Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's my loving horseshoe pit and you know it. That tears it. I'm getting quotes from all the lawn redistricting services in the area AND the property dispute aggravation companies and we're settling this matter in court no later than 2214.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i checked out bad blood from the palo alto library :cool:

this guy did not run the book by a scientist tho, cause there are some lol science definitions in here.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 10, 2019

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

they should just add a permanent address field to the back of the passport card and green card, maybe drop the initial issuance fee, and they would be the same as the national id cards in almost every other country. states can go back to just issuing driving permits instead of dealing with the documentation requirements, long lines and confused people that come with real id

you can do that in some states; when i got my license i had several choices, one of which was a non-real id driving privilege card. they had all these tiers available

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

you can travel within the eu with a national id card as long as it has the appropriate eu stamps on it. idk if the egates can scan them the way that they scan passports tho. but it’s the size of a card so fits in your wallet more easily

id cards don't work at egates as they lack the chip with photo and fingerprint data. it's usually worth taking a passport to use the egates even if an id card works since you never know when your plane will arrive right behind one full of tourists who clog the staffed lines

Broken Machine posted:

you can do that in some states; when i got my license i had several choices, one of which was a non-real id driving privilege card. they had all these tiers available

in other states, the only difference between a compliant an non-compliant card is the requirement of two proofs of address vs one, in which case it's not even worth getting a non-compliant one

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

crabrock posted:

this guy did not run the book by a scientist tho, cause there are some lol science definitions in here.

Like what? I didn't notice anything egregious

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

crabrock posted:

i didn't notice anything ridiculous but i doubt it was any worse than what theranos was actually trying to do, lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

graph posted:

i use hrblock and i filed last weekend and fatfingered an entry and after clicking next the site was like 'uh why dont you review this again'

Captain Foo posted:

don't use h&r block

yeah. I've been using freetaxusa.com the last several years and it's been good and simple handholding me through it just fine. im sure all of them are scummy and bad, but at least they're less bad than Intuit and HRBlock. would recommend

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
asses teh yostax

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

asses teh yostax

i already have to read your posts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that's a surcharge!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, and at the same time the 1040 form was "streamlined" in the sense that most poo poo now just lives on another form you have to look up. Not to mention most of the good deductions that help people in the most precarious situations in their life got tubofucked if not outright eliminated.

There should just be one tax form with one line and it says "How much above 100k did you make (wages, stocks, bonds, etc)?" and then the IRS takes that.

that's because of iirc ted cruz's dumbass "fit it on a postcard" proposal

aaaaand the previous year's tax prep costs used to be deductible, but not anymore lol

Shaggar posted:

high tax states will complain because the current system lets them steal from the federal government, but they can gently caress off and deal with it or fix their own systems

lol the high tax state of california's theft from the feds

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

turbotax's explanation for why i had to pay more money included scare quotes around "fit on a postcard" which i thought was funny

yes i know they were just literally quoting and not scarequoting, you're not going to retroactively take away the giggle that i had

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

haha right?

current guy i’m working with is a republican and has been bitching about how his taxes went up. somehow me pointing out that republicans raised his taxes just isn’t sticking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rex-Goliath posted:

haha right?

current guy i’m working with is a republican and has been bitching about how his taxes went up. somehow me pointing out that republicans raised his taxes just isn’t sticking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ask him how the walls going

we all know that’s his real motivation to be a Republican

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaaaand the previous year's tax prep costs used to be deductible, but not anymore lol

state and local deductions are subsidies for those taxes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i like to think of it as being a kickback for basically being the federal income

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

state and local deductions are subsidies for those taxes

maine receives $1.74 for every dollar it gives to the feds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its a poor state. the wealthy ones need to pay their share

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
welfare for me but not for thee

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sagebrush posted:

Like what? I didn't notice anything egregious

nah, just little things like "earned a postdoctorate from stanford" (it's a job position, you don't get anything like a degree) and "chemoluminescent immunoassay (assay is synonymous with 'blood test')" which A) assay is not necessarily the hardest concept to grasp in that phrase andB) it doesn't mean "blood test" so much as "any test."

