Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Will this is certainly a tagline. What happened to you Dominique Swain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

flashy_mcflash posted:

Parker Lewis did lose.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

The MSJ posted:

Come to think of it, "Sadistic Graphic Violence, Torture, Bizarre Sexuality/Nudity, and A Scene Depicting Cunnilingus" all covers the act of Ant-Man killing Thanos by entering his butt and expanding.

I feel like you have some confused ideas about cunnilingus.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

A lot of hair going on here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm pretty sure Branagh only does roles that will let him have a stupid mustache. Also, I just discovered he's doing another Poirot movie and I'm irritated already.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Death on the Nile. I just found out myself and Fox is doing it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo posted:

Death on the Nile. I just found out myself and Fox is doing it.

The first one breaking $100M in the US is honestly kind of amazing, I imagine they just bused entire nursing homes to the theater

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Murder on the Orient Express did extremely well considering its budget. I assume it's because we've had a real lack of murder mysteries lately.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
was that any good at all? that movie looked like it was just riding on the coattails of its namesake + having absurd amounts of Big Acting Celebs in it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was okay

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Kenneth Branagh producing and directing himself playing Shakespeare writing about himself is probably peak Kenneth Branagh.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

It was okay

this and "safe" are what i expect to be the most common reviews

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vargo posted:

Kenneth Branagh producing and directing himself playing Shakespeare writing about himself is probably peak Kenneth Branagh.

After numerous reviews that make mention of his descent into accidental self-parody, he starts going by Kenny the Bran Man and begins a long string of R-rated stoner sex romps.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Kenneth Branagh bugs the poo poo out of me and I can't quite figure out why considering the only movie I've seen him in is the Harry Potter where he has a demon's face on the back of his head or something.

Oh, and Wild Wild West

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Kenneth Branagh bugs the poo poo out of me and I can't quite figure out why considering the only movie I've seen him in is the Harry Potter where he has a demon's face on the back of his head or something.

Oh, and Wild Wild West

lol that's not him. Also see Henry V. Also I agree he's inexplicably annoying and he did Emma Thompson dirty so he's forever on my poo poo list.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kiimo posted:

lol that's not him. Also see Henry V. Also I agree he's inexplicably annoying and he did Emma Thompson dirty so he's forever on my poo poo list.

I’m looking at his filmography and he was in a Harry Potter movie (Gilderoy Lockhart?) and the villain in Wild Wild West.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

I’m looking at his filmography and he was in a Harry Potter movie (Gilderoy Lockhart?) and the villain in Wild Wild West.

Gilderoy Lockheart wasn't the guy with the demon in back of his head, is what that meant.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just how many Joker movies are we getting this year anyway?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vargo posted:

Absolutely, that's the first drat thing I thought when I saw that poster.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ruddiger posted:

Taylor Schilling's head looks wider than normal. Like one of those symmetry Photoshops when half a person's face is put together with its flipped copy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vargo posted:

Gilderoy Lockheart wasn't the guy with the demon in back of his head, is what that meant.

Was he the one that turned into a wolf? Or the one that taught potions?

I’ve only seen the first three Harry Potter movies back when they first came out, all I know is that it wasn’t Snape or Dumbledorf.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Was he the one that turned into a wolf? Or the one that taught potions?

I’ve only seen the first three Harry Potter movies back when they first came out, all I know is that it wasn’t Snape or Dumbledorf.

He stole other people’s achievements by mind wiping them and claiming he was the one who did it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's safe to say that her career isn't looking that good:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He stole other people’s achievements by mind wiping them and claiming he was the one who did it.

But what did Branagh do in the movie?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Fast and Furious 9 looking good

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kenneth Brannagh as Dr Arliss Lovelace in Wild Wild West is one of the most bizarre, amazing, and hilarious performances in Brannaghs career, and was one of the few high points in that movie.

He and Will Smith trading racist/cripple jokes is amazing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I just want there to be an alternate ending to Joker where Joaquin decides not to fight Batman, but instead goes to middle America to 'whoop whoop' with his 'fam-uh-lee' at the gathering.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RBA Starblade posted:

Fast and Furious 9 looking good

I've been watching the F&F films, for the first time, and they are so bad, yet I can't stop watching them. There's got to be some sort of subliminal messaging or something going on there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Davros1 posted:

I've been watching the F&F films, for the first time, and they are so bad, yet I can't stop watching them. There's got to be some sort of subliminal messaging or something going on there.

Family gives you super powers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Davros1 posted:

they're car wizards

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kenneth Brannagh as Dr Arliss Lovelace in Wild Wild West is one of the most bizarre, amazing, and hilarious performances in Brannaghs career, and was one of the few high points in that movie.

He and Will Smith trading racist/cripple jokes is amazing.

Branagh's style is incredibly over-the-top, both as director and actor. Sometimes this works out well (as in your example), sometimes it doesn't (I still have no idea what he was going for with his take on Poirot).

He's got a decent track record when it comes to Shakespeare though, so I'm tentatively optimistic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Davros1 posted:

They're superheroes, OP

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't really have a comment on the movie, but "X is a revelation!" has got to be my least favorite review quote. But the more annoyed I get by it the more I see it everywhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Davros1 posted:

They are all 20 minutes of plot/exposition and 100 minutes of the most insane, over the top stunt driving. Those movies have blasted so fast over the “bad movie” line that they ended up warping into the dimension of “I *know* it’s bad. It’s not even bad/good. But god drat is this poo poo fun to watch”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Proteus Jones posted:

They are all 20 minutes of plot/exposition and 100 minutes of the most insane, over the top stunt driving. Those movies have blasted so fast over the “bad movie” line that they ended up warping into the dimension of “I *know* it’s bad. It’s not even bad/good. But god drat is this poo poo fun to watch”
Hey, the first one was actually a film. It was Car Point Break and it was good.

Everything after until, what, 4?5? was just a cash in sequel. Then they just embraced dumb soap opera comic book crazy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don't really have a comment on the movie, but "X is a revelation!" has got to be my least favorite review quote. But the more annoyed I get by it the more I see it everywhere.

I wanna make a movie about the end times so critics will say it's a Revelations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, the first one was actually a film. It was Car Point Break and it was good.

Everything after until, what, 4?5? was just a cash in sequel. Then they just embraced dumb soap opera comic book crazy

1 - lazy rehash with some charm
2 - cash grab
3 - inventive rehash with a lot of charm
4 - kind of boring but you see what they’re going for
5 - fun, great use of a blockbuster budget
6 - diminishing returns
7 - diminishing returns
8 - cash grab

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

By FF8 it is clear that they had no idea what to do with their characters seeing as half the cast had nothing to do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

By FF8 it is clear that they had no idea what to do with their characters seeing as half the cast had nothing to do.

Still not sure why they brought in the Game of Thrones woman to be a hacker for the team when they already had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It made sense for her to be in 7 but she definitely shouldn't have been in 8.