Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Do you run anything that can KO sheddy?

All you have to do is toss a pebble at it, and it will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm getting less a sense of depression and more a sense of Amaria being a sociopath.

Granted, "being a sociopath" fits the niche of a startling number of Reborn characters.

Do not insult anti-social personality disorder.
You can live a perfectly functioning life without feeling empathy for others. (also if she had it, she would not need Titania so badly.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

One of the most appropriate thread titles in quite a while.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
At this point I can't tell which character I hate more from this latest update. Honestly, it seems like everyone involved with that Pokemon School is awful in their own special way, from the walking garbage piles of Titania and Amaria, Julia the wacky tone-deaf bomber, and Fern's sister Domo Arigato Mister Roboto. An awful quartet of poorly-written characters that keep appearing in spite of everything.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:pkmnwhy:

it's called reborn because it keeps clawing its way out of the grave like a zombie to horrify us again and again

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Remember when we were in the renewed city and it was open and gave us stuff to do and actual worthwhile rewards and it almost resembled a fun Pokemon game you'd kind of want to play more of?

That feels like so long ago.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Verant posted:

At this point I can't tell which character I hate more from this latest update. Honestly, it seems like everyone involved with that Pokemon School is awful in their own special way, from the walking garbage piles of Titania and Amaria, Julia the wacky tone-deaf bomber, and Fern's sister Domo Arigato Mister Roboto. An awful quartet of poorly-written characters that keep appearing in spite of everything.

I just realized we haven't gotten a major plot dump about robot girl yet, excepting her diary. I forget which character it was that went "You're still acting like a robot because I dumped you several years ago" (It was probably Titania) but we haven't gotten a steaming pile of exposition about that shitshow yet.

I want to say that will probably be handled better than this, but I know that's just the last feeble ember of optimism.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Do not insult anti-social personality disorder.
You can live a perfectly functioning life without feeling empathy for others.

There's probably a joke here about 'politicians', 'Something Awful posters', or 'people in general', but I lack the words to make it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's actually almost impressive just how many times you think you've seen how far Reborn can sink, how many times it can hit rock bottom, only to somehow dig itself in deeper. It's the neverending trainwreck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bloodly posted:

There's probably a joke here about 'politicians', 'Something Awful posters', or 'people in general', but I lack the words to make it.
It's really something awful that politicians keep getting elected by preying on the general populace's complete lack of empathy for others.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DicktheCat posted:

I know I'm exposing myself greatly here, but not everyone's experience with depression is so quiet. I have bipolar 2 and sometimes I have had to be restrained from hurting myself. It's very ugly and lots of violent sobbing is involved. It's rather dramatic.

ZeButler posted:

Have you ever tried to kill someone else during one of your depressive periods, though?

As someone else with B2, certainly not with a magical drowning closet. The outbursts in manic depression/bipolar are violent, certainly, but they're also incredibly explosive and sudden. Back before I'd been diagnosed and treated, there were times in high school where I'd flown off the handle and attacked people, but it's with whatever was nearby to grab. Chairs, tables, trash cans, my backpack. Nothing was premeditated, and I certainly wasn't coherent enough to be monologuing Evanescence lyrics. In addition, while I wasn't in control of myself, I was fully aware of what I was doing after the fact. I hated it intensely, and while my experiences aren't universal, I'm pretty sure that the way Amaria was acting is not at all good representation of that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What I do have to ask is

Do you run anything that can KO sheddy?

I think between Farfetch'd and Aegislash I'm fine.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 6, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kitfox88 posted:

When you describe it that way it could almost sound like some sorta greek tragedy bullshit but here it's just awful.

I was thinking more along the lines of an Aesopic fable about how you should have empathy for the footsoldiers of the enemy side and oppose the war criminals on your own.

I mean, it'd help a lot of Taka hadn't been an active component of a literal genocide cult, and if Titania had been an actual ally who helped you out and whose company was enjoyable, but if you excise all the individual Reborn elements it could work.

Amaria descending from helpful to self-harm to you-harm could also have been an emotional gut punch if Amaria had been a character we ever cared about instead of a font of Evanescence lyrics and destructive personality disorders.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The thread hasn't been this outraged since the truth of the Corey suicide came out.

Which I think neatly sums up the reason why Reborn is so much worse than we've seen before. We like lovely fangames. We like terrible fiction. We like garbage tier writing. We like ludicrous game mechanics. It's funny, and while we gleefully shred the content we usually stay away from the creator. Reborn could have been tolerable, albeit still the worst example we've seen.

But you leave real life poo poo out of it. People thought Amethyst was a bad writer from the start but nobody started hating her until we learned that she was exploiting the history of her dead 'friend'. Every time some real-life tragedy has been dragged into the spotlight and forced to perform, the thread has grown angrier. And now we have explicit butchering of genuine illness that a lot of us have experienced, and if this had happened earlier there would be room for some benefit of the doubt because it's a common misunderstanding, but we hate everyone involved in this too much to make excuses for them any more, particularly with the shades of domestic abuse. And now all we can find to say is a string of obscenities.

