax to make the roll good. I could of also have done with a few less bosses of "here's a guy" and instead had more fantastical ones.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nashandra was referenced to throughout the game along with the king. The worst thing about her is that the fight is so easy. I think I beat her on the first try in my first run through DS2, which was also my first ever souls game. Of course I probably summoned some people.

She was referenced, but you had no reason to care about her. The dialog in Drangleic didn't do enough work there.

I killed her my first time after doing Watcher/Defender, Nashandra, and Aldia all in one go. I had NPCs. It was a joke.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

As opposed to say Soul of Cinder, or whatever the DS3 boss was called?

Durr, what significance does a dude representing the cycle of linking the fire have in a game about how the cycle of linking the fire needs to end, durr

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hackan Slash posted:

As opposed to say Soul of Cinder, or whatever the DS3 boss was called? DeS, DaS, and Borne do a better job of it I agree.
Soul of Cinder is cool. The moveset swapping because he's the embodiment of everyone who's linked the flame is cool and the fight is engaging, unlike nashandra who only has like. 2 attacks

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nashandra was referenced to throughout the game along with the king.
that doesn't make her cool or interesting. the intro cinematic made gwyn cool and then meeting a sad decrepit hollow version of him at the end is excellent, and bolstered further by the excellent musical theme. what reason do I have to care about nashandra? all she does is tell you there can only be one monarch aka kill the old one, and then later shows up in a bad outfit.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I thought she was interesting.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The plot in DS2 is bad but that's not a deal breaker. The writers fell into the "convoluted = cool" trap, but some of that is from the troubled development. Video game stories don't really matter, the setting and background and atmosphere is what does, and that's plenty cool in DS2. ADP and the hollowing mechanic and any other small details behind the RPG system don't really matter either, just put points into ADP or wear the ring of binding or whatever, it's fine. The overall RPG systems are fantastic and probably the best in all of the souls games.

None of that makes up for the fact that the game feels like poo poo to control and play compared to the others. I don't care how many different options I have for what stats to put and what weapons and infusions and spells to use, when moving feels like poo poo, your animations feel like poo poo, the enemies' animations are difficult to read. There's a reason why nobody ever defends DS2's actual action gameplay, only the RPG aspects.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only part of DS2 that I thought was really cool was the Burnt Ivory King fight. The rest ranged from "eh" to "this is bad".

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would rather play 2 over 1 these days and it is 100% down to the gameplay feel. Obviously it's subjective but I'm fine dealing with minor annoyances in gameplay rather than feeling like I'm trudging through molasses even on a fast character throughout 1 again.

Also the enemy animations aren't any more difficult to read than any other Soulsborne game and while I get that people dislike the spin in place tracking thing enemies started doing there, guess what's been happening in every From game since, including Bloodborne the once and future king.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've never played Bloodborne but I don't think enemies do it in DS3 much? Or nearly as much as DS2. In DS3 they just have a lot of attacks that hit behind them, which is how circle strafing should be handled. I've played DeS and DS1 so much that they're comfort food at this point and I have them memorized, so it's hard to make a fair comparison. But in both of those games I never feel like I'm wrestling with the controls. But I've played DS3 the least, and I don't feel like I'm wrestling with the controls there, either. It's the most difficult for me, but I never feel like I am unable to get my character to do what I wanted -- I feel like I made the incorrect decision or failed to make one fast enough. In DS2, I do feel like I can't get the character to do what I want. The timing on the attacks feel weird, and it's literally impossible to make your character run at certain angles to the camera because of the dead zones. That last part is loving inexcusable. Who thought it was a good idea?