Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

There are very specifically secured/sanitized computers for seeing what's on these sorts of things.

This was not one such machine.

I am here to revoke the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, basically. The fact that it was his computer and not the computer says a lot. Typically if theres a suspicious computer thing you put it on an empty system with nothing important and no internet/network connection. That way if it say... tries to take over the system it takes over a useless empty box instead of something harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Starting with that NSA guy who was fired a couple of years ago for taking his work laptop home with him and getting it owned by the Chinese, I have lately eradicated any and all lingering assumptions that there are competent grown ups in charge of anything.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 9, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

Starting with that NSA guy who was fired a couple of years ago for taking his work laptop home with him and getting it owned by the Chinese, I have lately eradicated any and all lingering assumptions that there are competent grown ups in charge of anything.

:yeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

double nine posted:

I'm curious - from an engineering perspective, how do you stop a usb device from autostarting, assuming that at least part of the functionality will be input devices like keyboards and mice?

As in how do you make it secure to function as a bootable usb drive without also compromizing the security?

Don't transmit any electricity.
Basically it's that scene in the movie where each part takes turns saying "ah, but I knew you knew I knew you knew I knew" hopping you're the last one to know how to not give access to the file structure

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1115582655146463233

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

They've finally done it. The ultimate republican nightmare: A tax on taxes.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Capitalism Delenda Est.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The article doesn't mention it, but there are already laws or appropriation language that prevents other agencies from making their own apps, simply because it would compete with the private sector. Banning the IRS from making a tax app isn't really new ground.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

double nine posted:

I'm curious - from an engineering perspective, how do you stop a usb device from autostarting, assuming that at least part of the functionality will be input devices like keyboards and mice?

As in how do you make it secure to function as a bootable usb drive without also compromizing the security?

Serious reply, you can disable the USB ports on a device level(via bios) or partially via OS(windows and linux let you disable some or all the functionality but hardware-level exploits might go thru). If you don't trust the device-level blocks there are physical USB port blocker like this https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-USB-Port-Blocker-Green/dp/B000I2JWJ0

Autorun can be disabled at os level(which will lock simple software, hardware level exploits are hard to block) and you can enforce signed boot image to avoid autostarting an untrusted bootable usb before the os loads up(locking the usb ports if you or your it team decided so)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 9, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not just use a dedicated computer with no network cards, and boot from CD so it can't write anything to the operating system? That way if it does infect something, it's in RAM only and will be wiped on reboot, and it can't even get anywhere.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
edit: wrong thread

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 9, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

IUG posted:

Why not just use a dedicated computer with no network cards, and boot from CD so it can't write anything to the operating system? That way if it does infect something, it's in RAM only and will be wiped on reboot, and it can't even get anywhere.

Modern hardware exploits let you write/rewrite the computer bios/firmware(UEFI for instance gives you much more room for running code compared to the old BIOS systems) so a boot from cd is not a 100% sure strategy against a properly equipped state actor. The best way to be sure that you are not keeping a bugged bios/firmware in your testing stable is having a stack of "disposable" one-time use computers to use for forensics on unknown devices and then thrash the computer after use. Wasteful i know. If you don't mind using alternative architectures than the one the USB stick is likely to infect, raspberry pis don't have a bios per se on the board(it's in the SD) so it would be fairly safe for this purpose.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 9, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

IUG posted:

You could do that, but these days it's easier to mount it it on an emulated instance of Windows.

The point is, it's INCREDIBLY bad form to plug suspect USB drives into your computer. It's right up there with "Tell the 3rd party IT guy your password so he can remote install something for you". This jackass isn't part of an elite cybersecurity unit doing testing in a secure environment. He is the Paul Blart of the Secret Service.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
VMs are likely to be using host OSs USB stack.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Relentless posted:

You could do that, but these days it's easier to mount it it on an emulated instance of Windows.
The kinds of malware available to a state actor in 2019 will more than likely break out of or bypass any virtualized sandbox you build around it, because there is still a physical machine on which the sandbox is running, and there are still real ports and processors and BIOS controlling them.

(e: Using a Pi as suggested a few posts back is a great idea tho.)

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2019

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Are there no open source alternatives?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

IUG posted:

it's in RAM only and will be wiped on reboot, and it can't even get anywhere.

uuhhh.
I wouldn't bet too much on that. Restarting a computer does not guarantee that the RAM contents are still there, but it also doesn't guarantee to wipe them.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Mano posted:

uuhhh.
I wouldn't bet too much on that. Restarting a computer does not guarantee that the RAM contents are still there, but it also doesn't guarantee to wipe them.

Also can't someone have some sort of malware that overwrites the UEFI so that it's essentially there forever or until the UEFI is overwritten, or is UEFI read only?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ornedan posted:

Are there no open source alternatives?

:haw:

Do you want to be the unpaid programmer legally liable for building a tax preparation platform?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some of the nastier stuff I've read about skips even that and installs itself right to the BIOS. So you can do all the bells and whistles you want with CD booting and restarting to clear out memory and whatnot but unless you get to the point of physically isolated hardware specifically dedicated to it there's never a guarantee it's completely sanitary and safe to re-connect to a live network.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1115735245146476546?s=21

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1153066/download

https://www.ft.com/content/6cb506f0-5b0f-11e9-939a-341f5ada9d40

www.indivior.com posted:

One day, addiction will no longer be viewed through the social lens of scorn and shame. One day, addiction will no longer be a global human crisis. Our Vision is that all patients around the world will have access to evidence-based treatment for the chronic conditions and co-occurring disorders of addiction.

So, they’ll get off with a small fine?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FronzelNeekburm posted:

:haw:

Do you want to be the unpaid programmer legally liable for building a tax preparation platform?

