Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I like how the one way Amethyst managed to successfully make Titania the slightest bit likable was by having her realize her pretend girlfriend was so much more hosed up of a person than her that keeping the facade up was an incredibly bad idea.

And yeah this isn’t proper depression. This is an insanely hosed up world view crossed with self-loathing and psychopathic tendencies. Amaria is so completely and utterly broken as a human being that she can actually understand how you, her planned murder victim, feel about her (I.e just stop talking and let me beat you in a battle so I can get your badge and TM and get the gently caress out of here forever before you try murdering me again) and legit not give a single drat about it in the slightest because it was your fault she lost Titania again rather than her own.. But it isn’t depression

Horray for Amaria being such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat that she managed to slam directly to the bottom of the least likable person chart! Legit my biggest surprise was that Raven actually did get the badge, I’d assume she would have refused to give it to us on spite.

Also two additional points
1. Glad to see the relaxing Julia from the “deal with it” room again and that she has the only actual reasonable reaction to Reborn’s garbage plot: sit back, relax, and laugh at how stupid everything is now
2. It’s almost over holy gently caress just one more episode of this trash and then OFS is free from this terrible garbage until the actual ending comes out some time in 2020!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nihilarian posted:

luv 2 get monologued at underwater

Insert image of Amaria expelling a huge cloud of bubbles, shouting BLUBLUBLUBLUB, and Raven just squinting, like, "what."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Each bubble needs to be popped to be heard. Raven's response after seeing that cloud is four. "That's too many words."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m fully expecting that there’s going to be a moment where you use Rock Climb to advance the plot... And halfway up, it fails, you go tumbling back down, and find that all of your mons over 85 are disobedient just AFTER you got locked into a point of no return.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Regalingualius posted:

I’m fully expecting that there’s going to be a moment where you use Rock Climb to advance the plot... And halfway up, it fails, you go tumbling back down, and find that all of your mons over 85 are disobedient just AFTER you got locked into a point of no return.

Now now, this isn't KH3 Arendelle.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I've heard Amaria's condition unofficially described as manic depression a few times, but the thing about manic depression is that it's typically categorized by lasting over longer periods of time and doesn't match a lot of her symptoms.

My whole thing is that even though it's understandable it still feels like a bad misrepresentation of mental illness painting those who suffer from it as violent and psychopathic - even though there's no such thing as psychopathy in psychiatry. The response to the route split was not "wow, I totally emote deeply with this character in their struggles" but that she's crazy and wants to murder you. Which doesn't make it deep or mature, but that's not surprising considering a its reborn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mega64 posted:

Pokemon Reborn: gently caress you. No, but seriously though. gently caress you. gently caress this. This sucks. I hate this. Everything about this is the worst. gently caress this. This is terrible. Both of these lovely people deserve each other. I absolutely hate this. Everything about this complete and utter garbage is the actual loving worst, eat poo poo. Every development of this garbage plotline is somehow even more the worst than the entire rest of it. I absolutely despise this.

Crow, I don't care if it's too long. Do the needful :colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

totally with julia not caring about their relationship drama

Remember when the thread thought Julia was insufferable?

halcyon days

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Insert image of Amaria expelling a huge cloud of bubbles, shouting BLUBLUBLUBLUB, and Raven just squinting, like, "what."

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Magnificent. Thank you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Julia thus far making the best choice vis-a-vis Titania and Amaria; let them destroy themselves because they're both horrendous human beings.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Julia only likes explosions when they happen in Reborn, where all the ensuing suffering is justified.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gotta be honest, I kind of dig the butterfly effect where sparing your least offensive enemy leads to your most offensive ally murdering them, which leads to them reevaluating all the lovely choices that led them there, which causes a rift in their grossly abusive codependent relationship, driving their partner to attempt to murder you.

Each individually part ranges from stupid to straight up offensive, but the actual chain of events could have been downright good in a non-awful story, which is well above the bar normally set by Reborn. Plus, until they inevitably show up in the next plot instalment, we can pretend Raven has actual agency and cut ties with both of them for good.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bloodly posted:

Each bubble needs to be popped to be heard. Raven's response after seeing that cloud is four. "That's too many words."

:abrathink: Do contractions get one bubble, two bubbles, or one of those double bubble things?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemon Reborn: *insert every word in the dictionary into the thread title but put 'gently caress' in between every word*

Note: this will somehow be less verbose than the game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I gotta be honest, I kind of dig the butterfly effect where sparing your least offensive enemy leads to your most offensive ally murdering them, which leads to them reevaluating all the lovely choices that led them there, which causes a rift in their grossly abusive codependent relationship, driving their partner to attempt to murder you.

