Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eames posted:

That’s very interesting. My old 1515+ didn’t wake up on normal network access. I wonder if Synology added that feature or if your client sends a special WOL packet by default. Does it also wake up when you browse to its webinterface while it is hibernating?
Yes indeed. I think it just wakes for any kind of access. Pretty handy, although I leave it off on my main units for drive wear reasons as I was instructed to in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Beaucoup Haram posted:

I've currently got a Chenbro 48 drive 4ru case and it's using a lot of power for a system with only 16 disks in it.

What alternatives are there that can do 24-48 drives that I can use commodity parts in (ie ATX psu, 120mm fans etc). Low power and low noise would be the focus.

A Supermicro with a SQ PSU would be the 2nd best option but I'd prefer standard off the shelf parts if possible so I can replace if something fails without a hassle.

System is 2 x 2680v2 in an Intel board, 128gb DDR3 ECC, 280gb Optane PCIE + LSI HBA running virtualised Napp-It with a passthrough HBA. 16 x 3tb drives (Toshiba DTAwhatevers)

Do you need redundant power supplies? If not, then a Storinator with a standard ATX PSU could be an option. Do you need all the IO those drives could provide? If you could manage with no more than ten large drives you would have much more options. For the transcoding duties you could use a Threadripper or a GPU encoding. But might need a pro card for multiple streams.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Do you need redundant power supplies? If not, then a Storinator with a standard ATX PSU could be an option. Do you need all the IO those drives could provide? If you could manage with no more than ten large drives you would have much more options. For the transcoding duties you could use a Threadripper or a GPU encoding. But might need a pro card for multiple streams.

How good is GPU encoding ? Could it do 10 1080p streams simultaneously ? If I could cut down on the resource requirements I agree it would be a lot easier to find something that fit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beaucoup Haram posted:

How good is GPU encoding ? Could it do 10 1080p streams simultaneously ? If I could cut down on the resource requirements I agree it would be a lot easier to find something that fit.
By quite probably voiding your warrenty, you can get around nVidias opinions.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Beaucoup Haram posted:

This thread makes it seem like the quadros or an unlocked nvidia consumer card could do that easily:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/b7dke3/buying_an_nvidia_quadro_card_was_a_great_decision/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got one of my two new 10 TB WD Elements, and it's perfect.

Separately, and unrelatedly, I got a pair of "refurbished" He6 drives from goHardDrive and they turned up basically all worn out, with years of on-time and lots of bad sectors. Unfortunately they've got to go back, and I'm extra disappointed because a similar drive (actually an He8 from the same reseller) I got last year has been working perfectly, with far fewer hours on it. :sigh:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Quadro P2000.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm currently running an N36L with 4x3TB drives in Raid5 on ZFS/FreeBSD. This is now more or less completely full, and I'm considering my next upgrade in the coming months. I use it to mostly act as a big file storage blob, but also run Emby server on it (I don't transcode).

When I built this, the MO was to find a nice small-form-factor PC with a bunch of HDD slots, dump Linux/BSD/FreeNAS on it, and roll your own. That was ages ago when I first had 4x1TB drives in it. Since then all the pre-built NAS solutions have appeared. Having said that, I'm not sure whether I want to go with one, or roll my own again.

I'm considering a 6-disk setup this time, with 6x8TB or 6x10TB drives in Raid 6. I could be swayed to other solutions with enough reasoning. On one hand, I could just go with a Synology or equivalent system, however if I were to roll my own, what is generally considered the best method of doing this? Is it to grab a Mini ITX board and find a 6-8 bay case for it all? Or do other mobo form factors suit better? Is the market for these sorts of cases significant, or has it more or less been devoured by the pre-made solutions?

I'm just beginning to research this all, but some initial pointers and pros/cons about the high-level options would be handy if anyone has any.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'm looking for a NAS to replace a Toshiba single drive one that is a few years old at this point and would like something with a RAID because I hate disk failures. Would it be worth it from a strictly energy use and disk failure standpoint to use SSDs? Home use, 1 device will be streaming video files from it at a time, and data will pretty much be write once read many. Largely thinking of using disks from the Samsung 860 line (2tb)
And are there any M.2 RAID capable NAS enclosures that can hold at least 4 drives that are worth a drat?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

I'm looking for a NAS to replace a Toshiba single drive one that is a few years old at this point and would like something with a RAID because I hate disk failures. Would it be worth it from a strictly energy use and disk failure standpoint to use SSDs? Home use, 1 device will be streaming video files from it at a time, and data will pretty much be write once read many. Largely thinking of using disks from the Samsung 860 line (2tb)
And are there any M.2 RAID capable NAS enclosures that can hold at least 4 drives that are worth a drat?

