Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

pay out a whole bunch all at once AND volunteer to shrink the size of your paychecks? THANK YOU MR PRESIDENT

those corporate tax cuts don't pay for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This is what we call "tinkle-down economics."

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

those corporate tax cuts don't pay for themselves

Those poor corporations were obviously being marginalized by those drat libs and their human rights laws!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Tax Shellgame is super funny lol

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Word life, this is basic Trumpanomics

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I'm just surprised at a chud saying "ends meet" not "end's meat"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
How is your tax system so hosed up? Even in hellhole Britain literally my only interaction with the taxman has been two cheques they sent me, unprompted, when they took too much.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

How is your tax system so hosed up? Even in hellhole Britain literally my only interaction with the taxman has been two cheques they sent me, unprompted, when they took too much.

Corporations pay for it to stay broken

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its so the wealthy can have ways to avoid paying taxes, while at the same time everyone has to pay a for-profit industry to prepare them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the TurboTax corporation has enshrined obfuscatory tax systems in law, as of relatively recently, and have been lobbying for them forever with millions of dollars along with H&R Block and a few other places

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

in addition to the whole "conservatives want paying your taxes to be an annoying chore" their larger goal is to try and trick you into overpaying

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

regulatory capture!

there's a whole industry worth tens of billions set up around keeping taxes as difficult and obtuse as possible so they can charge people to help them file

for most Americans the government knows exactly how much you owe automatically and could, if not for industry interference, just send you a bill or a check automatically. This is how they know who to audit (the rich do not get audited)

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress every single one of these people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Source4Leko posted:

gently caress every single one of these people.
Punchline: almost every single one of them will go out and vote for Trmpu's reelection in November 2020, just like Fox News tells them to.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My family of 4 got $7.5k back, thanks Trump??

You gave the federal government an interest free loan, please conduct yourself accordingly next year.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Please, please Mr. President, we're sick of winning! We're so sick and tired we can't win any more!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Volcott posted:

You gave the federal government an interest free loan, please conduct yourself accordingly next year.

this is a false notion, the government doesn't need your money nor does it cackle while taking your excess withholdings and using it to buy chemicals to inject into children in border camps

the government just prints any money it needs and anything collected in taxes is just used to offset any inflation that would result from this. at the end of the year if it finds it owes the nation at large X dollars, it doesn't pull it from some interest bearing account, it just prints more out and mails you that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also the IRS has stopped offering guidance that means a drat and no rules apply anymore, there is no "proper" way to comport yourself re: withholding except doing the max and hoping for the best

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Epic High Five posted:

this is a false notion, the government doesn't need your money nor does it cackle while taking your excess withholdings and using it to buy chemicals to inject into children in border camps

the government just prints any money it needs and anything collected in taxes is just used to offset any inflation that would result from this. at the end of the year if it finds it owes the nation at large X dollars, it doesn't pull it from some interest bearing account, it just prints more out and mails you that

Yeah, but you could've used that money for stupid bullshit all year instead of getting it back as a lump sum in April.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Volcott posted:

Yeah, but you could've used that money for stupid bullshit all year instead of getting it back as a lump sum in April.

but then you couldn't have used it for stupid bullshit all at once in April

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
waiting for him to run in 2020 and say all the tax increases they saw were actually from democrats and they will all believe it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Volcott posted:

lol tax refunds are literally these people's only savings account

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

voted for bernie, got a refund

fuckin owned chuds

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

voted for bernie, got a refund

fuckin owned chuds

voted for Hillary, got a refund

i'll take my bullet now please

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I was poorer, my tax return typically went to overdue bills or repairing my piece-of-poo poo car. I could definitely have used that money throughout the year.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my only regret is that I voted for Bernie, got a refund, but foolishly spent it on a rifle instead of something with good post-collapse uses like one of those machines that jerks you off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philthy posted:

waiting for him to run in 2020 and say all the tax increases they saw were actually from democrats and they will all believe it

this is what who’ll happen

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Volcott posted:

People who get large refunds like this generally have withholding of zero and get that from the ACTC and EITC, by the way.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was told I should post here, although I didnt vote for Trump because I'm not a complete loving moron (just mostly a moron).

Thanks to Trump and his tax 'cuts', I owe way more in taxes this year. And it isn't because I wasn't withholding enough since I am an independent contractor and use a 1099. I make somewhere between 38-40k in income, but since I am a messenger who uses my own car, I used to be able to deduct a lot of milage. But not anymore!

Last year I paid roughly 450 in federal and 330 in state taxes. I just found out that this year I will owe ~1500 in federal and 550 in state taxes. That is tripling my federal taxes and not quite doubling my state taxes.

Thanks Trump and you greedy loving Republicans. I hope you all catch gonorrhea and burn in hell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the irs withholding calculator I used last April was only off by 250% lol. it’s a lot of poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TMMadman posted:

I was told I should post here, although I didnt vote for Trump because I'm not a complete loving moron (just mostly a moron).

Thanks to Trump and his tax 'cuts', I owe way more in taxes this year. And it isn't because I wasn't withholding enough since I am an independent contractor and use a 1099. I make somewhere between 38-40k in income, but since I am a messenger who uses my own car, I used to be able to deduct a lot of milage. But not anymore!

Last year I paid roughly 450 in federal and 330 in state taxes. I just found out that this year I will owe ~1500 in federal and 550 in state taxes. That is tripling my federal taxes and not quite doubling my state taxes.

Thanks Trump and you greedy loving Republicans. I hope you all catch gonorrhea and burn in hell.

technically i only recommended you come here to gawk at people but of course all posting is welcome

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nottherealaborn posted:

My wife and I owed back $4,000 thanks to the terrible withholding gently caress ups by the new tax plan. Guess we gotta just withhold extra this year.

I talk to loads of customer at work and one guy got hit with 10k. Fuckin lmao.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

technically i only recommended you come here to gawk at people but of course all posting is welcome

I suppose that is true, but I wanted to bitch some more.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TMMadman posted:

I suppose that is true, but I wanted to bitch some more.

u passed the tthread admission test, welcome comrade

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my tax return went up!... To 23 bucks compared to 2 the previous year

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So that conservatives can pass “tax breaks” where the average person’s taxes actually go up and so that corporations can make a profit off of doing your taxes for you.
There is actual legislation to make it illegal for the IRS to make doing your taxes easier and cost-free because it would interfere with corporations that want to sell this “service” to you. This is an issue that has bipartisan support.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Homeless Friend posted:

I talk to loads of customer at work and one guy got hit with 10k. Fuckin lmao.

we had to get a real accountant for our taxes this year (lots of inheritance bullshit to deal with) and he told me that they were considering hiring a grief counselor back in january because so many of their clients were breaking down weeping in their office

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Augus posted:

So that conservatives can pass “tax breaks” where the average person’s taxes actually go up and so that corporations can make a profit off of doing your taxes for you.
There is actual legislation to make it illegal for the IRS to make doing your taxes easier and cost-free because it would interfere with corporations that want to sell this “service” to you. This is an issue that has bipartisan support.

Just wait until what constitutes the personal tax breaks part of this bill sunset while the corporate ones remain

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

doesn’t the standard deduction go down every year ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

doesn’t the standard deduction go down every year ?

not sure, all I know is that what we're experiencing now *IS* the front-loaded and most pro-individual part and from here it gets worse and worse for regular people