Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

STAC Goat posted:

As I recall polling was loving brutal for it since it turns out throwing kids in cages and orphaning them is kind of a universal outrage to all but the worst of the worst. The "Obama started it" stuff was basically an attempt to spin the blame off them because people hating it so much and found it indefensible.

That and stories and audio started to come out. That’s what hosed them. Little girl crying her heart out for her parents and the other horror stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There needs to be a coordinated effort to bake political cartoons and commentary about Stephen Miller bossing Trump around and being the real president

This.

Our best hope is to start throwing around President Miller because this idiot in the office seems to be exclusively doing his bidding at this point.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
"Obama started it" is pretty much meaningless when you are overriding and firing your own people to reinstate it as a policy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not entirely sure how labeling the Republican Guard as a terrorist organization works when you already have tons of sanctions against Iran, but the Republican Guard goes beyond being a military branch and controls a huge chunk of the economy. In the absence of sanctions, this would effectively be a sanction on any business owned and operated by that organization. Since they've got their fingers in so many different pots, most companies would just stop doing business with Iran to avoid accidentally dealing with the IRCG.

Again, anyone who relies on the international banking system is already not doing business with Iran because of sanctions, so I don't know what this is supposed to accomplish.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Super-Id posted:

"Obama started it" is pretty much meaningless when you are overriding and firing your own people to reinstate it as a policy.

LOL if you think Trump gives six shits about consistency.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1115267940557971456

It is so weird to see a functioning government...

https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1115246936263671809

Omar continues to deliver! Has any official actually acknowledged the ethnic cleansing in China right now?

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 8, 2019

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

The pictorial depiction of that man's face is about most of my country right now.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

The pictorial depiction of that man's face is about most of my country right now.

Lol Zuck has the most robotic human attempts of any non-person I have seen

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1115246936263671809

Omar continues to deliver! Has any official actually acknowledged the ethnic cleansing in China right now?

I think Rubio did. Like once.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

Hence my point. Cold and unfeeling. :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

They should revoke all those citizenships they sold Facebook's investors, then

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Random Stranger posted:

There are a lot of drugs where there's no concern for that. On top of that, patents are going to run out at the same time; if you patent pikachu as a medication for high blood pressure and the method of manufacturing it, the patents expire at the same time. And further, patent law says explicitly that the Federal government can go "lol, we're just going to use this" so you can't sue them for patent infringement. Doing this with whatever the hot new drug is would be a bad idea for lots of reasons, but there's no concern there.

The poster children for how patents aren't the entire problem are the two fast-acting insulin brands - humalog and novalog. Both had every possible patent related to them expire long ago but are still absurdly expensive and locked in an every-escalating price hike cycle which reeks of price-fixing.

The reason why is that like a lot of new drugs they are sourced from specially engineered bacteria strains, and to make a generic of either you'd need samples of the already-approved production bacteria to culture into your own production setup. Nobody can get those because Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisc guard them like the money-printing machines they are and there is no mechanism currently in place to force them to turn them over.

Theoretically you could spin up your own strains and get them approved but the costs would be enormous and the instant the ink dried on the approval both companies would a) bury you in lawsuits to cost you even more and b) drop their prices temporarily to the cost of production ensuring that you'll never ever make a profit. That's the case with a whole bunch of generic medications and is why we need state-run production to be an option - the "free market" is broken here.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

Good gravy I didn’t realize that was Zuck.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1114942142445699072

Really good thread on how "Family Farms" don't really exist as most non-farmers imagine them.

Edit: Her podcast Farm to Taber is also really good for any interested PodGoons

This lady is cool. She also had the "ugly fruit" takedown thread a few months ago.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1114908335529132033

I do not speak Portuguese but I think Bolsonaro has posted a survey asking Brazilians if they think 3 of their presidents are very intelligent OR a little intelligent or not very intelligent (?). He ranks lower than ex-presidents Dilma and Lula, who are social democrats.

Trump of the Tropics lindeed.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

The poster children for how patents aren't the entire problem are the two fast-acting insulin brands - humalog and novalog. Both had every possible patent related to them expire long ago but are still absurdly expensive and locked in an every-escalating price hike cycle which reeks of price-fixing.

The reason why is that like a lot of new drugs they are sourced from specially engineered bacteria strains, and to make a generic of either you'd need samples of the already-approved production bacteria to culture into your own production setup. Nobody can get those because Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisc guard them like the money-printing machines they are and there is no mechanism currently in place to force them to turn them over.

Theoretically you could spin up your own strains and get them approved but the costs would be enormous and the instant the ink dried on the approval both companies would a) bury you in lawsuits to cost you even more and b) drop their prices temporarily to the cost of production ensuring that you'll never ever make a profit. That's the case with a whole bunch of generic medications and is why we need state-run production to be an option - the "free market" is broken here.

but ah don want the guvmint in mah healtca-*faaaaaaaaart*

As I approach 40 I'm getting more and more nervous about being able to afford my own meds.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

This.

Our best hope is to start throwing around President Miller because this idiot in the office seems to be exclusively doing his bidding at this point.

Imagine the Jim Carry painting. Miller's hand right up Trump's rear end like he was working a racist orange puppet.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

gently caress, I'm mad. The rear end in a top hat really enjoys creating as many orphans as he can, and half of my family is fine with this because he's "pro-life."