Unless you place an exceedingly high value on decibels then solid state is not "worth it" monetarily in probably any metric you can come up with for home use.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fire Storm posted:

Would it be worth it from a strictly energy use and disk failure standpoint to use SSDs? Home use, 1 device will be streaming video files from it at a time, and data will pretty much be write once read many. Largely thinking of using disks from the Samsung 860 line (2tb)

SSDs are too expensive to be worth it in NAS use, but otherwise they wouldn't be a bad choice. As a compromise you could consider 2.5" harddrives and something like Synology DS416slim.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
B&H has WD Mybook 10TB Externals for $146 at this moment. Probably going to sell fast though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413208-REG/wd_wdbbgb0100hbk_nesn_10tb_my_book_desktop.html

edit: Amazon it matching
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMH78R5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XbdTCb7BJMV39

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 15, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

They're sold out but the 8T drives are $127 on Amazon. Is that a decent price?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

It is. USD$130 is the current decent routine sale price for 8TB shuckable drives.

Another question, is this thread a suitable place to ask about selfhosted applications you run on NASes/Home Servers etc?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

While googling for some tips on shucking these particular units I saw somebody mention refurbished HGST drives as another good option, and they do have good reviews on Amazon etc. Anyone in the thread tried those?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

While googling for some tips on shucking these particular units I saw somebody mention refurbished HGST drives as another good option, and they do have good reviews on Amazon etc. Anyone in the thread tried those?

I got a couple older stock HGSTs from ebay. Get em until they are gone I guess.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm seeing both showing that they'll take orders, but they'll be delayed a few days or weeks. 8TB can generally be found for $130 pretty frequently, so it's about as good as normal.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Heners_UK posted:

Another question, is this thread a suitable place to ask about selfhosted applications you run on NASes/Home Servers etc?
Go for it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've got both now. I did some GoHardDrive refurb HGSTs a while back when there was a drought of WD deals, and did my most recent expansions with shucked WDs (especially now that there's a ruling in place stating that opening a device alone can't void the warranty).

They're both fine. Neither is 'perfect' - with the refurb drives you're relying on a third party for your RMAs. With that said two of the HGSTs I got were DOA and GoHardDrive was very easy to work with on said RMAs. With the WDs, you can get your RMAs through them, but you'll need to stash the enclosures somewhere. I just stuck each one back in its box and threw them out in the garage. You also need to actually shuck them, but that's really easy to do.

At any point going forward I'm just going to do whichever is cheaper on a $/GB basis, and if you can wait for a sale that's pretty much always going to be the WDs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got both now. I did some GoHardDrive refurb HGSTs a while back when there was a drought of WD deals, and did my most recent expansions with shucked WDs (especially now that there's a ruling in place stating that opening a device alone can't void the warranty).

They're both fine. Neither is 'perfect' - with the refurb drives you're relying on a third party for your RMAs. With that said two of the HGSTs I got were DOA and GoHardDrive was very easy to work with on said RMAs. With the WDs, you can get your RMAs through them, but you'll need to stash the enclosures somewhere. I just stuck each one back in its box and threw them out in the garage. You also need to actually shuck them, but that's really easy to do.

At any point going forward I'm just going to do whichever is cheaper on a $/GB basis, and if you can wait for a sale that's pretty much always going to be the WDs.