minor nitpicks the rest of the book is fantastic :)

i went to a meeting yesterday where somebody told us we should consider selling scientific papers by the paragraph from the block chain and it was pretty lol moment for me.

he was convinced that scientists would jump at the chance to sell their own work instead of paying publishers to do it. like... the people who upload preprints for free and the point of a journal is the prestige, not to sell it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

quote:

You’ve probably already read about Quarkus, but you may not know that the superfast startup speed of Quarkus makes it the best candidate for working with Knative and serverless for your Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) projects.

Quarkus, also known as Supersonic, Subatomic Java, is a Kubernetes native Java stack tailored for GraalVM and OpenJDK HotSpot, crafted from the best-of-breed Java libraries and standards. Knative is a Kubernetes-based platform to build, deploy, and manage modern serverless workloads. You can learn more in this article series.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I made a bot read 1000 startup proposals and

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

crabrock posted:

(assay is synonymous with 'blood test')

assay just means test, it's also used in mining - a fire assay is a destructive test to see what kinda metals are in a rock dug up outta the ground

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ADINSX posted:

Yeah same. I used turbo tax for the first time... I used to go with an accountant but even the premium version of turbo tax is cheaper (Still extremely expensive)

I'm playing exactly into their hand... I even had to talk to a CPA (integrated into the software) and at the end the poor guy gave me the spiel about the survey and how the 10s help him out. So of course I wanted to help him out and one of the questions was "how much does turbo tax care about you the customer" and I had to say 10 because if I didn't he'd get dinged.

So now they can take that crap to congress and say "see, our customers love us, much better than some stuffy government program you would make!"

i used creditkarma cause its free and works well enough

Shaggar posted:

deductions and credits should just be eliminated entirely so the irs can just take out exactly whats needed from every paycheck and you never interact with them ever.

readjust the brackets appropriately to shift the burden to higher brackets and be done with it.

:hai:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

assay just means test, it's also used in mining - a fire assay is a destructive test to see what kinda metals are in a rock dug up outta the ground

yes, that's what i was nitpicking. the author said it meant "blood test"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
immunoassay does sound cooler tbf

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

By the way, usually your local college offers free tax prep if you're not going to do a lot of deductions.

Of course, that would involve interacting with non-STEM parts, but I'm sure you can deal. If you can't, just say it's mathematics! Simple.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

extreme nope

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*ring ring* hi, it's your boss. you're two standard deviations above our average for maternity leave. come back or you're fired

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

*ring ring* hi, it's your boss. you're two hours above our average for maternity leave. come back or you're fired

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
no, i have the data right in front of me, you merely suffered class 2 vaginal tearing which is a typical outcome - if you had required sutures or had complications in recovery you should have noted it in the app

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no, i have the data right in front of me, you merely suffered class 2 vaginal tearing which is a typical outcome - if you had required sutures or had complications in recovery you should have noted it in the app

lol this was me trying to extend my disability leave to what the doctor actually wanted. he submitted notes saying I had areas of missing skin, tissue necrosis, etc, but because he said I was recovering at an above average pace they tried to make me come back to work 3 weeks out from a major surgery.

he had to basically say I would die if his date wasn't respected to get things approved.

I bet its a thousand times worse for pregnant cis women because giving birth is "normal" so you should be ready for action right after right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I want them to have a healthy baby because it's great for our business experience,

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm sorry, but your latest fitbit sync shows that your child is consistently waking you up at 3:30am, this is a completely unacceptable degradation to your productivity. have you considered sleeping pills and just letting the child scream through the night? i'm noting this for your annual evaluation

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Suspicious Dish posted:

I want them to have a healthy baby because it's great for our business experience,

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
federal prosecutors: well known for running bluffs and kidding around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well known for overcharging and underdelivering, atleast.