Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr. Pickles posted:

p. sure I'm being trolled but here they are :burger:
https://imgur.com/ZyFPstN

OFC, hopefully someday I'll be a learned one too.

Good luck! Learning new instruments is the best.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah I am genuinely curious. Do you notice a huge difference in synthetic tips over wood tips? I'd love to learn how to drum but I don't have the space for it so I've just used superior drummer. It gets the job done but it feels like cheating.

I’ll sell you my old Yamaha electronic kit for a solid price if you meet me halfway in our penis state lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Henchman of Santa posted:

I interviewed the frontman from Diarrhea Planet once and he said basically the same thing. Both bands have become about as popular as you can get with that style of music but it does probably affect merch sales.

You're talking about fans who proudly wear merch like this: https://scaphism.bigcartel.com/product/trepanate-the-undesired-t-shirt

So I don't think it really makes much of a difference.

Yes, I own that shirt. It rules.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I forget who posted Critical Defiance in here recently but their new album whips

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spanish Manlove posted:

Which of them was the right one to gently caress with?

:lol: Wow, amazing.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah I am genuinely curious. Do you notice a huge difference in synthetic tips over wood tips? I'd love to learn how to drum but I don't have the space for it so I've just used superior drummer. It gets the job done but it feels like cheating.

Honestly, anyone will tell you there's only a minute difference in both sound and rebound when comparing the two. I personally prefer the nylon tips because I learned playing with those, and it's more of a novelty-nostalgia choice for me over anything else.

But if you are drumming right, you are utilizing dynamics a lot (that is hitting lighter or harder in order to accentuate and give proper "feel" to the music). For example, snare precussionists like the ones in the movie Whiplash are masters of dynamics, because they need to produce many different sounds from a single drum.

Back to the tip type, the nylon tip (I've found), delivers a sligthly more "gentle" sound when hitting cymbals, which means you get a lil bit more control on how loud your hit will eventually be (drum rule #1 is always hold back, shut up, don't hit drum and/or cymbal, etc).

More importanty, a nylon tip stick offers a tad more rebound when hitting a cymbal, especially when your dynamics are low. Cymbals do not have membranes like drums do, so any stick will have more trouble bouncing back up from a cymbal than from a drum membrane, as the cymbal absorbs most of the energy of your hit, giving almost nothing back. This becomes all the more noticeable the lighter you hit, and the more fatigued you become. (E.g when doing a double stroke roll on your ride or your hihat, you need all the rebound you can get from your sticks in order to get a homogenous sound, and nylon tips offer a slight advantage; whereas performing the same stroke roll on your snare will always be much easier due to the membrane kicking your stick back up, regardless of the type of stick you use)

However If you are a heavy-hitter (a non-drummer who plays drums) like most of us metal people, there is absolutely no difference between the two types of stick tips. If anything, a deranged stick-breaking maniac may even tell you they use wood tips because they're more durable, as nylons may come right off the stick way before the wood breaks, if you hit hard enough (lmao).

TLDR: nylon tips have slightly better rebound when hitting cymbals

Parachute
May 18, 2003
if i got in to playing drums again like when i was a kid i would just want to use big rear end wooden dowels like coady from big business*

*i think he just plays with one of his sticks upside down or possibly both i cant remember but that dude can fly on the kit

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Yeah, I always found that the rebound on nylon tips was better for blast beats but in hindsight I think that was mostly my imagination.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
New Dreadnought track is cool as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktDK3nnWXA

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Fenrir posted:

Nice. Did they do Eraser? That's one of the songs I remember being hella good live, and the crowd going apeshit at the chorus part.

e: and yeah isn't Peter like close to 50 now?

Sorry for the delay but yeah they played Eraser. It was awesome. The setlist hasn't really changed much in a long time but it's mostly really good stuff.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/hypocrisy/2019/bottom-lounge-chicago-il-3393ec21.html

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Parachute posted:

if i got in to playing drums again like when i was a kid i would just want to use big rear end wooden dowels like coady from big business*

*i think he just plays with one of his sticks upside down or possibly both i cant remember but that dude can fly on the kit

Gene Hoglan warms up by taping three sticks together in each hand. He is also insane.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I interviewed the frontman from Diarrhea Planet once and he said basically the same thing. Both bands have become about as popular as you can get with that style of music but it does probably affect merch sales.

has diarrhea planet ever toured with diarrhea comet?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Pickles posted:

Honestly, anyone will tell you there's only a minute difference in both sound and rebound when comparing the two. I personally prefer the nylon tips because I learned playing with those, and it's more of a novelty-nostalgia choice for me over anything else.