If your friends are struggling with terminal illness, with depression and suicidal impulses, with other mental health issues, with family bigotry and rejection, with abusive relationships, you don't exploit that even years after the fact. Reborn is actively making money from people's misery.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Verant posted:

Robotsister is the least offensive, honestly.
Or maybe I am just taking her side because it means not having to agree with anything Fern blabs about.
Now though, I am starting to miss Fern.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Azza Bamboo posted:

Wives have the final say in real estate purchases and that's why my murder room is built with women in mind.

Azz Bamboo used Saw I-Beam

It's super effective!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Robe posted:

The thread hasn't been this outraged since the truth of the Corey suicide came out.

Which I think neatly sums up the reason why Reborn is so much worse than we've seen before. We like lovely fangames. We like terrible fiction. We like garbage tier writing. We like ludicrous game mechanics. It's funny, and while we gleefully shred the content we usually stay away from the creator. Reborn could have been tolerable, albeit still the worst example we've seen.

But you leave real life poo poo out of it. People thought Amethyst was a bad writer from the start but nobody started hating her until we learned that she was exploiting the history of her dead 'friend'. Every time some real-life tragedy has been dragged into the spotlight and forced to perform, the thread has grown angrier. And now we have explicit butchering of genuine illness that a lot of us have experienced, and if this had happened earlier there would be room for some benefit of the doubt because it's a common misunderstanding, but we hate everyone involved in this too much to make excuses for them any more, particularly with the shades of domestic abuse. And now all we can find to say is a string of obscenities.

If your friends are struggling with terminal illness, with depression and suicidal impulses, with other mental health issues, with family bigotry and rejection, with abusive relationships, you don't exploit that even years after the fact. Reborn is actively making money from people's misery.

This is exactly it and you put it into words far better than my outraged self could.

Like, compare with Insurgence. It's Reborn lite and commits several of the same sins Reborn does, with a creator that actually sees Reborn as an example to follow (I seriously want to believe he has no idea about its horrible background). But the creator (Jan, I believe) has gotten none of the hatred Amethyst did and does, because he doesn't touch any sensitive topic with such a gigantic lack of respect and because it really feels like he wanted his game to be a good one instead of the horrible soulless mess that is Reborn.

We can post all day about just how many things Reborn fails at but its absolutely Amethyst's attitude towards people that, we're led to believe, were or are her friends that brings in the colourful thread titles we've had, like the current one.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is exactly it and you put it into words far better than my outraged self could.

Like, compare with Insurgence. It's Reborn lite and commits several of the same sins Reborn does, with a creator that actually sees Reborn as an example to follow (I seriously want to believe he has no idea about its horrible background). But the creator (Jan, I believe) has gotten none of the hatred Amethyst did and does, because he doesn't touch any sensitive topic with such a gigantic lack of respect and because it really feels like he wanted his game to be a good one instead of the horrible soulless mess that is Reborn.

We can post all day about just how many things Reborn fails at but its absolutely Amethyst's attitude towards people that, we're led to believe, were or are her friends that brings in the colourful thread titles we've had, like the current one.

Are you sure you're not talking about Rejuvenation? I know Jan was the creator for that one and he was specifically inspired by Reborn

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, I was gonna say... I'm not gonna defend Insurgence as high art or even as being particularly good. But I'm like 99% certain it has nothing to do with Reborn.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

Are you sure you're not talking about Rejuvenation? I know Jan was the creator for that one and he was specifically inspired by Reborn

I did mean Rejuvenation, whoops. All these fangames are getting confusing.

Insurgence actually knows how to have fun even if it has its issues so it shouldn't be lumped with the Reborns.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I did mean Rejuvenation, whoops. All these fangames are getting confusing.

Insurgence actually knows how to have fun even if it has its issues so it shouldn't be lumped with the Reborns.

there's a reason pokemon has such simple version names with distinct naming schemes each generation, they know full well trying to be flowery with each would make each version indistinguishable

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014
SERIOUSLY. I ACTUALLY WISH EITHER TERRA OR FERN COMES BACK INTO THE STORY.

Not since Homestuck have I suffered just late game aggravation.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Way back in the day when people were polling who the worst character in Reborn was, I chose Amaria.

This specific chain of events is why.

GregorCanteberry posted:

The fact that this would actually make the current plot less edgy is a testament to just how utterly hosed things have gotten.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GregorCanteberry posted:

You are right and I hate Reborn for that.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mersenne posted:

Way back in the day when people were polling who the worst character in Reborn was, I chose Amaria.

This specific chain of events is why.

The fact that this would actually make the current plot less edgy is a testament to just how utterly hosed things have gotten.

