Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tretch is fun but I’m glad skaven are finally getting another lord that isn’t a meme pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
A Tretch campaign is such a slog, because of his start, and then you start playing as him and it's even worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord Koth posted:

A reminder that Thanquol managed to summon Skarbrand - the most powerful Bloodthirster in existence - accidentally. Using a summoning ritual that really should have been fairly basic and known to him(he was going for a Verminlord). To say he's a giant beacon of destruction (usually of Skaven) is a huge understatement.

Well not anymore. Skarbrand still a really powerful Bloodthrister, but after his exile he was weakened and some stronger ones were created to fill in the gap.

On Ikit again, he also managed to survive to Age of Sigmar, where he became Rat Iron Man with Diamond Teeth and two Warpfire Claws. (Then stole tons of poo poo from the gods without being caught, figured out how to create Stormcast and gave himself Warp Lighting for blood along with resurrective immortality.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 9, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well not anymore. Skarbrand still a really powerful Bloodthrister, but after his exile he was weakened and some stronger ones were created to fill in the gap.

On Ikit again, he also managed to survive to Age of Sigmar, where he became Rat Iron Man with Diamond Teeth and two Warpfire Claws. (Then stole tons of poo poo from the gods without being caught, figured out how to create Stormcast and gave himself Warp Lighting for blood along with resurrective immortality.)

lmao AoS smells

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ad090 posted:

A Tretch campaign is such a slog, because of his start, and then you start playing as him and it's even worse.

I’m curious how much the whole under-empire mechanics will help Tretch. Unlike the other LLs, Tretch has basically nowhere to expand. NE is alith anar, usually with a doomstack of shadow warriors; NW he runs right into Malekeith, and Naggarond is basically impossible to take early; SW has some space but Morathi usually comes charging up pretty early, and the big open provinces are obnoxious as hell to defend; and SE is ocean. He seems like the ideal candidate for defending a small core province while slowly expanding underneath all the nearby superpowers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dandywalken posted:

lmao AoS smells

Yeah seriously, that just sounds like all the worst parts of Warhammer 40k, where you can’t throw a stick without hitting someone with like a machine gun that shoots collapsing black holes or yet another sword that cuts through reality itself or something. When everyone’s a godlike being that bends reality to their will, it’s hard to have any real stakes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Man Kroq Gar is fun, I wish I would have tried him earlier. What is a good army comp to aim for as Lizardmen early in the game? Right now I'm poor and surviving with a whole lot of Shielded Saurus warriors with some Skink Skirmisher backup, and my starting Feral Stegadon and Cold One Riders running around owning everything.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kroq-Gar for me is always start with 19 saurus and substitute in dinosaurs and skinks until you reach the number you enjoy microing.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Man Kroq Gar is fun, I wish I would have tried him earlier. What is a good army comp to aim for as Lizardmen early in the game? Right now I'm poor and surviving with a whole lot of Shielded Saurus warriors with some Skink Skirmisher backup, and my starting Feral Stegadon and Cold One Riders running around owning everything.

Yeah for Kroq stick with saurus warriors in the early game, and then start bringing in dinos. Eventually an all dino stack for Kroq is amazing, because of his lord/faction bonuses.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kroq’s ideal early game army comp is however many large dinos you can feasibly field with your income, then the rest of the slots filled with saurus. This is also his ideal mid game and late game army composition

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I highly recommend bringing skinks or terradons to chase off skirmishes and routers. Saurus can’t poo poo and you don’t wanna be wasting dinos chasing poo poo like gutter runners

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Randarkman posted:

I'd say there is. Except it's mostly to the north instead of the east. Kislev is also not just Russian and Polish, it's also got a pretty strong Turkic/Tatar thing to it, with the horse archers and such. In the fluff, Kislev is kind of split ethnically between the Gospodar majority culture (who are slavs) and the Ungol nomads (who are the Turk/Tatar analogue) who predominate in the north and east. Then beyond Kislev to the north and east over the mountains you basically have endless chaos-worshipping steppe nomads, Kurgans (who in terms of name and general "role" is based on Turkic/Scythian peoples, but appearance mostly based on the villains from the Road Warrior really), who are the people who would make up the majority of Chaos invasions in the Old World, alongside the Norscans.

On that last note I kind of hope they put in some non-player Marauder factions in Game 3 that have a more cavalry focused roster to reflect that these would not be Norscans, but Kurgans.

