Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

2018:

10. Megalobox
9. Bloom Into You
8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
7. Pop Team Epic
6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
5. Zombieland Saga
4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby
3. Yuru Camp
2. SSSS.Gridman
1. A Place Further Than The Universe

2017:

10. My Hero Academia Season 2
9. Recovery of an MMO Junkie
8. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
7. Girls' Last Tour
6. Made in Abyss
5. Acca: 13 Territory Inspection Department
4. Little Witch Academia
3. March Comes in Like a Lion Season 1
2. Konosuba 2
1. Land of the Lustrous

2016:

10. Osomatsu-san
9. Space Patrol Luluco
8. Konosuba
7. Yuri on Ice
6. Re;Zero
5. Flying Witch
4. Flip Flappers
3. Hibike Euphonium Season 2
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
1. Mob Psycho 100

Don't take this as gospel, mind, just watch stuff from the past few years that seems interesting to you. A lot of my favorite shows from the past few years aren't on these lists.

It's really hosed up that JoJo s4 the bad JoJo was rated higher than Flip Flappers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

It's really hosed up that JoJo s4 the bad JoJo was rated higher than Flip Flappers
Flip Flappers was phenomenal, but Josuke is a good boy. :colbert:

Endorph posted:

oh yeah mob's original author is the same guy who's the original author of one punch man. they're fairly different shows stylistically/tone-wise and they differ a lot in how they're adapted but they're still working from the same guy's work at the end of the day so there's still similar senses of humor and recurring ideas and such
I like that it has a lot of the same goofy naming conventions too, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

GorfZaplen posted:

Not that many people got into Flip Flappers but the people who liked it really liked it

Source: I'm one of those people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKjPD_BNAE

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Flip Flappers ED is one of the most memorable things I feel I've seen in anime in years but I did not care for the actual show like at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

it also feels hosed up for yoi to beat three other shows but i guess none of them super stand out to me either

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Real hosed up that Girl's Last Tour isn't #1.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Just reporting in that I actually finished Guilty Crown. It certainly was what I was expecting and asked for, but I can definitely see why it's not highly rated or anything. It just felt kinda flat overall in the end. Maybe it's because I'm no teenager no longer but it had surprisingly little "melodramatic anime effect". I swear I got more of an emotional response from Gundam SEED/Destiny back in the day. Maybe I'll uhh check that Scum's Wish anime next.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it also feels hosed up for yoi to beat three other shows but i guess none of them super stand out to me either

Osomatsu s1 is absolutely the better show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also people still talk about Konosuba so it's more powerful as well. Never trust the hype train

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actually forgot eupho s2 was that long ago

i guess liz made me think it was more recent

anyway i put lwa higher at the time but while i still like it i think i'd put glt higher now

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

A lot of my favorite shows from the past few years aren't on these lists.

The easiest rec I can think of that isn't on these lists is Princess Principal

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I finished Hajime No Ippo and am looking for something along those lines - something about a plucky young bastard with a heart of gold just training his rear end off to be the best he can be.

On that sense, I also watched Hunter x Hunter and similarly loved it for it's insanity and mayhem ... but also about those plucky young bastards with hearts of gold just training their asses off in a world where Cell likes to play board games.

I don't have a whole lot else to go off of but ... maybe I love sports anime? I'm not sure!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Sword art online a good anime if I want something to tide over my inner teenager until attack on titan/my hero academia come back?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Haikyu!! is a really good sports show about a high school volleyball team, and is real big on that plucky stuff. Run With The Wind just finished and it's also real good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Capital Letdown posted:

I finished Hajime No Ippo and am looking for something along those lines - something about a plucky young bastard with a heart of gold just training his rear end off to be the best he can be.

On that sense, I also watched Hunter x Hunter and similarly loved it for it's insanity and mayhem ... but also about those plucky young bastards with hearts of gold just training their asses off in a world where Cell likes to play board games.

