Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
She’s still able to participate in sports and request access to websites she actually needs. It’s a month, y’all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

\Source: was once a teen girl, can reasonably assume a teen who lies about her age on Tinder is neither emotionally mature nor capable of grasping long-term consequence in a meaningful way yet (aka still a child)

Stop being reasonable. There are hot takes to be had here.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

DreamingofRoses posted:

She’s still able to participate in sports and request access to websites she actually needs. It’s a month, y’all.

No it's a prison sentence she'll never want to talk to him again. In 20 years when he's dying and they'll ask her to come to the hospital she'll say "no. He grounded me for trying to hook up with men when I was 16."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am wondering what goon parents would do if their daughter, 16 years old, was on loving Tinder. Or Ashley Madison.

gently caress, she got off pretty light, but he should have probably talked more with her about why this was a big deal (of course he might have tried, a screaming teen girl totally listens).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The people who aren't saying she's an adult or whatever, I kinda assume they just had a childhood like mine where all discipline was done without communication and so they never learned anything other than how to lie from their punishment. I hope that's what's happening here.

Though I will say that you shouldn't dole out punishment when you are angry and your spouse isn't around. Cool off, talk out the best way to go, go from there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol I investigated CP rings as part of a prior job and investigate human trafficking as part of my current job and one of the last things I did with the supremely good insurance on that prior job was to get snipped because it's real hard to ever want to have kids after seeing/hearing the poo poo I did so uh good on the pops for dropping the hammer on his kid.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What punishment did the dad dole out on himself for letting his kid on tinder? What kind of accountability does the actual adult hold here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's obviously not his fault bc parents can't understand gizmos

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

What punishment did the dad dole out on himself for letting his kid on tinder? What kind of accountability does the actual adult hold here?

He has to read a lovely essay an angry no phone teenager wrote

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

He has to read a lovely essay an angry no phone teenager wrote

I thought torture was illegal.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Bronze Fonz posted:

He posted an update today:

I [28M] am going to get in touch with my ex [27F]

That terminal illness is taking way too loving long.

I'm going to ab*se your rear end in a top hat as a foot cozy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for rejecting an animal as a gift?

My daughter's turtle of 5 years died (was injured so we took care of it) she was heartbroken as we all were. Our neighbor who is a close family friend decided to catch and "gift" a wild turtle.

I explained my wife and I can not accept it. That turtles depending on species have an insane amount of needs and a wild turtle would need a large enclosure to be happy among other things.

Basically everyone is calling me ungrateful, wife sees nothing is wrong. I have yet to inform our 13 year old since I am hoping i can convince the family friend to release it from where they found it.

So.. AITA? What should i do?

Note: there are no animal sanctuaries for animals like this where i am from.

Edit: typo

Edit 2: Update: Thought it might get lost in the comments. The short of it is after reading about diseases and about basic misery it would be in my wife agrees to not accept it. We will be talking to the neighbor and again gently encourage he release it where he got it from (as close as possible).

No there are no animal rescues here... Animal control or what passes for it simply kill animals. Primary focus would be more cats or dogs (spay neuter and release). Wild animals... Not a concern sadly.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for divorcing husband over his past sperm donation?

Married for 8 years, have one child (3F) together

When we started dating he was very clear that he had donated sperm in the past

I never asked him how much but just assumed it was just a couple of kids

Actually ask him last week and he tells me the fertility centres last updated him at 47 kids

I was... Not expecting that many.

It's clearly my fault for not asking how many. At the time, I literally said I "didn't care" about his sperm donation and "didn't want to know", so I can't blame him for not telling me how many. I literally told him not to.

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

I can't stop thinking about all the problems this will cause when we're older.

WIBTA for divorcing him for something that he was very upfront about?!?!

Edit: I forgot to mention. All the kids are legally entitled to his contact details when they turn 18

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my cousin he is being unreasonable and a dick for not having a microphone at his wedding?

