Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 15, 1997)

:drat: Good thing they're already at school because somebody just got completely schooled.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Modesty rules so much. I like that the other soldiers are just really curious to see her in action and are all :swoon: when she shows off her moves.

Is this gonna be a storyline about how the son needs to learn how hard it is for poor Lynn to raise his ungrateful rear end and apologize for saying something mean to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

Is this gonna be a storyline about how the son needs to learn how hard it is for poor Lynn to raise his ungrateful rear end and apologize for saying something mean to her?

It's definitely one where she vacuums into the room where he's talking on the phone apparently without warning lmao

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

honestly I think the older artwork actually looks nicer

I agree, the new stuff looks worse.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I looked and couldn't find information about how many papers 9CL is in now.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I find the idea that little kids might sit around watching toy-unboxing videos for fun a little disturbing.

get with the times, grandpa

your parents probably didn't like what you watched either

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I find the idea that little kids might sit around watching toy-unboxing videos for fun a little disturbing.

My nephew is 6 and I'm kind of disturbed when I see him youtube nothing but unboxing videos and soulless Flash animations. But the amount of time he spends on it vs. playing outside or with toys is actually negligible, and I basically watched nothing but cartoon toy commercials as a kid myself.

It's creepy to see how laser-focused this stuff is just to generate ad views, though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:(

homeless guy posted:

get with the times, grandpa

your parents probably didn't like what you watched either
I was mostly upset about the rampant consumerism inherent in the videos than the content, but then I read this comment:

davidspackage posted:

My nephew is 6 and I'm kind of disturbed when I see him youtube nothing but unboxing videos and soulless Flash animations. But the amount of time he spends on it vs. playing outside or with toys is actually negligible, and I basically watched nothing but cartoon toy commercials as a kid myself.

It's creepy to see how laser-focused this stuff is just to generate ad views, though.
and realized what I watched was really pretty close anyways.

I do think there's a lot of good cartoons for kids out there that I would rather they watch than unboxing videos though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I ended up ordering the Modesty Blaise book from England for like $101 shipped. Hopefully it actually shows up and I haven't been robbed!

Super excited for it, I'm glad someone knew it existed and said something!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/04/09/nancy-artist-olivia-jaimes-continue-make-comics-page-lit-one-year/

NuNancy hits one year.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've forgotten, did they ever actually explain why an unknown person a criminal suspect (Heloise) shouting that accusation about Sahara while running away from a plane crash was enough for the police to actually take him down?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

I do think there's a lot of good cartoons for kids out there that I would rather they watch than unboxing videos though.

Oh absolutely. I feel like a grandpa myself saying it, but I think a kid gets a lot more out of a cartoon with a coherent plot and a nice message than watching some dude one-handedly trying to push parts out of their packaging for a toy that's no longer sold and telling the kid watching to push the little bell under the video, okay lil' buddy?

gently caress I hate em

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Oh boy, my absolute favorite moment from this entire case is coming up next!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Kenan & Kel Classic

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/9/52

Mopsy 10/14/41

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1986)

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Powered Descent posted:

I've forgotten, did they ever actually explain why an unknown person a criminal suspect (Heloise) shouting that accusation about Sahara while running away from a plane crash was enough for the police to actually take him down?

IIRC the police were letting him go and some undefined 'government agent' types arrived and arrested him, I guess implying they knew who he was and were after him before he fled.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just regular spook poo poo. They know what's going on, they're scared of being shown up by a man in purple tights who might have the ark of the covenant in his back bedroom.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 13, 1931)

Peanuts (April 11, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Autoerotic-Asphyxiation Lane

Rip haywire

Out Our Way (May 19-21, 1932)

Thimble Theater (November 2, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (November 15-17, 1923)

And speaking of abrupt termination, Dok's Dippy Duck ended one week later. We'll talk more when we get there.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is spoiled for choice.

Working Daze explores a new fetish: bondage.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is Pagliacci.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the therapist in pros and cons is pretty fuckin bad at his job

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (April 11, 1972)

quoting this for later because reasons

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress is up with everyone in Peanuts making GBS threads on cats

Like goddamn

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 15, 1997)

It's so often small details that can make a great comic. I find Ruth pulling Gene into that comforting hug in the last panel quite touching.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I fully agree. But I also have to admit that if those were around when I was a little kid I would have loved them.

Haifisch posted:

1977 Spiderman

It's somehow comforting to me, finding out that Newspaper Spider-Man was always kind of a dim bulb.

amigolupus posted:

I loving hate that Gunther keeps bringing up Bets dating Les like it's a mark against her and she doesn't get mad at him for it. What an entitled piece of poo poo. I bet the comments section for this comic is lapping this up, huh?

The person you would think totally is, anyway, but I usually don't like to dive deeper than the featured comment.

There's something about Bets that makes her seem untrustworthy. I can't put my finger on what it is, but just something about her...

The truest thing Gunther has ever said. Being friends with Luann carries no benefits.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also have Everett straight up killing a dude

Now I need to work "thimblerigger" into casual conversation somehow.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

And speaking of abrupt termination, Dok's Dippy Duck ended one week later. We'll talk more when we get there.

Oh man, I'll sorely miss that old rummy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: What REALLY happened to Butch and Sundance (very probably not what actually happened), or Meeting the big bad, or Inspector Estevez gets a nasty surprise

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Johnny Walker posted:

:(

I was mostly upset about the rampant consumerism inherent in the videos than the content, but then I read this comment:

and realized what I watched was really pretty close anyways.

I've downloaded old classical kids shows like Pippi Longstocking, Emil of Lönneberga, and the Moomins, Pettsson and Findus as well. They are favorites of the kids and the Pippi and Emil shows were made in the 60s and 70s. Astrid Lindgren made some pretty timeless stuff.

Can't shield them from everything but at least I can show some alternatives to the mass consumerist crap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Beetle Bailey

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Mark Trail

Reply All

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Beetle Bailey

:catstare:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

edit.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
They actually famously sent the general into sensitivity training in the nineties to head off just this very thing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Kenan & Kel Classic

So a strip of Rudy imagining eating his stepfather, and a "joke" about an activist spray-painting a still-living, sentient being so they won't get eaten. This strip doesn't waste any time building itself to be a hellworld.

Julet Esqu posted:

The person you would think totally is, anyway, but I usually don't like to dive deeper than the featured comment.

There's something about Bets that makes her seem untrustworthy. I can't put my finger on what it is, but just something about her...

The truest thing Gunther has ever said. Being friends with Luann carries no benefits.

:lol: at this paranoid incel logic. "How DARE people think that poor, innocent Gunther is a piece of poo poo? He only demanded a woman that he's on a first date with to explain herself for going out with that awful Les! That's such a small thing and he shouldn't be blamed for that! No, no, clearly the problem here is with HER. She has to be Unworthy somehow..." Like gee, maybe Bets dating liars and cheaters is a pattern and that means Gunther is right up there with them.

Oh, gently caress youuuuuu! This is just complaining how "them lazy kids" are so greedy for asking for wages that aren't crap.

Yeah, you go nag and threaten that lazy, useless bum, Lynn. Surely he's not upset or worrying about something going wrong in his life that's making him not feel the need to do anything.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (Sept. 16, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 16, 1997)

Garfield Classic (Sept. 16, 1987)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hobnob posted:

The Perishers (1983)

I've been meaning to mention this for ages, but I just love the lower-case lettering used for Baby Grumplin's speech in The Perishers.