I don't have a whole lot else to go off of but ... maybe I love sports anime? I'm not sure!

Watch Haikyuu

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Allarion posted:

Watch Haikyuu

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Capital Letdown posted:

Have you seen Megalo Box yet? :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Sword art online a good anime if I want something to tide over my inner teenager until attack on titan/my hero academia come back?

not really, s1 is better than the people who hate it would have you believe but it's not great

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Umm maybe? Gun Gale Alternative is a genuinely good series about goofy stupid friends taking a game way too seriously, and has nothing to do with the rest of the show. Alicization is basically a goofy fantasy romp that has about a 50% hit rate with regard to enjoyable ham verse bad boring ham. The rest is at its best when its being very stupid and very enthusiastic about that stupidity, but is usually bad because it's too self serious and boring about very goofy premises.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
taking goofy premises seriously ftw

also gun gale is good because it's about a lesbian meeting her crazy mlg online girlfriend

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Run With The Wind to watch 10 good boys train their hearts out. 10!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes, SAO will absolutely scratch that itch in a similar way to Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. The GGO spin-off which ditches all central cast is also incredibly fun.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Colonel posted:

taking goofy premises seriously ftw

also gun gale is good because it's about a lesbian meeting her crazy mlg online girlfriend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

boruto's been a fairly entertaining show with some real animation highlights if you really wanna tide over your inner teenager

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

In addition to other suggestions, I'm going to reccomend Soul Eater. Black☆Star is your friend.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

boruto's been a fairly entertaining show with some real animation highlights if you really wanna tide over your inner teenager

This is a much better rec than sao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also a genuinely interesting take on Sasuke.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As someone who had zero affection for sports anime beyond Hajime no Ippo until about a year and a half ago and whose taste in anime is 95% based on what my inner teenager enjoys:

Allarion posted:

Watch Haikyuu

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh right if you want stupid fun and very gay action there is Sirius the Jaeger, which is basically just Blade the anime.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I started watching Gamers based on the recommendations a couple pages back. The fakeout ending of episode 1 absolutely sold it to me, this poo poo is great. :allears:

E: And it stays good too, this is the funniest thing I've watched in a long time.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Shortest Path posted:

I started watching Gamers based on the recommendations a couple pages back. The fakeout ending of episode 1 absolutely sold it to me, this poo poo is great. :allears:

E: And it stays good too, this is the funniest thing I've watched in a long time.

How far in are you, out of curiosity?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Halfway through episode three, and someone mentioned it gets even better around 6 I think?

I know it's basically heresy but the dub is extremely good, it got localized very well and the comedy hits great at all points. Some of Uehara's lines have had me practically falling out of my chair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Shortest Path posted:

Halfway through episode three, and someone mentioned it gets even better around 6 I think?

I know it's basically heresy but the dub is extremely good, it got localized very well and the comedy hits great at all points. Some of Uehara's lines have had me practically falling out of my chair.

The dub is fantastic, and Uehara's VA is clearly just loving the role and going ham with it :allears:.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone in the Gamers main cast is a lovable idiot. And the show is better for it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I am glad I have found my soul mate in the girl who hates moe. :hai:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Everyone in the Gamers main cast is a lovable idiot. And the show is better for it.

See also: Konosuba

I should watch Gamers since I havnt got anything to watch this season.

Any good shows in the spirit of 80s action movies? The more hammy the better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Have you watched Tiger & Bunny? It has a lot of Buddy cop movie things going for it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some of the Gundams are extremely hammy, like G Gundam and Gundam 00, but that might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Actually if you can get past the first few episodes, Full Metal Panic! might be up your alley. It transitions from silly highschool nonsense to badass soldier dudes doing badass soldier things with lots of explosions and poo poo, and definitely feels like what you're looking for.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mobile Fighter G Gundam is an intensely cheesy show. It's also my favorite Gundam show because dadgum, I love cheese when done that well.