I was considering the HGSTs because I took a look at the Amazon reviews for those WD My Books and so many people reported infant mortality (and hassles returning them) that I started looking elsewhere.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD8N69185&ignorebbr=1 works out to $17.50/TB, which isn't too bad. I'm thinking about starting small with a pair of 4TB drives, since right now I've got everything on a single 1TB external (with important poo poo occasionally copied to a secondary external)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's the same reseller I got mine through, though I think I bought mine via their Amazon storefront instead. They're legit and they've apparently been around a long time (there are some surprisingly old posts on reddit about them, usually positive as well). Most of the negative feedback I've ever seen them get stems from them and/or customers being unclear about the fact that they are absolutely used hard drives with a lot of hours on them.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love my He8 from GHD but the last 4 drives I got were not quite in the condition expected. All had lots of bad sectors, which aren't what I'd say are appropriate to resell drives to new consumers (it'd be fine if they were heavily used but without obvious disk surface issues.) The He6s (were those the DoA drives you bought by any chance?) also were basically run 24/7 for 5 years (the original warranty period) and then pulled & resold, which is unacceptable. That aforementioned He8 is newer and only had like 1/3 the hours on it, so that's my frame of reference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone but the manufacture actually refurb a drive? I don't think so. I bet all they do is run a low level format and call it a day. Let the customer weed out the garbage.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
So taking the thread's advice, my way was stupid. I massively overestimated the power and noise of the new NASs, 40w and 20.8dB isn't bad at all.

It's looking like the Synology NAS DiskStation DS1019+ is leading for me, since it's quad core instead of the WD PR4100's dual core, not that I'll likely do anything with that. Also, I was playing around with their RAID calculator, can you actually do a 5 disk RAID-1 with this?

Plus, it helps that I have a stack of 4GB SAS disks to use (used, but work enough).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

So taking the thread's advice, my way was stupid. I massively overestimated the power and noise of the new NASs, 40w and 20.8dB isn't bad at all.

It's looking like the Synology NAS DiskStation DS1019+ is leading for me, since it's quad core instead of the WD PR4100's dual core, not that I'll likely do anything with that. Also, I was playing around with their RAID calculator, can you actually do a 5 disk RAID-1 with this?

Plus, it helps that I have a stack of 4GB SAS disks to use (used, but work enough).

I mean, 5 disk raid-1 is just the useful space of 1 disk. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator?hdds=4%20TB|4%20TB|4%20TB|4%20TB
Raid-1 = 4TB usable, 12TB "protection" (mirrors), 4 disk fault tolerance.
SHR = 12TB usable, 4TB "protection", 1 disk fault tolerance

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

H110Hawk posted:

I mean, 5 disk raid-1 is just the useful space of 1 disk. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator?hdds=4%20TB|4%20TB|4%20TB|4%20TB
Raid-1 = 4TB usable, 12TB "protection" (mirrors), 4 disk fault tolerance.
SHR = 12TB usable, 4TB "protection", 1 disk fault tolerance
No, that's exactly what I was seeing. I've just never been able to have a RAID setup actually do it, I'm just surprised that the software allows it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fire Storm posted:

I don't think that box will support SAS drives though. SAS controllers will run SATA drives, but not the other way around.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

redeyes posted:

Can anyone but the manufacture actually refurb a drive? I don't think so. I bet all they do is run a low level format and call it a day. Let the customer weed out the garbage.

Correct, and even the manufacturers don’t bother. The cost to make a brand new drive is way less than opening a used drive in a cleanroom, inspecting / cleaning / replacing parts, and then reassembling. I can believe that they capture some percentage of incoming returns for failure analysis. The rest are going in the shredder to recycle the metal, not getting rebuilt.

Anecdotally, I had a Seagate 1.5TB fail inside warranty and sent it in to get a replacement. What I got back was a several generations newer 2.0TB drive with a special label indicating it was a warranty replacement drive, not for retail sale etc. It appeared to be brand new, both by external appearance (no dust or scratches, date code a few months before it was sent to me) and SMART stats.

Atomizer posted:

I love my He8 from GHD but the last 4 drives I got were not quite in the condition expected. All had lots of bad sectors, which aren't what I'd say are appropriate to resell drives to new consumers (it'd be fine if they were heavily used but without obvious disk surface issues.) The He6s (were those the DoA drives you bought by any chance?) also were basically run 24/7 for 5 years (the original warranty period) and then pulled & resold, which is unacceptable. That aforementioned He8 is newer and only had like 1/3 the hours on it, so that's my frame of reference.

Tbh if I were buying drives from GHD, 5 hard years in a datacenter is about what I’d expect to see, on average. Where else are they going to get a moderately high volume of used HDDs in known good condition?

