Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah, i figure they'll just remove TP costs. Infinite Overpower and Total Eclipse aren't going to break the game. I don't know SAM or high level DRG, but I don't think killing trash faster is going to break anything either. Also lol at the concept that casters are limited by their MP when BLM's literal main mechanic is having infinite MP and afaik other dps casters are MP positive as well with Lucid.

I'm hyped that they said instead of the TP bar we're finally getting shield indicators, though. Eyeballing them is a pain and why I can't get the hang of nocturnal AST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Here’s an argument for merging tp and mp: I want to meld piety on my MNK gear.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Right, but I can't help but think that having MP be only for healing/resurrecting is something of a monkey's paw wish. 'Cause with everyone being able to DPS without running out of resources how is ability/encounter/dungeon design going to change to fit that?

Which encounters are designed around DPS TP/MP management right now?

quote:

What is going to keep BLMs from flaring away everything in dungeons? (Nerfs/Limitations to AoE is a possibility.)
BLM MP management is completely different from other classes and would probably stay the same even if you got rid of it for other classes.

quote:

What is going to keep 8 mans from being dominated by casters in order to maximize how much healing can be done? (Removal/tweaking of Mana Shift and Refresh abilities is a possibility.)
What is stopping 8 mans from being dominated by BLM, BRD, and MCH today?

It's because maximizing how much healing you can do isn't the only goal in 8 man content.

quote:

What is the point of DRK's mana management if they don't need to manage it? (tweaking of most of DRK's abilities and Dark Arts most likely.)

It's a pretty big change.
DRK already has to change significantly since they are getting rid of TP.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
so what's the deal with BLU? I haven't picked it up yet myself but I never, ever see it in anything. Is it really bad?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kashuno posted:

so what's the deal with BLU? I haven't picked it up yet myself but I never, ever see it in anything. Is it really bad?

It's level capped at 2 expacs ago, it's actually good spells are mostly RNG from bosses in dungeons or EX primals (and you can't use Duty Finder) and the only current content waiting the end of the grind are just a series of puzzle fights that you can solve p. quickly and you do weekly for seals.

As such there's just....not a lot to do with the class.

It is getting update in ShB, eventually. The explicitly said the level cap would be raised in the 5.X patches so you probably won't even get much at launch for it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 8, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

It's a special job they exclude from all duty finder content, even though it has to farm (extreme) primals an excessive number of times thanks to RNG and low drop rates, for the few spells worth using (and those are required to actually clear those "puzzle" fights mentioned above).

Good luck!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kashuno posted:

It's a class with bad rng mechanics to get their spells and your reward for doing it is not getting to play with anyone else

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
lmao why would they make a class that can't do duties

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kashuno posted:

The Wierd quirks of the class make:

Keeping it balanced for duties
and
Fit it's theme

Really hard/impossible, so they made it a side activity.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
BLU's a fun class if you're one of those dudes who likes farming small RNG drops and building loadouts. Farming all of them would probably a little frustrating now without a few friends, but you don't really need all of them in order to do the content they're designed for, the Masked Carnivale. Carnivale's alright. The puzzle fights are fun on a first go-through and they're an easy source of weekly allied seals, but depending on how voraciously you devour content it can all be over quickly and just leave you with some weekly duties to quickly blow through for currency.

There might be some ways to amuse yourself finding alternate methods and solutions in the Masked Carnivale using different skill loadouts, but I couldn't say since that wasn't really my thing. I got two weeks out of the class and had fun with it during them, and I'm hoping they do more with it down the road. I don't think it's ever going to be anything but a quick short side minigame thing though.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 8, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The puzzle of how fast can you hit Off-Guard Bristle Moon Flute Final Sting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I saw some discussion here yesterday about a healing rework and I'm curious about that. Has SE mentioned anything about that or were people just talking about how the healing paradigm that exists now makes it hard to differentiate healers and hoping for an eventual rework?

Also I really hope we get Chemist someday because I really like healing in FFXIV (I love that each heal is really powerful so I get to contribute a lot to actual combat, too) but I'm itching for a healer with a really different aesthetic. Let me heal people by shooting potions out of a cannon or something.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

I saw some discussion here yesterday about a healing rework and I'm curious about that. Has SE mentioned anything about that or were people just talking about how the healing paradigm that exists now makes it hard to differentiate healers and hoping for an eventual rework?

Also I really hope we get Chemist someday because I really like healing in FFXIV (I love that each heal is really powerful so I get to contribute a lot to actual combat, too) but I'm itching for a healer with a really different aesthetic. Let me heal people by shooting potions out of a cannon or something.