Don't worry, I'm sure Google will have a machine learning AI for it soon enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

suboxone was mostly prescribed to serious addicts who were trying to use less heroin and because suboxone clinics often had multi-year waiting lists for people to get in, I'm not surprised that doctors who realized that it got people out of the cycle of active heroin addiction were rxing more of it than the official guidelines allowed. That was also a time when doctors were rxing 50x more opioids beyond actual guidelines and maybe 1 in 1000 of the absolute worst offenders were getting in trouble.

Suboxone treatment was a pretty clearcut case of harm reduction in practice as basically everyone getting themselves on sub were already active heroin addicts.

Like among opiate users, no one was starting a suboxone regimen just as a for fun thing

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Some of the nastier stuff I've read about skips even that and installs itself right to the BIOS. So you can do all the bells and whistles you want with CD booting and restarting to clear out memory and whatnot but unless you get to the point of physically isolated hardware specifically dedicated to it there's never a guarantee it's completely sanitary and safe to re-connect to a live network.

Maybe someone can make an in-place replacement for Flash ROM with some nice window erase ROM...

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I guess that Secret Service guy never watched Skyfall. :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moktaro posted:

I guess that Secret Service guy never watched Skyfall. :v:

"Hello, I need to find the troubleshooting article for when I plug in a USB stick and the SIS Building explodes."

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little curious why you can't just mount the USB stick as a read-only drive. Is it that the USB drive might have hardware-level malware?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a little curious why you can't just mount the USB stick as a read-only drive. Is it that the USB drive might have hardware-level malware?

Yes. When you plug in a USB device, it has to talk to your computer before it even moves any data around, so a malicious device can do all kinds of bad things just by being plugged in. Like, say, it reports itself as a USB keyboard and starts typing commands, or modify USB devices' firmware to run exploits, or access the debugging/server management parts of the motherboard.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VikingofRock posted:

Correct

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/this-thumbdrive-hacks-computers-badusb-exploit-makes-devices-turn-evil/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yes. When you plug in a USB device, it has to talk to your computer before it even moves any data around, so a malicious device can do all kinds of bad things just by being plugged in. Like, say, it reports itself as a USB keyboard and starts typing commands, or modify USB devices' firmware to run exploits, or access the debugging/server management parts of the motherboard.

I feel like it shouldn't be a difficult task to have a port that the computer only pretends to talk too and just intercepts all incoming days

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I feel like it shouldn't be a difficult task to have a port that the computer only pretends to talk too and just intercepts all incoming days

Cheaper to have throw away laptops.

Plenty of real-life Sec guys in this thread.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

suboxone was mostly prescribed to serious addicts who were trying to use less heroin and because suboxone clinics often had multi-year waiting lists for people to get in, I'm not surprised that doctors who realized that it got people out of the cycle of active heroin addiction were rxing more of it than the official guidelines allowed. That was also a time when doctors were rxing 50x more opioids beyond actual guidelines and maybe 1 in 1000 of the absolute worst offenders were getting in trouble.

Suboxone treatment was a pretty clearcut case of harm reduction in practice as basically everyone getting themselves on sub were already active heroin addicts.

Like among opiate users, no one was starting a suboxone regimen just as a for fun thing

I agree with everything you wrote, but reading the indictment, the Suboxone guys are assholes. When their patent was running out on tabs, they apparently made up a safety concern with their tablets and pulled them from the market to force the FDA to halt approval on generic tablet manufacturers (p6 - seriously read the comments these guys are dicks). Then they dropped the films which were of course a new patent. It's standard lovely pharma behavior but it's still super lovely.

I'm glad the drug is there but I wish the people making it weren't such tools.

EDIT: That indictment is a loving trip. At one point their counsel had to tell them to stop putting their plans to defraud the FDA into email.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2019

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Read-only? Like the computer can still read (and execute, thanks von Neumann) the stuff on the stick? I mean there are/were viruses distributed on official CD-Roms. Hmm, I wonder if I still have that old Internet Explorer CD with that one...

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I personally/professionally find suboxone more safe than methadone, as well. The biggest barrier to use is cost right now. Methadone is much cheaper and used a lot more for indigent populations. But you're just swapping one opiate for another, and methadone doses can get absolutely ridiculous to the point that rare adverse reactions become common because of the high dose. QT prolongation is a problem in methadone users, even with relatively young healthy people.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mano posted:

Read-only? Like the computer can still read (and execute, thanks von Neumann) the stuff on the stick? I mean there are/were viruses distributed on official CD-Roms. Hmm, I wonder if I still have that old Internet Explorer CD with that one...

Yeah, that was a bit of a brainfart on my part. I was trying to ask what HootTheOwl asked, but that's been answered at this point too, and the whole discussion is getting a little off topic IMO.

Back on topic, it looks like Bibi got overwhelmingly reelected after promising to annex the West Bank. This has some pretty significant implications for US foreign policy IMO. Trump will go along with whatever Bibi wants, obviously, but Israel is becoming an increasingly partisan issue and this flies in the face of decades of US policy. Hopefully this will convince more Dems to withdraw their blind support of Israel.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 10, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

You're badly misreading those results. He won on the narrowest margins.

e: also that projected coalition includes kulanu, which as I understand it has a grudge against Likud...?

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 10, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1115917084620464128?s=19

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

You're badly misreading those results. He won on the narrowest margins.

e: also that projected coalition includes kulanu, which as I understand it has a grudge against Likud...?

You're right, and I'm glad to see that I was wrong. I've edited my post.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Julian Assange Arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

On behalf of an American extradition warrant regarding his computer crimes.

Get the gently caress IN