Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I remember kinda liking AST :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I remodeled my house's ground floor and basement.
Ground floor.

Basement:

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/YtAOCFU
Excal Goblet 3, #41

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ciaphas posted:

I remember kinda liking AST :shobon:

Ast is good and the problem is that the Balance is too good.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

rhoga posted:

I remodeled my house's ground floor and basement.

Here's some pictures of my AST glamour, taken in Rhoga's new studio.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, AST is fun and fine to play but the card system should be "what can I do with the cards I have drawn" but is instead "fish for balance"

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I like white mage more than astro

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Clarste posted:

Also, looking through the skills, Monks are also all in kanji (except Mantra), Scholars have really long kanji skill names that got turned into Latin I guess, and Black mages have Faira and Faiga and Faija and that's really funny to me.

This is kinda interesting. I remember that in a previous interview that Koji was asked about why the English translation calls the spells numerically like "Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3..." instead of the decision to translate them based on their Japanese -Ra, -Ga, and -Ja counterparts. It basically boiled down to simplicity's sake, due to confusion being caused by which abilities are area attacks and which are single attacks. Granted that's still a problem with the skills under their numerical function, but whatever. For an online game it feels a bit more user friendly.

The English in-game lore for spell names is pretty great though.

Great Gubal Library (Hard) posted:

Proceedings of the Council of Magi: Proceedings of the 284th Convocation of the Amdapori Council of Magi

A vote was called to settle on a Name for a potent and newly-fashioned Healing-Spell.
Being that said Healing-Spell was an augmentation of Curaga, erst the most potent Healing-Spell, the following Names were proposed by the Council.

Curago, Curaza, Curaja, Curagura

Finding the afore-mentioned Names duly lacking in Gravity and the existing Hierarchy of Spell-Names needlessly abstruse, the Council did Vote by a margin of Seventeen to Three to do away with existing Naming-Conventions entirely and adopt a new system of numerical Spell-Names, as writ below, to be used henceforth.

Cure I, Cure II, Cure III, Cure IV

It is recorded.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
let astrologian use their cards to magic burst off their own skill chains

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Astrologians should store their teammates in card form and deploy them as necessary

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Had my mind blown today: got back into the game recently. Because I'm dumb and can't connect with a character I haven't played in forever, I'm starting fresh of course. I decided to check some quick tips and... HOLY poo poo How did I not know that just by the Arcanist's guild's aethernet there's a ferry that brings you two meters away from the Waking Sands. Relationship broken with Horizon, now Limsa Lominsa is my new best friend!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
VINNNNNNNNNNNNNNDIIIIIIIIIIIICAAAAAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My bags are starting to fill up with gear and items, what do I do with all the gear and items got? Anything worth keeping?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anything you like the look of, go to the inn and flush it down the glamour toilet, you can put 200 things inside that. Gear you can donate to your GC if you want seals, or desynth it or sell it idk. There's not much that's actually worth saving unless you plan on using it for glamour or it took you effort to get.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The problem with AST is draw itself. Healing in savage means you plan with your cohealer when you use which cooldowns for the entire fight to maximize dps uptime. All of that planning does not mesh with random card draws, so because you can't count on having a spread bole, it's just better to use the reliable option and fish for more damage with balance.

The only way cards would work is if you have a set hand and each card had its own cooldown, so you could plan out when you use which card and on whom for the whole fight. Anything short of that won't fix the balance problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 8, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have hardly ever touched Savages and do most of my healing in dungeons. I like AST a lot more than WHM (other than Gravity being level 52) and while I would agree that Balance is definitely the "best" card, the only "bad" card has been Spire, which I imagine they are going to have to rework anyway if they are removing TP.

I would personally hope that if they rebalance the cards, they do not nerf Balance, but instead buff Spear and Arrow in some way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

They're actually removing TP?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

They're actually removing TP?

yes, TP and MP are merging into an exciting new resource

called MP

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Make the cards take an instant form of another class's random spell and remove the cards' effeect on the tuning of the efficacy of AST. Sometimes you get an adlo, sometimes a Verholy, sometimes a raise, sometimes a Fire 4, sometimes a painflare, sometimes a medica.

Believing in the heart of the cards gets you a holy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Countblanc posted:

yes, TP and MP are merging into an exciting new resource

called MP

Did they actually say they're being merged or just that they're removing TP? Because I hear this "they're being merged" thing a lot and that's completely different from just removing TP, imo. But oftentimes it seems like people are just assuming that all moves with TP costs will be given MP costs without that actually being stated anywhere. And I don't think that makes much sense given the differences between how TP and MP work. There's no reason that most moves can't just have 0 cost at all: they're limited by cooldowns and your rotation anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
idk

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Every class is now getting a Heat Gauge.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they are not going to make melee AoE free

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh word, like in Yakuza?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mr. Locke posted:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

why not

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Clarste posted:

There's no reason that most moves can't just have 0 cost at all: they're limited by cooldowns and your rotation anyway.

TP and MP costs are there specifically so that players will eventually run out of resources and be unable to sandbag through encounters. Even if they manage to squeak by any DPS/Healing/Tank LB check.
Also making all of the TP classes abilities free screws over the current MP using classes because they continue to burn a resource (BLM mostly doesn't care but other casters and healers do.)

Thus it's a reasonable expectation that they won't change the underlying design theory and just convert costs into MP and adjust numbers to maintain how much you can do until you're running on empty.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

It'd be nice if they did so I never need to see a Goad macro again. Especially the ones from tanks who can't be bothered to use cooldowns or notice I'm at like 10% MP because I've been force feeding them Benefic 2s to keep them up but they just go and pull the boss anyway.

