Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MarcusSA posted:

So drat the strict press makes me feel like such a failure.

Like this past cycle I added 25 lbs to my squat, 40 to my DL and 20 to my bench.... but only 5 to my strict press.

I’m not sure if I’m just tired or maybe I psyched my self out but drat I was hoping for a least a 10lb increase.

up the dose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

feelix posted:

up the dose

Take Halo for like a week or two & it'll up by 100lbs

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've found the secret to strict press progression and it involves you in-laws moving in

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just keep doing the dirty dancing move with progressively larger women each time I go out on a date. Making all sorts of gains that way.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Does that mean you get to go out with a skinny girl on deload week?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
thanks to the advice of this thread, ive started doing lots of BTN BB presses, chinese lateral raises and front delt raises in the hopes this will improve my overhead press.

also tren

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dilber posted:

Hitting 205 on OHP was more satisfying than hitting 500 on my deadlift.

poo poo, I'll be happy when I hit a single plate OHP (I'm real close though)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

my ohp stalled at 185 and I haven't been able to top 180 since I've been losing weight

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I weighed 157 lbs today, and I'm definitely weaker than when I weighed 190 lbs and doing SS and eating everything on sight, but goddamn I feel so much better. Both in general, and the way I look. I'm hoping to go down a bit further to under 150 lbs, and then go for a slow as hell bulk.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Do ya'll find OHP to be the most difficult out of Squats/Deadlift/OHP/Rows/Bench?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

bomb posted:

Do ya'll find OHP to be the most difficult out of Squats/Deadlift/OHP/Rows/Bench?

Definitely the most difficult to progress on, and I think that's a pretty common sentiment

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I bet a lot of that is because it's a relatively light and technical lift, so it needs a ton of volume and frequency to get better, and there just aren't enough days in the week to get enough good OHP training without seriously taking away from bench press. Don't we have a strongman ITT that only OHPs and doesn't bench? What's his thoughts on this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

100% and the most defeating.

I was talking to another dude in the gym about it and he also said it’s one of the hardest lifts we do.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

feelix posted:

I bet a lot of that is because it's a relatively light and technical lift, so it needs a ton of volume and frequency to get better, and there just aren't enough days in the week to get enough good OHP training without seriously taking away from bench press. Don't we have a strongman ITT that only OHPs and doesn't bench? What's his thoughts on this?

I don't bench much but do OHP almost every day, just curious how others feel about it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
OHP was the easiest for me to hit a basic standard on.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
OHP 100%. I was stuck at/below 100 for the longest time and I was having shoulder issues to boot; I think I posted earlier in the thread about it (like months ago).

Doing anterior delt work helped a lot, obviously, but it led me to realize that my issues strictly weren't due to overuse or anything, just weak rear end shoulders.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I loving suck at OHP. I'm lucky to add 15 pounds a year...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i do strongman and all pro strongmen and trainers i know do next to no specific chest/bench work except occasional DB bench or flys. i do incline bench with a cambered bar but i think a lot of the weakness is coming from the rear group of shoulder muscles. triceps help a lot as well. my OH is my worst lift, i also havr long rear end arms which is a big mechanical disadvantage. the best advice i got is train your shoulders like a bodybuilder more frequently than doing strict press.

i look to oly lifters too to see how they overcome sticking points thats where i got the Chinese lateral raises and BTN BB presses from

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

the best advice i got is train your shoulders like a bodybuilder more frequently than doing strict press.
I've kind of been stuck in a mindset that bodybuilding training is useless because I'm isocaloric, so those muscles aren't gonna grow anyway. Maybe that's stupid

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it is.

I really wish I had more time to get it in. I really did enjoy going to yoga classes.

Also all the hot asses.

I've decided to make the Thursday drop in at my Y part of my evening rotation, and I'll probably do some work in my apartment to keep flexibility up since mine is :piss:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

feelix posted:

I've kind of been stuck in a mindset that bodybuilding training is useless because I'm isocaloric, so those muscles aren't gonna grow anyway. Maybe that's stupid

Give Powerlifters Should Train More Like Bodybuilders a read.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

I know that hypertrophy is highly beneficial for strength. My thought is that hypertrophy won't happen no matter how much high-rep training I do, because I am not willing to gain weight and I am not a novice.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rejoined a crossfit gym here in knoxville

feel sore, man

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

borat_MYWIFE.wav

I did something to my left shoulder 8 months ago and it's been a slow road to recovery. This morning I got a set of 8 reps at 60lb dumbbells over my head in standard shoulder press, then a set of 6 reps, then dropped to 55lbs and got 8 reps in. I felt pretty good about that.

