Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nick Soapdish posted:

The professor for research methods class gave very detailed notes on my paper and I was just so over it because I wrote the second half in a hurried scotch fueled haze. I didn't really care that she gave me a 89 on it.

I'm writing a comparative law paperthats intended to highlight the difference between the American investigatory process and the Argentinian process as a consequence of our different systems of law.

I turned in poo poo but it's a draft and I had to switch topics 2 weeks ago because they don't have a system of evidence to speak of. So far the class has been pretty loose and I don't expect much grief for turning in 9 pages if analysis but who knows :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Write stoned, edit sober.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I got a tax credit that really saved my rear end. I recommend looking up IRS form 8863 if you receive a 1098-T from your school, especially if you are over the age of 25.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

writers block is a bitch

Got pretty good at banging out B- quality papers before midnight tho

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I will write ~20,000 words by the end of the semester, no biggie

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I worked a half day and only wrote 5 pages of stuff. Tomorrow morning I'll be drafting a lot more.

Depending on your field of work, college writing is stupid easy and a joke compared to real world.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm writing a comparative law paperthats intended to highlight the difference between the American investigatory process and the Argentinian process as a consequence of our different systems of law.

I turned in poo poo but it's a draft and I had to switch topics 2 weeks ago because they don't have a system of evidence to speak of. So far the class has been pretty loose and I don't expect much grief for turning in 9 pages if analysis but who knows :shrug:

You're going to write so much more in practice and things change so frequently that scrapping lots of work isn't necessarily uncommon. Just keep good things and re-use them. No need to re-invent the wheel.

EBB posted:

Write stoned, edit sober.

I find that if I really need to write something large, this works well for me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I worked a half day and only wrote 5 pages of stuff. Tomorrow morning I'll be drafting a lot more.

Depending on your field of work, college writing is stupid easy and a joke compared to real world.

You're going to write so much more in practice and things change so frequently that scrapping lots of work isn't necessarily uncommon. Just keep good things and re-use them. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I find that if I really need to write something large, this works well for me.

Oh I know, the PDs office has a motions bank that I've made liberal use of in the past and will again this summer. I don't mind writing If it has a purpose, but just doing analysis for the sake of analysis has finally become quite unpleasant for me. If I was getting paid to do this poo poo that would be one thing. Doing it during my loving free time is something else entirely.

I used to write after having a couple drinks and maybe taking a study aid, but now adays at my advanced age I don't really think such shortcuts are prudent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You are getting paid to write in the form of free school and bah if it helps motivate you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

You are getting paid to write in the form of free school and bah if it helps motivate you.

I read a new york times piece about a homeless veteran in SF who is a trash picker to help push me over the line.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I read a new york times piece about a homeless veteran in SF who is a trash picker to help push me over the line.

This one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/us/trash-pickers-san-francisco-zuckerberg.html

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

That's the one!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

writers block is a bitch

Got pretty good at banging out B- quality papers before midnight tho

:hf:

Do well on labs and other assignments with mediocre lovely papers you don't care about, still get a decent class grade. So glad I'm done with school even though searching for work sucks.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Oh man there were two helpers at the chem table and only one guy so the unoccupied helper got super excited but I ended up solving the problems on my own. The 2000 bio study is usually pretty full but the 2115 I was the only one. I took a worksheet and left and she said she’d email the answers. I really hope she has homework to do or just leaves after a few.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

4 months of nothing since graduating, then I get two job offers in one week. :woop:

Both are contract so they have poo poo vacation/benefits, although I get healthcare from the VA anyway. One was super lowball pay and the other is like 55k a year which is fantastic for entry level work in my field. :woop: :woop:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

4 months of nothing since graduating, then I get two job offers in one week. :woop:

Both are contract so they have poo poo vacation/benefits, although I get healthcare from the VA anyway. One was super lowball pay and the other is like 55k a year which is fantastic for entry level work in my field. :woop: :woop:

Congratulations!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Congrats

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

DoktorLoken posted:

Congrats! 55k is a fantastic start.

