Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was looking at my characters last night and realized that I've got tons of "old" seasonal characters who I'd levelled up before there was a Haedrig's Gift. Aside from necro and barb, what's the funnest/coolest/bestest class and set to shoot for if I wanted to start a second class this season? Is the monk a good class to slip into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

chaosapiant posted:

I was looking at my characters last night and realized that I've got tons of "old" seasonal characters who I'd levelled up before there was a Haedrig's Gift. Aside from necro and barb, what's the funnest/coolest/bestest class and set to shoot for if I wanted to start a second class this season? Is the monk a good class to slip into?

Bell Monk is fast, and completely clears entire screens with ease. I think just having all the correct items can get you drat near GR100, before ancients and augments and perfect rolls and all that.

I have no idea how it is to play, but my buddy that was playing it seemed to have a blast.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bamhand posted:

I don't know who the gently caress thought a cooldown based build would be fun. Crusader is fun because you get permanent Akkarat through gear. Vyr's is ok because you still keep some of the buffs in non Archon mode and can increase your cooldown rate so you're able to get back in quickly, plus you're not helpless outside Archon.

Corpselance is the one build I refuse to play in the game.

Oh and Firebirds. gently caress that.

Firebird looked fun at first glance, you do stacking fire damage till you burn out and die, then come back every minute or so?
Nope, you kite elites and manage the convoluted stacking mechanic. Feels like a real waste of what could be a really fun set.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If they made the defensive buff permanent regardless of number of enemies burning it would be fine. But no, you just constantly get one shot.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Bell Monks are ridiculously fast and aoe screen clear. The gear is extremely forgiving as far as proper rolls while gearing up, the movement ability lets you teleport over gaps and through certain wall segments, AND it can support a sage set without crippling the build.

I want to play other classes and builds but god drat the monk is so convenient and flexible it makes it hard going back to other classes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dameius posted:

Bell Monks are ridiculously fast and aoe screen clear. The gear is extremely forgiving as far as proper rolls while gearing up, the movement ability lets you teleport over gaps and through certain wall segments, AND it can support a sage set without crippling the build.

I want to play other classes and builds but god drat the monk is so convenient and flexible it makes it hard going back to other classes.

I'm kinda bored of the build, but the new sage's buff probably makes it too enticing

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bamhand posted:

Corpselance is the one build I refuse to play in the game.
Skeletal Mages aren't much better, since you're still kinda relying on Land of the Dead for your big damage spike.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there an "easy" way to get set items if it's a 2 piece set where you need the other piece? Or are drops/gambling the only way to get them? Trying to see the easiest way to complete the rogue/slanderer set for my son. He has Slanderer and need the other one.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
When the season ends and my season characters are made non-season do all of their recipe unlocks for the jeweler etc come over, too?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

chaosapiant posted:

Is there an "easy" way to get set items if it's a 2 piece set where you need the other piece? Or are drops/gambling the only way to get them? Trying to see the easiest way to complete the rogue/slanderer set for my son. He has Slanderer and need the other one.

Gambling from Kadala, then upgrading the yellow 1h swords (I think those are 1h swords) in the cube is going to be your best bet, I'd imagine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zarin posted:

Gambling from Kadala, then upgrading the yellow 1h swords (I think those are 1h swords) in the cube is going to be your best bet, I'd imagine.

Ok cool, glad to know both of those work. Thanks!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you're going for a 2pc weapon set, save your shards and upgrade in the cube exclusively. Jewelry, only do Kadala if you've gotf literally everything else already, otherwise cube only.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Sean posted:

When the season ends and my season characters are made non-season do all of their recipe unlocks for the jeweler etc come over, too?

Yup.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dameius posted:

If you're going for a 2pc weapon set, save your shards and upgrade in the cube exclusively. Jewelry, only do Kadala if you've gotf literally everything else already, otherwise cube only.

Noted, thank you! Is this because Kadala doesn't have those things, or because it's better odds with cubing rares?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is because the cost to gamble off Kadala for those items makes it not worth it vs the pools you are gambling in. Also for weapons, you can only gamble for all 1h, whereas for the cube you can specifically go for swords or fist or whatever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dameius posted:

It is because the cost to gamble off Kadala for those items makes it not worth it vs the pools you are gambling in. Also for weapons, you can only gamble for all 1h, whereas for the cube you can specifically go for swords or fist or whatever.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Diablo 3 sale again, in the USA anyway. 33% off Reaper and Necro (50% off vanilla).

I was thinking of getting Necromancer but the last few pages dissuaded me. Earlier in the season I probably would've made the jump.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I guess S17 might see some fun Captain America LoN builds so all is good. Worst case you just switch to good old bombardment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just reinstalled this after not touching it for 2-3 years. I've forgotten almost everything. I have a paragon 760 wizard left over from before that was two pieces away from being perfectly geared for a meteor firebird. I can breeze through gr 70 but i hate it.

Is necromancer worth it? Am i paying 15 bucks just for the class?

There's a ton of stuff I don't quite remember about the cube. There's a way to reroll items with it?

Is there a way to play with goons?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is necromancer worth it? Am i paying 15 bucks just for the class?
The class, a couple cosmetics, and a couple stash tabs you probably don't need. There was some discussion about the necro fairly recently in this thread; the main problem with it is that 2.5 of the 4 sets revolve around Land of the Dead + Corpse Lance, which is sort of obnoxious to play.

quote:

There's a ton of stuff I don't quite remember about the cube. There's a way to reroll items with it?
There's a list of cube recipes in a pullout menu.

quote:

Is there a way to play with goons?
There's a LLJK community. (Not the clan, the community.) It's fairly late in the season, though, so there may not be anyone there until the next season starts.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does land of the deas involve a lot of skeletons? Cause that doesn't sound obnoxious at all. How do I go about joining the community? Im gonna start a new character and I really don't want to play through the campaign again if i can avoid it.