Each individually part ranges from stupid to straight up offensive, but the actual chain of events could have been downright good in a non-awful story, which is well above the bar normally set by Reborn. Plus, until they inevitably show up in the next plot instalment, we can pretend Raven has actual agency and cut ties with both of them for good.

When you describe it that way it could almost sound like some sorta greek tragedy bullshit but here it's just awful.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've got here some bubble-dialogue from Amaria, can anyone translate please?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
it's sometimes harder on the murderer than it is on the victim.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Pokemon Reborn: No

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
It's Pokémon Reborn alright. :pkmnwhy: :majorminor:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I don't know if Amaria has actual depression or if she's just milking symptoms in an attempt to get attention as suggested by the Orb of Zot, either way Amaria is a skin crawlingly awful person and I hope we never see her again.

We aren't that lucky are we? God, I honestly wish Fern was still around, he's so much less awful than the psueicide lesbians.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Black Robe posted:

Disregarding all that, why did Amaria even try to kill us? I thought she had magic plot amnesia and has no idea we were involved in the mess before, and Titania doesn't dump her psychotic rear end until after this all plays out, so what exactly does she think is Raven's fault?

Showing up without Titania and having the Sapphire Bracelets she used to have... because that's a good reason for a gym leader to kill a challenger that she's technically only met one other time, right?
This is the worst-written toxic relationship ever.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

still thinking about the murder chamber

why is that even there
has she murdered people in her murder chamber before
does the entire thing have a rigging so you can turn things into murder chambers or just the dead end

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, for all her faults Amaria is maybe the first person, friend or enemy, who's asked Raven for one of the Plot Jewellery Pieces she's got instead of just walking up and taking it off her.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

For the events of Fiore Gym, the route split is handled by switch 878, named "lin knight taka". If it's on, we're Reshiram. If it's off, it's Zekrom. The progress is handled by variable 381, "e17 story (finally)".

I just can just turn that switch off and wind that variable back.

Check right quick if it worked, and...

Bingo! Seems I did the thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This game :psyduck:

e: Pokemon Reborn: Coming back here was stupid.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 6, 2019

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Going to bring back an old quote from the interview, because it sums up what bothers me the most about Reborn.

One would think that if someone stops talking to you, it's a sign she's not that into your plan to portray her late father as a criminal and herself as a resentful orphan and a kidnapping victim.

Anyway, this whole mess is the main reason I feel bad for Titania's player, as well as Amaria's. Omni's talk with Amethyst implied that what happened with their characters was based in part off their own interactions with each other... so, uh, are they alright with being portrayed this way? Are they allowed to veto any of this? Do they even know this game exists?

(Nipping this in the bud right now: My questions are rhetorical and I don't want to dig up any info not already out there. Reborn is exploitative enough based on what few incidents we know of. Abusive guardians, terminal illness, and suicide, all laid bare in a romhack even though most of the people affected either lost contact with the group or died. And there is no reason to add to that misery voyeurism by playing detective or psychologist. I will say, to Amethyst's credit, that apparently steps were taken to protect the former players' identities. That still doesn't justify turning their private lives into cheap plot twists.)

At the very least, putting years-old writing into a current work and not buffing out all the rough parts is not the greatest idea. I know what it's like to write characters like Amaria and Titania, or Lin or Julia or any of the others. And I know what it's like to still have nostalgia for those fun self-indulgent times. But I would still be mortified if an old friend published a story that used the same characters and storylines. Same lovely personalities, same disrespectful handling of mental health.

When you reuse old ideas, you have to be prepared to revise it if you run into major plot holes, or if you realize you're portraying a sensitive topic badly. It's a tricky line to walk in this context, because Reborn was made for its own community first and foremost. I understand why Amethyst wouldn't want to change the characters drastically from their original writing, out of respect to the others. There are a couple problems with that, though:
1) She's already changed some of the characters completely. Fern goes from being a sore loser to a genuine bastard, Corey becomes an antagonist and Heather openly hates him, Amaria's player's accident is changed into Amaria's suicide attempt, and Titania and Amaria in general have their problems made exponentially worse until we end up at murders.
2) Again, that assumes they even want to show the world their old story ideas. Or if they've even been asked permission at all.
3) And there really isn't anything respectful about giving Corey and Kiki such traumatic, undignified deaths on-screen.