Interviews have stated that part of the reason they didn't add a healer was the current paradigm making balancing 4 healers even harder.

Currently as you need a shield healer (as a lot of raidwides deal > Max HP) and the regen is generally paired for throughput, adding a fourth would make it hard to balance with the way things are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Interviews have stated that part of the reason they didn't add a healer was the current paradigm making balancing 4 healers even harder.

Currently as you need a shield healer (as a lot of raidwides deal > Max HP) and the regen is generally paired for throughput, adding a fourth would make it hard to balance with the way things are.

Yeah, and that makes a lot of sense. It does make me wonder what they could do to meaningfully change that. I'm not nearly experienced enough at savage-level content or FFXIV healing to identify places where things could change without just adopting WoW's healing model or something (which might make honest healers happy I guess?) but I'm definitely curious to see what changes going forward.

I wish FFXIV had room for a Disc Priest/Rift Chloromancer-style heal-by-doing-damage job but given that healers already contribute DPS in FFXIV that'd be an utter nightmare to balance here. It barely works even in the games that have a class like that, really.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I think you could make a Chemist work a lot like AST but maybe with debuffs instead of buffs; throw around regen or shielding potions, cover the mobs in poison and gases. It would Mix instead of draw and random debuffs come out.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

I wish FFXIV had room for a Disc Priest/Rift Chloromancer-style heal-by-doing-damage job but given that healers already contribute DPS in FFXIV that'd be an utter nightmare to balance here. It barely works even in the games that have a class like that, really.

Honestly, the fact that healers are already doing damage gives them a baseline of DPS and HPS target, which would probably make it easier to balance. It's harder in WoW where you have to balance against other healers that are doing close to 0 DPS in any serious fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the key to just do away with the regen healer vs. shield healer dichotomy? It seems like a lot of encounters are balanced around someone providing shields so I'm not exactly sure how that'd work, but it might free them up to differentiate healers in other ways that don't have to do with how they interact with HP.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing about a topic I know too little about to suggest anything useful, mostly I'm curious what more experienced players think could work.

Ryanbomber posted:

Honestly, the fact that healers are already doing damage gives them a baseline of DPS and HPS target, which would probably make it easier to balance. It's harder in WoW where you have to balance against other healers that are doing close to 0 DPS in any serious fight.

Yeah, that's true, I didn't really think of it that way.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Am I missing something with what I can put in my dresser? I just finished the MSQ and got the gear from the last quest, which is all statless glamour fodder, but it won't let me put it in my dresser. Isn't that the entire point with these statless sets?

Also I have never done any glamours at all ever so maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

garfield hentai posted:

Am I missing something with what I can put in my dresser? I just finished the MSQ and got the gear from the last quest, which is all statless glamour fodder, but it won't let me put it in my dresser. Isn't that the entire point with these statless sets?

Also I have never done any glamours at all ever so maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about

It probably should be, but these days what you can shove in the armoire boils down to seasonal event rewards and cross-platform promotional materials. They fit into the glamour dresser, but you need a glamour prism per item you put in it to do so. You'll find glamour dressers in any inn room and squadron chambers.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Ironslave posted:

It probably should be, but these days what you can shove in the armoire boils down to seasonal event rewards and cross-platform promotional materials. They fit into the glamour dresser, but you need a glamour prism per item you put in it to do so. You'll find glamour dressers in any inn room and squadron chambers.

Ahh, okay. I was in the inn and tried both the armoire and the dresser and neither worked, didn't realize you needed a prism to stick them in there. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Basically, buy a stack of glamour prisms then head for an inn and try to store stuff in the Armoire, and dresser if that fails (the former is limited only by what the devs flag as storable; the latter is capped at 200 items)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kashuno posted:

Because BLU is side content and the whole point of it is the Masked Carnivale. Every Masked Carnivale fight is a puzzle of mechanics meant to be tackled solo, and the fun of BLU is sussing out what loadout of spells will best solve that puzzle.

It's not really a class at all. It's just side content for people who are into puzzle fights where elemental weaknesses and that kind of thing are relevant.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Spuzzz posted:

I think you could make a Chemist work a lot like AST but maybe with debuffs instead of buffs; throw around regen or shielding potions, cover the mobs in poison and gases. It would Mix instead of draw and random debuffs come out.

I don't think buff vs debuff is that simple. You have lots of various buffs that are meaningful: damage up, defence up, speed up, various stats up (which all conditionally turn into damage up), resource regen up, threat manipulation, HP up, healing up, and HoT effects.

