Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh the best part about my taxes is that I can't really afford my taxes this year, so I'm going to be have to put them on a credit card which means I'll be paying interest on my taxes.

But hey, I'll use my citi double cash card, so I can look forward to the 40 bucks in cash back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Oh the best part about my taxes is that I can't really afford my taxes this year, so I'm going to be have to put them on a credit card which means I'll be paying interest on my taxes.

But hey, I'll use my citi double cash card, so I can look forward to the 40 bucks in cash back.

can't you work out a payment plan with the IRS? the interest rate is for sure gonna be lower than on CC debt

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

can't you work out a payment plan with the IRS? the interest rate is for sure gonna be lower than on CC debt

I'll see what happens. I mean i could probably pay like half the bill immediately, but I just really don't like letting my cash reserves get too low.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Epic High Five posted:

Yes. Hell, they'll probably let you pay if off interest free over monthly installments. The IRS is accommodating if you actually try to work with them and aren't trying to cheat them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

doesn’t the standard deduction go down every year ?

the standard deduction was increased but removing personal exemptions actually meant that most people came out behind, before even getting into the withholding tables bullshit that really buttfucked people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

it is, the irs will offer you a 5% loan for it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the standard deduction was increased but removing personal exemptions actually meant that most people came out behind, before even getting into the withholding tables bullshit that really buttfucked people

id be curious to know who got hosed the hardest by the tax changes (it's rural republican voters, as always)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

id be curious to know who got hosed the hardest by the tax changes (it's rural republican voters, as always)

Independent contractors got really screwed because we can't use as many deductions.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

TMMadman posted:

ABSOLUTELY make a payment plan with the IRS the interest is nothing compared to the Credit Card companies.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Crazypoops posted:

ABSOLUTELY make a payment plan with the IRS the interest is nothing compared to the Credit Card companies.

The IRS is actually fairly "friendly" as an Agency goes. They have a bad reputation, which is basically 100% formed by people who didn't pay their taxes complaining about them.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FMguru posted:

Punchline: almost every single one of them will go out and vote for Trmpu's reelection in November 2020, just like Fox News tells them to.

They might die first.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

The IRS is actually fairly "friendly" as an Agency goes. They have a bad reputation, which is basically 100% formed by people who didn't pay their taxes complaining about them.

Yea, every interaction I've had with them has been fairly pleasant (though I've never given them a reason to be on their poo poo list either). The main problem I've had is that it's difficult as hell to talk to a live operator and their automated phone tree is essentially set up to discourage callers from ever talking to a human being.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Source4Leko posted:

They might die first.
:unsmith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

new yorkers, new jersians, and californians that bought houses

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good news! More deductions were found and I won't owe as much.

My taxes still went up but only a few hundred. So now I can sort of afford it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

pseudanonymous posted:

Honestly, same with the SSA. It's just that getting a hold of them or visiting their offices is Hell because the Republicans intentionally gently caress their funding over so they have like, 5 people for 5000 cases.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TMMadman posted:

Lol what huge deductions were Missed? Good for you though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol what huge deductions were Missed? Good for you though.

Apparently turbo tax didn't carry over some expenses from last year.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

bro use credit karma tax it’s free and u can see if you missed any deductions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that feel when you made so little last year you get all the taxes you paid back and TurboTax steals like 1/12th of it preemptively

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

They might die first.

my chud mom did a few months ago which is a good start, hopefully the rest will follow

Thank god that "taxing tuition waivers for grad students" poo poo didn't go through or I would have been well and truly boned

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

And people in Illinois! Like me! I paid 10k in property taxes (taxes for the previous year and the current year until the date of the sale) and I couldn't deduct a loving dime. Thats 20% of my income.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I'm fine with how much I had to pay in taxes this year, but my income is probably going up by like $30-40k since I'm an independent contractor and am getting absolutely slammed this year so next year is probably going to suck. :ohdear:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

but then you couldn't have used it for stupid bullshit all at once in April

we used ours on a Disney cruise for next year :getin:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fits my needs posted:

bro use credit karma tax it’s free and u can see if you missed any deductions

it also does your taxes wrong

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i was paying a bunch of estimated taxes all year based on my 2017 bill in order to avoid getting hit by penalties this year. thanks to trump tax reform and a flatlining 2018 stock market i was overpaying by thousands of dollars. thx trump gunna give extra $$$ to aclu to cuck ur poo poo up

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh good, only terrible people then

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

All 3 states have sizable chud populations (Staten Island, OC, New Jersey).

You know how lovely libs catch flak for writing off entire red states and consigning them horrific policies implemented by the GOP? Well the GOP is hilariously worse, writing laws to target rich white chuds who happen to live in blue states.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i was paying a bunch of estimated taxes all year based on my 2017 bill in order to avoid getting hit by penalties this year. thanks to trump tax reform and a flatlining 2018 stock market i was overpaying by thousands of dollars. thx trump gunna give extra $$$ to aclu to cuck ur poo poo up

Haha same. But I also bought a house so :shrug:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I somehow made $2k back which is nice.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Source4Leko posted:

And people in Illinois! Like me! I paid 10k in property taxes (taxes for the previous year and the current year until the date of the sale) and I couldn't deduct a loving dime. Thats 20% of my income.

lol goddamn your house must be worth the best part of a million bucks if ur paying 10k property taxes in illinois haha

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JFairfax posted:

lol goddamn your house must be worth the best part of a million bucks if ur paying 10k property taxes in illinois haha

Looks like someone doesn't understand Illinois property taxes and how regular owners get screwed because rich people hire lawyers connected to the Chicago city council who get their property taxes lowered, but since the state relies on property taxes they lowered taxes actually just get shifted to other people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TMMadman posted:

Looks like someone doesn't understand Illinois property taxes and how regular owners get screwed because rich people hire lawyers connected to the Chicago city council who get their property taxes lowered, but since the state relies on property taxes they lowered taxes actually just get shifted to other people.

i dunno i know how much property tax in illinois i pay and it's a lot less than 10k

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
sometimes it feels like the single best reform that could happen is to prohibit private for-hire legal representation and require a court-appointed lawyer employed by the state to represent people in all legal actions

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Shipon posted:

sometimes it feels like the single best reform that could happen is to prohibit private for-hire legal representation and require a court-appointed lawyer employed by the state to represent people in all legal actions

What about the many cases where you sue the state?

Though I guess thats where it could come in?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

What about the many cases where you sue the state?

Though I guess thats where it could come in?

really not much different than the current state of affairs. the state already has immunity from lawsuits in most instances.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Philthy posted:

waiting for him to run in 2020 and say all the tax increases they saw were actually from democrats and they will all believe it

Yeah he’s going to tell people he tried, it’s true, but the Democrats wouldn’t let him, you know what I’m talking about. Total unhinged. Maybe next year.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
trump

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is some real who shaves the barber poo poo tbh. I’ll leave it to the logicians so long as I can get in line to piss on the monument.