Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Kettlebells own ya’ll are silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

abgushte badamjan posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest he's referring to kettlebell halos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJcmanVh5EE

Dumbbell works too

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

bomb posted:

I have 2 32kg kbs, the best time for me to work out is at lunch and I like to work out at the gym. Not much room at the house with kiddos on the way and weather outside sucks.

My progression will continue for a bit at 32kg and instead of swapping to doubles I’ll probably just grab that 40kg and push up that way.

Either way I like the space, mirrors, and I also use barbells and dumbbells for stuff too. I do simple and Sinister pretty much every day even on my heavy lift days so having my training bell at the gym makes a lot of sense to me.

I can see that, I don't have kids, or have to structure my workouts the way you do. So, I get it now.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

48kg TGU is my life goal rn

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.
Someone was selling a 132 pound kettlebell locally on Craigslist and I curse myself forever for not jumping on it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm sure you can do sensible things with kettlebells since it's just a lump of iron but the only people I ever see use kettlebells as a core of their routine are people who look like poo poo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
These days I start every workout with some kettlebell TGUs, they make my shoulders feel awesome.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can't you just use a dumbbell for a turkish getup

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zzulu posted:

yes but you have to have wrist strength of the gods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLJT5MV8cs&t=10s

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yeah. It's not exactly the same though, the main difference/advantage with kettlebells here is the same as in other exercises, i.e. the offset center of gravity. Doing a TGU with a dumbbell or other symmetrical object has you gripping the center of gravity; with a kettlebell you have the COG slightly offline and this poses a greater challenge in keeping your arm stable. (Which is key to the whole exercise, if you let your arm move more than a tiny bit from vertical you're probably going to fail.)

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Groke posted:

Yeah. It's not exactly the same though, the main difference/advantage with kettlebells here is the same as in other exercises, i.e. the offset center of gravity. Doing a TGU with a dumbbell or other symmetrical object has you gripping the center of gravity; with a kettlebell you have the COG slightly offline and this poses a greater challenge in keeping your arm stable. (Which is key to the whole exercise, if you let your arm move more than a tiny bit from vertical you're probably going to fail.)

If anything it'd be inherently more stable with a kettlebell, since the center of gravity would be lower? Or do you mean holding the handle with the bulk of the kb straight up?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ovenboy posted:

If anything it'd be inherently more stable with a kettlebell, since the center of gravity would be lower? Or do you mean holding the handle with the bulk of the kb straight up?

with a KB you're going to hold it handle up, bell against your wrist.

Some people will point the bell upwards to show off but it's more difficult.

And then some people will use them to stand on while doing pistols for IG points

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

tired: one armed barbell TGU

wired: one armed clean and jerks

https://i.imgur.com/XLQEBnC.mp4

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ovenboy posted:

If anything it'd be inherently more stable with a kettlebell, since the center of gravity would be lower?

Not really.

You're trying to keep your arm straight, stable and vertical. Draw a line through your wrist and your shoulder and that line should ideally never move from the vertical at any point during the exercise. With a dumbbell, the center of gravity is on that line the whole time. With a kettlebell, it's never on the line so wants to pull your arm sideways, which you had better not allow.

quote:

Or do you mean holding the handle with the bulk of the kb straight up?

Haha, no.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No belt, that's legit.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Groke posted:

Not really.

You're trying to keep your arm straight, stable and vertical. Draw a line through your wrist and your shoulder and that line should ideally never move from the vertical at any point during the exercise. With a dumbbell, the center of gravity is on that line the whole time. With a kettlebell, it's never on the line so wants to pull your arm sideways, which you had better not allow.

Yeah, the center of gravity of the limb+weight is going to be as close to directly above the shoulder joint no matter if you are using a kettlebell or a dumbbell. However, with a kettlebell the center of gravity of the limb+weight is going to be lower than with a dumbbell, making the system inherently more stable. The kettlebell will only pull your arm sideways if your arm is completely vertical, which it wont be if you are balancing the arm+bell directly over your shoulder joint.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Yeah, KB is way more comfy though. I actually prefer barbell to dumbbell getups if I had to choose.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All the trap bars I see pictured online look like toys compared to the one at my gym. It's massive.

And good. I need to use it more often.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

PR'd my deadlift at 385lbs this morning :feelsgood:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

All the trap bars I see pictured online look like toys compared to the one at my gym. It's massive.

Yes you do. The trap bar is life.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Great work! Getting close to the 400s. You’ve got this poo poo on lock.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Going to feel really good when you hit that 405

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

bomb posted:

Going to feel really good when you hit that 405

Can confirm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvzP_VugYmf/

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvabzevBnHd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ocf04ycxxsek

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Severe post workout soreness and fatigue for the past 8ish weeks. I chalked it up to bad sleep from allergies because my tonsils have been swollen. Tried to train through it, but kept feeling exhausted during my workouts. Didn't miss any workouts and definitely got some good ones in but as it got worse I had to keep dialing back weights and intensity. As it reached it's worst about 3 weeks ago; I finally saw a doctor.

Turns out you can have a relapse of mono. And here I was, thinking that I was just getting lazy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SWOLECEPTION: Sometimes it’s Mono

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
So it can resurface again. My SO has had similar symptoms the last few weeks. Guess I gotta nudge her to a doctor so she will actually take some actual rest.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

After a tough but succesful 4 month cut, I am excited to start a 5 month bulk. gently caress yeah. I shall eat all the salamis

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

After a tough but succesful 4 month cut, I am excited to start a 5 month bulk. gently caress yeah. I shall eat all the salamis

Wait... hold on. Aren’t you supposed to cut leading up to summer and bulk in the winter?? You are doing this backwards!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A four month cut sounds like hell

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Wait... hold on. Aren’t you supposed to cut leading up to summer and bulk in the winter?? You are doing this backwards!

Southern hemisphere so everything is in reverse. Winter is coming.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I've been going to the gym almost every day for the last 2 years, sometime last month everyone realized it and started talking to me. What did I do wrong and how do I get back my anonymous status?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Protein farts.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Protein farts.

I always take a giant duke before working out so I'm pretty cleared out and not smelly unfortunately

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

I've been going to the gym almost every day for the last 2 years, sometime last month everyone realized it and started talking to me. What did I do wrong and how do I get back my anonymous status?

Don’t be weird and say hi to people. Also spread the kettlebell gospel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bomb posted:

Grunt more and drop weights.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Grunt more and drop weights.

There's a dude that shows up once a month and grunts and screams like he's all methed out. Dude you are doing situps wtf are you screaming for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

There's a dude that shows up once a month and grunts and screams like he's all methed out. Dude you are doing situps wtf are you screaming for.

I’d scream because sit-ups are dumb.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Maybe he’s got a hernia and is working through the pain

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

bomb posted:

Be the most jacked person in the gym and constantly look pissed off? Works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MarcusSA posted:

I’d scream because sit-ups are dumb.

I do a bunch of dumb core work on the last 30 of my 90 minutes of lifting. Probably scarily close to crossfit. Decline situps where you toss a 25lb medicine ball at peak then catch it. Oblique crunches with a medicine ball on whatever that rack I use is called. Bicycle crunches. Hanging leg raises. Year of visible abs is well on it's way.

Situps are dumb.

bomb posted:

If you figure it out let me know. Same thing has happened to me at my Y. I guess it's alright, talking to people, but I liked being ignored while I did my thing too.