There are only three debuffs that matter: damage taken up, damage dealt down, and damage over time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Since Flare burns off the rest of my mana as a BLM, how do I use it at 50 without ruining my DPS by having to Transpose and get back up to Umbral 3? Do I only use it when I can swiftcast > flare > convert > blizzard 3?

Edit: Since I assume I only use it for AOE, so do I just Fire 2 until I don't have enough for that, Flare, then Blizzard 2 until I can recast Fire 3 and repeat?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since Flare burns off the rest of my mana as a BLM, how do I use it at 50 without ruining my DPS by having to Transpose and get back up to Umbral 3? Do I only use it when I can swiftcast > flare > convert > blizzard 3?

Nah you just go ahead and transpose. I think there's some kind of timing you do so you don't have to wait so long for your mp to tick but yeah at 50 if you don't have convert and swiftcast ready you just transpose and flare again.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think going and popping Transpose after Flare (+whatever Convert/Ether shenanigans you do) is actually exactly what you're supposed to do. Transpose -> Blizzard 3 -> Thunder Whatever -> Fire 3 -> do stuff.

Or just do what I do and forget you have Flare because you took BLM from 44 to 54 with nonstop command missions in Dzaemel Darkhold and Aurum Vale and now you're in Sohm Al and what is this Flare and Sharpcast and Leylines and ahh how do I do this!?!?!?

so don't listen to me is what I'm saying, I've built up bad habits.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Since I assume I only use it for AOE, so do I just Fire 2 until I don't have enough for that, Flare, then Blizzard 2 until I can recast Fire 3 and repeat?

You can use the Convert to cast another flare, and use the MP regen tick after transpose to cast blizzard 3. Or probably just use thunder 2/4, and then fire 3 with whatever MP you've regenerated in that time. I'd ignore the blizz 2 all together, to get back to fire 2/flares.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been leveling BLM recently and what I've done is bought a stack of X-ethers for 50 content and done Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > slowcast Flare > Ether > slowcast Flare > Transpose for the first cycle and then just Flare > Transpose for the rest until Convert and potions are back.

Now I'm 60 and I have to figure it out again in time to be 70 and figure it out again.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

garfield hentai posted:

Ahh, okay. I was in the inn and tried both the armoire and the dresser and neither worked, didn't realize you needed a prism to stick them in there. Thanks!

As a general note, in my experience there are two ways that the game deals with truly unique gear (ie there is no longer any way to get them after the first time):

1) it makes them undiscardable and lets you put them in the armoire; or
2) you can buy additional copies for a fairly small amount of gil from the Calamity Salvager in any capital city (or in your house, if you hire one).

The range of stuff you can buy from the Calamity Salvager is much wider than the stuff you can put in your armoire, so if you're short on inventory space it can be worth chucking these unique items out and rebuying them if you ever want them again. Just be careful, since there are some items that you might think are unique but can actually be obtained in some other (harder) way; best to check the salvager first to make sure they sell them.

(Also, there's a known issue currently where the most recent gear set from the MSQ isn't actually sold by house salvagers, but is by the city salvagers.)

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It works out that the damage you do by casting Fire 2 doesn't justify spending more time in Umbral Ice to get the mp. So basically, you can do something like Fire 3 > Flare > Transpose > Thunder 2/4 > Repeat.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is the key to just do away with the regen healer vs. shield healer dichotomy? It seems like a lot of encounters are balanced around someone providing shields so I'm not exactly sure how that'd work, but it might free them up to differentiate healers in other ways that don't have to do with how they interact with HP.

There are 2 ways to think about it.

1:

You go the tank route.

Currently they are leaning towards, with 4 tanks

2 Main tanks (meant to spend most of the time fighting the boss, better defensive tools/threat)

2 Off tanks(Better support/DPS tools (At least possibly) meant to take certain mechanics/adds)

to balance them, so instead of 1v1v1v1 it's 1v1 + 1v1, and it's a direct comparison.

((This has issues with for example the paladin being themed as a main tank but being one of the best at offtanking atm))

This has issues with the fact that ast would have to pick a role to be balanced (it can't really straddle the line) and also locking them in, it also honestly has limited functionality. There are only so many ways you can do shields and regen.

