Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

Imagine all the stupid deadlines and pressure from C levels to do the impossible, except now it's quotas (that we swear don't exist guys) on traffic tickets.

I'm not defending cops, I'm just saying I bet that job will break any human being over time.

I know, I've decided that the best way to release stress is to abuse my position of power to stoke my ego. I think I'll just shoot someone and then say that I thought they had a gun pointed at me, it'll feel really nice to just let it all out, you know?

Just a regular human thing that we all just accept as necessary in society, right? It's ok, because our position means it probably won't happen to us, so out of sight, out of mind, right?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Volmarias posted:

Just a regular human thing that we all just accept as necessary in society, right?
Oi. None of that.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
ACAB you god drat morons.

Boiled Water posted:

I know I would be too if I constantly had to deal with the worst parts of society I had no hand in creating.

gently caress off with this line, nothing counts before the but

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Boiled Water posted:

all cops are bastards

But I know I would be too if I constantly had to deal with the worst parts of society I had no hand in creating.

Cops don't regularly deal with corporate executives though?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My former manager, the one whose quitting, is calling in all her favors from the last 20 years working here to try and make sure everyone who worked under her now has job offers from other departments.

I'm not sure how much of this is her looking out for her team versus trying to sabotage the VP's re-org on the way out, but I'm not complaining.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

paragon1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZhhA87d6g

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There are tons of professions who deal with the same "worst parts of society" and yet somehow don't end up as idiot jackboot thugs. Like a social worker will spend two hours trying to talk down a crazy dude to get him to sign some papers so he can collect a benefit/help/get shelter and probably get attacked, but a cop will roll up on some dude just sitting under an overpass and decide he needs to be tazed to death in 45 seconds. That's not your job environment at work.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, they usually just deal with the bagmen.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Keetron posted:

So they managed to deploy the heap of untested, rushed crap to prod?

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Guys

I submitted a facilities ticket for the broken trash compactor.

They closed it and nothing was fixed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Oh no thread turn left turn left!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lysandus posted:

The war room was dismantled with a slow fizzle yesterday. New PM put their week old box of doughnut holes in the kitchen, as if anyone wants to eat little balls of concrete.

Can't spell fragile without agile

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

So one of my jobs is running QA checks on our QA analysts to make sure they are catching the mistakes that they are supposed to be looking for. When I give them their results, they are supposed to update their work to reflect any extra findings that I have found so that it is reflected in the audit results we release.

This morning I found out one of our senior analysts failed to do this with several high severity findings last quarter, and she's playing dumb about it. I found out because a different audit group is auditing our audit. My boss is upset with because I should have made sure everyone understood the requirements even though they have been discussed in several meetings, and they have been told in writing several times too. This isn't even the first time this has happened with one of our analysts so she really ought to know already.

This comes after everyone poo poo on me for their own poor showings on the audit of their work I conducted, and I was told I need to handhold them more and use a phonecall instead of an email so that the process is more personal. The reason I use email is so there's a written record of what I told them to do. Apparently I need to wipe their loving noses for them as well.

Now I have to implement a process to prevent this ever happening again, which probably means I have to go back and make sure that each one of the 10 or so people I am reviewing has followed my instructions, or else get someone else to do it. My boss just keeps saying "This can't happen again " but has not taken any disciplinary action against anyone.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

But who audits the auditors auditors audits?

Ask not for whom the spreadsheet recalculates for, it recalculates for thee.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Tnuctip posted:

But who audits the auditors auditors audits?

Ask not for whom the spreadsheet recalculates for, it recalculates for thee.

Uhh no it doesn't you clearly have a circular formula

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I can only imagine the game of corporate telephone that occurs when auditors audit the auditors of the auditors.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Boss's Boss (B.B): "Hey, Sundae, Sundaeboss, Sundaecoworker #1, Sundaecoworker #2... I'm out sick and am supposed to be giving a presentation to a bunch of visitors from Switzerland today, then a tour of the facility. Can you guys sort out coverage for this?"
Sundaeboss: "OOO Reply"
Sundaecoworker #1: "OOO Replay"
Sundaecoworker #2: "You sent me to New Jersey this week, remember?"
Sundae: "Well okay then. Guess I'm giving a tour! Please tell me you have a slide deck ready?"

*prays for ten minutes as e-mail chain is terrifyingly silent*

B.B: *e-mails a slide deck*

Oh thank god.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: sorry for the derail, I'll try to refrain from getting drunk and posting cop stories itt. :v:

In more banal office drone news the weather in the bay has finally taken a turn for the beautiful and I'm very mad about being cooped up at my desk with nothing to do when I could be doing nothing outside and at least enjoying beautiful weather. :sigh:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

Boss's Boss (B.B): "Hey, Sundae, Sundaeboss, Sundaecoworker #1, Sundaecoworker #2... I'm out sick and am supposed to be giving a presentation to a bunch of visitors from Switzerland today, then a tour of the facility. Can you guys sort out coverage for this?"
Sundaeboss: "OOO Reply"
Sundaecoworker #1: "OOO Replay"
Sundaecoworker #2: "You sent me to New Jersey this week, remember?"
Sundae: "Well okay then. Guess I'm giving a tour! Please tell me you have a slide deck ready?"

*prays for ten minutes as e-mail chain is terrifyingly silent*

B.B: *e-mails a slide deck*

Oh thank god.

Oh man I love walking tours through my building.

Usually, 10 minutes before they come in, a C level runs in and tells me to set the room up for a tour. So I pull all of the useful but boring/ugly monitoring boards off of our display server and throw up some really cool looking yet meaningless charts, graphs, and maps. Then we work hamstrung for a few hours until the tour walks in incredibly late.