This all falls under the Mother Russia stereotype, right? Cossacks, Tatars, Siberians, etc etc. Whether the Tsar or the USSR, you're dealing with multiple races and peoples dominated by Russian culture. I'm saying that Kislev just also gets to pick and choose from Eastern Europe as well.

ad090 posted:

Tretch is in the best position to do an exile campaign into Brettonia which is actually the best place to stage a Skaven campaign from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zore posted:

I mean hell, I think only Grimgor is as bad as those two are which is saying something. Even Sigvald has his healing item.

Hey now Grimgor is cool. He does need some tweaks because really, he should be one of, if not the number one melee lords in the game. As it is he's a really good foot commander who can wreck infantry blobs but his particular unit bonuses are for very high end units which means he's not as good as a regular warboss or Azhag when it comes to leading mid tier armies.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ad090 posted:

FLC Lizardmen LL getting revealed on tomorrow's stream confirmed, 10am est.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

This all falls under the Mother Russia stereotype, right? Cossacks, Tatars, Siberians, etc etc. Whether the Tsar or the USSR, you're dealing with multiple races and peoples dominated by Russian culture. I'm saying that Kislev just also gets to pick and choose from Eastern Europe as well.

Yeah, that's a good point. If anyone's interested in Kislev lore and speculation on what CA might include for them based on published material alone (so no fan codex) I did an effortpost on that in this thread a while ago, which I've linked before (but it was a lot of work to put together, so I feel no shame in linking it again). Again worth noting that I based this one solely on past published material that I had access to and could track down, CA might very well go about making up new stuff for Kislev as they did for the Vampire Coast, but in all likelihood they'd start by looking at these same sources when doing Kislev before introducing their own stuff (and there's much more stuff written down for Kislev than for some other minor factions that might make it in).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 10, 2019

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Any mod recommendations for making diplomacy more robust? While the name of the game is Total War, I'd love to be able to interact with my neighbors beyond "hey do you want some iron/let's beat up this other guy/join me or die."

I don't necessarily need a mod that turns it into a game of Civ 4*, but being able to restore lost factions, create alliances/vassals that count towards objectives, and the ability to ask the ai "hey dont walk all over my border/move that army away/dont capture this city" would be fantastic.

*If there exists a mod that somehow adds fantasy World's Fairs and Wrestlemania UN councils I will love you forever

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Any mod recommendations for making diplomacy more robust? While the name of the game is Total War, I'd love to be able to interact with my neighbors beyond "hey do you want some iron/let's beat up this other guy/join me or die."

I don't necessarily need a mod that turns it into a game of Civ 4*, but being able to restore lost factions, create alliances/vassals that count towards objectives, and the ability to ask the ai "hey dont walk all over my border/move that army away/dont capture this city" would be fantastic.

*If there exists a mod that somehow adds fantasy World's Fairs and Wrestlemania UN councils I will love you forever

I'm not sure if most of these are even possible in the game, though I believe there is a region trading mod, and I think there's a mod for the Empire at least that introduces some scripted mechanics to make relations to the Elector Counts more important without outright annexing them.

They seem to be introducing a whole host of new diplomacy options in the upcoming three kingdoms game though. If that turns out well, I hope, but kind of doubt, that at least some of them will find their way into Warhammer 3.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1155808469

This is pretty great if you want to create vassals and buffer regions.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Some more thoughts on Kislev and assuming they get to be a full DLC faction for game 3 with 4 legendary lords with different starting positions here's a couple of additions to my speculations in the effortpost about possible legendary lords, their specializations and start positions

1) Tzarina Katarin in the city of Kislev, race leader, caster lord with Lore of Ice, campaign abilities focused on absolutist reform and army professionalization granting increased veterancy and reduced upkeep costs for "professional soldier" unit types (Kossars, Streltsy and Gryphon Legion), also possibly increased rank for Ice Witch and Chekist hero recruits (she's the head of the Ice Witches and a ruthless autocrat who employs secret police to secure her power and eliminate opposition).

2) Tzar Boris Ursus, fat fight man with glorious moustache who rides a bear. Actually dead, but who gives a poo poo? As he died fighting invading Kurgans and that led to Katarin becoming Tzarina (she's his daughter) it'd make sense to give him a start position outside of Kislev to justify including him, which would also give some variety to the faction rather than all LLs starting in Kislev istelf, he could lead a "Kislevite Expedition" faction somewhere out in the Chaos Wastes or Eastern Steppes. Mostly he'd just be a melee powerhouse, campaign bonuses would include buffs to priests of Ursun heroes and all bear units (I left out bear cavalry from my list, because I like bears more as heroic mounts than mounts for a regular miliary unit, but CA likely will include a bear cavalry unit), and possibly public order boosts due to him having been very popular and beloved by the Kislevites.