But if you are drumming right, you are utilizing dynamics a lot (that is hitting lighter or harder in order to accentuate and give proper "feel" to the music). For example, snare precussionists like the ones in the movie Whiplash are masters of dynamics, because they need to produce many different sounds from a single drum.

Back to the tip type, the nylon tip (I've found), delivers a sligthly more "gentle" sound when hitting cymbals, which means you get a lil bit more control on how loud your hit will eventually be (drum rule #1 is always hold back, shut up, don't hit drum and/or cymbal, etc).

More importanty, a nylon tip stick offers a tad more rebound when hitting a cymbal, especially when your dynamics are low. Cymbals do not have membranes like drums do, so any stick will have more trouble bouncing back up from a cymbal than from a drum membrane, as the cymbal absorbs most of the energy of your hit, giving almost nothing back. This becomes all the more noticeable the lighter you hit, and the more fatigued you become. (E.g when doing a double stroke roll on your ride or your hihat, you need all the rebound you can get from your sticks in order to get a homogenous sound, and nylon tips offer a slight advantage; whereas performing the same stroke roll on your snare will always be much easier due to the membrane kicking your stick back up, regardless of the type of stick you use)

However If you are a heavy-hitter (a non-drummer who plays drums) like most of us metal people, there is absolutely no difference between the two types of stick tips. If anything, a deranged stick-breaking maniac may even tell you they use wood tips because they're more durable, as nylons may come right off the stick way before the wood breaks, if you hit hard enough (lmao).

TLDR: nylon tips have slightly better rebound when hitting cymbals

Ah, I never really thought about the big picture like that. Makes a whole lot of sense. I'm a guitar player so it's nice to see things from others point of view. Like I finally learned just how expensive cymbals are and lmao gently caress that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ah, I never really thought about the big picture like that. Makes a whole lot of sense. I'm a guitar player so it's nice to see things from others point of view. Like I finally learned just how expensive cymbals are and lmao gently caress that.

When I was a kid a friend of mine was a goaltender in hockey, by far one of the most expensive sports positions for a kid to play, if not the most. I've definitely gotten the vibe that having a kid who plays drums is not dissimilar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I chose bass over drums and I've probably spent less on it in 13 years than a drums would've cost in one.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
My double bass pedal was 600 dollars alone. Most of the guys who use it though are endorsed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This slab of filth from 1993 is getting re-released:

https://redefiningdarknessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/burial-relinquished-souls

It hits me right in the Leprosy part of the gut.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 8, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

This slab of filth from 1993 is getting re-released:

https://redefiningdarknessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/burial-relinquished-souls

It hits me right in the Leprosy/Slowly We Rot part of the gut.
Right away, 00:40 through 00:47 of The Second Coming had me going "DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO THE SLAYER SKANK BEAT"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Less Claypool posted:

My double bass pedal was 600 dollars alone. Most of the guys who use it though are endorsed.

I got superior drummer on black Friday sale for $80 and spent $20 on two extra kits for reinforcement samples.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I find it really hard to give bands poo poo over merching heavily since it allows them to get more direct income they don't have to share with record companies.

Partly because I've read about just how bad Spotify fucks people who get tons of streams.

Besides, Behemoth is nowhere near as bad the Misfits. Or KISS or Slayer.

Ehh, it really depends with some band merch since some of the newer 360 deals aren't that great. I've heard about nuclear blast giving bands 90/10 deals on merch and music sales.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It sucks because a real drum kit is the most cathartic thing in the world to play on but using it in any normal capacity with people in a house/neighbors within a mile would make me feel like a self conscious rear end in a top hat. They’re incredibly loud.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That Behemoth jersey is dope as heck

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

It sucks because a real drum kit is the most cathartic thing in the world to play on but using it in any normal capacity with people in a house/neighbors within a mile would make me feel like a self conscious rear end in a top hat. They’re incredibly loud.

