Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Judakel posted:

Literally using a contrast scale like you're calibrating your monitor at the start of a game.

Doubling down on racism is indeed a bold tactic, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thatfatkid posted:

If maduro is currently pillaging Venezuela, what would you call guaidos plan to sell off publicly owned state assets and initiate austerity measures?
Also kindly gently caress off with this disingenuous smug "friendly" gimmick, friend.

But Maduro sells off state assets already, and has already caused massive austerity from collapsing the social welfare system of Venezuela for real?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

thatfatkid posted:

If maduro is currently pillaging Venezuela, what would you call guaidos plan to sell off publicly owned state assets and initiate austerity measures?
Also kindly gently caress off with this disingenuous smug "friendly" gimmick, friend.

Well the current coup regime has already sold off a lot of state assets to Rosneft and Sinopec, friend, so not quite seeing a difference to me that *particular* point?

As to austerity, everyone knows of the ruinous hyperinflationary policies of the coup regime, and only an idiot (a title you clearly do *not* qualify for, friend!) would support continuing this ruinous practice. Obviously some reasonable policy is needed once the Maduro coup is tossed out of Miraflores that returns the Venezuelan economy to sanity.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judakel posted:

Literally using a contrast scale like you're calibrating your monitor at the start of a game.

But seriously. Are you one of those absolutists that thinks if a person is even 1% white that makes them white? Is Obama white? Lisa Bonet? Jesse Williams? Drake? Guadio is obviously not born from caucasian parents white.

Guadio is born from both Venezuelan parents. I'm not sure what your point about him being lighter skin even is. Maduro isn't exactly dark skin black.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rust Martialis posted:

Well the current coup regime has already sold off a lot of state assets to Rosneft and Sinopec, friend, so not quite seeing a difference to me that *particular* point?

As to austerity, everyone knows of the ruinous hyperinflationary policies of the coup regime, and only an idiot (a title you clearly do *not* qualify for, friend!) would support continuing this ruinous practice. Obviously some reasonable policy is needed once the Maduro coup is tossed out of Miraflores that returns the Venezuelan economy to sanity.

Well don't forget the current Venezuelan regime has also sold out oil properties to American companies. Particularly Chevron.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I was under the impression that the PSUV sold their state assests to Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian operations rather than American ones. Nice to see the PSUV diversifying.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

Doubling down on racism is indeed a bold tactic, friend.

You can't be racist towards white people. Bold of you to make that claim.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Judakel posted:

You can't be racist towards white people. Bold of you to make that claim.

We agree on this too! Amazing!

The point you skip over is that Guaidó is mestizo, though, and has been described as having "common mestizo features like most Venezuelans do", so your fixation on the concept of "whiteness" is a bit hard to understand for someone like me not into making race-based judgements about people's worth. You clearly have more experience than others here in judging people by the color of their skin, friend!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the thing that bugs me is the disingenuous citation and repetition of propaganda talking points.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Ok i think i get it now.

Maduro sells state assets = bad
Guaido sells state assets = good

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Ok i think i get it now.

Maduro sells state assets = bad
Guaido sells state assets = good

More like "attacking Guaidó for something Maduro already does = hypocrisy", friend.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Judakel posted:

You're a bit behind, friend. He is white and race matters, friend.

I really don't get this but maybe you could explain. I mean there could be some nuance I'm missing here but this statement so wildly contradicts common sense that I assume you just mean it as some kind of crude insult rather than being something that's supposed to actually be connected to the real world.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's this constant assertion that Guaidó is going to immedietely cut off all social programs and sell every (remaining) state asset for pennies on the dollar and it'd be nice if people actually sourced these assertions, instead of merely assuming them to be true.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's this constant assertion that Guaidó is going to immedietely cut off all social programs and sell every (remaining) state asset for pennies on the dollar and it'd be nice if people actually sourced these assertions, instead of merely assuming them to be true.

The opposition has said several times they want to do away with the CLAP system, but I'm too lazy to look for sources now. That's one of the main things that people tend to latch on while criticizing opposition government plans because they see it as "These fuckers want to take food from poor people's mouths!", which is disingenuous. It's impossible to do away with massive food subsidies unless you want a good part of the country to starve. The problem is, CLAP itself is such a remarkably stupid system the only possible explanation for it is that it gives a lot of people a lot of opportunities to steal money and exert political control over communities (by importing grossly overpriced products, enabling local distributors to pick and choose who gets the boxes, etc.). There are a lot of better ways to give people access to food, but I'm not sure how the opposition plans to approach that.

