Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Fideo posted:

Any opinions on Oceans, the next game in the Evolution series?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northstargames/oceans-a-standalone-game-in-the-evolution-series?ref=discovery_category

I've only played Evolution: The Beginning, so I can't say I have a firm grasp of how these games work. I'd love a game with tons of pretty fish, but I'm not seeing a particular reason to back now, instead of waiting for retail.

Promo Pack IV, if it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rutskarn/deniable-assets-the-cybercorporate-villain-rpg

This could be interesting? A PbtA-ish cyberpunk game where the players are corporate middle management in a Paranoia-ish/Fiasco-ish vein of fuckups and backstabbing.

quote:

Deniable Assets is a tabletop RPG about the unglimpsed mid-tier villains of the cyberpunk genre. As rank-and-file megacorporate rats you'll blow money you don't have, fund technology you can't control, lie to everyone, and dodge spies, grifters, and kill-teams as you strive for power in a rigged and amoral system.

Every character's goal is the same: win one real leather seat on the top floor's Executive Board. Board members don't die of old age anymore, so replacing one takes some real vicious stick-to-itiveness. Falling off that ladder means being ruined, arrested, or murdered at best. Those who beat the odds and claim their throne are promoted into hellish, immortal NPCs that help bring about your next character's downfall.

Fortunately for you, you're not your character's friend. You're their witness. Their spectator. Their enabler. You give them what they want and let it ring in their doom; you play to see what happens next and enjoy the mayhem.

There will be fireworks. You'll be holding the match. The question is, who goes up in the blaze?

One of the stretch goals which has already been reached is an expansion for playing a group of actual cyberpunk side characters during a special interlude phase with the goal of killing your main characters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kai Tave posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rutskarn/deniable-assets-the-cybercorporate-villain-rpg

This could be interesting? A PbtA-ish cyberpunk game where the players are corporate middle management in a Paranoia-ish/Fiasco-ish vein of fuckups and backstabbing.

One of the stretch goals which has already been reached is an expansion for playing a group of actual cyberpunk side characters during a special interlude phase with the goal of killing your main characters.

This is an easy sale for $5. Totally on board.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm p stoked for the Lancer kickstarter next week

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looks like Wick sold the rights to 7th Sea to Chaosium so the line has a publisher and capital to finish the Kickstarter again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

This reminds me of Murders & Acquisitions, but I never actually played that so I could be off-base.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

Years ago I ran a short dark comedy Star Wars campaign about senior bureaucrats in the Empire having to figure out how to actually fund and manage the Sith's batshit impractical superweapons and terrible administrative decisions, all while not getting force choked when Vader's in a mood. If there's not a hack for this to do that, I'm making one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looks like Wick sold the rights to 7th Sea to Chaosium so the line has a publisher and capital to finish the Kickstarter again.

Wasn't Chaosium in dire straits and struggling with Kickstarter fulfillment itself not too long ago? How the wheel turns, I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

malkav11 posted:

Wasn't Chaosium in dire straits and struggling with Kickstarter fulfillment itself not too long ago? How the wheel turns, I guess.

Yeah, they brought in new leadership who solved that and got them on an even keel again. They have experience in this crap sandwich now.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh that's great to hear! I'm a huge 7th Sea fan from the late 90's and didn't want it to die yet another ignoble death.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Desiden posted:

Years ago I ran a short dark comedy Star Wars campaign about senior bureaucrats in the Empire having to figure out how to actually fund and manage the Sith's batshit impractical superweapons and terrible administrative decisions, all while not getting force choked when Vader's in a mood. If there's not a hack for this to do that, I'm making one.

Feels like paranoia high programmers.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The new REIGN has opened up to late backers, in case you missed it the first time around.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gentlepeople of tradgames, I made a game. Monsterpunk is a RPG where you play humans that make pacts with monsters for power in a world where the alternative is to be the food, servant or plaything of said monsters. Mechanically it's an effects-based game with a core mechanic that emphasises storytelling via failing forwards/success with cost and also features tactical combat with a cinematic flair.

If you remember Battle Century G, it's a lot like that, but this time my main mechanical inspiration is Shin Megami Tensei rather than Super Robot Wars. It's got the same DNA of being anime as hell with fast gameplay and a big focus on giving PCs cool character moments, but it's also a big experiment in stepping out of my comfort zone. This is my first class-based game and also the first time I put so much focus on having a full-fledged setting instead of the usual point-buy and "just make your own setting guys come on" approach that I'm more used to. It's probably got less depth than BCG as a result but it should be much easier to pick up and play which was my main frustration with that game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lancer is live.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

And it's already funded.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Those Lancer shipping costs are insane - 50+ USD just to Canada from the States!