...I'm beginning to think we probably need a repoll once the LP has concluded.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

As someone else with B2, certainly not with a magical drowning closet. The outbursts in manic depression/bipolar are violent, certainly, but they're also incredibly explosive and sudden. Back before I'd been diagnosed and treated, there were times in high school where I'd flown off the handle and attacked people, but it's with whatever was nearby to grab. Chairs, tables, trash cans, my backpack. Nothing was premeditated, and I certainly wasn't coherent enough to be monologuing Evanescence lyrics. In addition, while I wasn't in control of myself, I was fully aware of what I was doing after the fact. I hated it intensely, and while my experiences aren't universal, I'm pretty sure that the way Amaria was acting is not at all good representation of that.

I think between Farfetch'd and Aegislash I'm fine.

Hey, B2 buddy. :smith: :respek: :smith:

Yeah, the thing with bipolar 2 episodes is that it's rough and it's fast. You don't, say, make up ways to hurt people in your spare time and go through with them. In my experience, I either run away to avoid saying things I can't take back or if it's real bad, turn it on myself. I'm lucky to have people that love me enough to get me through it, techniques that keep me from getting there and medicine to prevent the whole thing.

A good writer could show this. Amethyst is not a good writer.

My main point was that not all depression is quiet.

As to the Shedinja question, is weaponized self-loathing super effective?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aren't we really the only ones that know about Reborn's background, aside from the people directly involved with it? None of the background details we know really feel like they were common knowledge until Onmi's interview. It's most likely that most people playing Reborn have no clue about the IRL stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Also Insurgence has nothing to do with Reborn. That's Rejuvenation.

Insurgence is the one that's sorta edgy - but lets you turn its edginess off if you want - and actually has the player accomplish things. Repeatedly!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GregorCanteberry posted:

OH MAN ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HOMESTUCK NOW? Because I agree with you, the entire dancestor "arc" (Using the term more loosely than... something that's really goddamn loose, the only metaphor I could think of there was really inappropriate) could have been dropped completely with no loss of story coherency. The one dancestor that actually DID anything, Aranea, could have just been another loving Vriska timeclone.

I was more annoyed at late-series Homestuck than I was at late-series Hunter X Hunter, which committed basically the same sin, the entire Chimera Ant arc accomplished nothing in terms of character development. I just do not like to feel like my time has been wasted. Which, to bring it back to Reborn, is why I'm not playing the game myself. I would have put the game down in disgust sometime around the volcanic island. If not before, it's just that's the earliest point I can recall where your actions are explicitly invalidated.

DicktheCat posted:

I think that would fall under Curse, so if you're a Ghost-type, yes. ...that statement has some connotations I didn't consider when writing it. :ohdear:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DicktheCat posted:

Dark Pulse is described as a horrible aura of dark thoughts, so, yes.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Dragonatrix posted:

Also Insurgence has nothing to do with Reborn. That's Rejuvenation.

Insurgence is the one that's sorta edgy - but lets you turn its edginess off if you want - and actually has the player accomplish things. Repeatedly!

Too many fangames have the same naming scheme.

But yeah, Insurgence is a better fangame because at least the writing includes bathos like the real games. Reborn might be a little more tolerable if it didn't take itself so seriously (or try for wacky randumb "humor" like with that Julia stuff).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As bad as it has gotten I am in no way pining for the return or Terra or Fern.
I will take 'concentrated dose of emo bummerzone' over these two trying to win Gold Medals in Lolrandom or pointless douchebaggery respectively.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Materant posted:

...I'm beginning to think we probably need a repoll once the LP has concluded.

I didn't like the poll when I made it because just so much happens in this drat game.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hmmm

Serra is okay if you don't catch her in a funk about her modelling career.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Is there any word on Episode 19
Is it possible that might come out just before episode 18 finishes up
Or are we legit almost done with this garbage

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

I think 18 came out only a few months ago so it'll probably be a while before it finishes unless she just barrels through (or splits it into more episodes!).

I will guess that OFS finishes 18 well before 19 is put out, but it's okay because this thread will be eternal

quote:

The game's currently unfinished so when I run out of content I guess I run out of LP. If the game updates I guess I have more LP, continuing in this thread if it's not in archives or a sequel thread if it is. I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

the Orb of Zot posted:

At the rate of release Episode 19 isn't due anytime soon. Someone posted the release dates earlier in the thread and it's taken more and more time between releases, with 19 releasing IIRC a full year or more after 18 also being a year after 17. That's how this rubbish has been in production since the time period of B/W, and why Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves are tacked on so late.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'll just lp some other garbage no one wants in the mean time.

Maybe pokemon red. Or ff5 when the fiesta comes.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Do we have any confirmation on how many episodes Reborn is expected to have?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BlackPersona posted:

At least 19 too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

I think she's said that 19 is supposed to be the end. It'll cover the rest of the main game and the post game. I think someone here said she just wants to be done with the game

I have doubts