Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Its about to get a whole lot worse. Miller spoke with The Daily Caller about what is next

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/02/stephen-miller-crackdown-illegal-immigration/

quote:

Noting that there are approximately 1 million illegal aliens in the United States with final removal orders that still remain at large — in some cases for several years — Miller gave one example of the type of executive action the administration can take. The presidential adviser noted that existing law has a statute that allows for a “significant financial penalty” for every single day that an alien resides in the country after being ordered removed.

Miller stressed that legal immigration abuse will be targeted aggressively, particularly “welfare seeking” by legal immigrants or in some cases “welfare tourism.” He neglected to offer a timeline for when the orders will be implemented but said that “this is going to begin right away.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Easy solution - price caps plus government funded awards for the development of drugs deemed important.

Given the complete market failure in pharmaceuticals (what do you get when you combine collusion, profit chasing over patients well-being, and laws written specifically to line their pockets?), I've felt that the government needs to get into the drug manufacturing business. Basically, a semi-private organization like the post office that can be allowed to run at basically marginal prices that just makes out of patent medications. You can spread out the manufacturing across the country so that every congressional district gets to wet their beak like current defense contracting except that this would provide things that actually benefit people. It's not a perfect idea, but it would prevent things like everyone except one guy jumping out of the market for a commonly prescribed medication who then increases the price ten to twenty times, or the extreme shortages that result when something disrupts one facility.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Easy solution - price caps plus government funded awards for the development of drugs deemed important.

Height caps for pharma executives are what I am thinking given the current stat of 1 out of 4 people with diabetes skipping insulin doses due to cost. :gritin:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Its about to get a whole lot worse. Miller spoke with The Daily Caller about what is next

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/02/stephen-miller-crackdown-illegal-immigration/

Enforceable, this is not. Hmm.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Given the complete market failure in pharmaceuticals (what do you get when you combine collusion, profit chasing over patients well-being, and laws written specifically to line their pockets?), I've felt that the government needs to get into the drug manufacturing business. Basically, a semi-private organization like the post office that can be allowed to run at basically marginal prices that just makes out of patent medications. You can spread out the manufacturing across the country so that every congressional district gets to wet their beak like current defense contracting except that this would provide things that actually benefit people. It's not a perfect idea, but it would prevent things like everyone except one guy jumping out of the market for a commonly prescribed medication who then increases the price ten to twenty times, or the extreme shortages that result when something disrupts one facility.

This is exactly the sort of poo poo I’m talking about here.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This is to my knowledge the first time Miller's commented on drat near anything to the press. He must be getting awfully bold.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1114942142445699072

Really good thread on how "Family Farms" don't really exist as most non-farmers imagine them.

Edit: Her podcast Farm to Taber is also really good for any interested PodGoons

This thread is well worth everyone's time

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

"Welfare tourism."

Stick your head up your rear end so far it never comes out, Stephen. We're mostly working with refugees here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There needs to be a coordinated effort to bake political cartoons and commentary about Stephen Miller bossing Trump around and being the real president

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

This is exactly the sort of poo poo I’m talking about here.

I'd love to have more reliable production for common medications. ARB's have been hosed for the better part of a year now and trying to source a replacement drug for a patient when their losartan/valsartan/irbesartan disappears for a time of "who knows, backordered", then the replacement becomes backordered, then the replacement for THAT becomes backordered, creating a stupid time wasting and health eroding loop between us, the doctor's office and manufacturers is all sorts of frustrating.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tayter Swift posted:

This is to my knowledge the first time Miller's commented on drat near anything to the press. He must be getting awfully bold.

This isn’t true? He’s been quoted a lot in articles, and he’s been on some of the big networks making a full of himself.

Edit well I guess it’s true to your knowledge but no, he pops out of is hidey hole every few months to be racist as poo poo. I think he avoids the limelight though so trump doesn’t get suspicious of thunder stealing, and also he’s faced public backlash once or twice for being a genocidal racist.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 8, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We just need to do whatever’s possible to get Trump to promote Miller out of his nebulous advisory role and into an official Administrative position. That begins the ticking clock to him inevitably getting fired.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda funny and sad how there were articles early on about how trump was actually good at golf quoting pros that had played with him (and people kind of accepted it because it makes sense it plays an ungodly amount of gold) and now it turns out he's terrible and cheats constantly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1115252726164803589

So has there ever been a legal case where a President’s own Executive Order is used as supporting evidence to argue against the President’s actions?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress it, impeach him over this.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1115252726164803589

So has there ever been a legal case where a President’s own Executive Order is used as supporting evidence to argue agains the President’s actions?

There's about to be.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

CNN via WaPo https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati.../?noredirect=on

FOX: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ern_border.html

FtN via Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/stephen-miller-appeared-scripted-and-angry-sunday/578293/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reminder that the Family Separation was one of the few things that actually pushed Trumps approval ratings back down into the 30s and was so deeply unpopular an issue that it polled under the seemingly rock hard 35% support that Trump seems to have locked in no matter what goes wrong. It was like 25% approval for it IIRC and it caused the rest of the GOP to run away screaming.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that the Family Separation was one of the few things that actually pushed Trumps approval ratings back down into the 30s and was so deeply unpopular an issue that it polled under the seemingly rock hard 35% support that Trump seems to have locked in no matter what goes wrong. It was like 20% approval for it IIRC.