(The first two are basically shoe-ins being the only special characters Kislev has had, the two below are much more pure speculation, but seem like reasonable guestimates for what CA might choose to do, to me at least).

3) Ungol LL (possibly the only-mentioned Nyvena from the WFRP supplement, though if they go with him or make up their own, it'd largely be up to CA to fill in nearly all the details anyway) starting in the north, possibly the city of Praag (the Ungol capital, which makes it more like IRL Kazan really than Prague), type of lord would be pretty much entirely up to CA, but a ranged or hybrid lord seems the most fitting for a nomadic people. Comes with boosts to Ungol units, and possibly increased morale or attack against Chaos factions as campaign bonus as well as removing Chaos corruption (that is "increasing Untainted" as its known).

4) Gunpowder-crazed Boyar (as he/she is referred to in the WFRP suppelement) in Erengrad, who established the Streltsy handgunners in imitation of Empire handgunners, with added Kislevite flair. Could be a ranged LL, armed with a crazy rear end rifle or something like that, with buffs and auras that boost ranged damage and reload speed kind of like the Vampire Coast's gunnery wights. Campaign bonuses could be boosted trade income and relations with Empire provinces factions, Erengrad is basically St. Petersburg and has substantial cultural influence (as well as a large expat community) from the Empire, could perhaps also benefit from having access to a couple of Empire artillery units, similarly to how Arkhan the Black has access to Vampire Counts units. Again like the Ungol LL mentioned above, it'd be almost entirely up to CA to make up the details for this one, but this one, a gunpowder focused LL with a start position in the most Empire-facing city of Kislev seems like a shoe-in to me, and would make for a fun variation with a somewhat different playstyle compared to how Kislev would normally be a heavily cavalry-focused army.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 10, 2019

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Q: if we get playable/more lords Kislev, will all the lords' voice lines still be 80% "Kislev."?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
"I hate snow."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kislev should just do the Tilean thing and say things about their god, Sigmar, and refer to their faction as the Empire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yeah seriously, that just sounds like all the worst parts of Warhammer 40k, where you can’t throw a stick without hitting someone with like a machine gun that shoots collapsing black holes or yet another sword that cuts through reality itself or something. When everyone’s a godlike being that bends reality to their will, it’s hard to have any real stakes

He lost to a buff guy in slugging match. (Whose only power was being about as strong as two dudes.) And then was temporarily killed by a large bird. He was not god like or capable of bending reality.

Hell his master plan was largely just trick the good guys into thinking things were a bigger deal then they were. (By sending clan rats to die, like a true skaven general.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 10, 2019

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

RBA-Wintrow posted:

"I hate snow."

"I LOVE Snow!"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Cheka is Soviet, later Tzars had Ochrana, and Ivan the Terrible had Oprichnina. I hope they don’t go in that direction, and martial heroes are “Elder Boyars” or something. Otherwise you can be sure some enterprising Wehraboo mods Witch Hunter into Einsatzgruppenfuhrer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

alex314 posted:

Cheka is Soviet, later Tzars had Ochrana, and Ivan the Terrible had Oprichnina. I hope they don’t go in that direction, and martial heroes are “Elder Boyars” or something. Otherwise you can be sure some enterprising Wehraboo mods Witch Hunter into Einsatzgruppenfuhrer.

Who gives a gently caress what they do?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I just wanna see Winged Hussars arrive to smash Archaon and his goons. Maybe led by a dude riding a bear and sporting a fantastic mustache.

War wagons, ice witches and Mongol horse archers are just icing on the cake.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol it’s Tic Tac To

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Wow so we were all wrong. Except for Azran

ad090 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 10, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
And his bonuses are all for Terradons and campaign movement. Starting location is also nowhere near Brettonia lol.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well his unique rite, that of resetting all Lord and Hero movement points, sounds insane.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Waiting to see where he starts in ME. Don't care much for his start in Vortex (in not-africa, close to Krogar and Queek.)

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Perhaps they're saving Nakai for a Lizardmen start in WH3, somewhere on those islands south of the Darklands.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ummmm

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Need to see how good his buffs to flyers are. At a certain point for me at least I phase flyers out and usually got for temple guard/dinos for most stacks.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also Skink buildings go up to 4 to grab Salamanders.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

ad090 posted:

Wow so we were all wrong.

Speak for yourself.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CA's getting pretty decent at seeding false leads, hah.

EDIT: lol, reddit's losing their poo poo. TBH, I like the idea of a flying Lord in the DLC of the gun rats and the guerilla lizards, because it makes the Vietnam jokes even stronger

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The only iffy thing is he's a flc lord, but the major units he buffs are a dlc-only unit.