E: I mean it can't possibly be more obnoxious than this meteor poo poo. I had this cool disintegrate and energy twister thing left over from before that was so much more fun.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 6, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Does land of the deas involve a lot of skeletons? Cause that doesn't sound obnoxious at all.
Land of the Dead is a 2 minute cooldown that gives you unlimited corpses. The Corpse Lance builds tend to devolve into "press LotD and hold down the Corpse Lance button until everything on screen dies, then run away from everything until LotD comes off cooldown".

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 6, 2019

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That sounds right up my ally. I'm too old and lazy to worry about cooldowns and doing more than holding down the stand key.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

That sounds right up my ally. I'm too old and lazy to worry about cooldowns and doing more than holding down the stand key.

No, the land of the dead is specifically ON a very long cooldown, like 2 mins give or take, so all the highest builds are just kiting enemies along until they can pop their cooldown and kill everything.

They have much, much lazier builds, including one we refer to as “Lazymancer”

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Let's say my primary concern was to cut out as much visual spam as possible. What would be a good build for balancing that while still being able to run 60+ greater rifts (on any class)?

Seriously gently caress this meteor poo poo how do people play with a billion meteors constantly filling the screen.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Let's say my primary concern was to cut out as much visual spam as possible. What would be a good build for balancing that while still being able to run 60+ greater rifts (on any class)?

Seriously gently caress this meteor poo poo how do people play with a billion meteors constantly filling the screen.

Inarius necromancer.

Get bones, and walk through everyone.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

60+ GR is pretty much doable now by any class with the gift set. I found it was around 80 I started to have to optimize personally.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
PTR went live and blizz never ceases to amaze. Ancient puzzle ring spawns an ancient vault portal where all peons are replaced by goblins, sure that's cool. Primal puzzle ring spawns....... an ancient vault portal that is exactly the same as ancient :downs:

Also the stash search feature is rear end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Incoherence posted:

Land of the Dead is a 2 minute cooldown that gives you unlimited corpses. The Corpse Lance builds tend to devolve into "press LotD and hold down the Corpse Lance button until everything on screen dies, then run away from everything until LotD comes off cooldown".

Don’t forget casting decrepify on every moving thing while your friends come through like a buzz saw.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do seasonal and nonseasonal characters mix? I don't really want to start a seasonal character with a month left. I'd rather be playing with people than just grinding endless solo grifts.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Do seasonal and nonseasonal characters mix? I don't really want to start a seasonal character with a month left. I'd rather be playing with people than just grinding endless solo grifts.

I think most of the game probably plays seasons, to be honest. I could be wrong, but that's my experience.

Personally, I'd say grab a seasonal character, get a PL, maybe play some public games or something, and keep an eye on what's gonna be good in the upcoming season.

You can have some characters of each, though, but a seasonal character cannot join the same game as a non-seasonal and so on.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well some guy powerlevelled my necro up to 300. Which I feel bad for because I don't think I like how necros work.

I'm gonna try a seasonal demon hunter - they always looked fun.

Arkane#11972 if anyone wants to powerlevel or start up a new character with me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got the switch version and played Necro first. It was really fun to do the skeletal mage build but all the other builds were not fun for me at all.

Now they buffed every class ridiculously while not touching necro so I feel like it’s less worth getting than it was before the buffs

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Uh, if you aren't meteor showering with a fast attack knife, atk spd gear, and a bunch of -cost to meteor so you can lag out pubbies I don't know what you're doing

Bust Rodd posted:

They have much, much lazier builds, including one we refer to as “Lazymancer”

Lazystorm is the only one I play it's so good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m still crazy salty about the Miranae nerf. Why would you take a gem literally no one has ever used since the games inception and patch out the one single thing in one build it was ever used for? Just felt needlessly heavy handed. Why spend any dev time nerfing that?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:actiblizz:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like there are gonna be new wings for completing the entire season journey

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I was pumped to try PTR WD with Dagger of Darts but I they found out that the buff only works for you, not your fetishes. :v: Guess that is why they have the PTR. Still not sure if I want to play next season since LoN is such a pain (at least in my head) to gear for. Even on PTR where drops are silly it I have a WD with full ancients and it still feels pretty meh. If it's no better than a normal 6 piece set for farming and like GR 70-80ish (high as I ever really care to go) then not much point for me. But the buff will be nice if you find an ancient right as you hit 70 and leveling alts, I guess.

Swilo posted:

Also the stash search feature is rear end.

Haven't really used it yet but when I accidentally hit another key (into the search text box) and can't click anything it is a bit annoying.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m still crazy salty about the Miranae nerf. Why would you take a gem literally no one has ever used since the games inception and patch out the one single thing in one build it was ever used for? Just felt needlessly heavy handed. Why spend any dev time nerfing that?

I think they should've at least fixed Inarius in a way that trash could be dealt with just as quickly as any other build with bonestorm, but you'd be hanging on to corpse lance for the champ/elite/boss encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Inarius needs a way to deal more damage, both via bigger numbers (Proc rate + bigger % for 6pc) and radius (maybe scales with Pickup radius so the tornado can cover a larger area). The necro in general feels like they missed the mark in so many areas. Shame the cooldown-reliant builds are so strong, so they just ignore the other sets and builds for now and consider it complete.