Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Supposedly it's an acceptable alternate pronunciation, but I'm not sure I really believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Memento posted:

I assume back then no one knew how to pronounce "giga"? Was that the story?
It's a valid alternate pronunciation, apparently.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gigawatt

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's similar to how gif is pronounced, really.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Memento posted:

According to wikipedia, it was in use from the 60s to the 80s and then fell out of use. The proper way to pronounce it is the same way you pronounce the G in garage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

According to wikipedia, it was in use from the 60s to the 80s and then fell out of use. The proper way to pronounce it is the same way you pronounce the G in garage.

:golfclap:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

helicopters are really useful. before the game use them to dry the field. after the game use them to bust up those rowdy college kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGRHFBCGtB8

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Nicky Hayden had a few helmet designs in a similar vein, and while they're a fair bit less creepy...they're still loving creepy.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/nicky-haydens-laguna-seca-helmet-photos/

There have been a few hockey goalies that have had something like that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Necros posted:

helicopters are really useful. before the game use them to dry the field. after the game use them to bust up those rowdy college kids.

All that crap flying up seems like it could be a real problem for the helicopter.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Won't someone think of the poor cops?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Queen Combat posted:

Won't someone think of the poor cops?

No.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Senor P. posted:

I am legitimately surprised I have never seen one of these types of step-ladders before.

Does anyone make one like that? With a big handle for grasping as you go up/down? Seems useful.

Spit-balling here but I imagine they didn't hold up and having a handle suddenly give way when you are leaning on it is worse than having no handle at all. Lean left, lean right, lean forward and eventually the thin bit around the connector is gonna give.

Even if you put a big red label on it saying "This is only for balance, don't put all your weight on it" people will still lean all their weight against it because people are idiots.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 9, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Good

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I think it happened because a cop got punched by some kid. The obvious and totally proportional response is to call in your spinning murder bird to gently caress up everyone's cornhole game and hopefully not crash into the crowd of hundreds of students.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sagebrush posted:

Supposedly it's an acceptable alternate pronunciation, but I'm not sure I really believe that.

Wikipedia says it is derived from the word 'giant', so perhaps we're the ones getting it wrong?

Memento posted:

Pretty much. Everyone would use 'billion', heck we still do in most non-IT usage.

Christopher Lloyd said he had never heard of the word before BTTF and was simply going on the pronunciation given to him by some science guy he met on the set.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Spit-balling here but I imagine they didn't hold up and having a handle suddenly give way when you are leaning on it is worse than having no handle at all. Lean left, lean right, lean forward and eventually the thin bit around the connector is gonna give.

Even if you put a big red label on it saying "This is only for balance, don't put all your weight on it" people will still lean all their weight against it because people are idiots.

one of the many reasons that platform ladders are the superior ladder type

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I love my step ladder. I never knew my real ladder.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Necros posted:

I had to google that phrase in the context of a party. So uh, I assume the party goers are doing something not allowed by having said party? I'm kind of at a loss here culturally to see what's going on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

But not the 'g' in gaol.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Serephina posted:

I had to google that phrase in the context of a party. So uh, I assume the party goers are doing something not allowed by having said party? I'm kind of at a loss here culturally to see what's going on.

Google 'ACAB'.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thus we conclude that words in the English language are impossible to pronounce correctly.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I love my step ladder. I never knew my real ladder.

This one needs more appreciation.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Serephina posted:

College football fans are probably the closest thing American sports has to soccer hooligans/ultras. Tailgate parties are a thing where everybody shows up and cooks BBQ and gets drunk in the parking lot before the game starts, and the NFL has banned them for about a decade now due to "security issues."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dr. Despair posted:

one of the many reasons that platform [fibreglass] ladders are the superior ladder type

All the benefits of the platform ladder without the risk of becoming a ground conductor for 32A @ 240VAC.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Senor P. posted:

I am legitimately surprised I have never seen one of these types of step-ladders before.

Does anyone make one like that? With a big handle for grasping as you go up/down? Seems useful.

They make them for old people, generally with only one step.

https://www.seaflo-uk.com/aluminium-2-step-folding-ladder-with-support-handle-caravan-home-diy-motorhome-9252-p.asp

Or you could buy an antique one for a thousand bucks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SerthVarnee posted:

This one needs more appreciation.
I was going to suggest the term bio ladder but grossed myself out

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The DoD was issuing educational posters about the metric system that claimed "jigga" was the correct pronunciation to public schools as late as 2003

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
this whole album: https://imgur.com/gallery/yYhFae2

https://i.imgur.com/sjTjTW2.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Everyone have a safe day!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Well obviously ~that~ rear end in a top hat went to college.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ahhhhhhhhhh

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is that other guy wearing two helmets?

this is me:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 9, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Somebody forget their wedge blocks?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nenonen posted:

Is that other guy wearing two helmets?

No, he's wearing a baseball cap under his hard hat

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

drunkill posted:

this whole album:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

My boss saw the same exact thing during the post Sandy gas shortage out here.

If it wasn't for the texas plates I'd guess that's what was happening.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well obviously ~that~ rear end in a top hat went to college.
Your mom went to college!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

JB50 posted:

Somebody forget their wedge blocks?

That looks more like they started sawing the tree from the wrong direction, from the notch side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Renegret posted:

My boss saw the same exact thing during the post Sandy gas shortage out here.

If it wasn't for the texas plates I'd guess that's what was happening.

That's what is happening here, almost certainly.

Last time a hurricane hit the coast here we had a artificial gas shortage because a lot of idiots bought all the loving gas in the city because they thought San Antonio was about to turn into Fury loving Road.