My cousin got married. I was in attendance with 250 other people. The couple decided to do the whole ceremony without having anyone use a microphone. This led to me, and the 30-some other attendees with hearing loss not hearing a single word. My hearing aids couldn't even make up for that. The groom's brother is Deaf, and also has hearing aids, and he also had a completely blank look on his face, because hey, we couldn't hear anything. Neither could any senior.

I was talking to my cousin several weeks after the wedding, and I mentioned the lack of microphone, and he told me "it was a $20 surcharge, so we decided you could all go without." I told him that since I drove the two hours one way to his wedding, I'd have liked to have had a shot in hell of hearing it. And I'm sure his brother would have liked to as well, along with everyone else who complained after that they couldn't hear a word. Again, he mentions this surcharge. I told him he was being unreasonable, and a dick for not even thinking that HIS OWN BROTHER, would be sitting there with nary a clue as to what was happening., and that I'd have given him the stupid $20 so that we, mostly the brother, could feel INCLUDED.

​he called me a bitch, and an rear end in a top hat for questioning his wedding. AITA?

​Edit: the only reason why this was brought up was because he asked what I thought of his vows. I had to tell him I couldn't hear em'.

Again, he has a deaf brother

​Double edit: mY GOD THIS BLEW UP. Anywyas, I've had quite a few people asking why I dissed his wedding, the truth is, he asked me first, and that conversation went as follows:

"hey mmmmaplesyrup, I noticed you didn't laugh at my vows, was my humor above you?"

Oh, no cousin, I didn't hear them, I notice you didn't have a microphone"

"oh yeah, it was $20, so we decided you all could go without, (bride's) family could hear them fine"

"oh really? I mean for $20 I'd have paid to make sure we were included, I mean I know (brother) didn't hear anything and i don't think (other family members) did either"

"oh, you didn't use your listening ears. Too bad for you"

"hey man, we couldnt hear because most of us have a lot of hearing loss, it's genetic remember?

"well I don't have that problem, you all use that as an excuse to not be in the army"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That dude’s genes are OUT THERE, guys. Good Christ that’s a lot of offspring.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Actually ask him last week and he tells me the fertility centres last updated him at 47 kids

It's clearly my fault for not asking how many. At the time, I literally said I "didn't care" about his sperm donation and "didn't want to know", so I can't blame him for not telling me how many. I literally told him not to.

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

Edit: I forgot to mention. All the kids are legally entitled to his contact details when they turn 18

Hahahahaha good lord this guy must have some good stats or something because good lord.

Also I feel like you should have spoiler tagged that number lol!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

WrenP-Complete posted:

The effort to monitor his daughter's online habits more closely. Severe punishments require severe effort to enforce them. Not all 'nice' parents are lenient out of empathy or trust- a lot of time they are just really goddamn lazy because following through on a punishment takes work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

yes you idiot how many sperm do you think is in just one of those samples, this dude could produce literally millions of kids

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That guy is virile as hell!

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smirking_Serpent posted:

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

Some hardcore r strategy going on here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

The effort to monitor his daughter's online habits more closely. Severe punishments require severe effort to enforce them. Not all 'nice' parents are lenient out of empathy or trust- a lot of time they are just really goddamn lazy because following through on a punishment takes work.

That's what he was supposed to be doing all along though. Having to actually do your job as a parent isn't a punishment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Future paleontologists will use his genetic markers to track historic human migration patterns

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Try not to donate any sperm on the way through the parking lot!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Barudak posted:

Future paleontologists will use his genetic markers to track historic human migration patterns

His children's Tinder punishments will mark the beginning of a new epoch

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my cousin he is being unreasonable and a dick for not having a microphone at his wedding?
"well I don't have that problem, you all use that as an excuse to not be in the army"

The cousin is a POS. His own brother has hearing loss and he couldn't spring $20 for a mic.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My daughter's turtle of 5 years died (was injured so we took care of it) she was heartbroken as we all were. Our neighbor who is a close family friend decided to catch and "gift" a wild turtle.

I explained my wife and I can not accept it. That turtles depending on species have an insane amount of needs and a wild turtle would need a large enclosure to be happy among other things.