I just got a promotion to a GS9 to GS11 job.

The bad news is I haven't been told which unit I'm going to be in: the disability/retirement one (yay! they like each other and it has defined rules to go by) or the SSI/welfare one (boo! they are all mean and backbitey as gently caress, and the entire program is allegation-based and disincentivizes honesty).

I'm hoping that my interviews with outside agencies like the Corps of Engineers and Dept of the Navy, both of which were dead-ends in real life but I'm still using for leverage here, maybe tip the scales.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hah, I also just got selected for a GS-5 job at the VA. Obviously I'm going to decline it because at this stage the contract gig is much better for me career wise and pays a ton more.

4 months of nothing, then three offers in one week. :boom:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
A position opened up that I'm interested in applying for, but a degree is required and I'm fuzzy on how to proceed: Do I say I don't have one yet (truth) and risk being auto-rejected by The System? Do I say I have one and say "May 2019" in the education field and risk getting pinged for knowingly saying something that's technically untrue? Do I wait until I graduate and risk the job being filled in the next month? (holy Jesus a month from today)

I decided to talk to HR tomorrow instead. The position's at my school, so it's not like I won't be there anyway.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I did the same thing when graduating and put my degree info like so: "B.S. Accounting, 3.43/3.83 department/cumulative GPA – Expected completion December 2016 (School name, city and state)"

It got me hired. Finals one week, stepped into the office the week right after with no break. If you put your app in and make your position clear, I don't think there's anything to lose.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I did the same thing when graduating and put my degree info like so: "B.S. Accounting, 3.43/3.83 department/cumulative GPA – Expected completion December 2016 (School name, city and state)"

It got me hired. Finals one week, stepped into the office the week right after with no break. If you put your app in and make your position clear, I don't think there's anything to lose.

There really isn't a place for that in the application. It's literally a dropdown box: Highest level of education completed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

McNally posted:

There really isn't a place for that in the application. It's literally a dropdown box: Highest level of education completed.

I think it was like that on mine too, I just put bachelor's degree in the dropdown and then uploaded my resume as above.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You put May 2019. Don't overthink it.

Either they're going to reject you because it says completed and it's in the future so the system gets confused or they're going to reject you because you don't have one completed and it doesn't break the threshold.

Or they'll proceed because they realize you'll be a recent graduate and if it's a problem for them they'll make your hiring contingent on furnishing proof of your degree when you're supposed to have it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This sounds like the dumbest idea on paper, but a friend of mine at work who has a little GI Bill time left was talking with me about what I'd do if I still had some fractional amount of mine when I'm done with the MBA. We talked about taking a baking course at the local community college together. It's like four hours long on a Tuesday. Our job is flexible enough on leave that we could get it arranged.

I'm irrationally more excited about this idea now than actually finishing my degree.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My best units last quarter were the 2 units of beginning jazz dance so I fully support this. I made sure others in my program started looking around at unusual units so some of them took bowling this quarter. I was too late on yoga but there are plenty of classes in the rec center so I'm going to make sure to hit at least two a week and am forcing my 7s players to do the same.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tentative final semester classes:

Inorganic Chemistry
Nucleic Acid Function and Protein Synthesis
Thermodynamics
Undergraduate Research
Intermediate Computer Programming

Sucks that the advanced calc and ordinary differential equations classes conflict with my chem classes. :(

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Managed to be graduating at the top of my major in May and I'm getting a nice little achievement award for my efforts. Granted, there's only roughly 25 seniors in the IT program, but after 4 years of fulltime school/work and busting my rear end, I'm pretty loving proud I saw this through.