Okay so that was only like one tank but still.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Nessus posted:

Oh word, like in Yakuza?

gonna smash a bicycle over the emperor's dumb helmet

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

pray for my aunt posted:

gonna smash a bicycle over the emperor's dumb helmet

tenspeedgunbreaker

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yozora Heart's Guide to Galaxy Brain Ninja Strats:

1) Flub your mudra and get a bunny.
2) See that Kassatsu is off cooldown. Press Kassatsu before you clear the bunny.
3) Press your Kassatsu Bunny like a knob
4) Hit Mug
5) Enter Ten Chi Jin because it's time to suffer
6) Move.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

TP and MP costs are there specifically so that players will eventually run out of resources and be unable to sandbag through encounters. Even if they manage to squeak by any DPS/Healing/Tank LB check.
Also making all of the TP classes abilities free screws over the current MP using classes because they continue to burn a resource (BLM mostly doesn't care but other casters and healers do.)

Thus it's a reasonable expectation that they won't change the underlying design theory and just convert costs into MP and adjust numbers to maintain how much you can do until you're running on empty.

The situation of people flubbing their way through an encounter is so rare it’d be laughable to base a design decision around it. Anything that matters for balance is going to have a strict DPS check that already limits how many corpses you can have. Who really cares if some group takes 20 minutes to kill a dungeon boss?

The only reason mp is a resource for non-healer casters is to limit their ability to endlessly raise people and mana shift to healers.

Just removing tp actually is a viable option. RDM and SMN won’t run out of mana doing aoe even now, lol BLM. TP is already far more limiting to aoe than mp ever was.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I mean, resource costs realistically only serves 4 purposes: make dungeons slower when you are physical dps heavy, poo poo on samurais for building skill speed, stop the healer from casting holy/gravity/miasma 2 forever, and curtail infinite rezzes. Of the 4, only the latter is actually important.

Secret 5th reason: ruin a melee dps's loving day when they die, rez, invigorate, and die again before invigorate is off cooldown.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

Make the cards take an instant form of another class's random spell and remove the cards' effeect on the tuning of the efficacy of AST. Sometimes you get an adlo, sometimes a Verholy, sometimes a raise, sometimes a Fire 4, sometimes a painflare, sometimes a medica.

Believing in the heart of the cards gets you a holy.

...so, you mean what Minor Arcana does?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Yozora Heart's Guide to Galaxy Brain Ninja Strats:

1) Flub your mudra and get a bunny.
2) See that Kassatsu is off cooldown. Press Kassatsu before you clear the bunny.

I hit 50 on NIN earlier in the week and have already done this a few times. As a SMN main it's nice to know that other jobs have an equivalent to fat fingering Aetherflow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...so, you mean what Minor Arcana does?

Yeah but cooler and better

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Elves!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Who really cares if some group takes 20 minutes to kill a dungeon boss?
Everyone if it takes you 20 minutes to kill a boss and you only have 15 minutes left on the duty timer :v:

Failboattootoot posted:

I mean, resource costs realistically only serves 4 purposes: make dungeons slower when you are physical dps heavy, poo poo on samurais for building skill speed, stop the healer from casting holy/gravity/miasma 2 forever, and curtail infinite rezzes. Of the 4, only the latter is actually important.
Right, but I can't help but think that having MP be only for healing/resurrecting is something of a monkey's paw wish. 'Cause with everyone being able to DPS without running out of resources how is ability/encounter/dungeon design going to change to fit that?

Or to put another way:

What is going to keep BLMs from flaring away everything in dungeons? (Nerfs/Limitations to AoE is a possibility.)
What is going to keep 8 mans from being dominated by casters in order to maximize how much healing can be done? (Removal/tweaking of Mana Shift and Refresh abilities is a possibility.)
What is the point of DRK's mana management if they don't need to manage it? (tweaking of most of DRK's abilities and Dark Arts most likely.)

It's a pretty big change.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally think MP should be a healer-only thing anyways. It seems like MP for BLM/DRK could be better served with a class mechanic/bar/gauge. DRK basically uses Dark Arts in the same manner as the ammo mechanic from MCH.

BLM MP is a bit more linked to MP but it would be so much better off if their class gauge visualized the MP regeneration ticks as a bar or whatever that was only enabled in umbral ice. Now it's just like "I hope my tick goes off quick so I don't stand around like an idiot waiting for a tick so I can blast this instant fire 3 off", or I guess you can use the tick tracker addon?

Otherwise I can't think of a class that isn't a healer where your MP matters outside of, like, rezzing, that wouldn't be better served with a class gauge.

e: or BRDs just put foe's requiem on a cooldown.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 8, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I can't remember the last time I had to wait for a tick as a BLM. Between Foul and Thundercloud procs you can just drop into Umbral Ice with fuckall for MP and it's fine.

Black Mage's class gauge is already an unholy amalgam, it doesn't need more. Casters should use MP and have to engage in some kind of basic mana management. It's purely aesthetic, but aesthetics are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If the healer runs out of MP, the group is gonna wipe soon anyway, so why does it matter if the Samurai has TP or not? I don't really care about Summoners using MP or not, but the current TP system is almost entirely superfluous. Which is presumably why they're getting rid of it.

The reason they can't just dump all existing TP costs into MP is that MP regenerates at a very different speed from TP. Not to mention stuff like DRK. Doing that would screw over the current balance a billion times more than just deleting TP from the game and forgetting it ever existed.