As for the other social programs, the other well-known ones are basically Barrio Adentro and Mision Vivienda. The former was about providing slums with accesssible medical centers at no cost using a lot of local doctors. Barrio Adentro is basically not working anymore because a lot of those cuban doctors left, the clinics are in disrepair like all other medical centers in Venezuela, and there's no access to supplies.

Mision Vivienda is a more interesting concept. They promised to build millions of homes for people who needed them and a lot of those projects went up in Caracas. The buildings themselves had a lot of problems, plus the whole thing was rife with corruption as usual. It would be interesting to see what a new government can do in respect to housing, but just like Barrio Adentro, the Mision Vivienda constructions have pretty much ground to a halt during the last few years. It's also worth noting that public housing wasn't exactly a novel concept in Venezuela before the Chavez/Maduro governments, although they like to claim it is.

My overall point is, a lot of the Chavez/Maduro government's flagship social programs have already been cut off in effect, by themselves, because of their mismanagement of the economy. They keep replacing them with other, new programs like the carnet de la patria and the CLAP, but these newer programs have taken politicization to a new level, and they're incredibly inefficient. Considering Venezuela's new government will be strapped for cash, it only makes sense they would look to develop more efficient social programs, but people act like they intend to let Venezuelan's die instead while conveniently ignoring that's exactly what the current government is doing.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

We agree on this too! Amazing!

The point you skip over is that Guaidó is mestizo, though, and has been described as having "common mestizo features like most Venezuelans do", so your fixation on the concept of "whiteness" is a bit hard to understand for someone like me not into making race-based judgements about people's worth. You clearly have more experience than others here in judging people by the color of their skin, friend!

He is very much a white man. Most white people in Venezuela look just like him.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

More like "attacking Guaidó for something Maduro already does = hypocrisy", friend.

And yet maduro is painted as pillaging the country while guaido would apparently be doing the same things but goodly. :thunk:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

And yet maduro is painted as pillaging the country while guaido would apparently be doing the same things but goodly. :thunk:

This response is confused. Maduro is pillaging the country, of course; but by corruption, stealing money meant to feed people, provide them housing and medical care.

I note however your response is to us discussing your statement that the Opposition would sell off state assets, to which it was pointed out Maduro and Co. already have been doing just that. Could we stay on one topic at a time?

Various people responded to your argument by pointing out the Maduro clique running the country already sells state assets because that's how the oil industry works. You then mixed up this point with Maduro's stealing - money from the sick and poor, given by Chavez, stolen by Maduro.

Your make it look like you're approving of PSUV corruption, friend.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 8, 2019

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Thanks for the tips friend, i look forward to using them in my future posting endeavours friend. I sure am glad that i have such a good and friendly friend to provide such friendly advice to me, your friend.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
as dumb and/or disingenuous as some of our visitors are, Rust, you're being p condescending in a way that probably doesn't help make the thread more readable

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 8, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

as dumb and/or disingenuous as some of our visitors are, Rust, you're being p condescending in a way that probably doesn't help make the thread more readable

I would claim in my defense I'm pretty far down that particular list of crimes, but point taken. I shall do better! (friend)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Thanks for the tips friend, i look forward to using them in my future posting endeavours friend. I sure am glad that i have such a good and friendly friend to provide such friendly advice to me, your friend.

Well, someone defending Maduro by attacking the opposition for discussing plans to do something the current regime does already is either uninformed or hypocritical.

It's not a honest approach but some people clearly aren't interested in being honest. Rap sheets are usually good indications on that score.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Being critical of Guaido does not equate to defending Maduro. One can be critical of something without necessarily supporting the alternative.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Being critical of Guaido does not equate to defending Maduro. One can be critical of something without necessarily supporting the alternative.

In this case, you criticised selling state assets. Are you only against it when the opposition does it? It's *rather* inconsistent to approve Maduro selling state assets to (say) Chevron, but disapprove anyone else doing it. So maybe you could clarify your position: are you against Maduro selling off state assets too?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Squalid posted:

I really don't get this but maybe you could explain. I mean there could be some nuance I'm missing here but this statement so wildly contradicts common sense that I assume you just mean it as some kind of crude insult rather than being something that's supposed to actually be connected to the real world.