Serf
May 5, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

Those Lancer shipping costs are insane - 50+ USD just to Canada from the States!

their first update email is about them looking for ways to fix this

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Serf posted:

their first update email is about them looking for ways to fix this

Sure, but I've seen Kickstarters do this before and at best you end up with a few bucks getting shaved off. If 50 bux is your starting point, I'm dubious of it getting down to anywhere near reasonable. (Let alone if you want to ship to Australia!)

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

BinaryDoubts posted:

Ya, these looked awesome, but my eyes buggers out a bit at doubling the cost to ship north

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Having just finalized shipping for a KS campaign it is bananas to ship to Canada from the USA. Luckily my fulfillment partner is near the border and they are willing to drive over the border and ship from within Canada, but if that didn't happen I was going to have actually have all Canada orders shipped from my EU fulfillment center because it was less expensive to get things to Canada from Germany than it was from the USA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

And it's already funded.

Yeah, I'm happy to get in on day one pledge levels for a change.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure USPS thinks every other country is actually on Mars.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

nesbit37 posted:

Having just finalized shipping for a KS campaign it is bananas to ship to Canada from the USA. Luckily my fulfillment partner is near the border and they are willing to drive over the border and ship from within Canada, but if that didn't happen I was going to have actually have all Canada orders shipped from my EU fulfillment center because it was less expensive to get things to Canada from Germany than it was from the USA.

Incidentally, it was a shock when I was quoted $99 shipping to Canada ... but after confirming the first page on JetBacker it went to $19.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Too late now but since they're about to launch a 3rd Kickstarter before fully completing their first one's fulfillment (and no fulfillment on their second one at this point), but I got my campaign planner from this today and I'm really sad about the quality given the ten month delay. First the people who'd pledged to alternate systems (Starfinder, Pathfinder, etc.) were told after billing that j/k, they'd be getting the standard D&D planner and a conversion kit, then the continuous delays, then "90% have been sent but 10% had cover printing errors!" with everyone commenting that, "oh wow I guess I'm in the 10% who didn't get it," and today it actually showed up and it looks like it was printed on draft setting, and no conversion kit.

I know "Kickstarter isn't a store," but I can't help but be disappointed after waiting so long. :sigh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad that (at least thus far) TORG Eternity keeps from launching new KSes until the bulk of the previous one is shipped.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I really want to back this because KSBD is a comic I enjoy and I can only imagine the book will look gorgeous.

But I bounced off hard from the 566-page PDF (seriously why). Does the game actually play well in practice or is it as mechanically bloated as it looks to be?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I'm glad that (at least thus far) TORG Eternity keeps from launching new KSes until the bulk of the previous one is shipped.
I'm glad they're not over-reaching, but at the same time I wish the books would come out faster.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slimnoid posted:

I really want to back this because KSBD is a comic I enjoy and I can only imagine the book will look gorgeous.

But I bounced off hard from the 566-page PDF (seriously why). Does the game actually play well in practice or is it as mechanically bloated as it looks to be?

Get your hands on a beta, those PDFs were way smaller. I suspect s lot of that extra space is just more mechs, art, layout and setting material.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mors Rattus posted:

Get your hands on a beta, those PDFs were way smaller. I suspect s lot of that extra space is just more mechs, art, layout and setting material.

This, pretty much. When I was going through the beta, there were a lot of TABLES and EQUIPMENT but it wasn't anywhere near 566 pages.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Rules are done about 120 pages in, the next 180 are player equipment and options, the rest is setting and GM-facing stuff.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leraika posted:

This, pretty much. When I was going through the beta, there were a lot of TABLES and EQUIPMENT but it wasn't anywhere near 566 pages.

Well, this is going off the pre-release on itch.io which I know doesn't have all the formatting in it and everything you'd expect from a finished product.

Tricky posted:

Rules are done about 120 pages in, the next 180 are player equipment and options, the rest is setting and GM-facing stuff.

But this still makes me blanch a little. Not insurmountable, obviously, but nowadays I give RPGs that go for that many pages on their rules the side-eye.

I fully admit that it may be that college has killed all my love and enjoyment for big ol' reference books that span hundreds of pages though, so :shrug: I might throw down on it anyway to support an artist I like because I'm dumb and like pretty books but drat if I'll ever be able to play any of it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Well, this is going off the pre-release on itch.io which I know doesn't have all the formatting in it and everything you'd expect from a finished product.

But this still makes me blanch a little. Not insurmountable, obviously, but nowadays I give RPGs that go for that many pages on their rules the side-eye.