...Actually, now that I think of it... Was the main Reborn League even an actual roleplay? The city setting was from the offshoot that became Team Meteor, so Amethyst wasn't involved with that part. And obviously everyone's playing the role of a gym leader. But the way Amethyst worded makes it kind of sound like there wasn't much RP in the main group. So was there any actual writing for the non-Meteor characters, or did Amethyst base their romhack stories solely off the personal experiences of real people, filtered through her lens?

...That is also rhetorical. I don't think I want to know the answer. Regardless, what I'm trying to say is

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I know I'm exposing myself greatly here, but not everyone's experience with depression is so quiet. I have bipolar 2 and sometimes I have had to be restrained from hurting myself. It's very ugly and lots of violent sobbing is involved. It's rather dramatic. So saying depression that is dramatic is the stuff of Hollywood is only taking one type of experience in mind. It's not for fun or attention, it's because I have a loving disease that alters the way I think at times and makes me want to die.

That said, do I think Amaria is a good depiction of this? No. Not at all. But there are some things, like running off, that I get. I can understand running away to hurt alone instead of letting others see you breaking down.

But, uh, just so you know, not all depressions are the not getting up and bathing types. There are both grinding types and sharp, explosive types, if that makes sense.

And before anyone asks, yes I take my medicine, and yes I see a shrink. I'm in no danger of hurting myself, and have a good support network.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Have you ever tried to kill someone else during one of your depressive periods, though?

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

wow. wooow. wooooooooooooooooow.

What a loving update. wow. I keep getting surprised by the lows Reborn stoops too. I don't know why, I should know by now that Reborn is horrible trash-garbage. But the only thing I can say after that last update is woooooooooooow

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

PERFECT, I love this Azza!

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Also, as someone who MIGHT have some depression, it's not the inaccuracies that get to me, not particularly at least, it's being portrayed as a psycho who would immediately jump to murder as soon as something doesn't look right :X if you don't know how to write something, perharps consider studying the subject, ask around, and maybe discard ideas if they're this awful!

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah, for me it doesn't matter if it's accurate, it matters that the depressed character is also the literal worst.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DicktheCat posted:

I know I'm exposing myself greatly here, but not everyone's experience with depression is so quiet. I have bipolar 2 and sometimes I have had to be restrained from hurting myself. It's very ugly and lots of violent sobbing is involved. It's rather dramatic. So saying depression that is dramatic is the stuff of Hollywood is only taking one type of experience in mind. It's not for fun or attention, it's because I have a loving disease that alters the way I think at times and makes me want to die.

That said, do I think Amaria is a good depiction of this? No. Not at all. But there are some things, like running off, that I get. I can understand running away to hurt alone instead of letting others see you breaking down.

But, uh, just so you know, not all depressions are the not getting up and bathing types. There are both grinding types and sharp, explosive types, if that makes sense.

And before anyone asks, yes I take my medicine, and yes I see a shrink. I'm in no danger of hurting myself, and have a good support network.

What I do have to ask is

Do you run anything that can KO sheddy?

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

As one of the first people to calm it Hollywood Depression; yeah I don't meant to alienated
anyone who's felt this way, or similar.

I'll spend as much time hyper and very angry as I do feeling no energy or motivation to do anything, some days.
I know not all depression/bipolar/anything that gets us this way, is all low energy immobility.

It's the melodrama and theatrics of this whole thing that makes me call it Hollywood Depression, because at no point has Amethyst displayed an understanding or sense of tact necessary to handle any of this correctly, intentionally.

Reborn is just bad, all the way down.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I thought it couldn't get any worse.

I should know better by now: Amethyst always finds a way to be a hack writer and a worse person than she was mere moments before.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm getting less a sense of depression and more a sense of Amaria being a sociopath.

Granted, "being a sociopath" fits the niche of a startling number of Reborn characters.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not even finished reading this update and yet I felt compelled to post immediately

:majorminor:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is just armchair psychology, but I'd say Amaria is less depressive and more borderline. Seriously, check out the "Signs and symptoms" heading and see if you don't get a loving 6/10 or more on Amaria's behavior.

If Ame was trying for depressive, she missed and hit borderline. If she was trying for borderline, it's still overwrought and only vaguely believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Remember when the thread thought Julia was insufferable?

halcyon days

Julia is taking all this utter nonsense about as seriously as it should be taken, aka not at all. In fact it's almost charming (barf) how much she's taking the piss considering how utterly unraveled everything around her is.

I'd take a hundred Julias over almost every other character in this game.