I don't understand the confusion. Do you believe venezuela doesn't have a racial hierarchy, or do you believe that venezuelans aren't at the top of it...? White people in latin america, shockingly, tend to have a latin american background. There is a real racial disparity between white people like guaido and people who visibly have a more indigenous background. There is racism. The people at the top of that racial hierarchy are referred to as white. The fact that they would not be white in a completely different country, america, is not super relevant there.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

In this case, you criticised selling state assets. Are you only against it when the opposition does it? It's *rather* inconsistent to approve Maduro selling state assets to (say) Chevron, but disapprove anyone else doing it. So maybe you could clarify your position: are you against Maduro selling off state assets too?

Where has anyone approved of Maduro selling state assets anywhere though? You're just putting words in people's mouths at every turn, the guy you're talking to just said "Being critical of Guaidó does not equate to defending Maduro." and your response is to say that he's defending Maduro because he criticizes Guaidó. This isn't good debating, friend.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mischievous Mink posted:

Where has anyone approved of Maduro selling state assets anywhere though? You're just putting words in people's mouths at every turn, the guy you're talking to just said "Being critical of Guaidó does not equate to defending Maduro." and your response is to say that he's defending Maduro because he criticizes Guaidó. This isn't good debating, friend.

Just read the context of the post:

thatfatkid posted:

He words it as if Guaido plan to sell state assets isn't something Maduro is already doing, or at least not to as extreme of a degree.

Rusty was correcting him that Maduro is currently selling state assets at least at the levels that Guaido is suspected and the poster responded by trying to ninja his way out of his own argument.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 8, 2019

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

He words it as if Guaido plan to sell state assets isn't something Maduro is already doing, or at least not to as extreme of a degree.

Rusty was correcting him that Maduro is currently selling state assets at least at the levels that Guaido is suspected and the poster responded by trying to ninja his way out of his own argument.

I feel like it could equally be interpreted as just saying Guaidó is not offering any real solutions to problems under Maduro, instead continuing down paths that have already been detrimental to the Venezuelan people. Maybe that's not what thatfatkid meant, but it was how I read the tone of his post.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Mischievous Mink posted:

Uh, sorry, the poster I was talking to said:

thefatkid posted:

So a simple reading of his comment says he is equating selling state assets with pillaging Venezuela. I don't think that's controversial? So now I am curious if he is against Maduro doing what he criticizes Guaido for. Either in reality or hypothetically.

To answer the original question, comparing "selling state assets" is not the same thing as "pillaging Venezuela" (as Maduro and the PSUV have been) in any event, so the comparison is risible. Maduro not only sold assets, he then stole the money ('pillaging Venezuela').

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 8, 2019

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lol nice of you to explain what i meant and ignore my follow up post that clarifies my point, but for whatever reason is classed as "ninjaing" away from my own argument.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
It is unclear what Iran will be getting in return, but it looks like another global autocracy may be about to lend military support to Maduro:

https://www.reuters.com/article/iran-venezuela-airlines/irans-mahan-air-launches-direct-flights-to-venezuela-idUSL8N21Q11T

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Lol nice of you to explain what i meant and ignore my follow up post that clarifies my point, but for whatever reason is classed as "ninjaing" away from my own argument.

Sorry, could you point at the post you believe 'clarifies' your stance? Apparently your definition of "clarify" differs from mine. Thanks!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Private Witt posted:

It is unclear what Iran will be getting in return, but it looks like another global autocracy may be about to lend military support to Maduro:

https://www.reuters.com/article/iran-venezuela-airlines/irans-mahan-air-launches-direct-flights-to-venezuela-idUSL8N21Q11T

Sure are all the good guys lining up to support Maduro. China,Russia,North Korea and now Iran.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sanctions are certainly a good way to push countries into the arms of your enemies.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I don't understand the confusion. Do you believe venezuela doesn't have a racial hierarchy, or do you believe that venezuelans aren't at the top of it...? White people in latin america, shockingly, tend to have a latin american background. There is a real racial disparity between white people like guaido and people who visibly have a more indigenous background. There is racism. The people at the top of that racial hierarchy are referred to as white. The fact that they would not be white in a completely different country, america, is not super relevant there.

Look all I'm asking is that you support this assertion with evidence. You seem quite confident in calling Guaido white, and I want you to show me how you came to this conclusion. Did you read it in an article? Is it based on a statement he made, or statements by other Venezuelans? Where is it coming from?