Basically everyone is calling me ungrateful, wife sees nothing is wrong. I have yet to inform our 13 year old since I am hoping i can convince the family friend to release it from where they found it.

Edit 2: Update: Thought it might get lost in the comments. The short of it is after reading about diseases and about basic misery it would be in my wife agrees to not accept it. We will be talking to the neighbor and again gently encourage he release it where he got it from (as close as possible).

No there are no animal rescues here... Animal control or what passes for it simply kill animals. Primary focus would be more cats or dogs (spay neuter and release). Wild animals... Not a concern sadly.

What the gently caress is everyone in this dudes life taking crazy pills??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why are the kids legally entitled to his contact information when they turn 18? I'd never really considered it before but that seems...odd. Sperm banks exist entirely so that women can get pregnant without needing to personally know the father; surely that works in reverse, too? What if the donor doesn't want to know anything about any kids he's fathered?

God drat 47 kids. Hope he doesn't live in a small town

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Why are the kids legally entitled to his contact information when they turn 18? I'd never really considered it before but that seems...odd. Sperm banks exist entirely so that women can get pregnant without needing to personally know the father; surely that works in reverse, too? What if the donor doesn't want to know anything about any kids he's fathered?

God drat 47 kids. Hope he doesn't live in a small town

Their medical information is pretty important. He might have a predisposition to some sort of illness.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It doesn't matter anyway, since DNA testing services could find him regardless.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

OP is the only same person here.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

This is reproductive success right here.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My cousin got married. I was in attendance with 250 other people. The couple decided to do the whole ceremony without having anyone use a microphone. This led to me, and the 30-some other attendees with hearing loss not hearing a single word. My hearing aids couldn't even make up for that. The groom's brother is Deaf, and also has hearing aids, and he also had a completely blank look on his face, because hey, we couldn't hear anything. Neither could any senior.

I was talking to my cousin several weeks after the wedding, and I mentioned the lack of microphone, and he told me "it was a $20 surcharge, so we decided you could all go without." I told him that since I drove the two hours one way to his wedding, I'd have liked to have had a shot in hell of hearing it. And I'm sure his brother would have liked to as well, along with everyone else who complained after that they couldn't hear a word. Again, he mentions this surcharge. I told him he was being unreasonable, and a dick for not even thinking that HIS OWN BROTHER, would be sitting there with nary a clue as to what was happening., and that I'd have given him the stupid $20 so that we, mostly the brother, could feel INCLUDED.

​he called me a bitch, and an rear end in a top hat for questioning his wedding. AITA?

​Edit: the only reason why this was brought up was because he asked what I thought of his vows. I had to tell him I couldn't hear em'.

Again, he has a deaf brother

​Double edit: mY GOD THIS BLEW UP. Anywyas, I've had quite a few people asking why I dissed his wedding, the truth is, he asked me first, and that conversation went as follows:

"hey mmmmaplesyrup, I noticed you didn't laugh at my vows, was my humor above you?"

Oh, no cousin, I didn't hear them, I notice you didn't have a microphone"

"oh yeah, it was $20, so we decided you all could go without, (bride's) family could hear them fine"

"oh really? I mean for $20 I'd have paid to make sure we were included, I mean I know (brother) didn't hear anything and i don't think (other family members) did either"

"oh, you didn't use your listening ears. Too bad for you"

"hey man, we couldnt hear because most of us have a lot of hearing loss, it's genetic remember?

Your cousin is a piece of poo poo HTH.

FAUXTON posted:

Lol I investigated CP rings as part of a prior job and investigate human trafficking as part of my current job and one of the last things I did with the supremely good insurance on that prior job was to get snipped because it's real hard to ever want to have kids after seeing/hearing the poo poo I did so uh good on the pops for dropping the hammer on his kid.

Yeah I think this dad went a little hard with "no friends" but other than that a month grounding is lenient and phone is just a natural consequence.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My brother (30s, m) is newly engaged after his wife died and I (20s, f) am having a hard time with his behavior.