2: You break the paradigm

Pros: You can do whatever you want

Con's: You'd have to entirely rethink/balance fights

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I don't envy the balance guys trying to fix healers. Shields are necessary and necessarily can't stack, so that turns into a whole hosed up thing if you assume content should be clearable with any two healers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zandar posted:

As a general note, in my experience there are two ways that the game deals with truly unique gear (ie there is no longer any way to get them after the first time):

1) it makes them undiscardable and lets you put them in the armoire; or
2) you can buy additional copies for a fairly small amount of gil from the Calamity Salvager in any capital city (or in your house, if you hire one).
It's worth noting that at this juncture, there's still no way to get back the Nameless Armor set or the Red Attire set that you're given to start Samurai/Red Mage, and they're discardable. One would hope they'll be replaceable come Shadowbringers, but it's still a notable exception at present.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Everyone if it takes you 20 minutes to kill a boss and you only have 15 minutes left on the duty timer :v:

Right, but I can't help but think that having MP be only for healing/resurrecting is something of a monkey's paw wish. 'Cause with everyone being able to DPS without running out of resources how is ability/encounter/dungeon design going to change to fit that?

Or to put another way:

What is going to keep BLMs from flaring away everything in dungeons? (Nerfs/Limitations to AoE is a possibility.)
What is going to keep 8 mans from being dominated by casters in order to maximize how much healing can be done? (Removal/tweaking of Mana Shift and Refresh abilities is a possibility.)
What is the point of DRK's mana management if they don't need to manage it? (tweaking of most of DRK's abilities and Dark Arts most likely.)

It's a pretty big change.

DRK is kind of like BLM, their mana management is a mini game within the class.

Everything else you listed is already how the game works. A red mage will not run out of mana unless they are constantly raising and mana shifting people, which already means your DPS will be trash and you probably won’t meet enrage timers. Enrage timers are how the game deals with DPS with infinite resources already.

Think of it this way: as in all MMOs, the most valuable resource isn’t mana or stamina or whatever. It’s your gcd. If you’re wasting time raising people, if people are wasting theirs being dead and also their gcds aren’t as good because they just got raised, you’re going to run into problems.

When you’re healing savage content, it’s very rare that you run into mana issues, because usually that denotes either people needing raises or something like god kefka’s first minute or two, where to meet healing checks you have to spend mana on non-optimal abilities, like spamming succor as a sch. God kefka already accounts for that by reducing the healing load after that part so healers can recover. Asking for a mana shift is what happens after the healer died, generally, because it also wastes the dps’s time.

Just removing TP changes pretty much nothing about the game except for tp gain abilities, skill speed not being as trash(except for drg sorry), and drk maybe being weird. Pubbies melee aoe won’t also be like pulling teeth to get them to use, and if everyone is using their aoes tp isn’t really a concern anyway, just that thing you invigorate and goad the tank for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ran into a THM doing leveling roulette yesterday who I don't think understood damage numbers because they were casting Fire II/Blizzard II even on single targets.

I can understand being sort of confused about "but it says II, shouldn't it be better than the first one" but I don't know how you don't notice while playing solo that suddenly you're killing a lot more slowly when you use Fire II.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Any change to make pub melees(or really any) use AOE is a good one imo, up to and including taking away all their non-aoe buttons outside of boss fights

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BLM should keep MP because the job actually does something interesting with it.

I don't want to make a WoW comparison, but it's sort of like how mana only matters to healers and Arcane Mages in WoW--healers have it because it's important for them to have a finite resource, and Arcane Mages actively use it because their class mechanics interact with spending and regaining mana. Every other caster technically has a mana meter but either ignores it almost entirely (Fire and Frost Mages, for example, who care a ton more about procs than resources) or uses another kind of resource and only touches mana when they cast a healing spell (Elemental Shamans and Balance Druids, for example).

So if MP became a mostly-healer resource, BLM could still use it because it's an important part of the job's rhythm and serves more as a pacing mechanic than a resource. Other jobs don't really need it. I guess maybe RDMs would be able to Verraise too often, but you could solve that either by giving Verraise a cooldown or making it debuff you so it temporarily stunts your black/white mana gain or something.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

DRK already has to change significantly since they are getting rid of TP.

if you literally just removed the TP gauge and the DRK abilities that use TP completely free, absolutely nothing about DRK would change in the slightest

i have never once gave a single iota of a poo poo about how much TP i have as DRK

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

if you literally just removed the TP gauge and the DRK abilities that use TP completely free, absolutely nothing about DRK would change in the slightest

i have never once gave a single iota of a poo poo about how much TP i have as DRK

I wasn't clear but I meant in the hypothetical world where they combine TP and MP rather than just dropping TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

i'm not certain anything even can drain a DRK's TP, save Unleash spam with an enhanced Arrow I guess???????