Turns out yoga is pretty fuckin' hard, too.

Like 8 weeks ago I tried to do some kettlebell arnold press I saw on youtube, and my shoulder has been pretty jacked ever since. Do not gently caress up your shoulders, guys. I never thought that out of all the dumb poo poo that I have done in my life, it would be a session with a stupid 30lb kettlebell that would actually gently caress me up

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Don’t gently caress up your shoulder
Or your neck
Or your knees
Or your back
Or your ribs
Or your hips

They all hurt

Other than that, working out is great for health!!!! :stoked:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
ribs are temporarily the worst pain out of all those listed in my experience

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

feel sore, man

See thread title.

Ps great job getting out and moving your rear end. We all have our thoughts on CrossFit but at least people are doing something. Just keep at it and the soreness will get better.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

feel sore, man

Don’t, do kettlebells (Simple and Sinister, Enter the Kettlebell) instead

Burpees only exist to make you tired

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Like 8 weeks ago I tried to do some kettlebell arnold press I saw on youtube, and my shoulder has been pretty jacked ever since. Do not gently caress up your shoulders, guys. I never thought that out of all the dumb poo poo that I have done in my life, it would be a session with a stupid 30lb kettlebell that would actually gently caress me up

Elbows in!!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Don’t gently caress up your shoulder
Or your neck
Or your knees
Or your back
Or your ribs
Or your hips

They all hurt

Other than that, working out is great for health!!!! :stoked:

Had same surgery as Lowtax, but 7 years ago and 3 arthroscopies (no surgery yet) on my right shoulder.

Can confirm. Don't gently caress up. Or get old

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
our strongman group uses a crossfit gym and theres this one crossfittrr that always lingers around afterwards and watching him do whatever the gently caress it is he thinks hes doing is just awkward as gently caress

repping out empty barbell cleans and air squats for 2 hours come on man

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Sludge Tank posted:

our strongman group uses a crossfit gym and theres this one crossfittrr that always lingers around afterwards and watching him do whatever the gently caress it is he thinks hes doing is just awkward as gently caress

repping out empty barbell cleans and air squats for 2 hours come on man

Yeah we're training out of a CrossFit gym right now while we get our facility set up and it's kinda funny because all of us are stronger and use better technique than the coaches.

They've started using the calibrated plates because they see us using them but they use them for farmers walks outside in the rain and it angers me.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
A former coworker of mine on Facebook posted about recovering from an injury he incurred from CrossFit; when I helpfully cautioned him on the incidence rates of injury in such programs, I was immediately beset by his angry, defensive CrossFit friends. I shrugged it off and let it be.

he reinjured himself a month ago

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

We have a giant empty yoga/stretching room and some dumb rear end in a top hat brings a yoga mat to the dead center of the free weight area, lays on his back, and seems to be meditating. So I set up my OHP/Deadlift right next to him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dantheman650 posted:

We have a giant empty yoga/stretching room and some dumb rear end in a top hat brings a yoga mat to the dead center of the free weight area, lays on his back, and seems to be meditating. So I set up my OHP/Deadlift right next to him.

That's an impressive ohp or a very poor deadlift.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

sassassin posted:

That's an impressive ohp or a very poor deadlift.

OHP then Deadlift. Same place, different weights.

It’s probably a very unimpressive both of them.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

My gym wouldn’t buy me heavier bells so I brought my own 🤷‍♂️

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

My gym wouldn’t buy me heavier bells so I brought my own 🤷‍♂️

Kettlebro

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
According to the strength standards https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/shoulder-press/kg

- I'm intermediate on shoulder press. But getting to advanced seems impossible in the near future unless I do some super bulk and get real fat for a long time or get on the juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

get on the juice

You know what you need to do.

Looking at the jump from int to advanced though is like 40 loving lbs and that’s like wtf.