This is why I would never buy third party “refurbs”. They can’t actually do anything to improve the condition of the drive, just screen out the worst ones, and even if you get a clean drive, the risk that it’s something a datacenter dumped because the warranty period ran out is too great.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

redeyes posted:

Pretty much yes, but the assumption I'm working under is that they're getting used drives, checking them out to make sure they're in good condition (e.g. no bad sectors) and cleaning them up (both externally and wiping the contents) before passing them along. I'm totally OK with reusing a drive that still works fine. (As we all know, some percentage of brand-new drives fail anyway, so a known-good drive is desirable, especially since my low usage patterns mean they'll last quite a while in my hands.)

BobHoward posted:

Tbh if I were buying drives from GHD, 5 hard years in a datacenter is about what I’d expect to see, on average. Where else are they going to get a moderately high volume of used HDDs in known good condition?

This is why I would never buy third party “refurbs”. They can’t actually do anything to improve the condition of the drive, just screen out the worst ones, and even if you get a clean drive, the risk that it’s something a datacenter dumped because the warranty period ran out is too great.

Like I said regarding the He8, it had a very acceptable number of power cycles and hours, and no bad sectors, so that's what I was using for my frame-of-reference for buying a used/"refurb'd" datacenter drive from GHD. That was not the case for the drives I recently bought, including both the heavily-used He6s and the new-ish consumer-grade laptop drives. Other than heavily-used datacenter drives, I'd assume GHD resells drives processed from, for example, office liquidations, laptop returns/exchanges, etc.; the HDDs don't necessarily have to have come from a source that beat them into the ground.

At this point though, I've got enough 8 & 10 TB WD external drives to not really need to bother with GHD any time soon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fire Storm posted:

It may be worth noting that 20dBa at 1 m/3"3⅜' is the usual rating for office appliances; ie. everything from thin clients, desktop computers, HVAC outlets, and such.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Lots of love for BackBlaze in here. But their website is just ambiguous enough that it doesn't help me figure out what my potential cost would be.

I'm backing up my personal files (15tb or so at the moment, but the volume is 20tb or so) and their website says a flat fee for personal backup for a single machine. Is my one FreeNAS server with my personal files plus machines that back up to it considered a single machine for personal use?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Last I checked Backblaze regular / unlimited backup only worked on desktop systems. A lot of folks in here are using B2, which is charged by the GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They say they have a guy that backs up 480TB on the regular plan lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biggest downside to backblaze is the recovery options.. you select a hard drive that's being backed up and they give you a download link for a zip file. Or you can pay $100+ for a usb key/hard drive.

Also they delete your backup if the source drive goes offline for 30 days, which really does not give me warm fuzzies. Like what if my house burns down and it takes me two months to get a new computer?

(but I still use them because all their competitors are worse, it just means if my house does burn down I'm gonna be spending a lot of time at a public computer)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's only like 200gb incremental ZIP files too right?

e:Lol holy poo poo I am reading on reddit that if your data is encrypted they require you to hand over the private key before they let you restore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 16, 2019

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
That is all just for their normal product I guess though right? I haven’t bumped into those restrictions on B2.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I'm talking about the unlimited personal plan. That's still batshit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I am going to piggyback off the poster above asking about DIY.

I need something reasonably compact, low-power, and quiet (our home office is becoming a nursery, so it will live next to the TV until we move somewhere with a dedicated office). Main uses will be file sharing and backup of personal files, consolidated scheduled remote backup to Backblaze B2, and running a bunch of Docker containers (4-6, mostly lightweight stuff like OpenHab, Mosquitto, and PiHole). AES-NI would be nice for filesystem encryption and maybe offloading OpenVPN from my router. Possibly some low-usage (max 2 streams) Plex/Emby. Currently some of this is running on a stack of RPis which I would like to cut down or replace.

Would something like the QNAP TS-453Be be the right solution for me, or would I do better to build something with a mITX embedded board with the same J3455? How is the experience running plain-Jane Linux after QNAP support ends?

Anything to be careful of/avoid if shopping for a used QNAP or MicroServer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, i'm here for a quick question: Amongst the things my deceased father left behind, i found a stack (6 or 8, didn't count) of unused WD Red NAS drives, the WD40EFRX ones to be exact.
I'm pretty clueless about networking stuff and whatever he set up at home in this regard (I'm still hoping we can clear out the rooms quick enough to let a specialist take a look at the 15 different switches and masses of cables he left behind before the home network and internet suddenly collapses), so i'm not sure what to do with those.

Can these NAS drives be used as a normal PC HDD? Might be able to get some use out of those that way.