If hell doesn't exist we need to create it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Shifty Pony posted:

I mean if the government spun up their own strains and forced a price drop wouldn't that benefit everyone except the pharma execs? Like, the state can eat the cost for the public good, diabetics not having access to insulin is a national loving emergency.

It's so strange that we're not allowed to do this when it seems so obvious that the benefits of doing it for literally millions of citizens outweighs an possible negatives. Eminent domain for life-saving medication should be way more common.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1115269853886201856?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mistaya posted:

I mean if the government spun up their own strains and forced a price drop wouldn't that benefit everyone except the pharma execs? Like, the state can eat the cost for the public good, diabetics not having access to insulin is a national loving emergency.

It's so strange that we're not allowed to do this when it seems so obvious that the benefits of doing it for literally millions of citizens outweighs an possible negatives. Eminent domain for life-saving medication should be way more common.

Well, that's just it. There's no reason that the government is not allowed to do this. It's not even "eminent domain"; the law explicitly says that the government can just roll their own insulin production facilities and that anyone who gets pissy about it can gently caress off. But the federal government manufacturing drugs is something that's not on anyone's political radar. I haven't even heard universal health care proponents talk about it. I think it's an easier sell than it appears at first blush, too, when every congress person gets a facility making something in their district bringing in some high paying jobs.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/adamdavidson/status/1115267559501254659?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

loving rear end in a top hat. can't wait until he gets the knife in the back too from trump. i feel like doing this will blow up in trumps face super loving badly especially since the dems control the house.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

friendbot2000 posted:

Trump has in meetings where he's asked people why we can't do this with Mexicans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We’re talking about a guy who thinks that the Republicans won the midterms.
It made me laugh when last week in a speech he said that he was ‘too busy’ to campaign for House GOP in 2018.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Is implementing a policy, drafting an executive order against the policy, and then implementing the policy again enough to establish capriciousness?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ague Proof posted:

I do not speak Portuguese but I think Bolsonaro has posted a survey asking Brazilians if they think 3 of their presidents are very intelligent OR a little intelligent or not very intelligent (?). He ranks lower than ex-presidents Dilma and Lula, who are social democrats.

"Pesquisa Datafolha" means it's a survey conducted by Datafolha. Datafolha has had some accusations of bias against them but I don't know enough about Brazilian politics to comment on em.

The survey just says "intelligent" on the left and "unintelligent" on the right.

(I know this is downright obvious to most people, but my somewhat limited ability to read Portuguese is almost never useful in my life so let me have this)

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

There are a lot of drugs where there's no concern for that. On top of that, patents are going to run out at the same time; if you patent pikachu as a medication for high blood pressure and the method of manufacturing it, the patents expire at the same time. And further, patent law says explicitly that the Federal government can go "lol, we're just going to use this" so you can't sue them for patent infringement. Doing this with whatever the hot new drug is would be a bad idea for lots of reasons, but there's no concern there.

Just a quick correction here. Patents don't expire at the same time. Companies apply for patents in a staggered fashion to extend monopoly control over the market for any given drug. It's not uncommon for the manufacturing process patent to extend past the expiration of the drug patent by years.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Knew it was going to happen

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1115288714123644930

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ague Proof posted:

He's truly a clown fascist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crazy that the Mueller report, which appears to have changed nothing, has emboldened him to do all the things that make him unpopular

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/SmnRppn/status/1114181045052674048

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I do wonder what exactly is wrong with Bolsonaro that he keeps tweeting the most bizarre poo poo. Even with this survey he posted, his accompanying tweet is just... holding down the K key.

e: Bolsonaro is very much a complete idiot but it turns out that "kkkkkk" is Brazilian online slang for laughing like "w" is in Japanese, so I am also an idiot today.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 8, 2019

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

I do wonder what exactly is wrong with Bolsonaro that he keeps tweeting the most bizarre poo poo. Even with this survey he posted, his accompanying tweet is just... holding down the K key.
As far as I understand, that is perfectly acceptable behavior on Brazilian internet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Casey Finnigan posted:

He's literally at the same brain functional level as some chud with a MAGA hat and "gently caress your feelings" T-shirt at a Trump rally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's how brazil does lol (like how the japanese do www).

so that translates as "lolllllllllllll"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

STAC Goat posted:

According to CNN Nielsen didn't go to the White House today expecting to resign but DID walk in carrying her resignation later.

That seems like it sums up self aware life in the Trump Administration well.

In a way, aren't we all carrying resignation letters

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Casey Finnigan posted:

e: Bolsonaro is very much a complete idiot but it turns out that "kkkkkk" is Brazilian online slang for laughing like "w" is in Japanese, so I am also an idiot today.

He actually intended to use less K’s.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Crazy that the Mueller report, which appears to have changed nothing, has emboldened him to do all the things that make him unpopular

Would be a hoot and a half if Donny's idiot misperceptions on the Mueller report were what goaded him into bringing back the most unpopular hits of his Presidency and making him lose in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Would be a hoot and a half if Donny's idiot misperceptions on the Mueller report were what goaded him into bringing back the most unpopular hits of his Presidency and making him lose in 2020.

i honestly don't know how anyone tells the difference between

(1) doing new bad, idiotic things that will hurt him because he's emboldened and triumphant

and

(2) doing new bad, idiotic things that will hurt him because he's afraid and trying to change the narrative