We should have foreseen him doing this, IMO.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Stephen Miller is a turd who sucks itself. :colbert:

I'm saying Miller is a turd sucker.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that the Family Separation was one of the few things that actually pushed Trumps approval ratings back down into the 30s and was so deeply unpopular an issue that it polled under the seemingly rock hard 35% support that Trump seems to have locked in no matter what goes wrong. It was like 25% approval for it IIRC and it caused the rest of the GOP to run away screaming.

i mean we're talking about a guy who wants to make 2020 about healthcare.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean we're talking about a guy who wants to make 2020 about healthcare.

We’re talking about a guy who thinks that the Republicans won the midterms.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

This thread is well worth everyone's time

Sarah Taber is a fantastic expert in the field of farm-science. I am glad you appreciate her too! :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

This isn’t true? He’s been quoted a lot in articles, and he’s been on some of the big networks making a full of himself.

Edit well I guess it’s true to your knowledge but no, he pops out of is hidey hole every few months to be racist as poo poo. I think he avoids the limelight though so trump doesn’t get suspicious of thunder stealing, and also he’s faced public backlash once or twice for being a genocidal racist.

Guess I've just memory holed him then. Sorry about that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

gently caress it, impeach him over this.

We should be doing more than that, we should be breaking down those loving camp walls. This administration is so desperate to go all final solution and waiting to see if our government can actually prevent such a thing is agonizing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Really? Cause all I remember was Republicans swearing up and down that this was an Obama-era policy and they were just continuing it and hey, I'm just here asking questions.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Groovelord Neato posted:

kinda funny and sad how there were articles early on about how trump was actually good at golf quoting pros that had played with him (and people kind of accepted it because it makes sense it plays an ungodly amount of gold) and now it turns out he's terrible and cheats constantly.
Except not really, all that ever got reported was “it’s what he’s best at* and even then it’s impossible to say for certain how he stacks up because there isn’t a second of the game where he doesn’t cheat”

*which is how you call someone like that a failure in all aspects, to their face, and have them miss the point entirely

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

Happens to the best of us. Miller is a brash noisy racist rear end in a top hat who just gets drowned out by Trump because the Orange Goblin is somehow even more so, and well, in charge of the country.

The vessel is shittier than the chemist.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 8, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

I don’t think anyone would blame you for that.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

The problem with this is that although drug patents run out, the company can patent the manufacturing technique. As drugs get more complicated to synthesize, e.g. biologics and the patents on bacteria/chinese hamster ovary cell DNA, the patents are a higher barrier to entry. The government would end up paying out the rear end for patent licenses to patent troll firms and/or get sued for infringement.

So, we have to nationalize the manufacturing patents too. Which is probably against dozens of trade treaties.

It would be amazingly beneficial to the problems we have with drug supply in hospitals. Backorders are affecting patient care constantly. Second and third line agents are used first line because manufacturer A went out of business, or started a new line for more profit. Or skeezy pharmacies are manufacturing them en masse and exposing more patients to higher risk. The entire New England Compounding Center tragedy could have been avoided with a proper distribution chain. (https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...IzOI/story.html)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

It’s actually a real testament to the effectiveness of the GOP anti government death cult agenda that we dont have not just single payer, but a nationalized pharmaceutical manufacturing network. It’s such a fundamental component to national security by way of a healthy citizenry that it should be a no brainer public works investment.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pigbuster posted:

We should be doing more than that, we should be breaking down those loving camp walls. This administration is so desperate to go all final solution and waiting to see if our government can actually prevent such a thing is agonizing.

Nobody in power is personally impacted at all, so they don't care. Anyone with a modicum of power who does care is currently busy fending off attacks from Democratic leadership.

And also spoiler alert I highly doubt there will be any significant movement to stop this once the ethnic cleansing begins in earnest, and it seems like Trump and Miller are currently out of their minds hungry for ethnic cleansing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

REPENT-

"Big Ol' Jet Airoliner" is darkly suggestive of the evil Miller's beliefs.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 8, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ummel posted:

The problem with this is that although drug patents run out, the company can patent the manufacturing technique. As drugs get more complicated to synthesize, e.g. biologics and the patents on bacteria/chinese hamster ovary cell DNA, the patents are a higher barrier to entry. The government would end up paying out the rear end for patent licenses to patent troll firms and/or get sued for infringement.

There are a lot of drugs where there's no concern for that. On top of that, patents are going to run out at the same time; if you patent pikachu as a medication for high blood pressure and the method of manufacturing it, the patents expire at the same time. And further, patent law says explicitly that the Federal government can go "lol, we're just going to use this" so you can't sue them for patent infringement. Doing this with whatever the hot new drug is would be a bad idea for lots of reasons, but there's no concern there.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nobody in power is personally impacted at all, so they don't care. Anyone with a modicum of power who does care is currently busy fending off attacks from Democratic leadership.

And also spoiler alert I highly doubt there will be any significant movement to stop this once the ethnic cleansing begins in earnest, and it seems like Trump and Miller are currently out of their minds hungry for ethnic cleansing.
Sad looking kids in cages are a great way to generate campaign funding, and thus must always exist.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I didn’t check the date on this at first and was like holy poo poo wow, ya got me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Really? Cause all I remember was Republicans swearing up and down that this was an Obama-era policy and they were just continuing it and hey, I'm just here asking questions.

As I recall polling was loving brutal for it since it turns out throwing kids in cages and orphaning them is kind of a universal outrage to all but the worst of the worst. The "Obama started it" stuff was basically an attempt to spin the blame off them because people hating it so much and found it indefensible.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ThomasInPrint/status/1115267020105195521
https://twitter.com/mdubowitz/status/1115267038707179522

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trump the hawk lol, bringing back neocon horseshit like it’s 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bet this has to do with shoring up Bibis electoral support for him.