You make a good point when you say that racial hierarchies are different in different countries. You can't just use your intuitions to support this claim, you need intimate knowledge of the local social context. I don't have that for Venezuela, but Labradoodle does. as a Venezuelan, he clearly thinks the assertion that Guaido is white is absurd. What basis do you have to contradict him?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Pro-Guaido folks have been saying stuff like "We don't have racism here in Venezuela" since this whole thing started, including in response to the lynching by burning alive of a black man assumed to be a chavista.

This should tell you a lot you need to know about the politics of the opposition.

vvvvv
Edit:

Private Witt posted:

Could also just be symbolic support based on their shared love of the "death to america" meme.
Having flashbacks to Americans post-911 going "Why do they hate us? Must be because of our freedoms"

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 8, 2019

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sanctions are certainly a good way to push countries into the arms of your enemies.

Iran and Venezuela have had close relations since Chavez stepped into office, which pre-dates the first US sanctions by over a decade.

But one should be very skeptical of new agreements at this point considering Venezuela is crippled. It would likely be some sort of Faustian bargain.

Could also just be symbolic support based on their shared love of the "death to america" meme.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

Pro-Guaido folks have been saying stuff like "We don't have racism here in Venezuela" since this whole thing started, including in response to the lynching by burning alive of a black man assumed to be a chavista.

This should tell you a lot you need to know about the politics of the opposition.

Can you quote them? If you can't I will assume you are just making this up. Saying there's no racism in Venezuela is such a ridiculous and absurd statement I can't imagine anyone actually saying it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
From what I remember, people (and I myself) were saying things like "you can't assume that racism in Venuzula follows the same pattern as in the US," and "just because 'lynching' has a specific cultural context in the US does not mean that mob violence in Venuzula is equally racially motivated."

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Squalid posted:

Can you quote them? If you can't I will assume you are just making this up. Saying there's no racism in Venezuela is such a ridiculous and absurd statement I can't imagine anyone actually saying it.

Did a quick search for "venezuela racism" on twitter here are some immediate results from just the last few weeks:

https://twitter.com/Adriansiorio/status/1095673686298898434

https://twitter.com/elnelsongerardo/status/1094706079374737409

https://twitter.com/Mich_712/status/1113877966197600257

https://twitter.com/RobertoBaanN/status/1113421075889709056

https://twitter.com/JrightN/status/1113943010927099904

https://twitter.com/SylvosW/status/1098357165482479616

https://twitter.com/talesofjesus/status/1094398204102262785

https://twitter.com/jerichoFS941/status/1094357466966564866

https://twitter.com/Fbsulbaran/status/1113587226066030597

https://twitter.com/aleja_soff/status/1112808506023919617

I could keep posting those forever...

If you mean in this thread, here's what folks were saying about the burning alive incident last time it was brought up (didn't go back to when it first happened):

Keeshhound posted:

It's almost impressive that you can wallow so deeply in ethnocentrism that you not only try to accuse other people of racism, but racism within the specific cultural frame that you were raised in while discussing the prospect of racially motivated violence in a completely different country and culture.

Rust Martialis posted:

This guy?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-image-idUSKBN18I2HF

Well, uh, from the Reuters report he:
1) was being chased for a thief, and
2) didn't die. (edit: it looks he may have died 2 weeks later, not clear)

Rust Martialis posted:

Sorry, this is the Venezuela thread, not USPOL. You and other thread tourists keep seeming to forget this.

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, eat a dick. Pretending that because lynching in the US has a strong racial undercurrent then all mob executions in countries without that history must also be equally racially motivated is not only insultingly obtuse, it detracts from any discussion about the actual racial problems that the nation does have, and detracts from conversations about the actual causes of that violence (people are starving, impoverished and feel like they lack control over their own lives, and lash out to try to regain that control).

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I never said anything about racial politics in Venezuela. What I addressed is the reports the man chased down being attacked for being accused of a thief, as opposed to claims he was attacked for being a Chavista.

Also it's rather interesting that the pro-coup posters like my dear friend Bob here keep pointing to this *one* man who died allegedly at the hands of a opposition protest (as opposed to general vigilantism) as somehow proof the opposition are violent, and totally ignore dozens of killings by the coup forces including police, army, and colectivos, including quite a few non-whites.

Edit: I mean I called out one poster for racist remarks and he got probated, so maybe Bob here got confused? The pro-coup posters have a real hard-on about race, I agree. Maybe they're Americans; the USA is obsessed with race in a very strange way.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 8, 2019