To you dudes/gals that are just starting and/or having a tough time, just push through get that degree. poo poo feels so good once it's done.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You should be allowed to do 30 credits per semester!!!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

Inorganic Chemistry
Thermodynamics
Undergraduate Research

Sucks that the advanced calc and ordinary differential equations classes conflict with my chem classes. :(

You are insane.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Aardvark posted:

Inorganic Chemistry
Thermodynamics
Undergraduate Research

When you have your dissociative episode and break from reality, can I have your stuff?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I might not be able to take the thermo class if they fill the sections with engineering students since I'm a lowly chemistry student and have no priority. But there is hope.

The nucleic acids class is going to be taught by the professor I do research for so that'll be a pretty relaxing class.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I got a really weird email today.

quote:

Greetings McNally,

It is my great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected by the faculty of the History Department to receive the Outstanding Civil War and 19th Century student award for 2018-2019. This award is given in recognition of your academic excellence and contribution to the department and the university.

The award will be presented at a ceremony on April 24 at 5:00 pm at the Frank Center Theater. A reception will follow. Please extend an invitation to family and friends to attend so that they may come and celebrate your achievements. Congratulations on this well deserved honor.

Best,

Dr. Department Chair

When I got this email, I was working on my capstone paper. I have yet to articulate a coherent thesis statement. I only have 15 pages written. It's due on May 1st. I'm presenting on April 27th. I'm wearing a t-shirt with a butt taco on it.

I think they made a mistake.

quote:

Dear Dr. Department Chair,

Was there nobody else up for consideration?

Yours in astonishment,

McNally

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
^loving good on you man.

That’s awesome

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Version control on group papers is going to be the death of me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

McNally posted:

So I got a really weird email today.

When I got this email, I was working on my capstone paper. I have yet to articulate a coherent thesis statement. I only have 15 pages written. It's due on May 1st. I'm presenting on April 27th. I'm wearing a t-shirt with a butt taco on it.

I think they made a mistake.

Congrats, man. That's amazing.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

God drat it, I think I just poo poo the bed on my business ethics final. Ten essay questions, two hours to complete (so, about 12 minutes per question), all answers supported by citations from the textbook, no direct quotes. The guidance for study focus areas was essentially "the whole book lol", so I was going in blind. The whole thing was just specific enough that I couldn't make up something reasonable and go back for citations later. Even with Ctrl+f, I just couldn't poo poo out competent answers from 765 pages of possible material in time. Fucker timed out on me halfway through the ninth question.

I'd be less pissed if it wasn't worth something like 40% of my grade.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My Computational Intelligence teacher expects me to do a lot of the perceptron math by hand which feels like a complete waste of time when she spends 4 hours writing out the derivative of two vectors. I basically told her I wasn't doing calc, I'm already better at programming than most of the EEs anyways and am working through Tensorflow stuff cause I can probably get a good project going if I can start now.

I'm tired of fighting doctors, program and department heads. I still have no clue what to do when I graduate. Moving to LA doesnt appeal to me and the work sounds boring. Maybe I'll re-think MSF.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

God drat it, I think I just poo poo the bed on my business ethics final. Ten essay questions, two hours to complete (so, about 12 minutes per question), all answers supported by citations from the textbook, no direct quotes. The guidance for study focus areas was essentially "the whole book lol", so I was going in blind. The whole thing was just specific enough that I couldn't make up something reasonable and go back for citations later. Even with Ctrl+f, I just couldn't poo poo out competent answers from 765 pages of possible material in time. Fucker timed out on me halfway through the ninth question.

I'd be less pissed if it wasn't worth something like 40% of my grade.

Oh man ouch, that sounds horrible.

Meanwhile my business ethics final a couple years ago was an essay in which I justified stealing large quantities of ammo out of amnesty boxes during my first contractor job because the company wasn't giving us any ammo to practice with :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Personally not a fan of finals being almost half your grade. All else aside, sometimes you just have an off day or a lovely week, or the night before even. Just seems like a lot of unneeded pressure

Unless your professor gives you all the essay questions ahead of time and say picks 3 of the 5, or something like attendance counting for your final.