They are so fun to play but yeah you really need the space for it, interior and exterior wise.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got superior drummer on black Friday sale for $80 and spent $20 on two extra kits for reinforcement samples.

Nice yeah it’s crazy home many samples there are now, a lot of bands write songs with the samples and just use that as a template for the drummer to record later.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Less Claypool posted:

Nice yeah it’s crazy home many samples there are now, a lot of bands write songs with the samples and just use that as a template for the drummer to record later.

It's basically how Joel grind got famous (in an underground sense).

Also my favorite band (Mare Cognitum) is literally just one dude making all of that poo poo by himself thanks to this stuff. Really has come a long way since the Bathory days

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please don't use the word "cathartic" outside of a song title.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

God dammit yes. A literal mile. For this reason my old kit is collecting dust at my mom's, and I'm stuck with playing on a TD-11K e-kit these days. I bought it on impulse like 3 years ago from a local retailer who offers Thomann pricing on most high demand products, which was cool. It was only around 1000bux. Nowadays you can buy a TD-17 for the same amount, FYI.

It turned out to be a great buy though, because eventually it brought me back after like a 10 year hiatus, and its customization options are truly amazing,

Less Claypool posted:

I mean, yeah, that ought to be a top notch piece of hardware right there. You can get a double pedal at around 200-300bux and it will still own.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

maybe he's practising to be a 'music journalist'

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

A human heart posted:

maybe he's practising to be a 'music journalist'

why are you like this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Less Claypool posted:

They are so fun to play but yeah you really need the space for it, interior and exterior wise.

Makes me sad but maybe someday I’ll put together a soundproof room with a kit and destroy my ears for satan

Mr. Pickles posted:

God dammit yes. A literal mile. For this reason my old kit is collecting dust at my mom's, and I'm stuck with playing on a TD-11K e-kit these days. I bought it on impulse like 3 years ago from a local retailer who offers Thomann pricing on most high demand products, which was cool. It was only around 1000bux. Nowadays you can buy a TD-17 for the same amount, FYI.

It turned out to be a great buy though, because eventually it brought me back after like a 10 year hiatus, and its customization options are truly amazing,

E-kits are honestly a lot of fun as long as the expectation isn’t that it’s 90% to the real thing. They don’t feel right at all but then again mine is a mid 2000s rubber drum Yamaha. The technology has come incredibly far. Even around that time a year or two meant a massive step forward in the hardware and software.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

why are you like this

i dunno i thought those were very angular, searing, aching, southern-fried posts

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno i thought those were very angular, searing, aching, southern-fried posts

purgative, even

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

purgative, even

:five:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

purgative, even

:vince:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
describing things with words is extremely not kvlt

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Please only use slaps, bangs, and cuts cock to describe things.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I prefer deeds

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I do have to say that on their sophomore album, Carnal Revenge really overdid themselves with plenty of ligma.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I prefer reading this thread in slab form.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

purgative, even
heh heh look boys we got us a real Dani Filth here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Straight from hell - it's DIO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94odyYYdKs

quote:

The tour will feature a hologram of the late Ronnie James Dio, created by the effects company Eyellusion, accompanied by longtime Dio members Craig Goldy (guitar), Simon Wright (drums), and Scott Warren (keyboards), plus Dio Disciples member Bjorn Englen on bass. In addition to Ronnie James Dio’s recorded vocals, the concerts will also include live singing by onetime Judas Priest member Tim “Ripper” Owens and Lynch Mob singer Oni Logan.

“Dio Returns” 2019 US Tour Dates:
05/31 – Ft. Myers, FL @ Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall
06/01 – Orlando, FL @ The Plaza Live
06/02 – St. Petersburg, FL @ Palladium Theatre
06/03 – Atlanta, GA @ Vinyl at Center Stage
06/06 – Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
06/07 – Glenside, PA @ Keswick Theatre
06/08 – Asbury Park, NJ @ Paramount Theatre
06/09 – Huntington, NY @ The Paramount
06/11 – Detroit, MI @ The Fillmore
06/12 – Grand Rapids, MI @ 20 Monroe Live
06/14 – St. Charles, IL @ The Arcada Theatre