Hi all!

My brother recently got engaged to a new woman (30sish, f) after his wife of 10 years died. This engagement comes three months after she lost her battle with cancer. I feel conflicted, as I know I have no place to tell him what to do with her interpersonal relationships. However, his callousness towards his deceased wife and his jumping into a new relationship right after her death is affecting how I feel towards him.

There are a few sort of "red flags" in his behavior that bother me. He posted on facebook to announce his engagement. His former brother in law (deceased wife's brother) commented that it was just raw to see him move on so fast. My brother then wrote back "She wasn't the wife or mother she wanted to be for the last 18 months." The way he went about it seemed to be that it was easier to move on because she wasn't being attentive. She had cancer had been on her deathbed.

Another point is that new fiance looks EXACTLY like old wife. In a weird way, it seems like they are just trying to replace the old wife. On the same facebook announcement, new fiance had responded to the brother in law that the kids needed a mother and she intended to fill that role. Maybe it's not my business, but replacing someones mother after her death seems rather callous.

Overall, where I'm looking for advice and my main question is, am I overstepping? I haven't said anything to him about this, but it really is affecting how I feel about him. Obviously he must be going through a lot as a dying spouse can't be easy, but it seems like he's moved past it and just wants to start a new life with his new replacement wife where his kids can have a new replacement mother.

TL;DR: My brother got engaged 3 months after his first wife died, and his behavior afterwards has been affecting the way I see him.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
That sucks. The guy is probably unhinged after his wife died :(

Possible he’s a loving rear end in a top hat, but I find that unlikely

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (40F) partner (44M) proposed with a ring that isn't my style at all, and I would be prohibited from wearing at my job. We each think the other is being ridiculous about it. Help us.
Picturing one of those 90s goth claw rings that go over your whole finger.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

....But 47?! Christ!!!!

OP: Oh, my God. [customer walks up to pay] 47! My husband donated sperm to make 47 kids!

Customer: In a row?

OP, as husband is leaving: Hey, try not to donate any sperm on your way through the parking lot!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Ancestor donated land to a college with a stipulation that his descendants can attend for free with proceeds from donation.

One of my ancestors donated money and land to a college in MA, in his will, with the stipulation that "any of his kin" can attend for free with proceeds from the donation given they are accepted with their own merit. The will is dated way more than a 100 years ago, but the college is still active with one of their building named after this man.

My grandmother always talked about this when I was younger (her maiden name is the same as this man), but me nor any of the family gave it any thought. Years later, after the internet became a thing, we were contacted by a distant relative doing research into the family background. After a lot of research I managed to find a copy of the will online and save it.

I am wondering if this is something worth pursuing for my son(2)? If so, where do I start? What kind of lawyer would even specialize in this? We live in MI

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ancestor donated land to a college with a stipulation that his descendants can attend for free with proceeds from donation.

If so, where do I start?

You talk to the school you moron. Obv if they tell you to pound sand you could talk to a lawyer that deals with contracts or whatever but you seem pretty sure your kid is gonna wanna go to school.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A redditor advises: Don't bother before right before your kid is going to college, then if they refuse hire a lawyer.

What's that? Legal proceedings can take forever you say?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Vinny Possum posted:

Some hardcore r strategy going on here.

K selection is for wimps

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

A redditor advises: Don't bother before right before your kid is going to college, then if they refuse hire a lawyer.

What's that? Legal proceedings can take forever you say?

Yeah I mean just go talk to the school and see what’s up and if they tell you to pound sand start saving for your kids lawyer college fund because the legal fees are probably gonna be the same lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

areyoucontagious posted:

That sucks. The guy is probably unhinged after his wife died :(

Possible he’s a loving rear end in a top hat, but I find that unlikely

The most charitable explanation is that her long illness meant he was grieving her death long before she actually passed, and what he was trying to communicate was that he'd made his peace with losing her well before he actually lost her, but... holy hell, it's loving hard to be charitable here. The quote is just crass as gently caress, even if it's not meant to be.