I fully admit that it may be that college has killed all my love and enjoyment for big ol' reference books that span hundreds of pages though, so :shrug: I might throw down on it anyway to support an artist I like because I'm dumb and like pretty books but drat if I'll ever be able to play any of it.

As a point of comparison, if you've ever played D&D 4E then Lancer is a step or two down from that in terms of volume of mechanics.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

As a point of comparison, if you've ever played D&D 4E then Lancer is a step or two down from that in terms of volume of mechanics.

That's actually much more encouraging. 4e's probably my fav version of D&D, next to BECMI. Would you say it's closer to Gamma World 7e than 4e, or somewhere in-between?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

That's actually much more encouraging. 4e's probably my fav version of D&D, next to BECMI. Would you say it's closer to Gamma World 7e than 4e, or somewhere in-between?

I'd say it's somewhere between Gamma World and 4E, yeah. To give an example, in 4E each character class had 30 levels of play, each level of which had multiple options for powers, plus then you have magic gear, feats, etc etc.

In Lancer, each mech is three licenses of two things each. You have 12 levels. So you will eventually accumulate some stuff but in terms of sheer overhead it's less to deal with than 4E, perhaps a bit less "randomly draw some cards and wing it" than Gamma World. It's a game where I don't feel like a character creation program is necessary, unlike 4E where I wouldn't really want to do it freehand anymore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Slimnoid posted:

It is really similar to Shadow of the Demon Lord, mechanically.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is really similar to Shadow of the Demon Lord, mechanically.

It has boons and banes from SotDL, yeah, and I believe its initiative system is similar. In terms of tactical combat it isn't EXACTLY akin to 4E in every respect but it has a similar emphasis on positioning, forced movement, there are mechanical options to give you some defender-ish mechanics, you have Daily powers, etc. If you've played 4E before then "you get a Move and a couple types of actions on your turn" is pretty readily graspable. If you've played any RPGs in the last ten years or so Lancer isn't asking you to learn stuff you haven't already learned before in broad strokes.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Just wanted to say that my friend is the creator of this and he's pretty rad, we've worked together for years on larp design stuff and I think this game is gonna turn out pretty cool!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

The latest beta PDF is 566 pages so I imagine the finished PDF will be longer, accounting for layout and art that exist.

Of that, ~50 pages are the mech combat rules, ~50 are the character creation rules and pilot rules/options, ~150 are the mech creation options, ~50 are the GM rules, ~100 are the bestiary, and ~200 are the setting material.

The game in play is way more straightforward than that would suggest - it's basically like 4E in that it frontloads 90% of the mechanical complexity in the character building phase, where you have to figure out which options you want out of 150 pages of mech options.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

The latest beta PDF is 566 pages so I imagine the finished PDF will be longer, accounting for layout and art that exist.

Of that, ~50 pages are the mech combat rules, ~50 are the character creation rules and pilot rules/options, ~150 are the mech creation options, ~50 are the GM rules, ~100 are the bestiary, and ~200 are the setting material.

The game in play is way more straightforward than that would suggest - it's basically like 4E in that it frontloads 90% of the mechanical complexity in the character building phase, where you have to figure out which options you want out of 150 pages of mech options.

This is a pretty good breakdown. The nature of mech building is such that it's also fairly, I would say, low on the complexity scale compared to a more point-buy sort of system where you have to actually build up your robot layer by layer. In Lancer mech building breaks down like this:

1). You pick which frame you want to use. The frame gives you its stats all laid out and ready to go.

2). Based on your pilot's personal Hull, Agility, Systems, and Engineering scores, your frame's stats will get some bonuses. Having a high Hull gives you more HP and healing surges, for instance. Agility will add to evasion and speed, and so on.

3). Your frame has mounts. This tells you how many and what type of weapons that mech can equip. You just fill your mount space up, no point buy is necessary or anything. You have access to all weapons you have licenses for.

4). Your frame has System Points, which is basically "all stuff that isn't weapons go here." Various systems cost X System Points, you can take as many as you want until you're maxed out. Costs are such that until you get to the very, very end of your character's leveling career you won't be juggling too many systems, at the beginning (like levels 0-3) depending on the frame you're piloting you might have between 5-10 SP, and most systems are in the 2-3 point range with a few outliers at the 1 SP or 4 SP level.

5). That's it, you're done.

The only other real mechanical layer on top of that is Talents, which are basically feats. They come in trees three deep, you get 3 of them at level 0 and one per level after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lemon-Lime posted:

For what it’s worth I’d predict the final PDF will be about 450 pages, though it’s hard to tell until I have the actual finished text to work with. But yeah from what I’ve seen it gives you a lot of options, then locks away most of that complexity when you’re off on a mission.