I thought we were just trying to impress executives from other companies but they made me do this for take your child to work day last year. Because impressing a bunch of 4-16 year olds is important I guess.

e: That tour was unintentionally creepy because the C level decided it would be cool to show off one of our tools that overlays the RF/Fiber plant over google maps. So he had me collect a bunch of kids addresses and put them up on the big screen.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 9, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A non trivial component of my job is touring buildings, usually things are pretty normal, but now and then we see some crazy poo poo like a guy who had a commercial gym’s worth of equipment in his second story, 2 bedroom apartment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
New management cheevo unlocked!

Brought subordinate to meeting and dumped all the action items on them!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dick move.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 24, 2020

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sounds like english probably is not Guy's first language

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sydin posted:

:lol: sorry for the derail, I'll try to refrain from getting drunk and posting cop stories itt. :v:

The cop story was fine, the collective "well they have a hard job, they should be allowed to beat someone vulnerable now and then" wasn't.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Volmarias posted:

The cop story was fine, the collective "well they have a hard job, they should be allowed to beat someone vulnerable now and then" wasn't.
Literally nobody said this. Settle down, Beavis.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hoodwinker posted:

Literally nobody said this. Settle down, Beavis.

Several of the posts after the story about pigs talking about wanting to physically beat homeless people were in the line of "well it's understandable because the job is just sooooo hard you guys :qq:" though?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nobody gives a gently caress. Both sides need to keep it out of the corporate bitching thread.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like most of the thread gives a gently caress, going by the posts. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

therobit posted:

So one of my jobs is running QA checks on our QA analysts to make sure they are catching the mistakes that they are supposed to be looking for. When I give them their results, they are supposed to update their work to reflect any extra findings that I have found so that it is reflected in the audit results we release.

This morning I found out one of our senior analysts failed to do this with several high severity findings last quarter, and she's playing dumb about it. I found out because a different audit group is auditing our audit. My boss is upset with because I should have made sure everyone understood the requirements even though they have been discussed in several meetings, and they have been told in writing several times too. This isn't even the first time this has happened with one of our analysts so she really ought to know already.

This comes after everyone poo poo on me for their own poor showings on the audit of their work I conducted, and I was told I need to handhold them more and use a phonecall instead of an email so that the process is more personal. The reason I use email is so there's a written record of what I told them to do. Apparently I need to wipe their loving noses for them as well.

Now I have to implement a process to prevent this ever happening again, which probably means I have to go back and make sure that each one of the 10 or so people I am reviewing has followed my instructions, or else get someone else to do it. My boss just keeps saying "This can't happen again " but has not taken any disciplinary action against anyone.

I feel like there was a somewhat recent change of operational management, and the prior boss was a valley guy who loaded the place up with call center drones in skilled positions because he wanted to minutely compartmentalize complex roles and turn them into assembly-line stuff just using volume to face-tank any audit landmines. The new management are a little more old school and want to go back to more industry-standard stuff like hiring experienced people instead of trying to turn noise into signal.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 10, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

paragon1 posted:

Looks like most of the thread gives a gently caress, going by the posts. :shrug:
I don't! And it still ain't the right thread for that bullshit either way.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Trash compactor door no longer locks. Now I can't force it to compact by holding the door shut.

Renegret posted:

Today, all of our garbage cans disappeared and was replaced with a single trash compactor. Certainly nothing bad could possibly happen with this.

4 months. It took 4 months for us to break it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Renegret posted:

Trash compactor door no longer locks. Now I can't force it to compact by holding the door shut.

4 months. It took 4 months for us to break it.

Look, we told you how to do it faster and with style. But you didn't listen to us.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thomamelas posted:

Look, we told you how to do it faster and with style. But you didn't listen to us.

I'm sorry for my transgressions. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me and my vindaloo covered hands.

someone had to reach into the garbage so it stopped spilling on the floor, after all.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That is really crazy to me. I've worked in two corporate offices and both had maintenance staff and good chairs. My mom had been in corporate America about half my life and the same applied there - as well as small biz America...

Maintenance replaced a very loving loud magnetic (I think that's what its called?) door lock three times with different models to find us a quieter one earlier this year. Took maybe one day for the first replacement and 2 days for the other two as they ordered different models to see if they'd be better. We now have a silent lock.

We have a selection of chairs and you get your pick as to what you find most comfortable. Everyone has motorized sit/stand desks now, but it was easy to request them before all desks were replaced. Same with other other corporate environment I was in.

Oh I am forgetting one: I did work at a Xerox call center for a month or so, while they had a few chair models and no broken trash issues, that place did suck. They wouldn't give me a standing desk even with a doctors note. I don't really consider a call center corporate America though, but maybe I should.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We need approval from a VP outside our direct line of reporting and H&S to get our chairs replaced.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have been waiting for my new chair to get ordered and delivered to me since I started. I am currently on sorta busted chair #2. I started Oct 1 lol.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I have a standing desk, but it's broken. To raise or lower it, you need to touch two exposed wires together like you're stealing a car.

Facilities stopped maintaining them two years ago as a policy, is what I've been told.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Our maintenance staff hosed up the wiring when doing routine electrical repairs and now all the light switches on the first floor of my building are somehow wired together. Everybody knows this by now and yet somehow the lights still go out about a dozen times a day because somebody exiting a conference room or bathroom turned the lights off out of reflex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SiGmA_X posted:

Oh I am forgetting one: I did work at a Xerox call center for a month or so, while they had a few chair models and no broken trash issues, that place did suck. They wouldn't give me a standing desk even with a doctors note. I don't really consider a call center corporate America though, but maybe I should.
A call center is peak corporate america. Those places with standing desks are clearly not entirely assimilated.